Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Suzera posted:

You can definitely play 7 Days to Die without a base and have a decent to good time going through the POIs and trying not to die during horde night if you're not riding around on a bi/motorcycle. Ammo might be a bit riskier if you commit to having no base structures or doing mining at all, but this can be played around. I'm actually not sure if I've ever really farmed in 7 Days ever. I don't think so.

You can definitely grind progression down over time if you respawn, but getting to the top tier of stuff or some high level without dying if you play it permadeath is a challenge. It also supports making zombies always sprint regardless of day/night time and some other things that greatly increase the difficulty without making them bullet sponges or one shot you. There's definite challenge runs type potential in it.

I have a lot of fun with 7 Days with horde night disabled and regular spawn rate turned up, and wandering hordes turned WAY up. You don't have to build an AI-breaking "horde base" you can just dig a hole in the ground and put some boxes in it and dump your poo poo there if you want. I play on Warrior diff with daytime zombie speed set to Jog at start and it's plenty hard, with room to turn it up more if it becomes too easy later. Once you get into good gear with high stats and are doing really large headshot damage the difficulty comes more from the harder zombie types (radiated especially) than the actual difficulty setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'll put this on the shelf alongside a dozen other Unity Asset Store games all claiming to be THE ONE zombie game, that either never got a full release or came out sparse, buggy, and boring.
I desperately want one of them to turn out good but until they put more on the table it's too early to commit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If anyone is even considering any of those category of "survival+zombies" games and has never tried 7 Days you really, really should try 7 Days.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Flesh Forge posted:

If anyone is even considering any of those category of "survival+zombies" games and has never tried 7 Days you really, really should try 7 Days.

Just a heads up though, the PC version is drastically different than the console versions.

The console version is a very old version of the game.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

swordfish duelist posted:

Just a heads up though, the PC version is drastically different than the console versions.

The console version is a very old version of the game.
Yeah I think console 7DtD is based off like build 15 or something like that when they're up to 20 now. It looks like an early PS3/Xbox game.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would say the older version of 7dtd is worth playing just for experiencing a completely different skill system like oblivion, and witness some antique old POi that’s still as fun as its modern iteration.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sorry, that didn't even occur to me :kiddo:

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Phigs posted:

7 days to die is an interesting one because I was actually thinking of it when I made the post. I love the looting POIs part of the game but it tends to be less and less important as you go. It's a little too easy to get to the point where you've got a big stockpile of food and water even without farming. It's designed around the horde night survival more than it is about scavenging for survival so I feel like if I just turned loot down I'd start to get annoyed at how it slowed down my ability to survive the other systems. I'd love a game where you find a small stash of canned goods and are super excited about it, and for the game to be built around that being the core thing you're about.
That's part of why I said just don't build a base at all. Can't build a stockpile if you have nowhere to store it and you'll have to be more choosey about ammo vs food vs weapons.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

regarding that, one pretty massive change in the most recent version of 7 days is there are zero working craft benches anywhere in the world, and if you want one (or anything that requires one to be crafted) then you have to either unlock it or get very lucky and find or buy the schematic or a completed one, and you will need somewhere to place it and let it crank out whatever poo poo you want to make. I don't like this change, I liked it a lot better when you could occasionally find working crafting benches in various places.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I guess, but does it have a refrigerator that gains/loses capacity depending on how it's placed?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Edit :wrong thread :doh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Two levels of mechanics on day two, holy drat that's lucky

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Started a new game as a park ranger, almost 2 months into the game now, decided to just go around looting as much as I could and squat wherever was safest, but then I ended up settling near a small lake in Muldraugh. Made a small cabin and maxed out foraging and carpentry is near max! Just wish I could find the herbalist magazine so I could know what's poisonous or not, but theoretically I guess I can live here forever?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the poison berry thing is a pretty massive roadblock, one of those hard binary switches that kind of suck about zomboid. do you have a saw y/n? do you have a sledgehammer y/n? do you have a screwdriver y/n?
e: tbh the difficulty of acquiring poison berry knowledge thing is the most realistic of any of these

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I’ll be honest, I really am not interested in another zombie survival game. The sub-genre has been done to death, no pun intended. I’d much rather see a survival game with a different setting. Subnautica is probably one of the best survival games ever made even though it uses the same mechanics as other games; the setting makes it completely unique.

e: I say this having played basically all of the zombie survival games ever made. Plenty of them are great, I just don’t see the need for another one.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

kedo posted:

I’ll be honest, I really am not interested in another zombie survival game. The sub-genre has been done to death, no pun intended. I’d much rather see a survival game with a different setting. Subnautica is probably one of the best survival games ever made even though it uses the same mechanics as other games; the setting makes it completely unique.

e: I say this having played basically all of the zombie survival games ever made. Plenty of them are great, I just don’t see the need for another one.

