Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should keep adding potential explanations. Her mom was splashed with a bunch of chemicals and struck by lightning while she was pregnant, her dad did research on radioactive voles, she’s 1/16th Skrull, a time travel plot implies she might be herself from the future, etc.

With enough possible answers, no single answer could ever be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
She is infinitely improbable and so guaranteed to happen almost immediately

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
doreen green isn't a mutant, she's a computer science student with good friends

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cloks posted:

:hmmyes:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

I think giving an explicit answer to the source of Doreen's powers would be a little anathema to her whole vibe. Her powers are a tail and heightened athleticism, I think she can't even really talk to squirrels, it's just squirrels can talk and she was the first human to bother to learn their language, didn't Nancy eventually learn how to do it because she's a polyglot and put in the work?

That's massively underselling Doreen's power set, she's basically got the same power set as Spider-Man(minus the Spider Sense and sticking to walls parts, and I think her super strength has a much lower cap but she's still pretty strong) with a bit of Wolverine mixed in(those little claws of hers), she just rarely ever shows off her real potential because she prefers nonviolent solutions over pummeling the crap out of people

Plus I'm pretty sure the talking to squirrels thing is explicitly a power and not just her learning to talk to them

howe_sam posted:

She has the proportional abilities of both squirrel and girl, which means she's got the tail, enhanced leaping, knuckle spikes, and a bite force of almost two million pounds.

I did forget about the biting thing

site posted:

there is absolutely no need to dwell on whether Doreen is a mutant or inhuman or some exposure anomaly or whatever the gently caress. do not give a single poo poo about that. focusing on it is just like totally missing the point of the character

It's not actually important but that kind of thing getting intentionally glossed over bugs the poo poo out of me

Cloks posted:

Never was a fan of her suddenly deciding she needed to care about having a secret identity when prior to USG she didn't really seem to care at all, or for that matter even have a civilian life at all

Like I get it's meant as a joke but it's not a particularly funny or clever one

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Never was a fan of her suddenly deciding she needed to care about having a secret identity when prior to USG she didn't really seem to care at all, or for that matter even have a civilian life at all

I mean, a big part of the beginning of the series is her actually attempting to have a life beyond super heroing for a change.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is one of my favorite books of all time, and something I feel everyone should try. I really wish they did more books like it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
the thing about Squirrel Girl is that your reaction to Unbeatable Squirrel Girl basically answers any and all questions about the character

Because either you loved that book, in which case you know perfectly well that questions like "should she care about her secret identity" or "is she a mutant" or "did she really imply she'd banged Wolverine that one time" are irrelevant, because she's a computer science student with very good friends and that's what matters

Or you didn't love that book, in which case you don't need to keep asking questions like the above because she's not going to be in books that are aimed towards the people who give a poo poo about those things

Stop taking Squirrel Girl seriously, that's not what she's for

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

glitchwraith posted:

I mean, a big part of the beginning of the series is her actually attempting to have a life beyond super heroing for a change.

You aren't wrong, I just feel they handled it in a really clunky way initially, it felt more natural once she had a sizable supporting cast who knows she's a super hero so they could reduce how often they dipped into the shallow well that is the "Doreen is really bad at keeping a secret identity and is super awkward about it" gag which made it more tolerable if not actually funny or interesting to deal with whenever it did crop up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe hickman is writing usg and will give us a 60 part epic about her origin

^^^ she has her main cast by the second issue

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

the thing about Squirrel Girl is that your reaction to Unbeatable Squirrel Girl basically answers any and all questions about the character

Because either you loved that book, in which case you know perfectly well that questions like "should she care about her secret identity" or "is she a mutant" or "did she really imply she'd banged Wolverine that one time" are irrelevant, because she's a computer science student with very good friends and that's what matters

Or you didn't love that book, in which case you don't need to keep asking questions like the above because she's not going to be in books that are aimed towards the people who give a poo poo about those things

Stop taking Squirrel Girl seriously, that's not what she's for

Man you're kind of being a prick about this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m not thrilled that she’s a computer science major. Comics shouldn’t be encouraging young people to go into STEM.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean squirrel girl was in new avengers/u.s. avengers which were...moderately serious books

hell that panel from usg is at the new avengers base if I remember right

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

I mean squirrel girl was in new avengers/u.s. avengers which were...moderately serious books

You might need to go re-read those

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

hell that panel from usg is at the new avengers base if I remember right

Well as serious as a book that introduced the world to The American Kaiju can be but my point exactly

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OnimaruXLR posted:

The stuff with Tombstone is good. Great, even.

