Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Christ almighty leash your goddam dogs and stop this idiotic slapfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Any recommendations for places to visit in Utah/eastern/southern Colorado in November?

We have a few days before we have to be in Moab, and we’re trying to find another interesting place to visit and hike. We’ll be coming from Denver, so hoping to stay in the south/east part of Utah. We’ve been to Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches, Mesa Verde, Canyon of the Ancients, and Canyonlands. Our kids are obsessed with cliff dwellings and slot canyons, so those are a plus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Peek-a-boo slot Canyon
https://goo.gl/maps/i9Rk93BJn6AqpczG6

Spooky Slot Canyon and Peek a Boo Canyon right next to each other were so fun. If your kids like slot canyons they’d love those. Its in the middle of nowhere and a solid day trip but I believe there are camping opportunities around.

Bryce of course is always good and goblin valley state park is neat.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 22, 2022

newts
Oct 10, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Peek-a-boo slot Canyon
https://goo.gl/maps/i9Rk93BJn6AqpczG6

Spooky Slot Canyon and Peek a Boo Canyon right next to each other were so fun. If your kids like slot canyons they’d love those. Its in the middle of nowhere and a solid day trip but I believe there are camping opportunities around.

Bryce of course is always good and goblin state park is neat.

Awesome! Thanks. They look fun!

I forgot to mention we’ve been to Bryce a couple of times. Were also considering Goblin Valley, but I wasn’t sure if there would be enough to do there for two days.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

newts posted:

Any recommendations for places to visit in Utah/eastern/southern Colorado in November?

We have a few days before we have to be in Moab, and we’re trying to find another interesting place to visit and hike. We’ll be coming from Denver, so hoping to stay in the south/east part of Utah. We’ve been to Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches, Mesa Verde, Canyon of the Ancients, and Canyonlands. Our kids are obsessed with cliff dwellings and slot canyons, so those are a plus.

Have you been to Little Wild Horse & Bell canyons (or some of the other ones near Goblin Valley in the San Rafael Swell)? Those are some really nice and long but easy and nontechnical slot canyons, the trailhead is about 90 min west of Moab and there are campsites nearby. It feels like most of the 8 mi loop (if you do the whole thing) is inside slot canyons. I'd definitely recommend it near the top of my list.

Edit: The trailhead is accessible by any vehicle, IIRC. I think it was all paved or well maintained gravel roads. Can't say the same about Peak-a-boo (but I went there in winter and it was very muddy).

Morbus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 22, 2022

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Morbus posted:

Have you been to Little Wild Horse & Bell canyons (or some of the other ones near Goblin Valley in the San Rafael Swell)? Those are some really nice and long but easy and nontechnical slot canyons, the trailhead is about 90 min west of Moab and there are campsites nearby. It feels like most of the 8 mi loop (if you do the whole thing) is inside slot canyons. I'd definitely recommend it near the top of my list.

Edit: The trailhead is accessible by any vehicle, IIRC. I think it was all paved or well maintained gravel roads. Can't say the same about Peak-a-boo (but I went there in winter and it was very muddy).

Have not been there. Those look awesome, too! Thanks. Roads don’t look bad. Now we’ll have to make a decision…

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Here's a recent trip to the Chic Chocs. Curious if there are any other Quebec goons in here?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've got an REI $20 bonus card and I'm looking to get a new sleeping bag after a very long time, so I've got no idea what's good these days. This bag will get the most use in PNW fall weather potentially up in 7K elevation areas, historically looks like the lows get to the teens for that time. What about a bag like so?

https://www.rei.com/product/187507/kelty-cosmic-20-sleeping-bag-mens

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cosmic Down 20 is probably best budget sleeping bag out there, that would be a fine pick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’d probably add 5-10° to whatever temperature range the bag says it’s good for, as that’s usually an aggressive/hot sleeper rating (e.g. the Cosmic says the ISO comfort rating is 32°). That said, Kelty is a solid company and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend their gear to anyone. You might also check for opinions over in the gear thread.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cosmic Down 20 is the gear thread cheap bag of choice.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks ya'll, I'll def peruse the gear thread too now :)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

newts posted:

