Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

A lot of QoL for the massive timesinks in the PSP version? Crafting needs to be "press button, get results" and ideally take and make the subcomponents for you if necessary. gently caress the RNG on CODa drops/appearances. Make them static for story progress. The game is long enough, it doesn't need to take 500+ hours to finish the game,

Took the words right out my keyboard. Piss on the pot, too many time sinks, too much RNG; this is not an MMO where the publisher needs to continually leech people for membership fees and microtransactions.

I would also like a remake to be translated, but I cannot imagine that happening.

Evil Fluffy posted:

...speaking of finishing the game, we need a final update still that wraps up this LP right?

I was of the understanding of 1 more update as well, but I'm very nervous. The closer we get to completion the more things have slowed and the more tense I get. This is my favourite game for story ever, tied with Torment, and the idea of being so close but not completing makes me anxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

tithin posted:

Let's loving gooooooo

:yeshaha:

I haven't touched this game in quite a while (why did I re-sub to FF XI again?!?!) but I would be all over a Steam or Switch re-remaster.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I checked, and waah hasn't posted anything since 16 December, 2021 when he told us that he was working on the last update. Given the total silence since then, I fear that this LP may have died 2 metres from the finish line.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I have his saves still, so worst case scenario, I'll finish it off.

But they're his saves, we'll give him a chance

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

I have his saves still, so worst case scenario, I'll finish it off.

But they're his saves, we'll give him a chance

Do you - or anyone for that matter - have any other way to contact him? Many years ago, I was following an LP where the LPer died during and his brother or some other relation came on to tell us of his passing. More than just the LP, I am worried about him personally. He has not posted anything in six months as of yeseterday, and during that time there have been no updates on the last update and we have posted communally a few dozen posts on related topics without him chiming in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, it's not like long radio silences have been abnormal.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Evil Fluffy posted:

...speaking of finishing the game, we need a final update still that wraps up this LP right?

Maybe it’s the posts we made along the way :unsmith:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I have faith.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's almost certainly official now.

Store Blurb posted:

This product entitles you to download both the digital PlayStation 4 version and the digital PlayStation 5 version of this game.

About

Tactics Ogre, crown jewel of the tactical role-playing genre, is reborn!

Based on the 2010 release, the game features improved graphics and sound, as well as updated game design, bringing to life a new Tactics Ogre that remains true to its roots.

Key Features

A tactical role-playing game depicting the struggle for control of the Valerian Isles.
Your choices affect how the story unfolds, and even how it ends, with a game system that allows for multiple paths through the game and multiple endings. The story takes place through the eyes of a young man named Denam. The decisions he makes will alter the fate of those around him, and shift the course of Valeria’s history.
Fight pitched tactical battles on three-dimensional battlefields. The completely revamped AI enables enemies to adapt their tactics to the situation, providing a battle system that always keeps you thinking and never grows old.
The class-wide level management system used in Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (2010) has changed to a unit-by-unit level system. Theorycraft your way through endless combinations of classes, equipment, skills, and magic.
Enjoy numerous playability improvements, such as a quicker pace of battle, auto save, and a complete overhaul to the controls and UI to make it easier to get into the game than ever.
The unparalleled details of the characters and backgrounds from the original Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (1995) have been painstakingly recreated in high definition.
The cutscenes are fully voiced in English and Japanese, and all of the music has been rerecorded with live performances! The voices bring new life to the complex motivations of the characters that make up the factions and shifting political alliances of this epic story.
When you advance far enough in the game you’ll unlock the World Tarot, enabling you to travel back in the story with the power of your forces intact; an incredibly useful feature in a game where your choices have such a huge impact on how the story unfolds. If you wonder what a different choice would have led to, now you can find out!
Traveling back isn’t limited to the story; the Chariot Tarot lets you rewind up to a certain number of moves during battle. In a game of tactical battles where a single mistake can mean the difference between victory and defeat, you can play without worrying that you’ll back yourself into a corner.
Enjoy a wealth of endgame content such as the 100-level Palace of the Dead.

If you already own the PlayStation 4 version of this game, you can get the PlayStation 5 digital version at no extra cost and you do not need to purchase this product. Owners of a PlayStation 4 disc copy must insert it into the PlayStation 5 every time they want to download or play the PlayStation 5 digital version. PlayStation 4-game-disc owners who buy the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition disc-free console will not be able to get the PlayStation 5 version at no extra cost.