Whether or not you have any interest in the the "WHA'HAPPUN?!?!" mystery involving the timeskip (that apparently involves how Moira bodyjacked MJ) will depend on your personal taste

I think the fact MJ has two kids that are too old to have had them in the time-skip is maybe the more important bit of the mystery than the bodyjacking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I disagree but that’s more because it’s so obviously not actually what’s happening it’s hard to care. Like he could have made it a bit more ambiguous

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Moira kidnapping MJ happened in a FCB issue. That wasn't skipped over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait this I didn’t read any FCB issue so this kidnapping thing is new to me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

You might need to go re-read those

I said moderately! In comparison to usg!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo I just realized what they're doing with Namor in the new Black Panther movie. The big hat, the art, the jewelry. They're basing Atlantis off the Aztecs. Wakanda is a vision of an uncolonized Africa, Atlantis is a vision of an uncolonized America. Which instantly adds a ton of meaning to Namor being mixed-race.

That's very clever and now I'm fully expecting a relaunched Namor comic to make the comics align better with that take.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the rumor is that Tlalocan is replacing Atlantis.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Yeah the rumor is that Tlalocan is replacing Atlantis.

That is such a fantastic idea, I wouldn't be surprised if it instantly elevates Namor to a A-list household name beloved character like what happened with Black Panther when the first movie came out.

With the drawback that I imagine there will be a lot of people disappointed when they are introduced to Namor through the movie and then go and get a Namor Epic Collection.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo I just realized what they're doing with Namor in the new Black Panther movie. The big hat, the art, the jewelry. They're basing Atlantis off the Aztecs. Wakanda is a vision of an uncolonized Africa, Atlantis is a vision of an uncolonized America. Which instantly adds a ton of meaning to Namor being mixed-race.

That's very clever and now I'm fully expecting a relaunched Namor comic to make the comics align better with that take.

Ehh, the Black Panther movie helped get people who already bought comics to also buy Black Panther comics, but I don't think it got a lot of people who weren't already buying comics to buy more than one or two trades.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/infinity-comics-series-its-jeff-returns-to-marvel-unlimited-this-september

:getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Phase 6 Marvel is going to be amazing.

https://twitter.com/KindlyWizard/status/1551359780849037312?s=20&t=zIVIYRq07anCoDPoHhqw5w

(I honestly don't see why you wouldn't do it, the movie where a lady fucks a fish man won 4 Oscars, including best Picture and Best Director)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hell yeah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Phase 6 Marvel is going to be amazing.

https://twitter.com/KindlyWizard/status/1551359780849037312?s=20&t=zIVIYRq07anCoDPoHhqw5w

(I honestly don't see why you wouldn't do it, the movie where a lady fucks a fish man won 4 Oscars, including best Picture and Best Director)

It's going to be Keiron's favorite $500 he ever makes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the fact MJ has two kids that are too old to have had them in the time-skip is maybe the more important bit of the mystery than the bodyjacking.

I am glad the idea of a blended family is unthinkable to you for some reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The idea of a blended family after a couple of months is pretty unrealistic yeah. Kids don’t usually take that quickly. Which is one of the main problems for those families

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I'm sorry if I created that impression, but as CharlesTheHammer noted it did seem rather atypical for stepchildren to adopt someone as their 'mommy' so soon, not to mention they very clearly seem to resemble MJ & Paul.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Those two kids and Natasha's clone son from Kelly Thompson's Black Widow run are going to have a lot to discuss.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What’s the state of Wanda’s boys? Did she make them out of magic, are they real, what’s up with them?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gripweed posted:

What’s the state of Wanda’s boys? Did she make them out of magic, are they real, what’s up with them?

Handwavingly reincarnated as Billy and Tommy Shepherd of the Young Avengers. It firmly falls into the Marvel "don't think about it too hard" zone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wanderer posted:

Handwavingly reincarnated as Billy and Tommy Shepherd of the Young Avengers. It firmly falls into the Marvel "don't think about it too hard" zone.

Sure but like, how long have those two physically existed? Less than their apparent age, right? Do they have a lifetime worth of memories? Did they need to pull some strings with the Avengers to get Social Security cards and GEDs?

If Wanda died would they vanish, or do they have a physical reality separate from Wanda’s magic?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gripweed posted:

Sure but like, how long have those two physically existed? Less than their apparent age, right?

No. They were born before Wanda lost her kids. They are as old as they appear to be. They are literally just two kids who have the souls of Wanda's dead children.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanda did die and they were fine.

Like it was stated, those two are just like... Don't worry about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mulva posted:

No. They were born before Wanda lost her kids. They are as old as they appear to be. They are literally just two kids who have the souls of Wanda's dead children.

Did they have other souls before that?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Did they have other souls before that?

It's, like, retroactive reincarnation. So the souls where her babies, then after being unmade went back in time to become new babies, who grew up in a brand new life that started before their original life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

glitchwraith posted:

It's, like, retroactive reincarnation. So the souls where her babies, then after being unmade went back in time to become new babies, who grew up in a brand new life that started before their original life.

Well that’s convenient.