Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Shilling for Tamurkhan but I just don't know what is going to be that different between Festus and Ku'gath. Heck what's different between Azazel and N'kari besides size?

Chorfs! My kingdom for hats!

Edit: Well that's what I get for posting before refreshing the new post.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sexpig by night posted:

yea from fairly casually farting around with chaos stuff as I wait for IE next month that's been my biggest feeling. Khorne is fine (duh), Nurgle is boring but fine with its 'all anvil no hammer' builds and all, but boy do the other two gods REALLY show how painful a lack of reliable tarpit front line guys can be. Like, horrors with barriers help a lot but I can't wait for them to just have proper frontliners.

Like I said earlier, I'd love for Daemons to get the logical opposite treatment as Warriors get for immortal empires - namely that they can take a limited amount of WoC units to bolster themselves, but limited to like 3-4 cards. Let slaneesh and tzeench take a couple units of chaos warriors (or even marauder champions, since they pull regular marauders) to give them a proper anvil, let nurgle take some chaos knights for a proper hammer unit. Give khorne access to maybe like, marauder hunters / horse riders to give them a bit of skirmish presence.

Edit - I broke down and finally bought warhams 3 last night. Figured even though it's bad I'll play through the base campaign once or twice before immortal empires hit. Trying to decide if I want to do my first campaign as ogres or Slaanesh

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 25, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Goons I have a shameful admission to make: I only just now realized that cultists of Slaanesh can give out marks of Slaanesh. I am dumb. :smith:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

DeathSandwich posted:

Trying to decide if I want to do my first campaign as ogres or Slaanesh

Did they fix Slaanesh replenishment? Last time I tried that faction it was unplayably bad unless you had perfect micro.

1-2% replenishment each turn with no way to really improve it is not ok.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Aurubin posted:

Shilling for Tamurkhan but I just don't know what is going to be that different between Festus and Ku'gath. Heck what's different between Azazel and N'kari besides size?

Chorfs! My kingdom for hats!

Edit: Well that's what I get for posting before refreshing the new post.

This is an issue more broadly with Chaos characters (especially daemons), they're often so one-dimensional and indistinguishable. They're written as these big scary threats, but with no characterization. At least Valkia stands out from the pack of other Khorne champions

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did they fix Slaanesh replenishment? Last time I tried that faction it was unplayably bad unless you had perfect micro.

1-2% replenishment each turn with no way to really improve it is not ok.

Its still pretty bad tbh

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i had zero problems with it, but I think replenishment is WAY too overtuned, i wasn't kidding about giving it a cost to use.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i had zero problems with it, but I think replenishment is WAY too overtuned, i wasn't kidding about giving it a cost to use.

Wouldn't that make ranged even more powerful? Ammo's free and replenishes 100%

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Slaanesh replenishment is BETTER, but unless your micro is flawless you can expect to spend several turns after absolutely every single battle replenishing and/or wishing you could do so.

I installed Gejnor's mod that adds replenishment to one of the pleasurable acts and, although it helps immensely, even that isn't enough. You take so many losses in every battle that you end up spending at least two or more replenishing. It's kind of silly. Fortunately you can just fling disciple armies at your problems all day long without issue.

Meanwhile I have so many cultists that I can't possibly spend them all. Disciple armies all over the place, and I still can't spend cultists fast enough. I have dominated Zhao Ming, Miao Ying and Katarin are close, Karl and Toddy are coming around... eventually this whole drat map is going to be my vassals. Slaanesh is a lot more fun than I originally anticipated. I kinda want to play Azazel now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

gently caress. Quote is not edit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Gort posted:

Wouldn't that make ranged even more powerful? Ammo's free and replenishes 100%

Ammo having to replenish is one of my most wanted campaign changes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ranged is always going to be powerful because the ai is very dumb

e: what i probably hate most about replenishment is it makes you micro around based on not getting the last twelve idiots in a unit killed. if they do then you have to pay more and stand still for x turns to get a not experienced unit back. just either give them back for free like in 3k or make all replenishment work that way, thank you

