Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

oh dope posted:

Vince doesn't have "hobbies", he doesn't "relax", wtf does a Vince McMahon retirement even look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Vince is looking forward to stretching out on a nice warm rock and molting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

lol

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oh dope posted:

Vince doesn't have "hobbies", he doesn't "relax", wtf does a Vince McMahon retirement even look like

Probably converts his pool house to some bigshot office type scenario with a big rear end polished heavy rear end oak desk and the built-in library shelves are stocked with wrestling figurines and paraphernalia and he just swivels and spins in this throne-like leather swivel chair and grabs dolls to play with on his desk, simulating various wrestling matches on his desk, a reserved splotch in the middle is scratched and marred to the point you can see the whitish, rough, unstained oak from the intensity of the matches, cigar has gone out in the ashtray as the hours have slid by.

If I’m that far off I will write that all on a piece of paper and eat it with ketchup. :smuggo:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So when is Kevin Dunn being poo poo canned?

He's in charge of the shaky cam and fast cuts, right? Because gently caress that, it's the main reason why I don't try to watch anymore.

That and there's about one match every 40 minutes these days.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

oh dope posted:

I'll tell you more about Vince McMahons new podcast right after this message from Stamps.com

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Watch for an upcoming Wall Street Journal story to "explain" his retirement decision. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 23, 2022

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Classic heel tweet from Tony Kahn

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1550578379543437314?s=20&t=afQB3uN5jh-WS8xm9CuMeg

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FogHelmut posted:

He's in charge of the shaky cam and fast cuts, right? Because gently caress that, it's the main reason why I don't try to watch anymore.

That and there's about one match every 40 minutes these days.

And they said soap operas could never be on primetime tv. :jerkbag:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dacap posted:

Ideally prison time

I hope it's this but he's rich so

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No lie watching VINCE strut into an AEW ring to beat up his fake, Wince McGirlyman, would be pretty Elite.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Unrelated to Vince retiring to dedicate himself full-time to luring small animals in front of cars, but I just learned Paul Bearer was an actual mortician.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Since this thread has some life again and I’m in the mood to write something, I figured I’d do another history lesson on a WWE guy who very briefly reached the heights of superstardom before flailing. Those are some of the better stories out there, whether it’s Ahmed Johnson, Vader, Braun Strowman, Ken Shamrock, Ryback, and so on.

This time, I’m going to talk about Alberto Del Rio. Once he seemed like a no-fail main eventer. Now he’s someone that no promotion will touch.

Before signing with WWE, Alberto wrestled as a masked luchador named Dos Caras Jr. I know very little about that time, but what’s interesting is that Vince McMahon saw how expressive he looked without his mask and insisted he wrestle both maskless and as a heel. As it turned out, Vince was 100% right. Dude just had perfect heel charisma.

Del Rio first appeared midway into 2010 through a bunch of vignettes that showed him off as an egotistical rich guy. Lots of smirking and winking to the camera. He had star written all over him and they went in on it immediately by having him tap out Rey Mysterio in his first televised match. While he was at home in the midcard for the next several months, he was very strongly protected. Even when he lost during a Survivor Series tag match, they had him get knocked out from a Big Show suckerpunch instead of being pinned.

Funny story during this is how a guy on WWE.com had to write a profile for him and put in a note for the editor to read. The editor accidentally missed this note and published the article with the line, “Are you okay with this for Del Rio’s bio? I ask because I know he’s supposed to be a big deal, fairly quick.”

Del Rio had some pretty sweet bells and whistles too. He had his own personal announcer/sidekick Ricardo Rodriguez and would regularly drive into the arena in fancy, expensive cars. With that, his charisma, and in-ring skills, the sky was the limit for him.

As that WWE.com guy suggested, the company had big plans for him. Del Rio was to win the 2011 Royal Rumble, earning him a title match at WrestleMania 27. This was a special Royal Rumble as they went with a roster of 40 instead of 30. On paper, that would make Del Rio’s win more impressive.

