Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Tomfoolery posted:

Have you peed on it too, to claim ownership?

Every time!

Even the inside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Every time!

Even the inside!

Pretty sure the thread consensus is that spritzing isn't necessary

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Hello fellow meat smokers!

I have a brisket flat that I am planning on smoking up this weekend, weighs a little less than 6lb. Using a MES + A-Maze-N pellet smoker.

Any "rough" estimates on how long this little guy will take? I was guesstimating 9 hours. Smoker at 250f until internal temp of 160, then butcher paper until 203f.

That sound sane? Unsure on water pan, probably wanted since the flat will dry out easy? Maybe crank the temp up some more to allow some bark to build?

Also, spam your favorite rubs for brisket. Was planning on keeping it simple (salt/pepper/garlic + light mustard binder) unless everyone says that is dumb.

Wroughtirony posted:

Ended up doing 225 with no crutch and it took 9 hours. The brisket was done sooner so we ate in two stages. Worked out well!

Was this a full packer, a flat or a point? How was the bark?

Moey fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 21, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think last time I cooked a flat that small it just powered through the stall and only took like 5-6 hours, no crutch needed. It had plenty of rest time in the cooler that day.

No crutch, a bit more bark comes easier.

Giving yourself 9 is fine.

No water pan. It's there mostly as a heatsink vs providing moisture.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Moey posted:

Hello fellow meat smokers!

I have a brisket flat that I am planning on smoking up this weekend, weighs a little less than 6lb. Using a MES + A-Maze-N pellet smoker.

Any "rough" estimates on how long this little guy will take? I was guesstimating 9 hours. Smoker at 250f until internal temp of 160, then butcher paper until 203f.

That sound sane? Unsure on water pan, probably wanted since the flat will dry out easy? Maybe crank the temp up some more to allow some bark to build?

Also, spam your favorite rubs for brisket. Was planning on keeping it simple (salt/pepper/garlic + light mustard binder) unless everyone says that is dumb.

Something on the small side like that, you may want to consider injecting to prevent it from drying out.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Moey posted:

I actually did the brisket in the oven. 10 pounds, I'm assuming I had what you are referring to as a full packer, and it took 5 hours at 300.

I did two 9 pound chunks of pork butt in the smoker and learned many things about surface area and stalls...

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I think I'm doing brisket this weekend. So far I've only ever done whole packers and the method I've settled on is salt+pepper, 235, water pan, wrap with pink butcher paper at the stall. The twist is that my wife invited people over on Saturday at noon and wants to put together some kind of nacho bar thing.

I think I'm going to separate the point and flat and just smoke the point the normal way, starting around midnight. For the flat it sounds line the way to go is to inject it so I'm thinking beef stock, 2% salt, and maybe some shallot juice if nobody here claims it'll turn the flat to mush. For the rub I might do salt, pepper, a relativly small amount of cumin and paprika, and the following powders: onion, garlic, ancho, and oregano.

At this point I'm wondering if midnight is early enough for lunch with the cuts separated, and whether any of those ingredients is going to worsen the flavor if I put them on before smoking.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I would err on the side of caution and put it in at 9 or 10 and if it's done early, hold it in a cooler wrapped in foil wrapped in a towel.

Every time I think i can get away with a short/close time cook, it's invariably late.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I would err on the side of caution and put it in at 9 or 10 and if it's done early, hold it in a cooler wrapped in foil wrapped in a towel.

Every time I think i can get away with a short/close time cook, it's invariably late.

This is the actual answer.

The smoking gods strike down those with the hubris to assume cook times.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Last time I cooked a brisket was my first. I separated the point and flat and put them both on at 8 pm the day before serving, and both finished up at about 5 am the next day. For what it’s worth, I smoke on a pit barrel cooker which tends to hold at 275*F or so. I injected some better than bullion into both bits and they were excellent and juicy, even after 6+ hours resting in a cooler.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What’s the operating theory behind injecting with broth? It seems like the only thing you are really doing is salting the interior? Doesn’t the water have to evaporate (I.e. why there is a stall) before the internal temp can rise enough to render the fat and gelatin (I.e. what gives meat it’s juicy flavor)?

Slowing down the transition through the stall seems counterproductive.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

You're right, it also slows the cook down (by staying in the stall) so the collagen has more time to breakdown and the meat is more tender.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What is "the stall"

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HootTheOwl posted:

What is "the stall"

Basically this is what the temp inside a brisket looks like if you just leave it on the smoker. There's some debate as to the exact mechanism behind why it happens.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Basically this is what the temp inside a brisket looks like if you just leave it on the smoker. There's some debate as to the exact mechanism behind why it happens.

Nah, the mechanism is pretty well understood.
It's evaporative cooling.

You can smoke a soaking wet sponge and it'll stall out at 140 til it's dry enough.

Both my and your linked image is from the work done by Prof. Greg Blonder of Boston University.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

toplitzin posted:

Nah, the mechanism is pretty well understood.
It's evaporative cooling.

You can smoke a soaking wet sponge and it'll stall out at 140 til it's dry enough.