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 25, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Grumio posted:

This is an issue more broadly with Chaos characters (especially daemons), they're often so one-dimensional and indistinguishable. They're written as these big scary threats, but with no characterization. At least Valkia stands out from the pack of other Khorne champions

Honestly it’s not even a problem with Chaos necessarily. It’s mostly Nurgle. Most Chaos Gods have no real problem having variety in characterization for their champions. Sigvald and Azazel have a very different voice despite both being Slaanesh. Skarbrand Skulltaker and Valkia all have distinctly different shticks. Vilitch, Kairos, and the Scribes likewise.

Nurgle has a real problem where literally all of his champions are basically the same character which is to say: Nurgle but smol.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Ammo having to replenish is one of my most wanted campaign changes.

That sounds really boring to be honest. The game has enough stuff slowing campaigns down as it is, we don’t need more reasons to sit around twiddling thumbs for ammo of all things. The campaign layer is at its best when its thin IMO.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the campaign basically has nothing to slow you down once you start rolling around turn fifteen, it's just going to feel slower due to scaling making each new territory feel less and less significant

e: also the turns just taking longer to do

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My issue with low replenishment is it penalizes you for close fights with powerful opponents, aka why I play these games. Rolling over a bunch of easy fights is boring as hell.

I'd much rather replenishment be massive and the ai gets lots of well balanced stacks than what currently happens.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dandywalken posted:

Its still pretty bad tbh

Ogres it is then!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, having dogshit replenishment like Slaanesh right now means you actively avoid the interesting fights if at all possible, because -- while you might win -- you're going to have to spend multiple turns merging, recruiting, and replenishing. It's basically a fun tax.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
like i said i have had absolutely no problems with slaanesh replenishment. there has never been a point where I shied away from a battle because I was ever worried about replenishment, either.

hell you can get upkeep free armies to send out to die consequence free, at basically zero cost once you get your disciple income up. if you get antsy about waiting two or three turns you can just hit that button instead.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
When I played Slaanesh (before the patch that slightly boosted replenishment) I used the mod that gives you 1% replenishment for each 10 Slaanesh corruption in the area and had zero issues with replenishment. Generally got 9 - 10% bonus in defensive battles and 4 - 7% when invading.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You are slaanesh. You are excellence. You are about YOUR excellence.

Marauders die. Marauders merge. Marauders replace. They are not excellence.

You should never have replenishment problems because only the lord needs to replenish their health. Everyone else needs to be replaced.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

If you aren't having trouble with replenishment as Slaanesh or Tzeentch you aren't being challenged during battles, at which point why bother playing?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Game fun.

I mean why do people run their 10th Ikit or Empire or Dwarf "artillery/gun go boom" campaign.

Also chiming in that I found Slaanesh replenishment fine, aggressively recruited to replace my marauders who were just there to die and hold while the flankers did work. Also wondering if people reporting bad replenishment are using the channel magic stance to refill winds reserves or ducking into cities for the replenishment boost? I have bad replen on Nurgle using encamp but the rest is fine.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So many people hate the idea of merge and replace that we are creating hegemony among the races where everyone is getting a hero with +replenishment

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Third World Reagan posted:

So many people hate the idea of merge and replace that we are creating hegemony among the races where everyone is getting a hero with +replenishment
That's what some people prefer because that's what they find fun (not merging to replace units in their armies) and I think that's fine? It's a single player campaign so what's the big deal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

merge + replace vs replenishment basically just amounts to a fighting tax, and is not greatly dissimilar from just having less income in the first place except that it involves more clicking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: reply is not edit