Unfortunately, his Rumble win was flat. Usually, when a heel is booked to win the Rumble, there’s an air of cheating in there, but there’s also a feeling that the win is earned. Guys like Ric Flair, Steve Austin, and Randy Orton won the Rumble through questionable means, but only after spending about an hour in there. Yokozuna won after being absolutely dominant. Del Rio did a big pile of nothing other than sneaking an elimination over Randy Orton and then almost losing to comedy jobber Santino Marella.

Still, this should have been Del Rio’s ticket to the top. With both Rodriguez and failed NXT Rookie Brodus Clay at his side, Del Rio was challenging Edge for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania. Leading into the show, Del Rio lost to Edge’s BFF Christian twice. Cleanly. Notably, during one match, Edge had Speared into Brodus Clay and due to the guy’s massive midsection, he basically dove headfirst into Brodus' gut. It did not look right and definitely did some physical damage to Edge.

Royal Rumble winner Del Rio then took on Edge at WrestleMania...in the opening match. Where Del Rio lost. Then Edge destroyed Del Rio’s car for laughs. Then shortly after, Edge announced that he was retiring as his neck was hosed. Then they did Del Rio vs. Christian for the vacant title. Christian won, then immediately lost it to Randy Orton, leaving Del Rio in the dust.

Christ.

So the Rumble thing didn’t pan out. At least there was another go-to multi-man match for pushing a wrestler into the main event. At Money in the Bank 2011, Del Rio won the Money in the Bank ladder match for an automatic shot at the WWE Championship. This was the same night as the famous angle where CM Punk won the title while his contract ended, but even though Del Rio made a go at him, he was knocked out with a kick to the temple before the briefcase could be cashed in.

Punk’s storyline led to a title match against Cena at SummerSlam and although Punk won, he was inexplicably attacked by Kevin Nash afterwards, allowing Del Rio to run out, cash in the briefcase, and win the title. This led to a brief feud with Cena, which was rough. Cena proceeded to bury Del Rio on the microphone by pointing out that Del Rio’s cars were just rentals and that he actually wasn’t a super rich aristocrat, which...why would you even do that? Then Cena won the title, only for Del Rio to win it back in a triple threat Hell in a Cell match against Cena and Punk.

Del Rio would drop the title to Punk at Survivor Series 2011 and lose the series of rematches until being put on the shelf with an injury.

When he came back, Del Rio feuded with Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship and oh my God did it never end. It just kept going on and on and on. The only thing I really remember about it is that Sheamus at one point stole Del Rio’s car, drove around, ate Mexican food, and presumably poo poo in the car before returning it.

At the end of 2012, Del Rio turned face. They timed this very badly as the next show was a Christmas special where Del Rio accidentally ran over Santa Claus, causing Del Rio to have a Miracle on 34th Street Fight with John Cena as the main event. Afterwards, Del Rio went back to his face turn by having him constantly rescue Rodriguez from bullying heels, especially the Big Show. Del Rio and Big Show had a pretty solid feud where Del Rio won the World Heavyweight Championship off Big Show via a Last Man Standing match.

WWE suddenly got behind eternal midcarder Jack Swagger and built up a WrestleMania title match of “Mexican face wrestler” vs. “anti-immigrant far-right rear end in a top hat white guy.” Swagger was apparently supposed to win the title, but then he got caught driving while high, so that didn’t work out. There was also a thing where he and his manager Zeb Colter tried to spin an angle with Glenn Beck that the latter didn’t want to touch with a ten-foot pole.

As Del Rio retained the title at WrestleMania 29, fans were really hoping that recent Money in the Bank winner Dolph Ziggler would run out and cash in. Ziggler was a heel, but he was hugely popular at the time. Instead, WWE waited for the Raw after WrestleMania. Ziggler cashed in and the place lost its poo poo. Sorry, Del Rio.

