Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

In an episode of “Saved By The Bell” big tv star Johnny Dakota comes to Bayside High to film an anti drug commercial. Mr Belding meets him and has no idea of any of this going on but even more unrealistic than that is the fact that Johnny Dakota apparently randomly shows up to high schools to ask about filming there. A star of his caliber would not be in that position. It would be the job of a scouting agent or perhaps a producers assistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5gV_vmabM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Toy Story 3: how do Daisy's parents not loving realize her near-her-size bear and other toys are left behind?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

oldpainless posted:

In an episode of “Saved By The Bell” big tv star Johnny Dakota comes to Bayside High to film an anti drug commercial. Mr Belding meets him and has no idea of any of this going on but even more unrealistic than that is the fact that Johnny Dakota apparently randomly shows up to high schools to ask about filming there. A star of his caliber would not be in that position. It would be the job of a scouting agent or perhaps a producers assistant.
He's a predator

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I saw an ad for a She-Hulk movie or series and it really frustrated me. The entire ad is basically a montage of how She-Hulk is stronger in every way to Regular Hulk, and yet she basically just looks like a green-skinned version of herself, while Hulk remains gigantic and massive and monstrous. Cool there's a woman Hulk, but loving stupid that they make sure she stays "sexy" and doesn't have huge muscles and maintains all the attributes we think of when we think of a woman. Don't give Hulk boulders for muscles and She-Hulk a svelte runner's body and then tell me she's twice as strong as him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I saw an ad for a She-Hulk movie or series and it really frustrated me. The entire ad is basically a montage of how She-Hulk is stronger in every way to Regular Hulk, and yet she basically just looks like a green-skinned version of herself, while Hulk remains gigantic and massive and monstrous. Cool there's a woman Hulk, but loving stupid that they make sure she stays "sexy" and doesn't have huge muscles and maintains all the attributes we think of when we think of a woman. Don't give Hulk boulders for muscles and She-Hulk a svelte runner's body and then tell me she's twice as strong as him.

That's basically what comics She-Hulk looks like too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

Toy Story 3: how do Daisy's parents not loving realize her near-her-size bear and other toys are left behind?

When you're a parent you're going constantly insane and you either assume the other one has it or forget until it's too late.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's basically what comics She-Hulk looks like too.

I was thinking that, and there probably is some canonical reason, maybe her muscle tissues are denser or something, but the real reason of course is:

Men with huge muscles = mega masculine and powerful and sexy
Women with huge muscles = not feminine enough, unattractive, weird

It's 2022 ffs

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also She-Hulk isn't stronger than her cousin in the comics.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

At least in the comics She-Hulk is very strong, but not nearly as strong as He-Hulk, but to compensate retains all her pre-gamma personality and intelligence (and most of her emotional control). My take on what you see in the trailer is that its not that shes stronger than Bruce, its that shes stronger/has greater control than Bruce expects her to be, and is better balanced. She throws a rock further than he did, but he did a lazy one-hand no-look lob. That reads to me as "He doesnt put in any real effort because he doesnt think he needs to, she puts in effort and surprises him". She does a yoga thing better than him, because... Well, have you ever seen that video where someone sticks a post-it note on a bodybuilders back and he cant get it off because his muscles get in the way of his arms bending that way?

I mean, havent seen the show, so they absolutely could throw that out and just go "shes stronger than the hulk" but I very much doubt they will because being "the strongest one there is" is kind of Hulks whole deal.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

oldpainless posted:

he's a chomo op

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah I think that particular point is something you can't decide based on the trailer and have to actually see the show for.

As for her looks, I do vaguely recall some commentary or something somewhere where they mentioned that she originally looked or was intended to be more muscular but there was pressure from executives or whatever to make her more 'feminine'. Can't remember where though and I might be misremembering so huge grain of salt and all that.

Also keep in mind that often, for trailers, they're working with an unfinished product. The shots used are often still being worked on, so there's very much a "eh, good enough for now" component to it where the final product will at least be much more polished, but probably also changed based on audience reaction. Usually not as drastically as with Sonic (for example), but things like muscle definition and stuff can be fairly easily tweaked between the trailer and release.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Comic book rules:
The hero with their name on the cover is always stronger than their similarly powered colleague.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SiKboy posted:

At least in the comics She-Hulk is very strong, but not nearly as strong as He-Hulk, but to compensate retains all her pre-gamma personality and intelligence (and most of her emotional control). My take on what you see in the trailer is that its not that shes stronger than Bruce, its that shes stronger/has greater control than Bruce expects her to be, and is better balanced. She throws a rock further than he did, but he did a lazy one-hand no-look lob. That reads to me as "He doesnt put in any real effort because he doesnt think he needs to, she puts in effort and surprises him". She does a yoga thing better than him, because... Well, have you ever seen that video where someone sticks a post-it note on a bodybuilders back and he cant get it off because his muscles get in the way of his arms bending that way?