I did several slot canyons in June and we were near this one which is quite popular and accessible:
https://www.utah.com/destinations/regions/the-holey-land/little-wild-horse-canyon/

(I did Dang and Dang Canyon which is nearby, it's a bit more technical though most of the moves have ropes set up to grab)

a bonus is that Goblin Valley State Park is nearby, and while the sand was blowing around like crazy that day I went, it was an awesome park

edit: I couldn't believe how busy Capitol Reef was when I stopped there. Like, Yosemite level crowds. wtf

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm doing a bit of mountaineering here in Valais and am staying in this beautiful hut at 2900m up on the Weissmies. The mountain straight ahead is Dom, the highest mountain entirely in Switzerland.

Looking forward to the climb tomorrow... but someone is snoring in my room! :argh:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Always wanted to go to Switzerland, everything about it looks amazing.

I'm planning a 36 mile dayhike up one of Wyoming's tallest peaks on Saturday in the Wind River Range, hoping conditions will be favorable.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I'm planning a 36 mile dayhike up one of Wyoming's tallest peaks on Saturday in the Wind River Range, hoping conditions will be favorable.

I backpacked in Cirque of the Towers last year. Wind River Range is amazing. it was early July, the mosquitos were insane in case that is a useful tip

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hotel Kpro posted:

a 36 mile dayhike up one of Wyoming's tallest peaks

:wth:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Hotel Kpro posted:

Always wanted to go to Switzerland, everything about it looks amazing.

Switzerland is beautiful in ways that don't seem real. It feels like a movie set or something. Everything is clean, on time and picturesque. I love it.

But also ....

Hotel Kpro posted:

36 mile dayhike up one of Wyoming's tallest peaks.

what the gently caress.

I went on another hike last night and realized evening hikes are way more enjoyable to me than morning hikes. Less people, easier parking, the option to stay for the sunset is a huge bonus. Plus often cooler temps.

I was wanting to hike again this weekend but had stuff going on Saturday and had a house project on Sunday. I was at home Depot at 2pm on Sunday thinking about work the next day and decided "gently caress this, I'm going hiking tonight"

I got home, grabbed my bag and headed out. It was a pretty quick and easy hike (4-5 miles and only 1200' of gain). I got to the trailhead around 6pm and there were only 4 cars. I passed a few people coming out, one duo was behind me. I was on the peak by myself for at least an hour. The entire hike out was solo. It was great.

It was amazing from start to finish. I didn't stay for the full sunset this time because there were a few sketchy areas and I didn't want to get home at 1am. I planned it so that it would set as I was on my way out. From the peak, I could see Baker, Rainier, Glacier peak, The Olympics, the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound, high alpine lakes, major rivers ... like 80% of what Washington state has to offer.

It feels so good to be hiking again, the back felt pretty good. Made it up in 45 minutes and down would've been about the same minus all the stopping for photos. I really enjoy solo hiking and not sure why it took so long for me to do it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 25, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Finalizing my fall trips and returning to the Grand Canyon for a weekend R2R2R. Did it in a single day last time but that was more of a personal challenge, this time I'm going to take the camera gear and camp at the north rim on night one and in the canyon on night two. It'll be late October so conditions will be all over the place, probably a good bit colder than last time which was late sept I think.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

edit: I couldn't believe how busy Capitol Reef was when I stopped there. Like, Yosemite level crowds. wtf

Yeah it’s been talked up as the “hidden gem” that “people don’t know about” but every time I’ve been through there it has been very busy. It could have been poor timing on my part, but it’s a national park that’s 3 hours away from a very famous one and two hours from another, it would be weird to expect it to not have people.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Verman posted:

Switzerland is beautiful in ways that don't seem real. It feels like a movie set or something. Everything is clean, on time and picturesque. I love it.

But also ....

what the gently caress.

I went on another hike last night and realized evening hikes are way more enjoyable to me than morning hikes. Less people, easier parking, the option to stay for the sunset is a huge bonus. Plus often cooler temps.

