Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also, I am in kansas city now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kansas or Missouri? Either way, I'm sorry.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Missouri side.

It's fine. Manager scheduled a brewery tour as a team building and lunch at some bbq place.

Everyone on the team is flying in and most of us are meeting in person for the first time.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The Fool posted:

Missouri side.

goondolences

The Fool posted:

lunch at some bbq place.

goongratulations

If you pull up to a place and think "really? this is it?" you're at the right place.

If a waiter seats you and hands you a menu... go find one of the places above.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

If you pull up to a place and think "really? this is it?" you're at the right place.

If a waiter seats you and hands you a menu... go find one of the places above.

this was my experience in italy as well

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerk McJerkface posted:

can you recommend a resource to read to learn kubernetes

I learned by doing unfortunately. It was mostly "I wanna do this" and a lot of googling. Then we implemented helm and helmfile and the operation of it all got simpler.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

AA is for Quitters posted:

I dont have PM, but if you have an email I'll send you the link to that posting. Its highly negotiable since we're expanding so rapidly, and thats such a specialized skill set but it is rural af. We're talking Wyoming, north Dakota etc.they're very open to remote work but something like that they are likely going to want you to be based in the state you're working on. The regular project management role like, just supervising the local field team for construction is a CO listing that says 25-30/hr.

Is this a company that recently rebranded and is also moving into Oklahoma?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Found out the hard way my work desktop does not have wake on lan

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

The Mattybee posted:

Is this a company that recently rebranded and is also moving into Oklahoma?

Lol. Have suggestions of skills I should learn to get off the phones? I'm really loving the company so far, but I'm also just getting my poo poo together in my mid 30s and quit partying and stuff to be yknow a grownup with an office job instead of in restaurants getting high watching the other manager fistfight a customer because they sent their burger back. Its nice working in an environment where the rest of the staff is...adults that act like adults.

If you got tips or suggestions on career path or anything, I'm all ears. (Also there's gotta be at least a few of us that are goons, right? Although most of the really goony ones I've met might be too young to be on here. They're all like 22). I love the job so far, I just would love it more if half the callers weren't classmates with Methuselah.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

we all did our time in helpdesk, it builds toughness. You can't skip it. It's a necessary part of the journey to where you absolutely hate looking at computers and if a family member even mentions looking at their computer you immediately leave their house after top decking their toilet.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My mind has me racing away from your post but my body says Yes…ha ha ha…YES!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

i am a moron posted:

k9s is actually a really useful k8s tool:

https://k9scli.io/

Very disappointed that this page doesn't tell me whether k9s expands to kubernetees or kubernetess.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

jaegerx posted:

we all did our time in helpdesk, it builds toughness. You can't skip it. It's a necessary part of the journey to where you absolutely hate looking at computers and if a family member even mentions looking at their computer you immediately leave their house after top decking their toilet.

Good point. Its not the internet support that's worst tho, its cable. gently caress that

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Good point. Its not the internet support that's worst tho, its cable. gently caress that

i started in dial up tech support. You kids these days have nothing on me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I never did help desk :smug:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

I never did help desk :smug:

schmuck

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Lol. Have suggestions of skills I should learn to get off the phones?

I am still on the phones but on the business side, my recommendation is "get out of the residential side", having spent years there

I don't want to be too specific since I'm sure we're talking about the same place

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I was going to joke "Kubernetes in a Month of Lunches," but apparently that's not a joke because of course it's a book.

i hope the final day is just "everything you've read in the past month is deprecated, see you in part 2"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

ngl I work with a lot of cloud/devops people who never spent time in the help desk mines either because there are real college -> cloud eng pipelines out there. i legit love compsci majors too, they have a foundation that makes IAC and developer-like work easy as hell for them. kinda jealous actually cause me learning terraform was probably like watching someone teach a monkey how to drive

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/2022072...llions-without/

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

lmao ‘it’s a cyber attack!’ no wait whoops some dipshit deleted the single route filter standing between us and our network collapsing

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

I am still on the phones but on the business side, my recommendation is "get out of the residential side", having spent years there

I don't want to be too specific since I'm sure we're talking about the same place

lol, i am completely in agreement. Though hearing "years there" from yet another person, and another goon, makes me feel really good about the place, especially from someone else on the phones. Like, just from what my friends that went to Sonifi and Webit said, it seemed like a good place, but ngl, hearing it from a goon really solidifies it, like if there was some serious office politics in the background i feel like the response would have been to laugh at my naivite.

Thank you for making me feel really good about this change. I was kinda afraid that I was throwing away the past 20 years of food service management experience to do something different, but you're like the millionth person I've heard say they've been there for "years".

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2022

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Several friends of mine started their careers at a DSL customer support shop and the stories...my god. Reality TV didn't have poo poo on early 00's call centers. I met them at an equally toxic helldesk poo poo hole where we had people doing blow in the bathrooms and had the place cleared out more than once for bomb threats by disgruntled employees. I sat next to people who had very recently been making huge dot com startup salaries suddenly reduced to frowning $10/hour phone jockeys. poo poo like that prepares you for what's ahead.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

"Thank you for calling 4-HELP, this is Zorak, may I ask whether you're faculty, staff, or student?"