Offline Single-Player: Remote Play allows users to connect to and play games on their PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 using a mobile device, PC, or another PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.

Offline play enabled.

Online features require an account and are subject to terms of service and applicable privacy policy.

Bunch of screenshots too, it looks sharp.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

On a related note to the LP, Waah hasn't responded to any of my messages which is concerning, and hasn't posted this year at all.

I hope he's ok.

I'm pretty deep inside my move at this stage but if there's been no movement from him by the time that's done and I'm finished moving, I'll look into picking up where he left off.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

tithin posted:

It's almost certainly official now.

Bunch of screenshots too, it looks sharp.

Per character leveling, full dual language voice acting and orchestral BGM.

All it needs is to explode the crafting pot forever and it'll be perfect

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Revamped AI means hopefully the auto-battle isn't dumb as rocks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I am actually disappointed as I wanted this to come out for Switch so that I could play it portably.

tithin posted:

On a related note to the LP, Waah hasn't responded to any of my messages which is concerning, and hasn't posted this year at all.

I hope he's ok.

I'm pretty deep inside my move at this stage but if there's been no movement from him by the time that's done and I'm finished moving, I'll look into picking up where he left off.

I'm just about to move myself, coincidentally, about only about 30 km. I think that this is the right thing to do. I'm worried about waah too.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

JustJeff88 posted:

I am actually disappointed as I wanted this to come out for Switch so that I could play it portably.

likewise. One glimmer of hope though:

the article posted:

Given that the leak comes from a PlayStation Store-focused website, it is currently unknown whether the game will also be available for additional platforms.

Disgaea 6's PS Store page also makes no mention of it being available on Switch (which it is), so there's still a chance

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Per unit leveling is the one thing I needed to jump. Dropping everything once a new class becomes available to grind them up to speed killed the momentum of every run I've ever had, moreso than the ludicrous crafting requirements.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ace Transmuter posted:

Per unit leveling is the one thing I needed to jump. Dropping everything once a new class becomes available to grind them up to speed killed the momentum of every run I've ever had, moreso than the ludicrous crafting requirements.

I'm all but sure that this will be mostly a minor visual upgrade with very few mechanical changes. Unlike FFT, which I would also like to see on the Switch, I fear that this game/IP is too niche to merit any major changes. So, I think that they will just do a low-effort 'here it is again' job.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The original was too niche to merit how good the psp port was anyways, so I hold out hope.

Tactics Ogre is held up as incredibly influential or groundbreaking with SE staff, former and current. They haven't done anything with it obviously, but I think the game carries a lot of weight with a few people there still.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The original was too niche to merit how good the psp port was anyways, so I hold out hope.

Tactics Ogre is held up as incredibly influential or groundbreaking with SE staff, former and current. They haven't done anything with it obviously, but I think the game carries a lot of weight with a few people there still.

To be fair, from what I've seen they're ditching levels being tied to classes and some other stuff people didn't like from the psp version. There's hope that the endgame is less of a comical grind and that something is done with the godawful crafting system they added.

The actual main campaign is fantastic, so I dont think anyone really cares if that gets left alone.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think it would be cool if there was a new video game in the series.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Just give me a port of Knight of Lodis attached and it'll be perfect.

I like KoL ok

:unsmith:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ps4/5/Switch/PC

magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHD91sQUOk

tithin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 4, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

GLARGLALMAMAAAA...

Sorry, I just choked on my own joy there.

Edit:

Not surprised that it's only in English and Japanese, but disappointed.

Also, interesting that a game about the misery of war is coming out on Armistic day. Can't be a coincidence.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 4, 2022

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Ah yeah ok I'm interested now.

Shame it's coming out a week before Pokemon, so it's going to be lost in the rush.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

There's a physical collector's edition in Japan that has an art book, physical script, soundtrack, and Tarot Cards.

The same Tarot Cards that were a pre-order bonus for the PSP version here in the states.

https://store.jp.square-enix.com/sp/tacticsogre_r/index.html

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I noticed two more things about this game:

1) Firstly, PC release

2) Secondly, piss-takingly high price.