Both my and your linked image is from the work done by Prof. Greg Blonder of Boston University.

drat it, I thought that's what it was and hedged.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone have any experience cooking beef tongue? Tips, tricks, recipes, anything.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I make it into tongue pastrami.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok thread! Today is the big day! The first real smoke!

I started with a 13 pound brisket and cut it into thirds,
then I opened the smoker, filled the water dish, the pellet maze, and lit the pellet maze for 45 seconds until the ends got black and smoldered a bit. It was too bright out to see if they enflamed, but I came back a few minutes later and the aparatus smelled like smoke so I hope it took.
Turned on the smoker at 275 for 6 hours
Finally I rubbed one of the cuts and put it in the smoker, sealed it up, and ran here to post. Wish me luck!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

then I opened the smoker, filled the water dish, the pellet maze, and lit the pellet maze for 45 seconds until the ends got black and smoldered a bit. It was too bright out to see if they enflamed, but I came back a few minutes later and the aparatus smelled like smoke so I hope it took.
Finally I rubbed one of the cuts and put it in the smoker, sealed it up, and ran here to post. Wish me luck!

I hope you kept the point intact and separated the flat in two?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HootTheOwl posted:

Best of luck!

I've struggled with pellet tubes in the past - not getting full ignition early on. I really need to upgrade to a propane torch. I think the ideal is to have the lit pellets burn for about 3-5 minutes or so in order to get the coals going well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zarin posted:

Best of luck!

I've struggled with pellet tubes in the past - not getting full ignition early on. I really need to upgrade to a propane torch. I think the ideal is to have the lit pellets burn for about 3-5 minutes or so in order to get the coals going well.

You need to use a propane torch and let it flame for like 5 minutes before blowing it out.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kaddish posted:

You need to use a propane torch and let it flame for like 5 minutes before blowing it out.

Ah, yeah, i've been using a small butane torch and it just doesn't seem like it's been enough.

I tried to use a tea light (candle) this last time but that didn't seem like it was going to work. Propane torches aren't expensive; I'll just pick one up the next time I'm at the hardware store.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's been about an hour and it didn't seem like the maze smoked or burned at all. So I just added some chips.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 25, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just took it out to let it rest on the counter for an hour.
It's very pretty looking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everything came out perfect except it was really tough. I suspect it's because I didn't give it enough time at temperature. The areas near the edge came out perfect.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Everything came out perfect except it was really tough. I suspect it's because I didn't give it enough time at temperature. The areas near the edge came out perfect.

Without seeing and feeling it, I'd probably agree. It sounds like the issue I initially had with beef cuts starting out when I wrongfully thought I was overcooking them, when in reality I just had to give it another hour or two and then I achieved that buttery penetration we all dream about.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Looks good though!

Was that your first smoke ever?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looks good though!

Was that your first smoke ever?

First real smoke. I had tried a bunch of cheaty methods of steaming with smoke like items.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Pit-Boys-Smoker-Bags-Set-of-2-mesquite-Smoking-Bags-for-Indoor-or-Outdoor-/133512495980
Like this and having my apartment smell of smoke for a day or so.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

First real smoke. I had tried a bunch of cheaty methods of steaming with smoke like items.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Pit-Boys-Smoker-Bags-Set-of-2-mesquite-Smoking-Bags-for-Indoor-or-Outdoor-/133512495980
Like this and having my apartment smell of smoke for a day or so.

Try a pork butt next. A lot less work/money and will help you hone in your skills.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Try a pork butt next. A lot less work/money and will help you hone in your skills.

I have the two remaining pieces of the brisket, about the same size of this one I might try something different, but I need the space in the freezer first.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sounds like brisket’s back on the menu boys!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What internal temp did you cook the brisket to? Undercooking brisket (internal temp of like 190 for example) will give you shoe leather like brisket. I always aim for 205 and a good jiggle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't have a probe, I'm in the middle of a move and didn't unpack it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I guess in a pinch you could just go by feel. But you said you’re pretty new to smoking so you might now know exactly what you’re looking for.

A long skewer or something like that can work. Maybe ever a small screwdriver???? When you push it through the meat there should be literally zero resistance. Like when they say it’s “like butter”, that’s what you should be going for.

And don’t just test it in one place, pick a few spots to poke.

The smoke time will probably be a bit longer than your last one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

If you’re new to smoking, definitely try to find it before your next cook. Usually there’s a pretty big difference between 200*F and 205*F in the finished product and you really need a probe to tell if you don’t know how to check by feel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought opening the smoker during the cook would be a big-huge no-no?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

HootTheOwl posted:

Depends on who you ask. Traditional Carolina style pork will use a mop sauce, a vinegar based sauce that you literally mop onto your pork shoulder occasionally while it smokes. Obviously, this requires opening the smoker. Does it result in a better product? I have no idea - I've never tried a side by side comparison where one shoulder was mopped, and the other had the lid left closed with otherwise identical or near identical environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

It’s cooking for 12 or 18 hours. 2 minutes at a time without the lid is fine.