I was wanting to hike again this weekend but had stuff going on Saturday and had a house project on Sunday. I was at home Depot at 2pm on Sunday thinking about work the next day and decided "gently caress this, I'm going hiking tonight"

I got home, grabbed my bag and headed out. It was a pretty quick and easy hike (4-5 miles and only 1200' of gain). I got to the trailhead around 6pm and there were only 4 cars. I passed a few people coming out, one duo was behind me. I was on the peak by myself for at least an hour. The entire hike out was solo. It was great.

It was amazing from start to finish. I didn't stay for the full sunset this time because there were a few sketchy areas and I didn't want to get home at 1am. I planned it so that it would set as I was on my way out. From the peak, I could see Baker, Rainier, Glacier peak, The Olympics, the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound, high alpine lakes, major rivers ... like 80% of what Washington state has to offer.

It feels so good to be hiking again, the back felt pretty good. Made it up in 45 minutes and down would've been about the same minus all the stopping for photos. I really enjoy solo hiking and not sure why it took so long for me to do it.

Holy gently caress, you got to these views in 45 min? Where is this?

I really really need to move out west already, like if anyone is hiring finance (AP/AR collections) send that poo poo my way!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

Sauk mountain in Washington state. About 2.5 hour drive from Seattle. Maybe an 1.5 hours from Bellingham. The views literally start in the parking lot and never stop. Its a short hike for me, I typically try for hikes closer to 6-9 miles for a day hike in order to make the driving time worth it. Plus the short and beautiful hikes are almost always the most popular and super packed but I'm trying to get back into shape after an injury and figured it would be nice to get a quick hike in before sunset. It was so scenic from start to finish that it was one of the top bang-for-your-buck hikes I've been on. Even when I got back to my car, several people were just sitting at their cars watching the sunset over the South Twin. I stayed and finished my food doing the same. Nicest parking lot I've ever been to. You can literally just walk to the trailhead and have a scenic picnic there and call it a day. Its

liz posted:

I really really need to move out west already, like if anyone is hiring finance (AP/AR collections) send that poo poo my way!

Best decision I ever made. Sure the cost of living is expensive but for me its worth it for the access to the outdoors. My daily happiness is so much higher than when I lived in Chicago and I'm spending a lot less money going on trips now because I don't have to fly everywhere and take vacation days to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were all set to move out of Chicago when my wife finished her doctorate, then the world fell apart. We've had this dream of moving to a mountain area for like 10 years and it feels like it's never gonna be possible, there's always a speed bump. The new one is cost of living is just so insanely high everywhere and appears like it's the new normal.

Congrats on escaping the Midwest!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

I would love to do late night hiking except all the nearby trails with nice views are on county land, so you have to leave before sunset

Maybe that's why I feel the pull to camp more than usual.

Verman posted:

Even when I got back to my car, several people were just sitting at their cars watching the sunset over the South Twin. I stayed and finished my food doing the same. Nicest parking lot I've ever been to. You can literally just walk to the trailhead and have a scenic picnic there and call it a day.

That's actually a good idea. I should do that. Maybe I don't need an 8 mile hike to enjoy a good view.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Freaquency posted:

Yeah it’s been talked up as the “hidden gem” that “people don’t know about” but every time I’ve been through there it has been very busy. It could have been poor timing on my part, but it’s a national park that’s 3 hours away from a very famous one and two hours from another, it would be weird to expect it to not have people.

It was very spotty in terms of crowds when we were there last year (I think). Some areas were slammed and others were nearly empty.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I backpacked in Cirque of the Towers last year. Wind River Range is amazing. it was early July, the mosquitos were insane in case that is a useful tip

I was out there last year in September, trying to do the same thing I'm doing this weekend. The mosquitos I don't think were there at all but I'm used to awful amounts from hiking in the Uintas.

liz posted:

I just accepted a job to CO and poking around the jobs on the company website there seems to be a position for accounts payable supervisor, not sure if that's your thing or not.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
How's the Wind River Range in August? I'm trying to put together a longer (maybe 4-5+ days) itinerary out there in case wildfires shut down my planned hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail later in August. Was basically thinking of doing something like cutting through Idaho on my way to Wyoming from Oregon and hitting up the Sawtooths as well.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I suppose I'll let you know when I get back, I imagine it will be very nice with the occasional thunderstorm.

