Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I managed to completely miss the Dominaria preview article last week, but there is one thing I have to get off my chest

This is not how geese work, at all. And yes I am also aware they are not typically made of gold.

Please do tell us the correct diet of the magical golden goose that can channel mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Eggs, right?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I managed to completely miss the Dominaria preview article last week, but there is one thing I have to get off my chest

This is not how geese work, at all. And yes I am also aware they are not typically made of gold.

I don't want to live in a world without carnivorous golden goslings

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What's the correct number of land destruction spells for ponza? 8? 10?

Going to mess around with RG midrange some more, no ragavans, W6 or seasoned pyro. Is it worth cutting BBE/chandras and obstinate baloths in the side to jam obosh? It removes post board enchantment removal as well (Cindervines/force of vigor) but I figure 2 boseiju might be be enough anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This is not how geese work, at all.

I bet that fish was thinking that too and look where it ended up!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Geese do eat fish though, rarely.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VIOLENT J: loving geese, how do they work

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Stickers look hilarious and I can't wait to draft that set. I will shoehorn them into every deck they could possibly work in. I don't even have a legacy deck but what's a cheap one so that I can shove some stickers into it and win games by giving my opponents brain aneurysms when they see me pull out my sticker pile and start shuffling?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

A Moose posted:

Stickers look hilarious and I can't wait to draft that set. I will shoehorn them into every deck they could possibly work in. I don't even have a legacy deck but what's a cheap one so that I can shove some stickers into it and win games by giving my opponents brain aneurysms when they see me pull out my sticker pile and start shuffling?

Burn most likely. Or nic fit without dual lands?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A Moose posted:

People are already having brain aneurysms just thinking about stickers, imagine what'll happen when they actually exist.

Do you even need to have the sticker-caring cards in your deck to play a sticker pile? Can you walk up with a stock Legacy deck and shuffle up stickers before each game? Is it now ~OPTIMAL~ to have stickers before every game of Vintage? Are commander players going to shriek and moan that they are obligated to bring yet more crap to the table?? I'm excited for what this means for eternal formats.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 25, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

geese...lay eggs right?

for flavor they should have given the goose a sac for value ability

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Nastier Nate posted:

geese...lay eggs right?

for flavor they should have given the goose a sac for value ability

it's a reprint from eldraine and it's one of the better mana dorks printed into standard in a long time

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I mean, wasn’t it one of the main reasons Oko murdered the standard format at the time (before he got banned obviously)

Turn two pw with 6 loyalty is a hell of a thing (and I didn’t even have to look up the 6 loyalty thing because i remember he didn’t die to fry)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The goose itself was fine, everything around it (Once Upon A Time, Oko, the color Green in general) was the problem

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
now I think about it more, if Oko started at 3 loyalty instead of 4 do you think he would've managed to avoid completely wrecking standard? Starting at 3 means he would still die to fry after ticking up for food, which means that noxious grasp would no longer be the only real way to deal with a resolved oko. And since veil of summer doesn't work against red spells, perhaps that means fry would actually have been better at dealing with him than noxious grasp

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Oko would have been acceptable if literally all of his stats were different, correct.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Froghammer posted:

The goose itself was fine, everything around it (Once Upon A Time, Oko, the color Green in general) was the problem

I also agree. Goose needs a lot of things to line up to be playable and everything did.

I still love once upon a time and I wish it was never banned. It was just green when green was too good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kurona_bright posted:

now I think about it more, if Oko started at 3 loyalty instead of 4 do you think he would've managed to avoid completely wrecking standard? Starting at 3 means he would still die to fry after ticking up for food, which means that noxious grasp would no longer be the only real way to deal with a resolved oko. And since veil of summer doesn't work against red spells, perhaps that means fry would actually have been better at dealing with him than noxious grasp

Ticking up for defense on a 3 mana walker is too good for standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Ticking up for defense on a 3 mana walker is too good for standard.

Repeatable beast within at 3 is too good for standard

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

I also agree. Goose needs a lot of things to line up to be playable and everything did.

I still love once upon a time and I wish it was never banned. It was just green when green was too good.

Imo every colour should have a OUAT effect for a spell type that colour cares about and a land.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oko being killable a bit easier doesnt change enough tbh, the cards abilities are too good and werent properly balanced (it is absurd that the turn to elk is a plus instead of a minus)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Imo every colour should have a OUAT effect for a spell type that colour cares about and a land.