I mean, havent seen the show, so they absolutely could throw that out and just go "shes stronger than the hulk" but I very much doubt they will because being "the strongest one there is" is kind of Hulks whole deal.

Supergirl, the CW version, did that well in a middle season where she fought Superman while he was mind controlled and defeated him. She was taught how to fight effectively by her sister (who brought her down to normal strength by training her in a Kryptonite laced room, a bit silly but it got the point across) and she tried to give her cousin an out with "Oh, you were mind controlled, you weren't at your best..." and his response to that was just "No, I thought you were Zod, I was fighting as hard as I possibly could. You just were better than me."

Actually I would love to see a superhero style fight where the hero and villain are facing off and the villain helps a civilian just out of reflex, not thinking about what he's doing, just a "Oh poo poo... you OK?" kind of thing. Just grabs the doorway as the civvy is fleeing the fight then gets all "What? I'm trying to kill you, not him. I LIKE him." Just the kind of villain where randomly murdering people isn't part of their master plan.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jul 24, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Byzantine posted:

Also She-Hulk isn't stronger than her cousin in the comics.

She isn't stronger than him here either. He throws a rock as a teaching demonstration. We've seen him do way more insane poo poo in the past than throw a boulder 15 feet or so, it's pretty apparent that he didn't think he needed to huck an island into space or whatever to make some sort of a point. The next shot is her having more flexibility and balance than him, which yeah, she's way less beefy, she probably is more flexible. Hulk not lithest one there is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

theironjef posted:

She isn't stronger than him here either. He throws a rock as a teaching demonstration. We've seen him do way more insane poo poo in the past than throw a boulder 15 feet or so, it's pretty apparent that he didn't think he needed to huck an island into space or whatever to make some sort of a point. The next shot is her having more flexibility and balance than him, which yeah, she's way less beefy, she probably is more flexible. Hulk not lithest one there is.

Hulk in the MCU isn't nearly as strong as he can get in the comics, but yeah I didn't get the impression that She-Hulk was supposed to be stronger here.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

he's a chomo op

That designation seems problemat--ooooh. Carry on.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Actually I would love to see a superhero style fight where the hero and villain are facing off and the villain helps a civilian just out of reflex, not thinking about what he's doing, just a "Oh poo poo... you OK?" kind of thing. Just grabs the doorway as the civvy is fleeing the fight then gets all "What? I'm trying to kill you, not him. I LIKE him." Just the kind of villain where randomly murdering people isn't part of their master plan.

That's happened with Spider-Man and Venom a few times.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My main irritation with the new she hulk trailer is that hulk's arm is fine. The Russo bros had decided that the gauntlet lead to permanent damage, which is why Thanos is so hosed up after snapping twice.

In shang chi Bruce still had the sling on. Hulk should have at least some scarring.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

Supergirl, the CW version, did that well in a middle season where she fought Superman while he was mind controlled and defeated him. She was taught how to fight effectively by her sister (who brought her down to normal strength by training her in a Kryptonite laced room, a bit silly but it got the point across) and she tried to give her cousin an out with "Oh, you were mind controlled, you weren't at your best..." and his response to that was just "No, I thought you were Zod, I was fighting as hard as I possibly could. You just were better than me."

I could see that with someone like Doc Ock where's he's just walking toward Spider-Man or something and then just casually has one of his tentacles knock some falling debris away from a civilian or something. Like not even something that he or the camera focus on or even acknowledges but it just happens while he's trying to rant to Spider-Man about something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

christmas boots posted:

I could see that with someone like Doc Ock where's he's just walking toward Spider-Man or something and then just casually has one of his tentacles knock some falling debris away from a civilian or something. Like not even something that he or the camera focus on or even acknowledges but it just happens while he's trying to rant to Spider-Man about something.

THere's a variant of it in the Sonic movies as well with Robotnik's (second movie discussion) relationship with Agent Stone. No matter how powerful or omnipotent Robotnik becomes, he'll always allow Stone to tag along and even tell him how he can help, going as far as giving him a manual for the giant death robot so that he knows how to pilot it. I just love when Stone yells "PLEASE! TAKE ME WITH YOU!" and he listens and does just that. He's a narcissist, but there is ONE other being in the universe he feels a genuine kind of affection for.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

THere's a variant of it in the Sonic movies as well with Robotnik's (second movie discussion) relationship with Agent Stone. No matter how powerful or omnipotent Robotnik becomes, he'll always allow Stone to tag along and even tell him how he can help, going as far as giving him a manual for the giant death robot so that he knows how to pilot it. I just love when Stone yells "PLEASE! TAKE ME WITH YOU!" and he listens and does just that. He's a narcissist, but there is ONE other being in the universe he feels a genuine kind of affection for.