The Sawtooths were a range I tended to avoid when I lived in Idaho, wasn't really for me. The Pioneers and White Clouds were my favorite ranges, far fewer people as well.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Hotel Kpro posted:

I suppose I'll let you know when I get back, I imagine it will be very nice with the occasional thunderstorm.

The Sawtooths were a range I tended to avoid when I lived in Idaho, wasn't really for me. The Pioneers and White Clouds were my favorite ranges, far fewer people as well.

OK I'll need to take a look at those then, those also look excellent.

Also I got back from an 8 day trip on the Wonderland trail this past weekend, it was pretty awesome even in the snowier conditions. No bugs and no people! I'm glad I did bring an ice axe, it made the sketchy parts feel safer and made traversing snow quite a bit easier (and glissading down snowbanks actually owns a lot). I threw together a little trip report from my crappy phone pics.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

liz posted:

I really really need to move out west already

:yeah:

Love/Hate lurking this thread lol. I'm on the wrong side of the country.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

I just accepted a job to CO and poking around the jobs on the company website there seems to be a position for accounts payable supervisor, not sure if that's your thing or not.

I do not see myself as a manager type, but thanks for mentioning! Colorado seems like a great place for a base, so much hiking in all directions :allears:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

liz posted:

The State of Oregon is hiring a lot of various finance positions at different agencies. Depending which agency, remote is also possible. Great benefits too, at least in my agency!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
We did a (approximately) 3 day trip in the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness in CO, near Steamboat Springs. The ‘Zirkel Circle’ which is a 10.3 mile loop and is really a day hike for athletic people or people without kids carrying packs. Some very intense uphill stretches to reach the lakes. It was nice. A little crowded on the trails, but very few people around the lakes (the loop goes by two lakes Gilpin Lake and Gold Creek Lake) and not many people camping.

Lake Gilpin is pretty amazing. My crappy pictures don’t do it justice. And I didn’t get any on our descent to the lake from the saddle because my phone was packed away. Bonus: seagull pair chasing a bald eagle back and forth across the lake was pretty amusing.

Lots of wildflowers too:

The valley we camped in:

Our hike out was actually much more scenic than our hike in (the Gilpin Lake trail section of the loop) but we were chased down by a thunderstorm so we didn’t have time to stop for pics :argh:

I didn’t wear hiking boots, but I did test out my new hiking poles. Not sure I like them yet. Mostly, I just carried them or they were packed away. And I still fell into the water twice even with the poles.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did my dumb hike in the Wind River Range, it was everything I expected it to be. There were lakes

there were towers

there were mountains

there were glaciers

penguins and butt glissades

and a badass sunset

There were also elk, spiders, and an over abundance of mosquitos. The mosquitos were relentless and they were fast. At normal walking speed I'm used to not having to deal with them unless I stop, and that was true of one of the species out there. But there was a second kind that made sure I was on high alert for the hike out, seemed like I was squishing at least one per minute as they landed on my arms and neck.

I saw quite a few people out there with tents set up. It's such a large area that pretty much everyone had tons of room to themselves. Getting to some of those lakes is about 12 miles so it's a trek.

This was the longest day hike I've ever done, but not by much. A couple years back I chained together some of Utah's tallest mountains in one trip and it was about 33 miles and took maybe 15 hours. For this one I started at half past midnight and got back to my car a little past 10:30pm, it ended up being about 34.5 miles. The ascent and descent up Fremont Peak (13751 feet) killed me, as well as the elevation gain in various areas on the way back. There were clouds for some of the trip but when the sun came out it was brutal. Kinda typical at 10000 feet. At one point I felt like I couldn't retain any water despite eating plenty of salty stuff and I guess it was because I was trying to sweat to cool off but all the moisture got caught in my hat. I ended up dunking my hat in a stream several times and it helped a ton.

