Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Looks like a Kerbal piloting a Gonk droid, which raises a lot of questions I'm not entirely certain I'm ready to have answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vorenus posted:

Looks like a Kerbal piloting a Gonk droid, which raises a lot of questions I'm not entirely certain I'm ready to have answered.

Needs like 20 more boosters. But otherwise very good.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
From that grin I'd say it's probably Jeb.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The adventures in 1:148 continue (well, the boat is 160 but it looks about right)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Neat! Nice, clean work in a tiny scale. What's the project?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Neat! Nice, clean work in a tiny scale. What's the project?

Thank you! Well after giving up my dream of British rolling stock in Z scale, I went with N and i do like the compromise of detail to tinyness. I did get some fantastic 3d printed shells for 2 locomotives in Z but the thought of having to source 3d prints for every coach, wagon, building, etc... wasn't appealing. Instead I'm doing a small GWR themed layout circa 42/43 in N. Small rural fishing village so i can have fun with water effects too. That mosquito in the background is gonna have a hard landing in a sheep field on a hill.

e: the river barge is by Artitec in case anyone wanted to know, very nice resin casting. Zero cleanup required.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 23, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Airbrush propelled a tiny landing gear strut into the aether.

It’s going to turn up when I’m finishing the model uh?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Finished something not WW2 related for once. Some ICM figures and an Emhar 77 mm gun which I built ages ago. The kit is absolutely awful, but it works as pieces scattered across the battlefield

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Solid work on those figures.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah, there's a lot of character in those faces. Good job on the eyes!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Airbrush propelled a tiny landing gear strut into the aether.

It’s going to turn up when I’m finishing the model uh?

Or two months after you box it up and sadly put it on the unfinished pile.

By then you'll have forgotten which kit it was from.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Or two months after you box it up and sadly put it on the unfinished pile.

By then you'll have forgotten which kit it was from.

It’s a grebble part so no worries, but I’m annoyed - it’s a $20 HobbyCraft kit I bought for a joke diorama that turned out to be surprisingly high quality, the dashboard is photoetch and film and the fuselage is pretty detailed.

Had to file the gently caress out of some spruce attachment points to get the parts to fit flush but overall, really impressed.

Excuse my terrible attempts at dry brushing:

HobbyCraft HC1457 F9F-2P Panther.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Horrible premonitions of my armor collection in a few years.

https://twitter.com/RanRanRan01110/status/1551497902916501504

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've definitely gotten to the point where I'm ashamed to look at some of the older models I have up, but I'm also painting much slower than I used to so I wouldn't be able to replace them at the rate that my skill is improving.

Also those photos remind me that I need more Shermans.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've definitely gotten to the point where I'm ashamed to look at some of the older models I have up, but I'm also painting much slower than I used to so I wouldn't be able to replace them at the rate that my skill is improving.

It's a strange paradox that you assume you'll be able to finish kits quicker the longer you've been modelling, but actually the more your skills improve the longer it takes to finish anything as you keep finding more details to work on and extra stages/techniques to add, or your bar for perfectionism keeps rising.

I think I've finished like 3 kits this year, versus 7 or so last year and 12 the year before, and I'm spending no less time at the bench.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Horrible premonitions of my armor collection in a few years.

https://twitter.com/RanRanRan01110/status/1551497902916501504

For some reason, the dude with the white shorts standing on his sherman was a lad wearing just the white shorts. Had to zoom a bit (on phone atm) to notice it was a uniform. Mildly disappointed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

very poetic machine translation of that tweet:

quote:

I made it in the last 3 years
I tried to summarize the US and British troops during the war.
As in the historical fact, the work is often done at different times from the production factory for each car, but the painting is toned according to the image of the front and the time for both tanks and soldiers. We feel the taste between truth and illusion (*^^*)

(bolding mine)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also those photos remind me that I need more Shermans.

I still have to unpack my backlog at some point, but I know I have at least four Shermans waiting for me and I preordered the AHHQ/Takom 1:16th kit, so uh, I could be down for a group build.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I set a New Year's resolution for myself to complete 8 model kits this year. I'm up to 2, and within a couple hours' work of 3. The paradox tidal wave emulator mentioned is absolutely real. It doesn't help that over the last year or so, I've found myself getting bored of building vehicles without any context. So, every project ends up tripling in the time required because I want to do at least some kind of ground work.

When I set the "8 or bust" goal, I was really hoping to reduce my stash count. I think I've got something like 60 kits in the stash at present - all 1/35 or 1/32, or 1/350; 3 kits on the shelf of doom; and 3 in the active pipeline (including the one that's almost done). I've also got 2 on the way. :3: So, the best intentions...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
After a couple years of 7 or 8 a year, I'm really struggling to finish even one this year so far, and I've figured out that it's because I've had a lot of diy projects in the new house, so the "must fiddle with poo poo" itch is getting scratched elsewhere.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've got
-a number of builds in waiting-for-finishing-touches limbo
-two tanks I didn't realize came with workable track and no alternative
-a zvezda star destroyer 2/3 oh the way through installing lights. :shepicide:
-exactly two kits in my backlog because I managed to beat back my impulse purchase brain problems but not my can't finish a goddamn thing brain problems

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My rate ends up at about two months per tank. I started doing a lot more odd projects in the last few years that wildly affected my stats, but my stash keeps growing. At least now a lot of the stash is digital.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Turns out I was less than an hour away from being done, so here's kit #3 done for the year.

Sherman Firefly knocked out somewhere in Holland during Market Garden. This is the new Rye Field kit that I was having such troubles with the tracks with a while back. While not a perfect 1:1 of the source image, my vignette was obviously heavily inspired by it. This was a first for me as I've never done a knocked out tank before. It was a fun challenge and was mostly achieved with various pigments.

