Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
sent in $996 in bids, let's see if the Denver Nuggets get a single player this time!

As far as yesterday I think the deals on Draymond, Middleton, and Jalen Green were really good. 1/8th of the cap for a great starter in Draymond is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm rping the Warriors

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kingcobweb posted:

sent in $996 in bids, let's see if the Denver Nuggets get a single player this time!

As far as yesterday I think the deals on Draymond, Middleton, and Jalen Green were really good. 1/8th of the cap for a great starter in Draymond is crazy.

Sims tend to not appreciate him I think. That was my basis for not bidding.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't bid on Dray because I don't like him

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I didnt bid on Draymond because he isnt very good anymore

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I bid $1 on Dray but no one got to see it. My $69 for Huerter did show up though so that was nice.

The San Antonio Spurs have sent in their bids for Day 2. Far fewer sarcastic bids, unfortunately.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I didn't bid on Draymond because he does not align with our team culture, also because gently caress Draymond

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

THE NINTH "Ninth" LAYER, General Manager of the Milwaukee Bucks: Hi everyone. Good afternoon. Thanks for being here. Working hard or hardly working, eh? Haha. Okay, let's get right to it so we can get you out of here quick. Not sure why the AC isn't working in here, uh, yeah. Okay, who's first?

You've been on the job for two days now. What can you tell the fans about yourself and your vision for the future of this team?

NINTH: You know, it's a funny story how I ended up here. I was getting ready to watch some boxing on Saturday night, and happened to see my friend [Commissioner of the NBA Deadbeat Dad] in the news talking about how the Bucks don't have a general manager going into the new season and would anyone be interested. Well, I owed him a favor or two and figured I could cross one off, so I gave him a call and, well, here we are. [laughs]

Uh, as to my vision for the team? Look, we all know the Bucks are a championship team. Our winning culture, superb coaching staff and front office operations give us an edge that quite frankly no other team in the league can match. It's these things that brought us the championship in 2021and made us strong contenders in 2022. I fully envision that momentum continuing into 2023 and onward. We've had some recent issues and there's a lot of work to do before the next season, but having such an excellent organization behind me makes the hard parts easy. Next question.

There were championship expectations set for 2022 that the team fell well short of meeting. Can you speak on what went wrong last year?

NINTH: Now, I wasn't around last year and so I don't want to say anything too negative about the efforts made by people up and down the Bucks org to bring back the repeat. Of course, sometimes things just happen or you get unlucky. Happens to everyone. But, uh, I think everyone knows that to achieve success you need everyone committed. And maybe there were some people here las year, who aren't here now, that weren't so committed to that, that maybe wanted to put themselves first ahead of the team. Bucks culture is what wins us championships, not people with egos bigger than their heads. Those guys are welcome to try winning elsewhere, and good luck to them, because we've got the secret sauce.

Some fans have criticized what they feel is a lack of effort in your team's Day 1 moves. What would you like to say to them about your day 1 efforts?

NINTH: I'm a little surprised by this question, to be honest. Are you sure you're talking to Bucks fans? All the feedback I've heard has been glowing, there's a lot of buzz around the acquisition of our new star Brandon Williams. I've heard people in the org throwing around phrases like future star and hidden gem, and I even heard a fellow GM describe him as "good for a few assists." Frankly, we're over the moon that we were able to acquire such a talent. Internally we see Brandon as the cornerstone of our next championship push, and our team will be aggressively making moves to find the right pieces to surround him with.

Overall I'm really proud of our day 1 achievements, and I'm thrilled to see such an outpour of support and optimism from the fans. And can I just take a little victory lap on the price we got him for? I had a great call with the team owners this morning and they couldn't stop gushing about how much money we didn't spend, and that with 14 more guys like that we could even have money left over. So yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about where we're at now. Heck, half the teams in the league don't even have a roster yet, if the season was held today then we're already in the playoffs. I think that's a really good start.

Can you speak a little on what went wrong in your negotiations to secure Khris and Giannis to another year of—

NINTH: I'm sorry. Who?

Three-time All-Star Khris Middleton? Two-time league MVP Giannis Antentokoump?

NINTH: Oh, uh, those guys. [laughs] Yeah, uh, this kinda goes back to what I was saying earlier. Some guys in this league, you get them when they're raw clay, basically nobodies with no future. And you give them to a master clay sculptor, and you bake them for a few years in a winning culture, and you spend tons of money selling their appeal to the public. Of course you're gonna have a successful product from that. But, you know, some guys just see the success at the end and think it's the clay. Or whatever.

Look, those guys you named, before they came here people had never heard of them, they were total nobodies. Hell, until two days ago I hadn't heard of them either. The only reason you know their names today is because we turned them into champions. Bucks culture did that. And for those guys to turn around and start making demands of us, asking us to put their own self ahead of our team, ahead of our winning formula? Yeah, sorry, that's not gonna happen. And we tried our best to make them happy, we really did, but there's limit to where it just gets unreasonable. This one guy, I can't even pronounce his name, but he actually demanded that we give his brother a roster spot, we're talking someone who struggles even to say the word basketball, and forget about throwing one. And the team, before I got here, they actually did that for him. And so we had his brother on the team and he still wanted $700 to play for us. Do you know how much extra money it costs the team just to make jerseys wide enough to fit that alphabet soup of a last name?

The reality is not everybody has the same vision we do. Not everyone is willing to make the sacrifices required for success. We told those guys, point blank, the next era of Bucks basketball revolves around Brandon Williams, and either you're on board with that or you're not. And if you're not, then the best of luck to you in your future endeavors, and boy are you gonna need it because you sure as heck aren't going to have the Bucks coaching and scouting and front office magic to carry you through. And you know what, I still think those guys are gonna be successful in their NBA careers, because after all we built them into winners, they're still products of our winning Bucks formula. I just feel bad because they're gonna miss out on a couple of new rings over the next couple years.