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I genuinely think working some form of direct user support is a critical skill and if you don't have that experience you're worse at most other IT jobs. There are presumably specialties where it doesn't matter, but it's very instructive to see what kind of real-world problems users have and what they look like, and also to learn how users describe those problems and how they approach computers. If, like me, you were the "kid who's good with computers," it is mind-blowing to see the completely alien ways in which normal people experience computer use. I don't say this because I think I'm "better than" those people, which I am absolutely not; there are lessons to be learned across a very wide spectrum of job roles. It is also a place to practice methodological troubleshooting, which way, way too few people in the industry understand how to do.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I started my career in 2003 doing DSL tech support. Call centers are crazy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Never feel like you have to work your way up in a certain order. The help desk has little to offer you later in your career but maybe some respect for how hard they work.

You don’t have to waste any part of your life doing something you see as lesser. Going directly into a better job can be harder, but people don’t really understand how it’s more achievable now than it ever was before.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

As IT workers, we are all helpdesk. We're serving people with our poo poo. I think starting at the bottom of the poo poo makes you a better tech. I went from helpdesk to datacenter ops to l4 sse. I appreciate the journey I took.

poo poo how many people here can build a computer anymore?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Tech support for a ISP was the only job I dreaded going to work for, people treat you like your sub-human. Every other job has been a living dream compared to it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jaegerx posted:

I am a giant cheapskate, so I still build my own PCs.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

jaegerx posted:

As IT workers, we are all helpdesk. We're serving people with our poo poo. I think starting at the bottom of the poo poo makes you a better tech. I went from helpdesk to datacenter ops to l4 sse. I appreciate the journey I took.

I think it’s important to remember a lot of us are serving the whims of ‘the business’ for sure. But there is an order of magnitude of difference between a VP getting lovely over project deadlines and Ted from accounting screaming at you because he spilled coffee on his own laptop.

I build my own rigs, it’s easy as hell lmao

guppy posted:

I genuinely think working some form of direct user support is a critical skill and if you don't have that experience you're worse at most other IT jobs. There are presumably specialties where it doesn't matter, but it's very instructive to see what kind of real-world problems users have and what they look like, and also to learn how users describe those problems and how they approach computers. If, like me, you were the "kid who's good with computers," it is mind-blowing to see the completely alien ways in which normal people experience computer use. I don't say this because I think I'm "better than" those people, which I am absolutely not; there are lessons to be learned across a very wide spectrum of job roles. It is also a place to practice methodological troubleshooting, which way, way too few people in the industry understand how to do.

I don’t want to poopoo how anyone broke into the industry, but good customer service is often not found on a helpdesk and it’s not the only place to learn it. And sadly, good troubleshooters are born not made.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Like you can be complete rear end at tshooting, a total loving dipshit at it and do architecture and senior engineering. It’s all over the place.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I already have years of cservice and management exp, I’m only learning IT poo poo from my helldesk. Idk it’s hard to force myself to play the job search game when I work myself to mental exhaustion. At least sometimes I get to learn new poo poo but too often it’s a corrupted outlook profile and this guy duplicated his contacts trying to fix it etc

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

jaegerx posted:

I can but lol at touching a computer outside of work. I don’t give a gently caress what processor gen something has or whatever, I don’t game anymore.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

I mean, end user support is end user support, whether you're supporting a network, some software, a hamburger or a pair of shoes. I'm not going to like, pretend I'm some kind of hot poo poo, but 20 years of learning soft skills are 20 years of soft skills. Tech skills can be taught, soft skills you kinda have to develop through doing them. I can see the argument about how helpdesk builds those soft skills, and going directly into an engineering role doesn't.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I am absolutely great on the phone and I attribute it to my years of help desk.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I learned customer service at a grocery store working 40 hours a week like a normal American 15 year old

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i learned it from a homeless shelter

still lol that a job that is 100% easier pays twice the amount

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The hair on the back of my neck stands up when my phone rings, pretty sure I have some mild PTSD from working in a call center, and I definitely cannot stand to be on the phone for more than a couple minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i am a moron posted:

These are generalizations and I think UK pays poverty wages compared to American IT. But if you're looking for Azure jobs candidates basically fall into three categories:

No idea what the gently caress you're doing - you were probably most recently a Windows sysadmin. Some really desperate company is in over their head and will hire you for low 100's because you said you saw someone set up an Azure VPN one time. Make sure you don't dress up, get a cool haircut, maybe some fake hipster glasses. If you're actually good the sky's the limit, otherwise congrats you're now topping out as Azure Sysadmin who everyone will work around but you're getting paid more so gently caress yea.

Knows the infrastructure - You used Terraform one time and claim to be a master on the ole resume. You will piss your coworkers the gently caress off for a couple of months if they know what they're doing, but you'll figure it out. What you have mastered are the nuances of Azure bullshit through force of will and a lot of portal clicking. You might pronounce API wrong, but you know what kind of storage account you need for serial connections to work. Easy 130-150k.

Can support App Teams - Maybe you've done DevOps before maybe you haven't, but you definitely know about TF (or bicep/arm if you suck) more than the other two archetypes and definitely need as much or more as your dev brethren. You understand MS PaaS and all the nuances of private networking. You know your way around YAML. You understand CICD even though you don't really need to dive into it unless something the devs set up is hosed up. You need advanced knowledge of data or k8s or App Services or whatever doesn't really matter - you need to have mastered something that will be useful somewhere. k8s is inescapable even on Azure now, so it's not a bad choice. 170k+ is in your future here

:words:

I just want to quote this post one more time and sorry the folks I haven't got back to over PMs. I just flipped my LinkedIn Profile to looking for work and holy gently caress I cannot believe kind of offers I am receiving. :homebrew:

But how long will this last? :ohdear: