Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
HBO keeping up with the times by having the home box office be so cynically stuffed with ads that you lose interest in what you were going to watch by the time it comes on, just like the real movies!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm using a friend's account to gradually watch Doom Patrol right now and I can't loving believe the audacity HBO has with the commercial breaks. 5 commercial breaks in a 50-minute show, on an app you apparently pay for? I can't imagine willingly paying for that

It's impossible to watch without an adblocker on a computer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Season one was good.
Season two wasn't.
Season 3 sucked.
Season 4 is good again
Season five was supposed to be the last one.
Their problem with s2 and 3 is that they sold to HBO s1, and they wanted to tell the stories of s4/5 and JJ made them mysterybox everything do there's this awkward transition period that everyone hates that's literally going to be half the show.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You used to be able to block the ads via pihole or something like that but that doesn't seem to work anymore. :(

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I bounced off westworld s4 e1 because I assumed itd be exactly as bad as s2 and 3, is it worth watching again?

Love the setting and the overall production is fantastic but the writing, man....

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

Season 1 was pretty good but they had no idea what to do with it after that. I never tried watching another one but it looks like a bunch of people gave S2 a chance, regretted it, and did not repeat their mistake

ive watched everything up until s4, idk i guess i might as well see it. but yes s2 wasn't good and s3 could have been good but it needed a) aaron paul delenda del est, b) lovely writing delenda del est

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

They became convinced the only way to write a show that people will think is good is if you make the framing device so intentionally confusing that no one will be able to guess the plot twist ahead of time.
this new vein of tv writers and this shtick is insanely toxic and stupid. oh no what if redditors guess our twist??? that'd be BAD!! who loving cares. the always upping-the-antic to r-word levels of convolution just to prevent that makes for real garbage rear end tv.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oh, that would make sense. I think Hulu is the same way, or at least was for a while.

it’s all ads at the end of the day. the wire is mostly product placement for Verizon phone booths and Burger King.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's impossible to watch without an adblocker on a computer.

:qq:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bring back this era of American Television

https://twitter.com/Carlists4Pete/status/1551318984296906752?s=20&t=oJUDK1qbkZ4YLxt8hqMmaw

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Before they started the nazis vs viet cong ep (and none of the other ones) they had a cold open on the hosts explaining that by making a nazi fight a viet cong on the computer, we would be able to understand and neutralize the evil inside the human heart. It pwned

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Season 4 of Westworld is good, I'm just waiting for it to let me down

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the secret of westworld is that the writing has always been poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's nothing worse in our new golden age of prestige tv than all the cliffhangers. Cliffhangers are disrespectful to your audience

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I'm using a friend's account to gradually watch Doom Patrol right now and I can't loving believe the audacity HBO has with the commercial breaks. 5 commercial breaks in a 50-minute show, on an app you apparently pay for? I can't imagine willingly paying for that

What?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I didn't know there was an ads option for hbo max. It wasn't a thing when I sibscribed.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
dunno what everyone is talking about with westworld season 4 being good because imo it's very bad.

- the acting continues to be terrible, although to be fair the actors aren't exactly getting tennesee williams-level material. aaron paul sometimes tries on a sort of christian bale batman voice which is very laughable. everybody loves thandiwe newton but she doesn't really get a chance to do anything but make action movie quips any more. ed harris looks like the cryptkeeper. tessa thompson is plodding her way through terrible mustache-twirling villain lines.

- jeffrey wright is able to predict the future (in a way that doesn't really make any sense), so now he's using every cliched line that's ever been used in a seeing-the-future sci fi flick

- the whole robot mind control plot is very silly and doesn't really make any sense, although it is kind of funny that they've simply reversed the global situation between humans and robots. the whole thing is basically a joker meme going "what if humans were like robots and robots were the human society? makes u think." they basically skip over all of the interesting bits of worldbuilding in a big time skip. the whole setup with human society secretly being controlled by robots except for a small gang of rebels who free individual humans one at a time is such a ripoff of the matrix that it honestly verges on plagiarism

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Aglet56 posted:

ed harris looks like the cryptkeeper.

