Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
One of the MPCs especially with the recentish synth updates and "rack" sampler QoL improvements would be a perfect companion to a hydrasynth and fits into $1k thing. You could do a lot worse for a desert island pair.
Think of all the devils you could rouse autosampling while waiting on the kettle :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a friend with a hydrasynth and if I'm honest it's VERY cool and sounds VERY good

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm going to have to completely re cut the foam for my box, I may need new foam :laugh:

Yeah I think I am sold on just getting the keyed version of this and leaning on Studio 1 on a laptop for everything else I need in the meantime, and if I end up getting something like a SP404 down the line that's fine.

poo poo, now I want to just order it on credit before I even get the OP-1 and return it. Probably a bad idea but I never said I was smart, also, BHPhoto returns seem very easy and reliable. I will probably call them before I do this, though.

One of my main use cases is just aimlessly making noises that make me feel good or moody or whatever late at night and this thing seems great for that, the filter workflows look interesting, much more intuitive than TE stuff (to be fair, this isn't a compact device so that's easier).

I'll miss the CWO bit I don't think cow is worth $1400.

Startyde posted:

One of the MPCs especially with the recentish synth updates and "rack" sampler QoL improvements would be a perfect companion to a hydrasynth and fits into $1k thing. You could do a lot worse for a desert island pair.
Think of all the devils you could rouse autosampling while waiting on the kettle :coffeepal:

Interesting, can you throw a model number or two at me to google? Sort of tempted to just get the full keyed version and then worry about buying more gear down the road, but, from reading, some people really do like the pads on the KBless version so I need to learn more about that.

Also, I should be working now, better leave this thread alone for 6-8 hours :D

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I think the little chiclets on the desktop version are velocity sensitive.

You can also convert it into an iso keyboard if that's your jam.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them - but nothing great either.

There are quite a few nice controllers out there if you still wanted to head in that direction.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them - but nothing great either.

the desktop version or the hydrasynths in general? I am 90% sold on just getting the full size one, focusing on making noises and worry about recording workflows later in life :laugh:

edit: :allears: well I am bad at not being impulsive. Got the 49 key version. I did verify my whole weird return situation with B&H first but the bottom line is it seems like they will do whatever you want in terms of refunds to different cards, sending you a check, etc. Great customer service so far, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years starting with some used photo gear and always been happy, but this is the first (and second) times I've done RMA stuff.

Looking forward to making some spaceship sounds.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 25, 2022

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the desktop version or the hydrasynths in general? I am 90% sold on just getting the full size one, focusing on making noises and worry about recording workflows later in life :laugh:

edit: :allears: well I am bad at not being impulsive. Got the 49 key version. I did verify my whole weird return situation with B&H first but the bottom line is it seems like they will do whatever you want in terms of refunds to different cards, sending you a check, etc. Great customer service so far, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years starting with some used photo gear and always been happy, but this is the first (and second) times I've done RMA stuff.

I meant the desktop unit specifically.

CONGRATS! Should be lots of fun. Enjoy the aftertouch

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hmm, now my bad brain is thinking "a lot of these things are $1000 and my return is worth $1400 which would only leave me $300 short for doing some $1k thing plus a hydrasynth". I made the mistake of watching a bunch of hydrasynth videos including a bunch with the desktop version hooked up to Eurorack stuff and it really got my gears turning.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Edit- :getin:

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 25, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Rack progress:

Got a maths sized empty spot that I can't stop thinking about

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

You do you but I'd get a O+C or something before a Maths, maybe a different slope gen (there's a lot of cheapo ones now). You have most of the bases covered, the mixer stuff is the big value added thing for most people but you already have a lot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t see a Turing machine :colbert:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

Rack progress:

Got a maths sized empty spot that I can't stop thinking about

Are you liking the niftycases? I had been thinking of a NiftyKeys, but I just blew that budget for a while. Also I am pretty sure that as soon as I start buying racks with space I'll start auctioning my body parts off for more modules.

edit: I swear some weird boutique gear maker in Russia made a Phenazepam inspired and named module at one point, and now I can't find any record of that being a thing.

a mysterious cloak posted:

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Edit- :getin:

I had mentioned this on my own little discord server but then bought it before I got many replies. I should not be surprised that when one of our two biggest synth nerds did reply it was with "I have one and I loving love it, congrats".