In the aftermath, Ziggler received a concussion in a match against Jack Swagger. This led to an amazing match at Payback where Del Rio started targeting Ziggler’s head and the crowd gradually started getting really pissed about it. Del Rio and Ziggler did the rare “double turn” as Del Rio became gleeful in the way he’d aggravate Ziggler’s brain injuries. Then he won the title back.

Del Rio’s title reign went on for a while, but wasn’t all that eventful, outside of him turning on Rodriguez. Rodriguez then became the personal ring announcer for Rob Van Dam, who feuded with Del Rio and failed to usurp him.

As WWE was interested in combining the two main titles, Del Rio’s reign came to a rather abrupt end when he was thrown into a match against John Cena. After that, Del Rio was put in a one-sided feud against the returning Batista. Batista was being pushed as the top face going into WrestleMania 30, but fans loving hated that idea (see: the whole Daniel Bryan fiasco) and cheered Del Rio throughout the feud.

Del Rio didn’t really have much going on for the next few months. He was treated as a body to throw into a multi-man match when you needed someone to be a big name, but lose.

Then he heard a WWE employee make a racist joke and beat the poo poo out of him. Del Rio was fired for this, because of course he was.

After that, he became a highly-paid free agent, showing up in various promotions like AAA, Ring of Honor, and midway into the first season of Lucha Underground. As the heat from the firing situation died down, he was eventually brought back into WWE.

For months, John Cena was the United States Champion and would do weekly open challenges. He would always win, but it was a great time to be watching, as you’d get random opponents who got to look good against the champ, all things considered. People were wondering who would finally dethrone Cena and it ended up being a returning Del Rio.

At Hell in a Cell 2015, Del Rio showed up to answer the challenge and beat Cena clean after just a few minutes. Well, clean for somebody who was supposed to be tired from constantly defending the belt. This should have been huge for Del Rio, but WWE immediately screwed things up. He was accompanied by Zeb Colter with the idea being that together they had created a new hybrid nation called MexAmerica. The US Championship was now the MexAmerica Championship. What did this actually mean? I don’t know. I don’t think anyone really knew. It just happened until they moved on.

Del Rio eventually dropped Colter and then traded the belt back and forth with Kalisto.

Del Rio joined the League of Nations, a team that looked awesome on paper. It was him, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, and Rusev. They were mainly a foreign-based Roman Reigns revenge squad, but they were also a bunch of losers who got their asses kicked all the time. They did beat the New Day at WrestleMania 32, but that was just so the likes of Steve Austin, Mick Foley, and Shawn Michaels could run out and beat up the League.

The League disbanded shortly after and Del Rio fell deeper into obscurity. After being caught with a wellness violation, he asked for his release and it was granted.

Since then, every piece of news about Del Rio puts him in a bad light, from sexual assault charges to domestic abuse. At this point, nobody really wants to be associated with him in the wrestling world and last I’ve seen, he does Spanish commentary for UFC.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1551556511578542082

It really was all about how you play it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'd be interested to see how this goes. Anyone who knows this way better than I do: is this a positive outcome, negative, in the middle? We don't know?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
you would be hard pressed to find someone worse than Vince to run creative so I presume the matches will get better

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Watch for an upcoming Wall Street Journal story to "explain" his retirement decision. :D

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wwe-expects-higher-revenue-for-quarter-11658757001

Welp. WWE restating earnings going back to 2019 isn't really good for your career, Vince.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
From what I'm reading, it sounds like they know more payouts, or the discovery of more, are coming soon. Interesting to see if Linda sticks around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
HHH got extremely lucky this came out and sideswiped McMahon/Khan's designs.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He did it. He actually took over. I thought Vince might outlast him.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
HHH is just head of creative, he doesn't run the company. And Vince is still majority shareholder for the time being

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you would be hard pressed to find someone worse than Vince to run creative so I presume the matches will get better

The damage may already be done on that front. HHH was the guy pushing for indie stars and was very much the brains behind a lot of the hirings during NXT's biggest era, but a lot of that talent was misused on the main roster and/or belittled by Vince and therefore has left or been fired. The one thing you can say about Triple H is that, when he personally isn't involved with the storyline, he generally knows what the crowd wants and understands that you shouldn't swerve a crowd because you don't like people posting about it on the internet. Also he hates Kevin Dunn, so maybe the camerawork will also improve.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bonzo posted:

From what I'm reading, it sounds like they know more payouts, or the discovery of more, are coming soon. Interesting to see if Linda sticks around.

iirc Vince and Linda don't actively reside in the same state and haven't for a long time

it's all just rich people poo poo where you're married for the benefit of your investment portfolio or whatever the gently caress

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there’s a lot of pages in this thread, did the old walking steroid syringe finally croak?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ulvir posted:

there’s a lot of pages in this thread, did the old walking steroid syringe finally croak?

Nah, but due to the Wall Street Journal exposing some harsh legal stuff about him, he's finally retired. So almost!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

iirc Vince and Linda don't actively reside in the same state and haven't for a long time

it's all just rich people poo poo where you're married for the benefit of your investment portfolio or whatever the gently caress

Oh yeah I figured that. You don't just rape women for decades without someone noticing. I just figured she'd finally divorce him and get a settlement then go down with him.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Oh yeah I figured that. You don't just rape women for decades without someone noticing. I just figured she'd finally divorce him and get a settlement then go down with him.

One of her insta profiles was apparently changed to "looking for a real man, not a genetic jackhammer" or somesuch a month or 2 ago.

This might have been posted in this thread, actually.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DDayFilms/status/1551654966024183810?t=1Cm2mb8SHWD27uOSHvKv9g&s=19

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Also Vince officially filled an 8-K which is a resignation and not a retirement. If he had stayed he would have been turbo hosed for misusing company funds

gently caress him so hard. I know he probably won't ever spend a single day in prison but I hope something comes out about him that puts him there for the rest of his miserable life

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Cerebral Assassin strikes again.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Beeswax posted:

And Vince is still majority shareholder for the time being

This is the part that interests me. VInce still owns the company, is (assuredly) friendly with the members of the Board, and his daughter is the CEO and Chairwoman. I think there's a decent chance that Vince will still wield de facto control of the company.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Vince, Linda, Scumbag WWE lawyer guy, your limo is right this way.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This is the part that interests me. VInce still owns the company, is (assuredly) friendly with the members of the Board, and his daughter is the CEO and Chairwoman. I think there's a decent chance that Vince will still wield de facto control of the company.

he fired her husband and she rehired him so idk?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Disney CEO tenure of Mike Eisner was finished because his biggest Board backer lost a ton during the Dot Com collapse and had to sell stock. Same could happen with Vinny.

Or poo poo, just have Steph/whoever oust him now that he's weak. Yay intrigue!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

loving this new season of Succesion

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jsoh posted:

he fired her husband and she rehired him so idk?

I don't think HHH was ever fired. He had a heart attack (don't do steroids kids) and Vince took over NXT and ran it straight into the ground

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't think HHH was ever fired. He had a heart attack (don't do steroids kids) and Vince took over NXT and ran it straight into the ground

He was demoted as publicly and in as humiliating a way as Vince could do without having HHH physically there to berate live on TV, just like how Stephanie took a leave of absence and then stories just started magically popping up out of nowhere that :actually: she sucked at her job

They have zero reason to be loyal to Vince after all that, and he's never going to be running the company ever again, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they're just waiting to get past SummerSlam to start making some changes that are a bit more significant

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I can't get over the theory I read (probably ITT) that Vince saw HHH's heart attack as a sign of Weakness and mobilised as quickly as possible to cut him out as punishment for it.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Matinee posted:

I can't get over the theory I read (probably ITT) that Vince saw HHH's heart attack as a sign of Weakness and mobilised as quickly as possible to cut him out as punishment for it.

In all honesty HHH was already on the chopping block because NXT 1.0 didn't crush and humiliate AEW when they were running head to head. That's the Weakness that disgusted Vince; the heart attack was simply confirming what he knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the real big brain option is that them getting sidelined and then coming back is all a work