This sounds good!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's nothing worse in our new golden age of prestige tv than all the cliffhangers. Cliffhangers are disrespectful to your audience
i mean you need to make money and cliffhangers work, but it's when it's setting up obnoxious mystery busyboxes constantly and then making the story all about convoluted mysteryboxes, and always upping the ante on lovely mysteryboxes because how dare we leave enough crumbs for people to realize it themselves utrying to make non-stop :tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv: moments and nothing else that it sucks poo poo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Severance was pretty good because at least the character-side was interesting and mysterybox wasn't the #1 goal of the show. that doesnt mean that level of quality will persist but, well, it's a lot better than most shows

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

let the dead rest you monsters

his franchise alone would have been bigger than all of them, it's really dumb he died. Oh well, more Game of Thrones

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i watched AMBULANCE last night and it ruled (though should have been about 30 minutes shorter), love jake gyllenhaal in maniac mode recently

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

love jake gyllenhaal in maniac mode recently

Now take 80 mg of edibles and watch Nightcrawler alone in a dark room

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nightcrawler is on netflix

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I think good resolution on netflix costs extra? I gave them up with all of the recent price increases, and terrible content.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Now take 80 mg of edibles and watch Nightcrawler alone in a dark room

saw it in the theater when it came out, might be good to re watch sometime

he was so good in the (underappreciated!) OKJA too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78vVQQROWXU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol wtf I completely missed this era of looney tunes

https://twitter.com/RawTVMoments/status/1551398827952930816

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

watching Dollman vs Demonic Toys and furious to learn it's also a sequel to Bad Channels which I haven't seen yet :mad:

I get why Dollman vs Demonic Toys vs Bad Channels would be clumsy to fit on a VHS box but come the gently caress on Full Moon some of us like to be thorough

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

:wtc:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
reading into the comments, apparently bugs lied about moving lola bunny's apartment to get out of something with Porky, so Daffy joins the Marines to have a place to sleep and Bugs' web of lies lands him in an Albanian prison

:wtc: indeed

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

saw it in the theater when it came out, might be good to re watch sometime

he was so good in the (underappreciated!) OKJA too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78vVQQROWXU

lmao if jake gyllenhaal is just pilfering comics and podcasters for his characters. first brace belden, then nick mullen for nightcrawler, and ian fidance for okja.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

papa horny michael posted:

lmao if jake gyllenhaal is just pilfering comics and podcasters for his characters. first brace belden, then nick mullen for nightcrawler, and ian fidance for okja.

:eyepop:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i watched AMBULANCE last night and it ruled (though should have been about 30 minutes shorter), love jake gyllenhaal in maniac mode recently

I love how angry he gets when people tell him that his brother is a fake brother.

I also love that AmbuLAnce takes place in a world where people think adoption is a completely ludicrous idea.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bugs lied about moving lola bunny's apartment

moving a printer to lola bunny’s apartment

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But HBO won't let Elmer Fudd have his shotgun because it's offensive -_-

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

to touch back on Dollman vs Demonic Toys briefly, it really ended up being a perfect encapsulation of Full Moon's strengths and weaknesses - on one hand, the latex, makeup, costumes, stop motion, set design and model work were all fabulous, absolutely top marks all around, but on the other hand it was horribly paced, there was barely any connective tissue between anything, the entire runtime was an hour and if you remove the front and back credits and the clips of other movies it's maybe forty five minutes of original footage

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

But HBO won't let Elmer Fudd have his shotgun because it's offensive -_-

I watched the episode. He does dynamite fishing instead. Good to see the old termite terrace spirit still going.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

reading into the comments, apparently bugs lied about moving lola bunny's apartment to get out of something with Porky, so Daffy joins the Marines to have a place to sleep and Bugs' web of lies lands him in an Albanian prison

:wtc: indeed

honestly sounds like fun farce

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Cliffhangers are fine when they're done well and used sparingly. The Best of Both Worlds in The Next Generation, for example. Doing them every season and mid-season break though, yeah it's overkill.

The trend I'm seeing lately is to make every single episode a cliffhanger, especially with streaming TV. Stranger Things or Raised by Wolves are recent offenders. The overall narrative suffers when nothing is wrapped up in hours-upon-hours of storytelling, and any catharsis or resolution is withheld from the viewer. All so you can generate buzzworthy moments.

DarkLich has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Jul 25, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

RandolphCarter posted:

honestly sounds like fun farce

The new looney tunes cartoons are mostly full of gags in 5 minutes. Despite all their fuckups WB still making good cartoons and not three hundred cartoons for kids aimed at adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

The new looney tunes cartoons are mostly full of gags in 5 minutes. Despite all their fuckups WB still making good cartoons and not three hundred cartoons for kids aimed at adults.

Disney have been producing a ton of old style caetoons since 2013 and they are also good. Check out Mkckey Mouse (2013-2019) and Wonderful World of Mickey (2020-present). The grandkid loves them.

I think those and the new Looney Toons are pretty good.