Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Argick remains one of the best things going in speedrunning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Bold of Bobby to defy the only rule about wearing a mask they have at ESA, "don't wear it when your miced up"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Bold of Bobby to defy the only rule about wearing a mask they have at ESA, "don't wear it when your miced up"

I think it's a "preferred but not enforced" kinda thing and everyone can use their own judgment.

Personally I'd like subtitles anyway since there's so many thick accents in every speedrunning event. Especially during covid you had peoples' home mics in big events too and they certainly weren't always very good. I'm hard of hearing by nature, and masks don't exactly help my situation but ofc I understand why people would wear 'em if they prefer.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

An Actual Princess posted:

actually no one should watch esa, because they're a garbage organization

Seriously though, what's up with this?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ilmucche posted:

Seriously though, what's up with this?

among other things, "complaining about chuds is a bannable offense"

https://twitter.com/succinct_punchy/status/1283095229155991553?s=21

but more broadly, they've got a habit of trying to be the "cooler edgier funnner gdq" and just pull in people who've been banned from GDQ for Good Reasons which is kind of reason enough to pass on them imo

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

and just pull in people who've been banned from GDQ for Good Reasons which is kind of reason enough to pass on them imo

Who?

I mean, ESA's beef with Punchy is definitely a huge mess and handled really badly, but I just mainly want to enjoy some fun speedruns and there's been those. Lot of same runners you'll find in GDQ events as well. The "weird" nature of ESA has gotten a lot less prevalent over the last few years and at least it seems like they're trying to run things a bit more professionally nowadays. (and yes I have been annoyed by the laissez-faire attitude of the event in the past as well)

But as long as we're speaking about the nature of ESA... they just had a run of Drakengard on a Nokia 6220. (you read that correctly)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 25, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TeaJay posted:

Who?

I mean, ESA's beef with Punchy is definitely a huge mess and handled really badly, but I just mainly want to enjoy some fun speedruns and there's been those. Lot of same runners you'll find in GDQ events as well. The "weird" nature of ESA has gotten a lot less prevalent over the last few years and at least it seems like they're trying to run things a bit more professionally nowadays. (and yes I have been annoyed by the laissez-faire attitude of the event in the past as well)

I don't personally care if you watch it so I'm not super inclined to spend a bunch of time cross-referencing 3+ year old tweets about speedrunning ban drama against the GDQ ban list for the sake of trying to convince someone else not to watch ESA, Punchy's was the thing that solidified it for me but it was an ongoing distasteful thing for years prior ever since they started trying to really capitalize on the "GDQ is No Fun Anymore Pepehands" crowd

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

since they started trying to really capitalize on the "GDQ is No Fun Anymore Pepehands" crowd

I thought that was NASA

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought that was NASA

NASA was more "*** THE (slur of choice)S 1488 1488 1488" I think

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ElegantFugue posted:

NASA was more "*** THE (slur of choice)S 1488 1488 1488" I think

weird thing to say. nasa is cool

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

heehee posted:

weird thing to say. nasa is cool

NASA is coolest when it's in outer space, NASA should go there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

NASA is coolest when it's in outer space, NASA should go there.
But OP, outer space isn't very thermally conductive???

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

among other things, "complaining about chuds is a bannable offense"

https://twitter.com/succinct_punchy/status/1283095229155991553?s=21

but more broadly, they've got a habit of trying to be the "cooler edgier funnner gdq" and just pull in people who've been banned from GDQ for Good Reasons which is kind of reason enough to pass on them imo

having watched punchy stream it's amazing being able to read that in his voice

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Still in awe at how terrible that letter is

If you want to put on multiple high-profile events every year, you can't be this loving bad at communication, the message they sent is that if you speak up about toxic people forcing ESA to actually do something and publically ban them, you will also be labeled a toxic people and banned, but silently.

That was pretty much the final straw for me, but it was also underlined by that after the banning of Punchy, ESA indicated that the ban on the chuds wasn't indefinite.