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 25, 2022

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

i replaced my maths with an intellijel quadrax+ triplatt combo but i still find myself missing some of the things maths could do, especially the EOC / EOR gates and ezpz voltage controllable slew. not enough to go back though, mind you, but food for thought

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Okay so I want to do a long form generative thing, but how would I set it up in Bitwig to play samples and or pitch quantized notes at varying and fairly long intervals?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 25, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

JamesKPolk posted:

You do you but I'd get a O+C or something before a Maths, maybe a different slope gen (there's a lot of cheapo ones now). You have most of the bases covered, the mixer stuff is the big value added thing for most people but you already have a lot

Mr. Sharps posted:

i replaced my maths with an intellijel quadrax+ triplatt combo but i still find myself missing some of the things maths could do, especially the EOC / EOR gates and ezpz voltage controllable slew. not enough to go back though, mind you, but food for thought

Huh, had no idea you could make a eurorack without maths. Will have to research more before I make a purchase. Thanks for your perspectives :)

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t see a Turing machine :colbert:

I am weak and noobish, missing all sorts of important things. I am considering disting though and that has a shift register mode that is similar to a turing machine if reddit is to be trusted.

Are you liking the niftycases? I had been thinking of a NiftyKeys, but I just blew that budget for a while. Also I am pretty sure that as soon as I start buying racks with space I'll start auctioning my body parts off for more modules.

I was initially really scared of getting them because the reviews on amazon are abysmal and there are youtube videos demonstrating rail misalignment. I bought two of them discounted, open box, and miraculously haven't had any problems. Biggest complaints are that the power strip inside is kind of sloppily installed and assembling the big ears was a huge pain in the rear end.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

If any of y’all are looking to move up to a 9U, I have a Pittsburgh EP-360 burning a hole in my closet.

Hit me up if you’re interested. Also have a handful of modules I’m selling.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ornament and Crimes is cool and good. It can do many things. I would get one before Maths.

I built mine (3x) using kits from pushermanproductions.com and I use it in every patch as the sequencer for my melody or bassline.

Other people are addicted to it's weird oscillator.

Still others are addicted to the many utility options of Hemispheres.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CatBlack posted:

Huh, had no idea you could make a eurorack without maths. Will have to research more before I make a purchase.

Slope generators are useful as hell, but they're not strictly necessary. Maths is simply the most popular of them, to the point of it being a eurorack cliche (along with MI Rings and Clouds). If you don't like Make Noise's panels (like me) and have another source of attenuverters, the Befaco Rampage is a great alternative, especially if you're into DIY.

If you're getting Maths primarily for envelopes or LFOs, Ornament & Crime might actually be a better option since it has its Piqued mode, which gives you four envelopes, and has all its other modes as well. It's one of the few modules I really want more than one of, since I use Harrington 1200, Quantermain, and Viznutcracker all the time. And like others have said, if you want simpler utilities the Hemispheres firmware for it is really good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stop making me want a rack dammit.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pollyanna posted:

Stop making me want a rack dammit.

we all follow wendy’s steps one way or another

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's been a bit so I guess I get to ask about vocaloids now. I was hoping I could yoink some free vocaloid, knowing nothing about them, to do a take on If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough in a high-pitched kawaii thing. I don't really know anything about them though and I suck. Is this just not a thing unless I want to pay a lot of money to be really stupid?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

watho posted:

we all follow wendy’s steps one way or another

Honestly I think I’m too spoiled by VCV Rack. One of the core components of my patches is a 16x16 switch mixer, and it’s WAY too good to give up by going hardware and shelling out for physical one. Oh, and if I go hardware, I have to get a looper. That’s a lot of dough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you buy an FH-2 and do all your sequencing and complex LFO's in VCV where you have no physical constraints, and pipe it into physical gear where you get all the tactile goodness!

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
My Micro Ornament and Crime is on the way. This is why you should not buy a eurorack.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CatBlack posted:

My Micro Ornament and Crime is on the way. This is why you should not buy a eurorack.

:lol: :sickos:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Here's tonight's spaghetti

https://soundcloud.com/lotsofmods/mod24

https://soundcloud.com/lotsofmods/mod25

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's been a bit so I guess I get to ask about vocaloids now. I was hoping I could yoink some free vocaloid, knowing nothing about them, to do a take on If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough in a high-pitched kawaii thing. I don't really know anything about them though and I suck. Is this just not a thing unless I want to pay a lot of money to be really stupid?

Plogue Alter/Ego has Marie Ork, Bones and maybe another one which I think are free? I have played with them a bit. I played with UTAU a bit too but it defaults to Japanese and I think all the support is in Japanese too.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Plogue's chipspeech is worth the price of admission if you want to pick up something TTS but with more direct utility than the vocaloids. It's also like half the price at $90 iirc.