edit: I ask because its a game that, at its core, is about fighting big battles. I'm the kind of person that I was super OCD about picking fights and reloading to re-fight battles back in like Medieval 2 or Rome 1 because I hated taking a bunch of losses to my favorite-to-use units because I forgot about them in a melee for a few seconds or had some bad luck or something, so I love the fact that replenishment is a thing now because when playing the game, I derive my enjoyment from building an army, usually with some sort of plan or gimmick in mind, then using it. If I fight a big battle and have some fun but take a bunch of losses, my reward for executing the goal of the game (fighting big battles) is to sit on my rear end for 2+ turns either recruiting poo poo-tier replacements that are available locally, global recruiting, or replenishing. So yeah, I can merge but it might screw with my army balance by needing to recruit lower tier units with fewer chevrons or pay out the loving rear end for global replenishment where I inexplicably get no chevron boosts from certain sources because.... reasons?

If CA did a better job rewarding me for merging or recruiting locally I might have less of a hardon for replenishment, but as it is it feels like Tzeentch and Slaanesh just... dont get the replenishment option and dont get better local or global recruitment to compensate, or a mechanic to help the player feel better about not having a lot of replenishment.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, sure, and I get that appeal. I've found though that some of the most enjoyable battles I've had are like the one I posted last page - hopelessly outnumbered and having to make the best of what I've got. That was what I liked about my Slaanesh campaign, was just throwing what I had into combat and making the best show I can. Open your mind, friend.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I guess also in Slaanesh defense, you also have access to seduced units to be an ablative screen for your real troops too.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

You are slaanesh. You are excellence. You are about YOUR excellence.

Marauders die. Marauders merge. Marauders replace. They are not excellence.

You should never have replenishment problems because only the lord needs to replenish their health. Everyone else needs to be replaced.

Pretty much this.

The daemon armies having glaring weaknesses meaning you have to actually play them differently is good, homorginising everything is boring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'd like to note that I think differences between factions is good and I like that CA adds so much variety but I think there is a difference between mechanical differences between how factions play and how the game is designed to work.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, sure, and I get that appeal. I've found though that some of the most enjoyable battles I've had are like the one I posted last page - hopelessly outnumbered and having to make the best of what I've got. That was what I liked about my Slaanesh campaign, was just throwing what I had into combat and making the best show I can. Open your mind, friend.
Oh absolutely, but thats not exactly what I'm getting at. I also have enjoyed battles where I have a hodge podge of troops I just confederated or recruited what was available and some RoRs to get my numbers up to try to save a settlement on the other side of my empire or something. I enjoy that kind of stuff a lot. But I think the hangup for a lot of people is "when I have the option to recruit the army I want to use (because this is a game and not a military simulation), I want to be able to keep that army set up how I want it". Especially because usually you have to grind through 50+ turns of slow growth and battles with tier 1 infantry that you havent had time to replace because the early game is the crunch time when you're trying to get yourself established before you can use the Cool Units (tm). I wouldnt enjoy it if I spent like 6 turns recruiting my preferred Ikit Claw army, I hop over underway under the mountains over to fight the Fay Enchantress only to immediately take some losses and be stuck re-recruiting half my units because I took losses and merged or lost units for another 5+ turns (because global is slow, painful, and expensive). Like yeah, sometimes that'll happen and you gotta deal with it, but I can enjoy going out and getting Good Fights (tm) with my Good Units if I can take a few losses that I wont sweat because they'll replenish up in 2-3 turns.

Alctel posted:

The daemon armies having glaring weaknesses meaning you have to actually play them differently is good, homorginising everything is boring.
I dont think anyone wants anything homogenized, I think people just want viable options for dealing with taking losses and people are thrown off by Tzeentch and Slaanesh simply having bad replenishment and no other mechanism for making up for that drawback. Difference is good but players are used to having replenishment as the answer for taking losses through like 6 years of the two predecessor games, so suddenly not having it is Bad and Not Good (not that I agree so strongly).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 25, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That's what some people prefer because that's what they find fun (not merging to replace units in their armies) and I think that's fine? It's a single player campaign so what's the big deal?

