Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol now he's realized the questions are legitimate and is backpedaling hard

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1551680499193610240

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1551685112802205701

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

If you own controlling shares in the book itself, you don't have to do the grunt work. You get to make the author write your ideas. Everyone knows Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the literary world's most popular zombie mod. But how much better would it be if the original creator was involved?

I think Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell would be a whole lot more interesting if Orcs invaded, but Susanna Clarke refuses to do that.

I think it's probably a good idea that the book that explores what it means to be British doesn't include their response to an Orcish Invasion.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I feel sorry for whatever legal team will have to read through his #mycrimes discord channel when this inevitably gets noticed by an AUSA or something

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It seems like nailing Shkreli's rear end to the wall is one of the few things that could bring people together of any political stripe in this contentious day and age.

A complete slam dunk for any DA or whatever

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1551487589600768000

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Doesnt Costco famously sell its goods more or less at cost and make a significant amount of profit from annual memberships?

More customers and less memberships would be lighting their business model on fire

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
that person who wrote that thread alleges a phd in macroeconomics

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lord Stimperor posted:

Brb investing in shadow the hedgehog erotica

You're supposed to get in before it becomes popular

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/MSItoken/status/1548898678961610752

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

it's all so handwavy too. "sublease your costco card" sounds great for the person buying the costco card and then "giving" it to another person to use. except uhh, would costco want to do that? and if so, what point does blockchain make it easier to handle all this? we certainly don't need blockchain for any kind of validation... and having it on a blockchain would actually just be slower as your appending data for each "update" where a different address owns the costco card and then has to return it back to the original owner's address. why not just skip the lovely blockchain and let costco create their own system they can customize and make instantaneous rather than at the speed of blockchain?

what i'm saying is i've already thought of it more than these dweebs have...

here's a better idea. if you don't have a membership to costco but need to shop there... get a costco gift card. they'll let you shop at costco if you're paying with their gift card. there's some obstacles: only costco members can buy gift cards. but like that seems way better than converting your fiat money into $COSTCOCOIN tokens

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Molly's Discord conversation with Martin Shkreli needs to be highlighted, because man, he is a smarmy, catty little bitch with very bad lawyers.

loving God bless this lady.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol that costco idea.. that's like how sharing your netflix account to family and friends is something netflix likes, and encourages - OH WAIT NO THEY DON'T THEY loving HATE IT

Magnetic North posted:

loving God bless this lady.

she's awesome and we're lucky to have her taking on these crypto goofs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Clearly letting others profit off their memberships and requiring an entire blockchain marketplace is a better business decision and easier then just charging $60 a year

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also even aside from the stupidity of this costco plan, WHY is the blockchain the solution for that? Surely they could easily implement something using a system you login to and it keeps your information in a database. Why something like the blockchain in this case? What benefit does it provide better than that?

none

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Relevant:

https://twitter.com/DunkinDAOnuts/status/1534518103459102721

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Hey, they gave me a computer science degree and I'm a terrible computer toucher.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

If true, it is irrelevant to the examples they’re advocating. Macroeconomics is about the economy as a whole. What would be relevant is an economist with a microeconomic background. Or someone with basic common sense.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

priznat posted:

Also even aside from the stupidity of this costco plan, WHY is the blockchain the solution for that? Surely they could easily implement something using a system you login to and it keeps your information in a database. Why something like the blockchain in this case? What benefit does it provide better than that?

none

If you think that's stupid, there are already $hundreds of millions involved in multiple ventures trying to put people's house ownership onto a blockchain. "Whoops while you were sleeping the blockchain got hacked so you're homeless now, tough luck. You have 3 days notice to vacate the premises, because SlutApe775 owns this property now according to his bithouse wallet".

These folks typically have little to no understanding of tech and even LESS understanding of the industry they're trying to revolutionize. Doesn't stop them from constantly "X but with bitcoin"ing random industries and then thinking they're the next Nikola Tesla. You don't even need an interesting or creative scam whitepaper. Just take something that already exists, propose doing it with a blockchain, and get some dumb folks to invest.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 26, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

If you think that's stupid, there are already $hundreds of millions involved in multiple ventures trying to put people's house ownership onto a blockchain. "Whoops while you were sleeping the blockchain got hacked so you're homeless now, tough luck. You have 3 days notice to vacate the premises, because SlutApe775 owns this property now according to his bithouse wallet".

These folks typically have little to no understanding of tech and even LESS understanding of the industry they're trying to revolutionize. Doesn't stop them from constantly "X but with bitcoin"ing random industries and then thinking they're the next Nikola Tesla.

It’s so funny because you can slap a bunch of hypotheticals on top of it to try to tilt the scales in the crypto favour but it STILL makes no sense.

Like if all the following are magically true:
- it’s totally secure
- it’s not massively harmful in terms of resources
- it’s easy to use
There still isn’t a great argument as to why it’s the better option than what already exists and is used in hundreds of thousands of places.

It’s true though they have no idea about tech stuff and it is a weird cargo culting of what they think is some kind of revolutionary game changer because they watched a couple youtubes.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Someone looked at that awful Tascha thread and came up with even worse web3 idea, somehow : https://twitter.com/h4rukee/status/1551708025894977536?t=qPhE-jnrkWSncBLnDGjyKQ&s=19

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shoes, but they're on the blockchain. If you're not wearing your shoes then you can rent them out for other people to wear and get a cut of that sweet sweet shoe money.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

It’s so hilarious that the ridiculous ”rent out your Costco membership” example keeps coming up. These people are touting revolution, but their thinking is so mired in consumer capitalism that the best they can come up with is ideas for realizing surplus value from consumption.