It's like they are begging me to pirate it until it goes on sale for something sensible.

Solumin posted:

Ah yeah ok I'm interested now.

Shame it's coming out a week before Pokemon, so it's going to be lost in the rush.

It is a shame that a fantastic RPG that's just as good as the better-named FFT will be lost for the sake of cooke-cutter Pokemen the 77th.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I mean, it's a 3rd (4th, in JP) release of the exact same game. Obviously everyone in this thread is getting it, but let's not pretend this is some great new poo poo. When Skyrim comes out on every system I'm sure Skyrim fans are pretty excited, but nobody else is.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FairGame posted:

I mean, it's a 3rd (4th, in JP) release of the exact same game. Obviously everyone in this thread is getting it, but let's not pretend this is some great new poo poo. When Skyrim comes out on every system I'm sure Skyrim fans are pretty excited, but nobody else is.

This is a bad comparison.

Skyrim was available across Windows, Playstation, and Xbox, eventually going to Switch several years later. Its availability across all consoles and PC means if you wanted to play it, you probably had a console or computer that could run it. And if you wanted to play it today, you very easily could.

The OG Tactics Ogre was limited to SNES (Japan only) and Playstation (terrible port with load times). The PSP remake was available only on PSP. No Nintendo, PC, or Xbox ecosystems.

Opening it up to PC and modern Playstation consoles means that people who never invested in a PSP (or, for a million reasons, didn't play the Playstation version) actually have a real chance to play it. It's still not comparable to the Skyrim situation because, well, no Xbox.

It is also disingenuous to call it the "exact same game" since the PSP port made huge changes to gameplay/mechanics, writing/story, improvements to graphics, an updated soundtrack, and a bunch of new content in the main game and post-game. And DLC. It appears this version, too, has made mechanical changes, improvements to graphics, and an updated soundtrack. It's not "some great new poo poo," but it isn't just a low-effort port of the original SNES release.

In addition: there are a number of folks I've spoken to, including people who played FFT or Triangle Strategy, who never played the game that inspired those titles--and have signaled interest in this. So, not just Skyrim fans, either.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Honestly while I like the remaster I'm waiting for the news about crafting/random drops, and also don't like that they dropped the subtitle:(

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I stand by my opinion that it's overpriced.

Szurumbur posted:

Honestly while I like the remaster I'm waiting for the news about crafting/random drops, and also don't like that they dropped the subtitle:(

Small thing but, yes, I miss that too. If anything, it kept the game distinct from others. Sadly, the other games are even more inaccessible than this one. I couldn't play Knight of Lodis on GBA due to the ergonomics, for example.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If it's on PC, it's going to be relatively easily modable, so that's going to be fun.

It's also not Gacha NFT or anything, so that's nice, but I'm sad it's a reremake, even if it is extensive, it's like they are scared of just making a new one and are dipping their toe in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I appreciate that they're doing it though. It's nice to have missing games rereleased everywhere and off the PSP. Now we just need Muramasa: The Demon's Blade on PS5 and PC too.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wrong company though.

But give us March of the Black Queen, Person of Lordly Caliber, Knight of Lodis, and episodes 1-4.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vanillaware is allergic to PC gaming for some reason

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argas posted:

Wrong company though.

But give us March of the Black Queen, Person of Lordly Caliber, Knight of Lodis, and episodes 1-4.

I'm not saying they're the same company, that's just one of the few games that I know of that I'd like seeing ported forward, even though it's on Wii and Wii U as well.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Good news - I reached out to the mods / admins and they've checked in on waah - still alive, just been busy with life and he hopes to post sometime in the near future.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear it is just life bullshit that they are dealing with and hope they are doing okay.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

tithin posted:

Good news - I reached out to the mods / admins and they've checked in on waah - still alive, just been busy with life and he hopes to post sometime in the near future.

:radcat:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

tithin posted:

:unsmith: looking forward to hearing from you, waah!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I made a thread -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009374

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

The Tarot Cards and Map from the Japanese collector's edition are available separately in the US:

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/767982/tactics-ogre-reborn-tarot-card-set

The Tarot cards for TO: Reborn are the same as the pre-order bonus for the PSP Version of TO: LUCT, albeit with a different back.