Is "Agent Stone" some kind of reference? There are so many easter eggs and hints throughout, I kept thinking that "stone" must mean something in the Sonic video game canon but I can't think of what.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Stone = Heavy

It’s a low-key Knuckles Chaotix homage.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My main irritation with the new she hulk trailer is that hulk's arm is fine. The Russo bros had decided that the gauntlet lead to permanent damage, which is why Thanos is so hosed up after snapping twice.

In shang chi Bruce still had the sling on. Hulk should have at least some scarring.

Every plot Marvel has put out since Endgame has had the secondary goal of undoing everything the russo brothers did, and rightly so

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Very old news but lol at the final action set piece of The Core having to skip ahead sixteen hours and then skip another four to halfway make sense

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It reminds me of Halloween III in that it starts on October 23rd for no reason and skips days at a time anyway.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Finishing the finale of Stranger Things and nothing here is really a spoiler:

Look, if you're in a parametaphysical dream-ish memory-ish context where time is of the essence and perception matters and you know it, why the gently caress are you just casually strolling to the next context? You could even do the "running in a dream is super slow" trope!

At least the frame of reference jumps effectively gloss over what would otherwise be exhausting.

context: Eleven seeing the DJ table on the walkway over the skating in the aqueduct or whatever

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Jul 25, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Also can we get past "psychic stuff causes nosebleeds" and maybe get to "psychic stuff might burst a vessel in one of your eyes" for the visual representation? It'd be pretty badass to have some major psychic character shut their eyes in concentration, then open them with one eye gone bloody like they just did way too much cocaine or puked too hard or something.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I believe Thano's hand is so hosed up is because he destroyed the gauntlet, not so much because he used it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

youknowthatoneguy posted:

I believe Thano's hand is so hosed up is because he destroyed the gauntlet, not so much because he used it.

Its barely on screen, but the initial snap in infinity war clearly fucks up his hand and the gauntlet.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Its barely on screen, but the initial snap in infinity war clearly fucks up his hand and the gauntlet.

I know we ought not to expect consistency among the movies, much less between the movies and 616 continuity, but the Hulk does have amazing regenerative powers surpassing, e.g., Wolverine's, so if anyone could eventually recover from the damage of the gauntlet it'd be him.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

youknowthatoneguy posted:

No, it burns his arm the first time he snaps.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
Stranger Things 4 finale:

The amount of damage different weapons do on demogorgons is wildly inconsistent. You have soviet guards unloading into one with fully automatic weapons at like 10 feet and it's unfazed. Then you have Hopper put one down with one shot from a pistol. I'll grant that that one was tied down and cut open so maybe it's soft innards were vulnerable or something.

But then you also have one getting a flaming spear launched into its face/mouth and it hurts it but it's still able to spit it out and keep fighting. And then later you have Hopper picking up an old rusty decorative looking soviet sword and slicing through it like butter.

It looked cool but I just felt like that sword was too effective

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hopper is an avatar of an ancient war god and thus capable of superhuman feats.

Or something I stopped watching after season one because the story was over and had no place to go.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or something I stopped watching after season one because the story was over and had no place to go.

Heh, shows how much you know as it OBVIOUSLY goes to Russia

Andos El Pantos has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jul 25, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FFT posted:

Also can we get past "psychic stuff causes nosebleeds" and maybe get to "psychic stuff might burst a vessel in one of your eyes" for the visual representation? It'd be pretty badass to have some major psychic character shut their eyes in concentration, then open them with one eye gone bloody like they just did way too much cocaine or puked too hard or something.

The first time I saw it was in Firestarter and that was back in 1984. You'd think they'd have come up with a better idea in the last 40 years.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Andos El Pantos posted:

Stranger Things 4 finale:

And then later you have Hopper picking up an old rusty decorative looking soviet sword and slicing through it like butter.

That is clearly Conan's sword.

Closeup comparison:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That Italian Guy posted:

Closeup comparison:

That sword was broken!

Edit: oh dammit it was the other sword that broke.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Closeup comparison:

Lol hot drat I didn't catch that and I'm even a pretty big fan

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Psychic powers are different from movie to movie but so many of them cause the same iddy biddy widdle nose bweed. My cousin has a psychic attack whenever she moves to higher elevations too quickly. It annoys me that something magical that is portrayed differently has the same rather minor consequence of a little sinus leakage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Andos El Pantos posted:

You have soviet guards unloading into one with fully automatic weapons at like 10 feet and it's unfazed. Then you have Hopper put one down with one shot from a pistol.
*Reviews the relative effectiveness of Soviet mooks vs protagonists in 80s movies*

I'll allow it