The “rent out your home computer for a distributed data center” idea is just as stupid. Data locality is one of the most important problems in distributed computing, just as inventory and routing are in warehousing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

istewart posted:

It’s so hilarious that the ridiculous ”rent out your Costco membership” example keeps coming up. These people are touting revolution, but their thinking is so mired in consumer capitalism that the best they can come up with is ideas for realizing surplus value from consumption.

The “rent out your home computer for a distributed data center” idea is just as stupid. Data locality is one of the most important problems in distributed computing, just as inventory and routing are in warehousing.

I'm real sick of you injecting your real world problems between me and number go up

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sir Gladu posted:

Someone looked at that awful Tascha thread and came up with even worse web3 idea, somehow : https://twitter.com/h4rukee/status/1551708025894977536?t=qPhE-jnrkWSncBLnDGjyKQ&s=19

This is one of my new favorites. By what mechanism do these visionaries think can force policy execution? Sure let me just input this smart contract into the government.exe code...

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I'm not sure they get what a contract is either

https://twitter.com/h4rukee/status/1551743161134972932

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What the gently caress how are these morons real, how can they exist in a society.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

holy poo poo i thought he was making some weird joke in that original reply.... he was serious???

bwahahhahhahahah

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SettingSun posted:

This is one of my new favorites. By what mechanism do these visionaries think can force policy execution? Sure let me just input this smart contract into the government.exe code...

Isn't it obvious?

Code is law, therefore law is code.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hard Mode: come up with a non-dystopian use case for blockchain.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

A significant portion of the whitepaper is them trying to solve the "but what if people cheat because they get paid per result" problem

Clearly he is too out of date to understand newer scams, but not too out of date to recognize just what parts of this are entirely bullshit with "it'll be defi with an NFT"

Blotto_Otter posted:

convicted securities fraudster who is banned forever from being anywhere near publicly-traded companies generally and the pharmaceutical industry specifically, and who decides to dive in to pharmaceutical-adjacent don't-call-it-a-security "tokens" immediately after release from prison, is destined to be an all-time champion terrible horrible no-good legal client. I can't wait to read the insane profiles about whatever late-stage Lin Wood-type lawyers take him on

If there's one way to get it pretty loving clear it's a security and regulated as such (IE: the poo poo crypto avoids like the plague because of how it works), Shkreli is clearly up for the job.

Saw this posted today:

Your powers combine, I am captain grifto (or is it captain libertian/proud boy?)

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 26, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Challenge level impossible: come up with a use case for blockchain that can't be done more efficiently using other technologies, or is beneficial for more than one party in a transaction

drk
Jan 16, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Isn't it obvious?

Code is law, therefore law is code.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

not a web3 person..... BUT

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Ignorance of the law, but it's an entire fake online economy. That's Bitcoin.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I've put a lot of thought into this personally and with a lot of folks down at the bureaucracy factory where I work.

The only credible use case for blockchain (not even Bitcoin, blockchain in general) is for establishing a paper trail between peer countries that don't come under a common judicial framework.

The peer countries part is important because otherwise the larger country will just say "gently caress you, you're using my system" and the judicial framework is relevant because they could just use existing cryptographic solutions for non-repudiation and go to court if they need to. In fact, blockchain is a hinderence here because if a judge orders you to delete or modify a record you've bought yourself a trip to paintown.

Even then, it's only as useful as the integrity of the parties involved because we can look at recent grain related agreements in Ukraine to see how agreements don't actually stop someone who willfully signs an agreement in bad faith and then immediately breaks it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ignorance of the law, but it's an entire fake online economy. That's Bitcoin.

You can schedule an email to send later, right? That's just like passing legislation via a smart contract. In this essay I will

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Party Ape posted:

I've put a lot of thought into this personally and with a lot of folks down at the bureaucracy factory where I work.

The only credible use case for blockchain (not even Bitcoin, blockchain in general) is for establishing a paper trail between peer countries that don't come under a common judicial framework.

The peer countries part is important because otherwise the larger country will just say "gently caress you, you're using my system" and the judicial framework is relevant because they could just use existing cryptographic solutions for non-repudiation and go to court if they need to. In fact, blockchain is a hinderence here because if a judge orders you to delete or modify a record you've bought yourself a trip to paintown.

Even then, it's only as useful as the integrity of the parties involved because we can look at recent grain related agreements in Ukraine to see how agreements don't actually stop someone who willfully signs an agreement in bad faith and then immediately breaks it.

Still just a database.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

Still just a database.

Yes, bit it's an expensive database that is difficult to audit and can funnel money toward the already wealthy

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Neito posted:

Still just a database.

Sure, but have you considered that it's a super niche database that has no practical advantages and many downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Even in a perfect scenario where all of this technology makes sense and there’s massive global adoption, why would anyone want a public ledger of all of their transactions? Like, if you somehow don’t care about the horrific universal privacy concerns and are just thinking about yourself, do you really want a timestamped permanent record of you buying poo poo at the weed store while you were on the clock at work or whatever?