Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Captain Invictus posted:

they're the LADY PATRIOT'S SOCIETY I think "appearing to be nice" is about all they've got, especially with that look at the end.

I bet they're about as on-the-level as our real world "Patriot" groups

I imagine it's more likely they are actually nice people, both because they actually are being nice, and because it's probably of more benefit to Yor's character arc for them to be nice. Melinda brought Yor to the game as a ringer in order to win, which everyone wanted to do, but no-one was even mildly annoyed to have lost, and they just wanted Yor to have fun. After which they wanted her to keep hanging around with them just to chat and have fun more. That's not just "seeming" nice; that is nice.

The main thrust of the actual story is about all 3 Forgers becoming better, more complete people outside their hidden lives. The whole "save the world thing" is just dressing to help that. Loid has Anya, Yor, Scruffy and his handler as a support circle making him a better person in various ways, Anya has Damian, Becky, Elegant and Yor has...no one outside Loid and Anya, really; both of whom she is convinced she has to be a lethal assassin (under the surface) to best help. At least up to now. The Lady Patriots Society gives her support characters she can just socialize with and be normal around, people who just want her to be normal and not with any kind of agenda. Which she kind of needs if she's going to ever become more than what she is, really.

I do think it's possible that the society turns out to have darker connotations at some point down the road, but even if it does then this seems like the kind of story where the people within it are all (or at least mostly) still good people, just wrapped up in bad organizations or ideas and need to be separated from them; violently, if need be.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I imagine it's more likely they are actually nice people, both because they actually are being nice, and because it's probably of more benefit to Yor's character arc for them to be nice. Melinda brought Yor to the game as a ringer in order to win, which everyone wanted to do, but no-one was even mildly annoyed to have lost, and they just wanted Yor to have fun. After which they wanted her to keep hanging around with them just to chat and have fun more. That's not just "seeming" nice; that is nice.

The main thrust of the actual story is about all 3 Forgers becoming better, more complete people outside their hidden lives. The whole "save the world thing" is just dressing to help that. Loid has Anya, Yor, Scruffy and his handler as a support circle making him a better person in various ways, Anya has Damian, Becky, Elegant and Yor has...no one outside Loid and Anya, really; both of whom she is convinced she has to be a lethal assassin (under the surface) to best help. At least up to now. The Lady Patriots Society gives her support characters she can just socialize with and be normal around, people who just want her to be normal and not with any kind of agenda. Which she kind of needs if she's going to ever become more than what she is, really.

I do think it's possible that the society turns out to have darker connotations at some point down the road, but even if it does then this seems like the kind of story where the people within it are all (or at least mostly) still good people, just wrapped up in bad organizations or ideas and need to be separated from them; violently, if need be.

I'd assume that the Lady Patriots' Society is a gilded cage for the women of the National Unity Party, with a few hardcore ultras within it to make sure the wives of Very Important Fash don't embarrass their husbands. So, a sinister organisation that also happens to be largely comprised of pleasant, genuine people who Yor will spend her time rescuing and/or inspiring, and maybe, in one or two cases, redeeming.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They will all learn to smash balls

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
can't wait for an arc about yor becoming radicalised by mumsnet. Ostexit means Ostexit

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'd put my stakes that the menacing vibes at the end are just because she just found the mom of the kid who punched her kid

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs Desmond is the one stirring up war behind the scenes while being a present and doting mother, while Mr Desmond is an absent and cold father but not warmongering. They'll both have an issue for the plot (and the Forgers) to resolve.

I imagine the club didn't mind losing after bringing Yor on because she terrified their opponents and nearly left them in tears, which is a kind of win.

Rereading this, I've been appreciating how Yor and Loid have inverse problems but end up in the same place. Loid is 110% a dad now, subconsciously thinking of Anya as his daughter and referring to her as such when talking to people at WISE, and fumbling about in all the ways first time parents do, but then trying to convince himself he's only a fake parent. Yor on the other hand is too convinced she's not a real parent and is trying harder to do more and convince herself she can be a good mother to Anya.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Fangz posted:

can't wait for an arc about yor becoming radicalised by mumsnet. Ostexit means Ostexit

Yor becomes a TERA; Telepath Eliminating Radical Assassin

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'd put my stakes that the menacing vibes at the end are just because she just found the mom of the kid who punched her kid

I totally forgot about that (how could i forget one of the series' most iconic moments?) and yeah honestly if there's anything about Melinda that's supposed to be menacing aside from her last name it's that she found the mother of the kid who hit her kid. And also since she just saw her performance on the volleyball court, she can probably put two and two together and realize that Yor is the one who taught Anya to punch in the first place.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TwoPair posted:

I totally forgot about that (how could i forget one of the series' most iconic moments?) and yeah honestly if there's anything about Melinda that's supposed to be menacing aside from her last name it's that she found the mother of the kid who hit her kid. And also since she just saw her performance on the volleyball court, she can probably put two and two together and realize that Yor is the one who taught Anya to punch in the first place.

Yor did bring back the fact she trained Anya at the beginning of the chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

Maybe if her son knew how to dodge a punch this wouldn't be a problem. Yor is just ahead of the curve.