Interesting, can you throw a model number or two at me to google? Sort of tempted to just get the full keyed version and then worry about buying more gear down the road, but, from reading, some people really do like the pads on the KBless version so I need to learn more about that.

One / Live I&II / X / Force (sort of)
They've got a unified OS, Force' UI is more directly inspired by Live's clip launch page rather than traditional MPC-kin but there's since been cross pollination in big OS updates. At the end of the day even the cheapest One or a used Live I has the same functionality in software, more or less.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

a mysterious cloak posted:

Okay so I want to do a long form generative thing, but how would I set it up in Bitwig to play samples and or pitch quantized notes at varying and fairly long intervals?

Both are pretty easy in the grid.

You can use the phase scaler to generate gate signals that are fractions or multiples of the master tempo / clock and feed those right into the sampler to trigger your samples. For quantized notes you can do a few things. If you want to stay in the grid you can use the same phase scaler idea along with an oscillator of your choice. For pitch you can just use a random value fed into the pitch quantizer as a starting point. If you want to use vsts to 'play' your notes, you could do a note out from the grid and have the vst next in the chain. There's also a key filter device for outside of the grid, too.

Polarity on youtube has a ton of ambient examples and I always learn some new technique from his stuff.

EDIT: here's a little subset of one of my patches

havelock fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 26, 2022

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Congrats, Hydrasynth is amazing, from the very first preset on down. I've written a lot in this thread about how much it owns and my opinion of it has only grown with time. The only thing i'd ever trade it out for in my setup would be the Hydrasynth Deluxe because it would be sick to have a split in there.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Always wanted to date a synth named Deluxe

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I still want the dang wave state se

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still want an Opsix.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I still want to try to get myself arsed to learn Bitwig.

e: also want to learn the VST Wavestate/Opsix, and piano, and guitar, and some of the modes of the Disting Ex actually make some goddamn music and too many goddamn things and choice paralysis ensures I do none of that

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 26, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Feel like the Volca Modular doesn't get much love but it looks interesting and an attainable way of getting a mini Buchla thing. I think I want one!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thought this was interesting and just wanted to share here, but was recently down in Asheville and hit up the Moog factory while I was in town. They normally do tours, but that was suspended that with Covid and they're just doing presentations in the store. Still an awesome place to check out and play with all their gear!

Couldn't do more than poke my head in the door, but here's where Moogs are born :3:

Unfortunately now I want a Mother 32 or Subharmicon... it's probably an acute GAS attack, but looks like I can get a Sound Studio 3 (sans the mixer and cables) for 2/3 the price of new and I'm paralyzed by indecision

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have a mother 32 and a sub25 and they both gently caress extremely hard, the m32 in particular is wildly versatile for being a single oscillator in a single path since it has the patch bay and a sequencer. I would love to pick up a matriarch one day but I have neither the space nor funds for *another* synth right now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went there a couple months ago and fell in love with the Sub25.

It’s a dangerous place, had to buy something so I got these boys.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

net work error posted:

Feel like the Volca Modular doesn't get much love but it looks interesting and an attainable way of getting a mini Buchla thing. I think I want one!
I enjoyed mine so much, I got a second one. They play well with the bastl kastle too.https://youtu.be/kWyF1B59Vsc

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 26, 2022

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I went there a couple months ago and fell in love with the Sub25.

It’s a dangerous place, had to buy something so I got these boys.

Oh man, those are :krad:

I was *this* close to impulse buying a Claravox theremin because I know the second I seriously want one they'll be gone forever, and what a freaking gorgeous instrument to miss out on. I know I'd never actually learn to play it very well, but man, how freaking neat would it be to feed that through a modular setup

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have a mother 32 and a sub25 and they both gently caress extremely hard, the m32 in particular is wildly versatile for being a single oscillator in a single path since it has the patch bay and a sequencer. I would love to pick up a matriarch one day but I have neither the space nor funds for *another* synth right now.

Oh man, I feel that... I made the mistake of playing a few chords on the Moog One and was completely floored by the cascading crescendo of sounds that came out... but that's a hill I don't think I can ever climb :ohdear:

That being said, a little bit of peer pressure was apparently all I needed to justify a used Sound Studio 3! So much for the Werkstatt being able to fill that Moog shaped hole in my heart forever... if anything, the werkstatt just made it bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I ever go back I’m going to impulse a Sub25.

B33rChiller posted:

I enjoyed mine so much, I got a second one. They play well with the bastl kastle too.https://youtu.be/kWyF1B59Vsc

Seeing you make something out of these made my night. Beep on, beep man.