I agree with you there. I'd love to see new takes.

Like, I know I was really interested in that Tin Can game, trying to survive the vacuum of space in an escape pod sounds amazing, but the actual game play is way too stressful for my anxiety ridden rear end.

So, I'll stick with zomboid and 7 days for now. Might make another run through of the forest before sons of the forest releases.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Big Scary Owl posted:

Started a new game as a park ranger, almost 2 months into the game now, decided to just go around looting as much as I could and squat wherever was safest, but then I ended up settling near a small lake in Muldraugh. Made a small cabin and maxed out foraging and carpentry is near max! Just wish I could find the herbalist magazine so I could know what's poisonous or not, but theoretically I guess I can live here forever?

Got lemongrass? You can start experimenting to determine which kind of berry is poisonous, and then pound good food and lemongrass once you've figured out that you ate the poisonous kind

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Got lemongrass? You can start experimenting to determine which kind of berry is poisonous, and then pound good food and lemongrass once you've figured out that you ate the poisonous kind

Oh so you can figure it out by testing? I thought that it was random, noted!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

kedo posted:

Surprised we haven't seen a game in a X-COM-like setting where you're trying to survive on an Earth that has been taken over/wiped out by aliens. Or a more survival game take on Alien: Isolation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

kedo posted:

Stuff like this is imo why the STALKER series is so popular, it is at its core largely similar concepts, a pseudo post-apocalyptic area with hostile life and environmental dangers where despite everything other survivors are the real biggest threat. But instead of just zombies and special zombies you have a plethora of weird mutants, and instead of just infected blood and miasma you get cool anomalies. Maybe I'm stretching it a bit, but honestly even just some flavor and setting changes are enough to spice something up.

Phigs posted:

Surprised we haven't seen a game in a X-COM-like setting where you're trying to survive on an Earth that has been taken over/wiped out by aliens. Or a more survival game take on Alien: Isolation.
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has a pretty good setting in that even though it's a zombie survival game on its face you have killer robots, lovecraftian horrors, extradimensional aliens, monsters from hell, shadow creatures, and sometimes even goblins and owlbears. It just throws every apocalypse into the blender at once and the over the top mish-mash of threats feels really unique. It's a shame the game itself is so impenetrable and often hostile to its players, because a setting like that in a game that's actually accessible would hit pretty well right now.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Zombie survival games might have been done to death by now but if you add "good" and "finished" as qualifiers, suddenly it's hard to find any.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
There has to be room for a 1st person zomboid. It’s certainly a better zombie survival simulator than 7 days, which feels more like a typical surivival simulator with zombies added really, due to the crafting mechanics taking you from caveman to mechanical demigod.

I actually preferred the hordes and zombie mechanics in 7 days back in alpha 15. Before sleepers - where most of the zombies you bump into in poi’s are stationary, and the roaming hordes felt a lot more random and organic like they were genuinely passing through the area rather than spawning and coming straight at you.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

CareyB posted:

and the roaming hordes felt a lot more random and organic like they were genuinely passing through the area rather than spawning and coming straight at you.
I agree. Those passingby should only come for us if our heat/sound/smell attracts them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CareyB posted:

There has to be room for a 1st person zomboid. It’s certainly a better zombie survival simulator than 7 days, which feels more like a typical surivival simulator with zombies added really, due to the crafting mechanics taking you from caveman to mechanical demigod.

I actually preferred the hordes and zombie mechanics in 7 days back in alpha 15. Before sleepers - where most of the zombies you bump into in poi’s are stationary, and the roaming hordes felt a lot more random and organic like they were genuinely passing through the area rather than spawning and coming straight at you.

There's a few issues with first person zomboid that the third person isometric obscures. Weapon skills and rolling attacks would become a lot more obvious and you'd end up with either an easier game since you can deliberately headshot zeds easily or the damage system changes so now you have a Dying Light situation that is completely different. Your closer angle view also cuts back on the impact of big hordes. There's also the issue that crouch sneaking becomes way harder because now you aren't just moving slower, your view is actually lower and you can't see poo poo.

Then from the other side, the searching and cooking and building and all of that stuff, you end up with basically the same system as currently stands but now you have to stare at cabinets all day long.

You could probably get away with something like State Of Decay with more detailed skill systems and survival mechanics, it's third person but it's pulled in and still works pretty well.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Nyaa posted:

I agree. Those passingby should only come for us if our heat/sound/smell attracts them.