While I'm at it, here's completed build #2 for the year. This was another first for me as I'd never done a seascape before. I think it turned out okay, but I definitely learned a lot and will improve on the next one. This is a 1/144 rendition of the USS Barb ca. 1944, or at least sometime before her May 1945 refit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gewehr 43 posted:

Turns out I was less than an hour away from being done, so here's kit #3 done for the year.

Sherman Firefly knocked out somewhere in Holland during Market Garden. This is the new Rye Field kit that I was having such troubles with the tracks with a while back. While not a perfect 1:1 of the source image, my vignette was obviously heavily inspired by it. This was a first for me as I've never done a knocked out tank before. It was a fun challenge and was mostly achieved with various pigments.

You nailed the spirit of the source image. If I was at home I'd try root out a 1:72 scale US flag from a jeep for your paratrooper's arm.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Incredible work, makes me want to build another burned out tank.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I suddenly feel the urge to make a diorama that's just an empty patch of grass, and try to convince a model contest to let me enter it as armor. It's a septic tank.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gewehr 43 posted:

While I'm at it, here's completed build #2 for the year. This was another first for me as I'd never done a seascape before. I think it turned out okay, but I definitely learned a lot and will improve on the next one. This is a 1/144 rendition of the USS Barb ca. 1944, or at least sometime before her May 1945 refit.

Whoah. Every bit of this is stunning. Also where'd you get those plants from?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Great work on the Firefly. Can confirm that kit is a motherfucker and a half, so you did good to get through all those track links.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, amazing work on everything posted in the last few days! All this great work has me itching to do another plastic kit, once I finish my side project, and the weather cools down a bit. Too much of a sweatbox to concentrate on details right now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gewer, did you do the welds on the firefly or was it part of the kit?

They look really good.

Also that weathering is amazing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I only do car models and as Ive gotten better at it I've been doing fewer models per year. Oddly enough I seem to spend the most time detailing the parts you see the least meaning the interior and suspension.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

very poetic machine translation of that tweet:

(bolding mine)
Not that anyone asked but I'm procrastinating at my actual job as a translator so here's my translation.

"These are all the American and British world war forces I've made over the past 3 years or so.
On the building side I often change things for historical accuracy, matching the place and period they were manufactured in,
but on the painting side I've been a little more rough with the color matching, on both the tanks and soldiers, to match the overall image of the era and the theatre.
Personally I think things are most interesting in that gap between reality and fantasy. ; - ) "

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I only do car models and as Ive gotten better at it I've been doing fewer models per year. Oddly enough I seem to spend the most time detailing the parts you see the least meaning the interior and suspension.

same but mine is racecars and the painting and decaling of the body always goes quickly then I hit a wall when I have to put the rest of the car together. Looking at getting a spray booth for inside so that I don't have to hand paint a lot of the parts cause sometimes I don't mind it but other times it's onerous and saps mojo badly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Amazing stuff!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thank you all for the compliments. I'm really flattered. :3:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whoah. Every bit of this is stunning. Also where'd you get those plants from?

Thank you! I made them on my stencil cutter. They're cut from sheets of tamiya tape then I glued thin, annealed copper wire to the backs to give them shape. I airbrushed a few shades of green on then hand painted the vein/stalk structure. The wiry looking plants are just that... braided speaker wire teased out into shape, glued at the base to hold the bundle together, then painted.

Jonny Nox posted:

Gewer, did you do the welds on the firefly or was it part of the kit?

They look really good.

Also that weathering is amazing.

Short of the impact damage, the model is done 100% out of the box. Welds, tracks, hatches, are all kit parts. Honestly, I really thought it was/is a great kit and not an overly tough build at all. The tracks pissed me off just because they don't give you any extra pieces and several of my sprues were damaged in the box, so I had to buy more. For the most part, I've found RFM kits to fit really well. Sometimes the tolerances are so tight, parts won't fit until you apply a little liquid cement, so in that sense, kudos to RFM.

In other news, I just cracked the box on the Tamiya F-14A which has led me to two conclusions:
1) I have no idea what I'm doing with jets.
2) The number of decals is terrifying.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Took me a month to finish the first model I've built in about six or seven years. Trumpeter 1/700 USS Baltimore. I think from now on I'll assemble the kits in ascending order of tonnage - starting with a Tamiya Fletcher-class.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 28, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Someone out there determined to rehabilitate the image of model train nerds and doing a drat fine job of it.
https://twitter.com/nightoffices/status/1552974762019901440

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Someone out there determined to rehabilitate the image of model train nerds and doing a drat fine job of it.
https://twitter.com/nightoffices/status/1552974762019901440

Also an excellent solution to the layout breaking and not being unable to fix it for a while.

"Railroad workers went on strike. Union representatives are currently negotiating for a functioning control box."

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Progress on the Tamiya F-14.

The out of box cockpit is great, but I've been dying to try the new cockpit detail offerings from Quinta Studios. They are offering color 3D printed detail sets that are printed on decal paper. Wet them as you would a decal, then glue them in place. Done. The detail here is incredible and I'm pretty sure they'll be a regular on my aircraft kits. Included in these photos is also the ejection seat set from Eduard. Again, the box seats are pretty good, but the detail on the resin parts is awesome.

This kit has a reputation for being great and it's well deserved. The fit so far has been wonderful. I've grown accustomed to Trumpeter and the likes, so this kit has been a very refreshing change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Progress on the Tamiya F-14.

The out of box cockpit is great, but I've been dying to try the new cockpit detail offerings from Quinta Studios.

That is looking fantastic! Cockpits have always been my favorite part of the planes. I wish there was a line of 1/12 or 1/18 scale cockpits available as standalone models. The only ones I've ever seen like that are for the F-104 and (I think) the F-16. Kind of odd choices, but better than nothing.