Highly recommend the area, definitely don't recommend the hike unless you can move quickly and enjoy pushing yourself to your limits

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hiked Delta Lake in Grand Teton National Park and it kicked my rear end hard. Mostly because I'm out of shape, but the heavy boots didn't help. Good motivation to get cardio in daily I guess!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Mrs. Rice went on her first backpacking trip with a friend and I this past weekend. It was a four day trip with one night at Dewey and two nights at Anderson lake along the PCT. Starting point was the Naches loop trailhead off WA-410.

Along the Naches loop trail is a lovely little pond that's a nice spot to adjust your packs after warming up.

Once we got to Dewey, we trekked around to find an open camping spot. It gave us better views than last year.

They're tiny, so I didn't get any photos, but the mosquitos were terrible. My friend and I were in scouts and have been camping for years in the PNW, and this is the worst we've ever experienced. No amount of bug spray kept us safe.

We planned on going the next two(ish) miles to Anderson lake, but hadn't decided whether or not to stay one or two nights at Dewey. The consensus was to see how bad the bugs were the next day: there are lots of marshy and standing water areas around the lake; less at Anderson.
While Dewey gave us a lovely morning with a bit of mist rolling off the water, we were quickly descended upon and decided to break camp after breakfast.

The trail to Anderson lake was considerably more narrow and rocky, but we eventually made it to Anderson lake and greeted by... llamas.

Turns out there was a group of people that were using Anderson lake as a base camp for themselves and rest point for people coming through on the PCT. We were at Anderson for three days/two nights and the llamas were staked in the whole time. We're unsure of the humanitarian ramifications of leaving a llama contained to a 10 square foot area for several days.

While the mosquitos weren't as bad at Anderson, they were still very relentless. Small, pretty lake, though. We decided to setup camp and stay there the remaining two nights of our trip.

The next morning, our friend elected to just relax in his tent reading and resting for the day, while Mrs. Rice and I went for a short hike to American lake. It was a lovely hike with some gorgeous views, Mt. Rainier included.

American lake was beautiful and quiet. Dewey was packed when we got there, and we were lucky to find an open spot. Mrs. Rice and I walked around the entirety of American lake without coming across anyone.

We wanted to stop a minute and enjoy the lake. The mosquitos had other plans, so we headed back to camp. The llamas were there to greet us when we returned.

On the final morning we ate breakfast, cleared camp, and set out. Somehow the mosquitos were even more abhorrent. We could barely stop for more than 15 seconds before being assaulted. Either way, we pushed through and made it back to the car.

Found some good spots for camping next year at American lake, and we're planning on camping later in the season. Like I said, my friend and I have been camping in the PNW for years but have never experienced mosquitos this bad. Apparently our wet, mild winter followed by the summer heat wave made for a perfect storm of mosquito. Still a good trip.
All pics here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/xiGXFGy

There was one rear end in a top hat with an unleashed dog that charged us and barked aggressively. The owner's response was "Oh he's more bark than bite!" while the leash was just dangling from his back pocket. Leash your loving dogs.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Mosquitos in the PNW have been absolutely brutal this year on trail. The heavy rains well into june combined with the crazy snowpack in the cascades created so much water logging in the lowland areas. I got destroyed in the alpine lakes wilderness a few weeks ago, just walking through clouds of them.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Thanks for all the camping/pack cleaning advice! Now I have one more… this is kinda silly but coming from Chicago to Seattle, what side of the plane should I be sitting to see Rainier?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Probably left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

Thanks for all the camping/pack cleaning advice! Now I have one more… this is kinda silly but coming from Chicago to Seattle, what side of the plane should I be sitting to see Rainier?

Depends on the route but generally the left side of the plane because Rainier will be to the south of you, along with Adams, St Helens, maybe Mt hood. If coming from chicago, left side of the plane, if going to chicago, right side. Honestly either side will be cool as there's a lot to look at. If you're on the right side of the plane you'll see mt Baker. The flight is pretty boring until Montana/Idaho/Washington. Washington is only the last 30-45 minutes or so of the flight. You'll be the closest to the mountains as you descend and the cascades are the final range before you land in seattle. You'll probably see a few fires on your flight out. Our sun is setting around 820pm so hopefully your flight is prior to that point.

I can't recall, are you just coming out here for a trip or moving permanently?