The early ESAs were honestly great fun, but they started getting hella hubris somewhere around... I want to say 2016, but that's more a vague feeling than a definite event I can point to.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
*reads thread*

when's RPG limit break coming back?

mctesticle
Sep 28, 2004
Oct 16-22, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RTA in Japan is in a few weeks too, hoping there will be some english commentary restreams this time too. Also Punchy will be running English of the Dead, which should be a good time.

https://horaro.org/rtaij/rtaijs2022

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

mctesticle posted:

Oct 16-22, 2022

TeaJay posted:

RTA in Japan is in a few weeks too, hoping there will be some english commentary restreams this time too. Also Punchy will be running English of the Dead, which should be a good time.

hell yea, ty

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

saw a handsome man with an SGDQ 2016 tshirt in my local co-op, truly anything is possible

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Very interesting schedule with a little bit of everything. VVVVVV seems like a game that should have been optimized years ago, so i wonder what the run looks like. Not gonna watch though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
VVVVVV is a great game. Veni vidi vici is still a string of wonderful precision that feels so good to nail

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All time banger soundtrack too.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

All time banger soundtrack too.

easily one of the best osts in gaming imo

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't really like playing VVVVVV but it's fun to watch people who are really good at it do their thing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't really like playing VVVVVV but it's fun to watch people who are really good at it do their thing.

Sounds like they got it down to a science, though im not gonna watch to confirm.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the worst part of ESA is that they still use loving dollars when this is supposed to be an european event.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
greensuigi just got a 14:43.5 in 16 star, one of the most incredible runs ive ever seen

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ulvir posted:

the worst part of ESA is that they still use loving dollars when this is supposed to be an european event.
It's held in Sweden, which doesn't have the Euro because they've been dragging their feet on the replacement for the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (called ERM II, inventively enough), despite being obliged to use the Euro, because they weren't smart enough to negotiate an opt-in like Denmark.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

heehee posted:

greensuigi just got a 14:43.5 in 16 star, one of the most incredible runs ive ever seen

link to vod? sounds sick

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's held in Sweden, which doesn't have the Euro because they've been dragging their feet on the replacement for the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (called ERM II, inventively enough), despite being obliged to use the Euro, because they weren't smart enough to negotiate an opt-in like Denmark.

this still doesn't explain them defaulting to dollars over euros or even swedish kroner.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

quote:

https://www.bigtechday.com/en/talks#1MaWqPZBTN4P2Z6rxOQ8gC
Speedrunning Video Games as a Gateway to Scientific Endeavours
Speedrunning is the act of completing a video game as quickly as possible. Highly skilled speedrunners zip through levels at inhuman speeds, sometimes warping straight to the end credits. They set world records for millions of enthusiasts to watch in awe. But how does this black magic come to be? Behind the scenes, an entire community works together to discover new glitches and to further the understanding of these beloved games using a surprisingly scientific process of reverse engineering. In fact, science and video games become one and the same when trying to answer the ultimate question: what is the perfect speedrun?

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'd like to watch that. Do you know if they'll put a recording on youtube or something?
The talk is now up (and it might be reposted on Bismuth's channel later on):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlabDCUmoTk

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

dirby posted:

bismuth talking about sm64 tech is always a treat, will absolutely not watch it though

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ulvir posted:

this still doesn't explain them defaulting to dollars over euros or even swedish kroner.
For better or worse, most people know roughly what the US dollar is worth - so irrespective of where most of the viewership comes from, it's an easy currency to convert to local units.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

For better or worse, most people know roughly what the US dollar is worth - so irrespective of where most of the viewership comes from, it's an easy currency to convert to local units.

USD and Euro are almost 1-1 right now.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

show me any european that don’t have a rough idea of what one euro is worth, though

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyway not to spam a games thread with this, the dark souls run on ESA was pretty entertaining.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dirby posted:

Thanks for sharing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ulvir posted:

anyway not to spam a games thread with this, the dark souls run on ESA was pretty entertaining.

That has been the way for a decade now, I think.
Watch whatever havrd runs, watch dark souls 50% of the time, shun the rest of ESA.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ulvir posted:

DS1 has been broken in such ridiculous ways its always a treat, but I'm not gonna watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

That has been the way for a decade now, I think.
Watch whatever havrd runs, watch dark souls 50% of the time, shun the rest of ESA.

it was fun mostly because the runner spent over five minutes trying to find the door to sen's fortress from the odd death-cam angle lol