Yeah, watching a wandering horde converge on your exact location with laser accuracy just seems like it's designed to gently caress over the player (not to mention blood moon hordes). Zomboid's zombie generation and horde behaviour is much better. At least you have a fighting chance to GTFO.

I gave up after the fifth death from trying to clear my Undead Legacy base of a wandering horde. I'll be turning the zombie count right down if I play again. For now, it's back to Zomboid again.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It’s unfortunate that so many of these 7dtd mods are making the game harder because the vet think the base game is too easy or adding choreful components for the sake of realism.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
7DTD has been kind of scatterbrained across its whole development IMO. Sleeper zombies in POIs are boring and just an annoyance even early into the game, the current stat system is boring, they've done some cool graphical upgrades I guess but the actual game mostly sucks now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I do miss standing next to a cactus to farm endurance and med exp. :ghost:

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Yeah the graphical updates are one thing but there’s very little atmosphere, and the game relies on jumpscares basically, which don’t quite make up for decent poi level designs (that are easily circumvented anyway).

CuddleCryptid makes a lot of fair points above, I wouldn’t know the solution to all those problems, but a satisfying melee system, and not being or expected to ever be superhuman would be a start. Whether that’s ever fun or not is a different matter I suppose! But with some speeding up of time when performing certain tasks, giving the player just the right amount of assistance without making them feel like they’re getting help, would all be steps in the right direction where it’s pretty all or nothing in most games (tho I’ve never played state of decay and may have to check it out)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CareyB posted:

But with some speeding up of time when performing certain tasks, giving the player just the right amount of assistance without making them feel like they’re getting help, would all be steps in the right direction where it’s pretty all or nothing in most games (tho I’ve never played state of decay and may have to check it out)

Necesse (and supposedly Outworlder, which is still in development), I think take the right path. You start off needing to take care of everything yourself and you have a constant battle juggling time to ensure you're still on track to survive. But, as you essentially start mastering something, you can gain NPCs to take care of the basics.

I'd be super down for a survival game that starts off as solo survival, then small group survival, then settlement survival. You can still take part in any of the previous "eras," but the player character is situated and/or positions itself as leadership. Figuring out how to make your first few .762 is good, you care about each ammo piece as it's scarce and changes your gameplay. When you're making your 1000th... not so much... which if you've been going through that much ammo, logically it means you're doing more things than you had before and so could support an NPC at "base" who can be assigned to make ammo or any other number of things.

With what Project Zomboid has outlined, that's what it seems they've got on track for NPCs. Depending on how fast they move into B42 and then B43, this could be next year or next decade. With their goal of really leaning in to the long term survival and rebuilding of society, that could be real freaking neat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CareyB posted:

that's the Blood Moon horde mechanic, which I agree isn't very good and can be disabled, instead you can use a mod that increases wandering horde size and it works the way you'd like. it's loving unsettling to see a group of 30+ zombies sprinting somewhere together (not straight at you) at night like they have a purpose :stare:

Protocol7 posted:

7DTD has been kind of scatterbrained across its whole development IMO. Sleeper zombies in POIs are boring and just an annoyance even early into the game, the current stat system is boring, they've done some cool graphical upgrades I guess but the actual game mostly sucks now.

have you tried the new Feral Sense setting in A20, because it makes sleeper zombies wake up and smell you and come out of POIs to come find you
e: it makes cities insanely dangerous, and they're already more dangerous than they used to be in earlier releases
e: I don't actually use this setting myself and I'm reading it kind of works the other way around, you'll be in a POI and a lot more stuff will hear you inside and come at you unexpectedly while you're involved with the POI

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 25, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's a few issues with first person zomboid that the third person isometric obscures. Weapon skills and rolling attacks would become a lot more obvious and you'd end up with either an easier game since you can deliberately headshot zeds easily or the damage system changes so now you have a Dying Light situation that is completely different. Your closer angle view also cuts back on the impact of big hordes. There's also the issue that crouch sneaking becomes way harder because now you aren't just moving slower, your view is actually lower and you can't see poo poo.

Then from the other side, the searching and cooking and building and all of that stuff, you end up with basically the same system as currently stands but now you have to stare at cabinets all day long.