How have you been handling the criticism surrounding your hire, especially concerns expressed about your complete and utter lack of basketball knowledge or experience?

NINTH: You've got a lot of freaking nerve to ask me a question like that, here in my own building, you know that? A lot of guys, they wouldn't still be standing here after a question like that, they'd be coming down and giving you a more direct answer. I didn't fu—, uh, I didn't get to where I am by accident or luck, I worked my butt off to get to where I am. You think it's so easy, well I don't see you paying $10 several years ago to a pretty awful guy, just so you could post on a forum. I don't see you PMing [NBA Commissioner] Deadbeat offering to help him out of the goodness of your heart. But yeah, come back to me when you've figured out a way to secure a future superstar like Brandon Williams to a contract for three tenths of a percent of your salary cap. You know what? Get this guy out of here. I don't want to see him again. Get him loving out of here. Uh, freaking out of here. Sorry.

Now that the player list for Day 2 has been revealed, what can you tell us about the moves your team will be making?

NINTH: We're looking at a few moves and consulting Brandon on every decision, and, uh. Um. You know what? This press conference is over. I think we're done here. Yeah. No more questions.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 25, 2022

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sims tend to not appreciate him I think. That was my basis for not bidding.

BBGM gives him the highest "passing" score in the league, tied with CP3.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: I may need a replacement for Dejan if I don't hear from him by tonight. :siren: First come, first serve to whoever quotes this but I won't know until about 7. I messaged G-Hawk since he was the first post a few days ago to inquire about getting in but also haven't heard back from him... will need to move forward in case neither are around. Maybe some co-GM situation moving forward if he (G-Hawk) sees it while someone claims the spot.

Either way, I'm still giving Dejan until 7. So if you quote this and want in, send me a PM of your bids for today and I'll add it in only if Dejan doesn't respond in the next 3 hours.

Thanks!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tbf I didn't really want to win Dray

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:siren: I may need a replacement for Dejan if I don't hear from him by tonight. :siren: First come, first serve to whoever quotes this but I won't know until about 7. I messaged G-Hawk since he was the first post a few days ago to inquire about getting in but also haven't heard back from him... will need to move forward in case neither are around. Maybe some co-GM situation moving forward if he (G-Hawk) sees it while someone claims the spot.

Either way, I'm still giving Dejan until 7. So if you quote this and want in, send me a PM of your bids for today and I'll add it in only if Dejan doesn't respond in the next 3 hours.

Thanks!
I'll replace in if you've got to move on without them. I wasn't sure about signing bakc up initially but did feel some fomo

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

I'll replace in if you've got to move on without them. I wasn't sure about signing bakc up initially but did feel some fomo

Thanks! Yeah, if you can by 7:30 PM (so in the next 2 hours, whenever), message a list of the Day 2 players you'd like to bid on, I'll use it if Dejan doesn't show up again.

Appreciated!

Also waiting only on two more bids, Deimos and Drunk Canuck, but I think Deimos will be able to in the next few hours and I trust the Canuck

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 25, 2022

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
yeah he can have it. I have a bit more to do than i expected

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Dejan Bimble posted:

yeah he can have it. I have a bit more to do than i expected

No worries! I hope you stick around to check out the teams at the end, always love the Bimble mind of basketball

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Eric Paschall for $10.

(The next closest bid was $5.)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Jarrett Culver for $2.

(The next highest bid was $1.)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Trey Murphy III for $5.

(The next highest bid was $3.)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Jamal Murray for $340.

(The next highest bid was $215.)

Come to me, my disciples

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
All bids are in. Tallying up wins. See you guys at 8 PM EST!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Drunk Canuck posted:

Come to me, my disciples

Gonna be honest Eric Paschall for $10 is actually not a bad deal (it me, the guy who bid $5 for him)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Day 2 bids have been calculated and we will begin yet another day of won players!

Starting with the undrafted guys. These players cannot be picked up until the last few days of the bids which will be a first come, first serve sort of thing. I will announce when it's possible.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Too many of you are cowards.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I made like 2 bids I sincerely would like to get and a bunch that if I make them I’ll be like “cool”

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Keljin Blevins has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DC Murderverse posted:

I made like 2 bids I sincerely would like to get and a bunch that if I make them I’ll be like “cool”

hell, same

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Carsen Edwards has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Isaiah Todd has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Vít Krejčí has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
That's all the undrafted guys, will move on to won bids momentarily!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Quinndary Weatherspoon for $2.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

You’re telling me someone bid on Dalano Blanton, a series of syllables I’m pretty sure you made up on the spot

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Naji Marshall for $2.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can respect spending an extra dollar to fill out the end of your bench with top level name guys

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Denver Nuggets (kingcobweb) have signed Dalano Banton for $52.

(The next highest bid was $20.)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That seems like a lot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Excuse me?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Milwaukee Bucks (The Ninth Layer) have signed Jack White for $2.

(This was won in a coin toss bid.)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think it's weirder that a second guy bid $20 for "Dalano Banton"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

xbilkis posted:

was just going to post this.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm a big fan of 6mans Banton but even I didn't bid on him cus I just scanned past all the letters.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I googled him and he’s a raptors g-leaguer, does this mean that the market is weighted heavily towards raptors players? Is Fred Van Vleet gonna be bid up higher than Chris Paul or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

xbilkis posted:

No I'm not