Single player campaigns should have room for all types of players.

Not just one type that find it fun and fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Single player campaigns should have room for all types of players.

Not just one type that find it fun and fine.
What?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Usually if I have a half dead unit I just don't field it in the battle, possibly to the point of withdrawing it off the field first thing. Yes you can make use of them but it runs into the problem I have with armies that have more than 20 units, or armies that have too many types of units, which is that I can only really manage like... I dunno... maybe six different "units" in the sense of "discrete things I have to give orders to on the field" before I find it aggravating. And a unit at low strength cannot be thrown into a blob with a bunch of similar units without risking it getting wiped out. And I am reluctant to merge stuff because then I have to spend turns sitting still and recruiting which is not interesting and also eats into the precious little time I might have to actually do something on the campaign map before I have to put out another fire somewhere. And if you're in enemy territory that's even worse because it can completely stall your attack.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

i wish there was a system that let you preserve units by "dismissing" them to a global unit pool where they would replenish over a number of turns and could be re-recruited later on.

rank 9 greatswords just took a beating, will take multiple turns to replenish, and i have no tier 3 barracks nearby. but instead of sitting around doing nothing they get rotated out and replaced with whatever you have banked in your reserves. instantly too, kind of like the vampires raise dead

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

homogenising factions can eliminate certain styles of play or challenges that some players might find interesting

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
OK so I did my Slaanesh play throughs awhile ago so I didn't remember offhand how "bad" the replenishment really was so I fired up N'kari, auto-resolved on the starter enemy to really get casualties, ran back to my city and took some delicious data and:

my brothers in excess slaanesh has better, cheaper, faster and more useful access to replenishment than a majority of factions. Replenishment values are shown without the mirror yet, so they'd recover even faster if I put it up on the first turn of the game, which I should because nice growth bonuses! Marauder Spearmen(32 MD) are right there on T1 too, and Marauder Whipmen(42 MD at T2 vs say Black Guard with 48 MD at T4) are a simple T2 building investment away.

I don't see the issues unless you're literally unwilling to stop for even a turn inside a city, even after a hard-fought battle to take a city(i.e. their 20 stack + garrison.) I know people didn't like doing it to cleanse chaos realm traits but we're getting down to Total War gameplay fundamentals. And you're on a melee only faction(a glass cannon high micro one at that), so you don't even get the ranged turtle option for no damage taken.

Seconding using seduce to reduce damage you take. The enemy loses offensive output from the actual units, then you can suicide them in to ruin the enemy alpha strikes all over the front.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 25, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

99pct of germs posted:

i wish there was a system that let you preserve units by "dismissing" them to a global unit pool where they would replenish over a number of turns and could be re-recruited later on.

rank 9 greatswords just took a beating, will take multiple turns to replenish, and i have no tier 3 barracks nearby. but instead of sitting around doing nothing they get rotated out and replaced with whatever you have banked in your reserves. instantly too, kind of like the vampires raise dead

I finally actually did one of the realms of chaos boss battles yesterday and I found myself surprised by the systems unique to the battle (even if I didn't actually see half of them until halfway through the battle)

I think they are a good system, and yes it would be interesting to adapt them to the campaign layer where you can send units back to the global recruitment pool and re-recruit them later while maintaining veterancy and stuff.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

99pct of germs posted:

once again 3 kingdoms solved this. Units were assigned to a lord, and when you recalled that lord the units would stick with him. This meant that you can quickly move sizable forces just by recalling and redeploying their assigned general.

This also has downsides, as you have to repay the recruitment cost of said units and they start out empty and need a couple turns to build up when out on the map, but they also replenish much faster than they would otherwise, as in it'll takes 3 turns to replenish instead of 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

3K units only recruited that quickly if you didn’t move, right? Like moving your army would break the big mustering replenishment buff. Isn’t that just the same thing as taking two turns in a city?