You could probably get away with something like State Of Decay with more detailed skill systems and survival mechanics, it's third person but it's pulled in and still works pretty well.
I think a ton of these problems could be solved if you were building this game from the ground up and not just trying really hard to make "Zomboid, but first person" as rigidly as possible. Like obviously looting systems would be changed up a bit, plenty of games do engaging looting in first person. Player skills, attacks, gunplay, and combat would be balanced around a more FPS input but actual ability could still be affected by skills depending on how much you want player skill to matter*. Sneaking could just... not make you crouch. Sneaking IRL doesn't usually involve crouching way down, that's just a long standing conceit in video games. It would be pretty easy to fix these potential problems by just doing something slightly differently.

*I would argue Zomboid puts a lot of value on player skill, not just character skill, more than I see most people talk about. Melee fighting is imo way more dependent on player skill than your character's stats. Having low combat stats will tire you out quicker or mean a few more hits to finish a zombie, but loving up the timing or not aiming the right way at the right time as the player will get you killed instantly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just nabbed Vintage Story. Which settings should I have for the temporal storms?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Black Griffon posted:

Just nabbed Vintage Story. Which settings should I have for the temporal storms?

Rare and short and/or enable sleeping through them. Even if the storm itself has gotten a really nice visual overhaul with the last experimental build, drifters (the enemies that the storm will spawn en mass) are still the worst part of the game. They are just an uninteresting enemy to fight, both mechanically and aesthetically, and the tougher variants of them are absurdly strong and can't be realistically fought in melee without real armour, a -massive- time and resource investment that will get shredded like paper anyways by said tougher variants. My saltyness about the first full suit of chainmail armour I made evaporating (while working pretty drat well for how little time it lasted) may be colouring that opinion tho.

It's basically "I have to sit inside for X amount of time now". The only real reward is a higher chance of nabbing a temporal gear, but that's only because there's allot more drifters to kill than you'd normally get from farming them for a night.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jawnycat posted:

Rare and short and/or enable sleeping through them. Even if the storm itself has gotten a really nice visual overhaul with the last experimental build, drifters (the enemies that the storm will spawn en mass) are still the worst part of the game. They are just an uninteresting enemy to fight, both mechanically and aesthetically, and the tougher variants of them are absurdly strong and can't be realistically fought in melee without real armour, a -massive- time and resource investment that will get shredded like paper anyways by said tougher variants. My saltyness about the first full suit of chainmail armour I made evaporating (while working pretty drat well for how little time it lasted) may be colouring that opinion tho.

It's basically "I have to sit inside for X amount of time now". The only real reward is a higher chance of nabbing a temporal gear, but that's only because there's allot more drifters to kill than you'd normally get from farming them for a night.

Right on, thanks. Should I adjust general combat stats (HP and so on) or is the game pretty well balanced outside the drifters?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i love that people are talking about project zomboid in 2022. i bought it like 15 years ago and watched them repeatedly lose all their progress, it's great to see they got it all figured out :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And added a substantial number of new and interesting systems, just a few years ago the game was very different. They also doubled the map size, not just with empty wilderness but with a city area that's bigger and denser than anything else in the game before that.

I don't know what changed to make development accelerate so much but I'm glad Zomboid seems to have grown legs

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Black Griffon posted:

Right on, thanks. Should I adjust general combat stats (HP and so on) or is the game pretty well balanced outside the drifters?

Definitely agree with what the other poster said about the drifters, they are mostly boring.

I think most of the combat stats were reasonable outside of that for dealing with animals, but I thought the low tier armor's durability was so low as to be pointless. Felt like it was gone in 3 hits. Maybe boost their durability by 50-100% or something like that.

edit: I just skimmed the post and see they have the same complaint I do about armor, heh. Yeah armor durability is dogshit for how much it costs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It doesn't help that armor is the most expensive poo poo in the game by a huge amount. A good armor set costs as much metal as dozens of reliable tools and lasts a fraction as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It doesn't help that armor is the most expensive poo poo in the game by a huge amount. A good armor set costs as much metal as dozens of reliable tools and lasts a fraction as long.

I think the upcoming update adds armor repair to fix this precise problem. Otherwise, I've never dabbled in metal armors because of how expensive they are to make.

For Temporal Storms, drifter AI is dumb af and they take fire damage, so you can build a stone hut above ground, use a ladder which needs a jump to get to it, and then underneath, a 2x2 pit kiln area with added pit features that you light before the storm activates. In your hut, you've made the floor or ceiling use a partial block (hay beds are great for this) so you're constantly crouching but drifters are unable to spawn inside. I would frequently use the time to clay craft, and you could probably bring an anvil and forge up there with you. Drifters try to congregate under you, which is on fire, and as they get stuck in the pit, they catch fire and die. Once the storm is over, there's frequently a few corpses to harvest.

The only reason to go through them is that it's a consistent way to get temporal gears.