When I playtested Eldraine OUAT, instead of letting you look at the top five, name land or nonland then flip your library till you hit a card of the appropriate type. It was so sweet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

When I playtested Eldraine OUAT, instead of letting you look at the top five, name land or nonland then flip your library till you hit a card of the appropriate type. It was so sweet.

So they just gave it a different name then and made that card.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but it kept the free casting cost.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Yes! I still feel the card was/is balanced. When the card is at its full power, its great! When you are casting it for 2 cmc, its meh. It led to more playable games of magic which was the point of the card to begin with. It died for the sins of the blizzard staff.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm saying that there will be some "turbo sticker" archetype in legacy and/or vintage and it will be busted.

lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oko being killable a bit easier doesnt change enough tbh, the cards abilities are too good and werent properly balanced (it is absurd that the turn to elk is a plus instead of a minus)

3 Loyalty, +1/-1/-5 should've been okos stats

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They should have given Oko Split Second and made his +1 you win the game

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’ve never seen anyone bluff in legacy by bringing a bunch of dungeons cards they don’t need, something to track energy they don’t use, bringing and revealing a box filled with ability counters they can’t use, spending a sideboard slot on a pointless companion to reveal, pretending like they have a pregame action they eventually decline to take, asking for a storm count after every action, doing the annoying miracle draw thing, etc.

This world people are imagining where players are going to do a bunch of annoying poo poo for a slight percentage increase only exists for Reddit guys who post about Magic more than they actually play.

I was pretty cold on them, but idk I don’t think Stickers are going to matter for 99% of the people who play this game, but for the people who REALLY like Stickers I’m glad they can play them in their low power edh games without having to beg permission.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Been playing esper food in modern and I am 26-4 with it. Feels so good in this meta

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

Been playing esper food in modern and I am 26-4 with it. Feels so good in this meta

That’s the Time Sieve build?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

fadam posted:

I’ve never seen anyone bluff in legacy by bringing a bunch of dungeons cards they don’t need, something to track energy they don’t use, bringing and revealing a box filled with ability counters they can’t use, spending a sideboard slot on a pointless companion to reveal, pretending like they have a pregame action they eventually decline to take, asking for a storm count after every action, doing the annoying miracle draw thing, etc.

This world people are imagining where players are going to do a bunch of annoying poo poo for a slight percentage increase only exists for Reddit guys who post about Magic more than they actually play.

I was pretty cold on them, but idk I don’t think Stickers are going to matter for 99% of the people who play this game, but for the people who REALLY like Stickers I’m glad they can play them in their low power edh games without having to beg permission.

Mark rosewater also said they deliberately costed them not to see competitive play: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/690702738865225729/has-wotc-considered-separating-commander-and

quote:

We were very conservative with the costing of the eternal cards. I'm not saying nothing could end up getting played (maybe weird interactions create something new), but nothing was close to being pushed. We don't expect Unfinity to have a big impact on Legacy and Vintage. A lot of this concern is more hypothetical than practical.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

That’s the Time Sieve build?

Yup. the 4 color decks fold to it and it goes infinite from boardstates you can’t anticipate without hand information so it’s scooping a lot of “free” wins rn

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hey, it's everyone's favorite Bryan Cibblar playing Magic: The Gathering old Standard with Voxy from Twitch. Prof sporting a very good Fedora.

https://youtu.be/ewNy3ylRZdE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Back when scars just was printed and people were having their inkmoths go Berserk people would set down a poison marker even if they weren't on infect.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Maro talked to the Rules Manager about why Far Out can't be Eternal
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/markrosewater/690779081740075008?source=share

It's because some modal cards would break. The example they gave is Outlaw's Meriment

Because of the way its worded, it would create a token that is 3/1, 2/1, and 1/2 at the same time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It would also probably break the Confluence modal cycles as well.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Framboise posted:

It would also probably break the Confluence modal cycles as well.

I think it works with those, you just get to do each option once (or only one or two once if you wanted to). It seems like it's just the power/toughness setting that causes contradictions and they could have come up with a ruling to address it if they really wanted it to work.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They can probably fix that one card, but then in the future they want to make another card with contradictory modes and they'd be like "ugh that goddamn joke card from years ago has hosed us again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Qwertycoatl posted:

They can probably fix that one card, but then in the future they want to make another card with contradictory modes and they'd be like "ugh that goddamn joke card from years ago has hosed us again"

Yeah, thats what Maro said in that interview