Lethemonster posted:

Rereading this, I've been appreciating how Yor and Loid have inverse problems but end up in the same place. Loid is 110% a dad now, subconsciously thinking of Anya as his daughter and referring to her as such when talking to people at WISE, and fumbling about in all the ways first time parents do, but then trying to convince himself he's only a fake parent. Yor on the other hand is too convinced she's not a real parent and is trying harder to do more and convince herself she can be a good mother to Anya.
The cruise and this chapter have done wonders for Yor for this reason. Glad she's getting some characters to bounce this dilemma against and next chapter is going to be some fun merger of the Mission however unwitting her role in it has evolved.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm not with people who are saying that the Patriotic Women's Society is just full of normal housewives. I think they're all totally true believers themselves, Melinda especially, and Yor being brought into their fold will be the thing that causes her to get pit against Loid directly.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i can't wait for anya and yor to complete twilight's mission without him ever becoming aware of it, thereby making him continue being a Loving Father and Husband

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm anticipating some funny hijinx and misunderstandings and also some drama

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for a tank to chase Yor into a building only for its cannon to come through the wall pointing back at the body of the tank.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i can't wait for the final boss of the series, Billy (age 7)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

where the red fern gropes posted:

i can't wait for anya and yor to complete twilight's mission without him ever becoming aware of it, thereby making him continue being a Loving Father and Husband

Just saw this tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/mydearcake/status/1552719341002653696

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

where the red fern gropes posted:

i can't wait for the final boss of the series, Billy (age 7)

I hope the Mom Volley League returns in the future, so Billy's Mom (age 38) can show up a team.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Did a re-read of some of the earlier volumes and I'd also like to see more of Yor's colleagues integrated into the story so we can cover all the angles of fleshing Yor out. The cooking chapter and girl talk were good moments for her. And I suspect her bespectacled coworker is an actual spy.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Damian's mom is a spy who is every bit as good as Twilight. His dad is a world-class assassin who's aloof nature comes from trying to keep his beloved family out of the loop. The older brother is whatever the thematic opposite of a psychic is, so, I guess, a human broadcast tower?

The family cat can see into the past and solves mysteries.

Damian is, himself, a Gundam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, Damian is just the core fighter. His nanny is the Gundam, his butler the Guncannon and his dog the Guntank. The combination sequences will just be him sitting on them as he orders them around.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/spy-x-family-chapter-66/chapter/25083?action=read

Oh man some wheels starting to turn here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This manga is so fuckin' good

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Well, that excavated quickly.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I can't believe that Yor just got her husband future killed by the Garden

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Depends whether the Shopkeeper was reacting to Loid or Donovan there. I could see it either way.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
That reaction to Anya talking about Damian all the time was strange especially when you contrast it with how she reacts when she's trying to get Yor to drop the subject.

Also Well this excavated quickly is absolute meme material

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 7, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I love Anya’s face off panel. She has thoughts about The Damian family.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love how Anya apologized for wasting food as opposed to messing with Damian :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

narm00 posted:

Depends whether the Shopkeeper was reacting to Loid or Donovan there. I could see it either way.

Didn't think of that. The garden want stability and Desmond has been framed as angling things back to war, wonder if he already isn't in their line of sight.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

It seems that Garden is actually not a big fan of the Desmond family and conservatives in general, which is interesting, because I thought they would be the Donovan-aligned counterweight to WISE. Instead it looks like they are ready to eliminate them the second they cross a certain line.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lt. Lizard posted:

It seems that Garden is actually not a big fan of the Desmond family and conservatives in general, which is interesting, because I thought they would be the Donovan-aligned counterweight to WISE. Instead it looks like they are ready to eliminate them the second they cross a certain line.

Remember that the Desmonds are pro-war--from what we know, the Garden wants to preserve the peace.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Melinda's expressions are as hard to read as Desmond, that's a nice touch. As was Anya imagining her with the same dumb face as imaginary Damian, or Damian getting so used to Anya he can just dodge her on instinct.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here's an alternative if you're like me and don't like viz's two panel viewer

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013767

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I love this dumb superwoman

e: guess I should add spoiler tags since everyone else is

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

welp loid is gonna be murdered by the garden :v: although I guess this could set up a situation where WISE and the garden team up to eliminate the conservative faction

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Xun posted:

welp loid is gonna be murdered by the garden :v: although I guess this could set up a situation where WISE and the garden team up to eliminate the conservative faction

I think we're setting up the inevitable Mr & Mrs Smith scenario.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The Shopkeeper is pretty creepy and the Garden seems to be just overtly villainous from what little we saw, so I really doubt they will be teaming up with WISE or protagonists.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

This manga is so fuckin' good

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I love that Anya always jumps to "and then my adoptive parents will throw me away." It's so painfully human.

Actually, Loid still plans on abandoning Anya and Yor after the mission is complete, right? And since Anya can read his mind, she would know that he will only be part of this family as long as it is useful to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TwoPair posted:

I love this dumb superwoman

e: guess I should add spoiler tags since everyone else is

It's hilarious because lower on that page Yor remarks about how it's great that Melinda wants to be first and the woman sitting next to Yor is just looking at her with a "what the hell is this person talking about" expression.