Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Considering it's the only solo Paul Simon song I know, I'm feeling quite smug right now.

:same:

I also remember being really confused by Chevy Chase being in the music video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I only know the song from this (amazing) mashup, which samples it starting at 2:15:

https://youtu.be/JIGUHqV-aH8

These mashup albums have seriously expanded my pop music knowledge for pub trivia purposes

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I guessed "Graceland" due to the "Tennessee" part of the clue. Should've paid closer attention to the "inaugural ball" part.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HookShot posted:

Last night I dreamed that I was at a J! audition (in person, and I knew I wasn't eligible to be on) so I'm calling it here: they're going to announce the permanent host today, and that dream was me being on the same wavelength as the people at Sony.

This didn't pan out, but it turns out today was Alex's birthday so I'm still on J! wavelengths. Stay tuned for more updates of my dreams to know when there will be more important Jeopardy! days coming up.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I only know the song from this (amazing) mashup, which samples it starting at 2:15:

These mashup albums have seriously expanded my pop music knowledge for pub trivia purposes

I'm glad this was what I hoped it was. Definitely one of the most exciting of his final tracks on an album!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What in the jock jams is this?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Considering it's the only solo Paul Simon song I know, I'm feeling quite smug right now.

Imagine not knowing a multitude of ways to break up with your paramour... smh

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I forgot to post last week:

It was really cool when that guy apologized to his grandpa's spirit within his watch when he missed that question.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

The Sean posted:

I forgot to post last week:

It was really cool when that guy apologized to his grandpa's spirit within his watch when he missed that question.

I didn’t see it, but this seems like a weird thing to double back for. I mean, he’s having a personal moment in the middle of the game to get him through the situation. Let it be?

I guess if he was using his watch like a Star Trek communicator all exaggerated maybe it’s still noteworthy lol

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Apex Rogers posted:

I didn’t see it, but this seems like a weird thing to double back for. I mean, he’s having a personal moment in the middle of the game to get him through the situation. Let it be?

I guess if he was using his watch like a Star Trek communicator all exaggerated maybe it’s still noteworthy lol

Don't misunderstand me. I did think it was cool. I wish that guy kept winning. He was the lawyer that tugged his ear for his son on the first ep and (something that escapes me) for his wife. He was just about doing his own thing. But yeah it was like a communicator on star trek.

:nms: my whole family is dead so not shaming him for having a moment

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 25, 2022

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-hosts-1235325067/

quote:

At last, there’s a solution to the ongoing question of which host — Mayim Bialik or Ken Jennings — will ultimately lead “Jeopardy!” The answer: Both.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has entered into long-term deals that will have the two hosts continue to split duties on the popular syndicated game show, according to a person familiar with the matter, while retaining Bialik to host primetime editions of the show as well as the new “Celebrity Jeopardy!” show expected to start up at ABC. With Sony eager to boost more versions of the program, this person says, more than one host was required. Bialik continues to work on the Fox sitcom, “Call Me Kat,” which has been scheduled for a second season.

quote:

The dual-host solution speaks to ambitions behind the venerable game show, which originally debuted on NBC in 1964 before evolving into the current early-evening version 20 years later. “With all of our plans for ‘Jeopardy!’ — which is more ‘Jeopardy!,’ not less, more versions — we’re going to need multiple hosts to represent the entire audience, to represent the entire country, in order to take this franchise forward,” executive producer Michael Davies told Variety in June.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1551686087470247936?t=MU8uK1nltm5xvOtKsIq_fw&s=19

Looks like the status quo for at least next season.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like tricking all the Jeopardy fans into watching Call Me Kat worked

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Wait it says they’re retaining Bialik for the prime time slots, does that mean Ken is doing all the normal games???

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

HookShot posted:

Wait it says they’re retaining Bialik for the prime time slots, does that mean Ken is doing all the normal games???

They are still splitting for syndication as well, she'll just continue to be the main host for at least some of the primetime shows (most likely Celeb Jeopardy when that airs)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In other words they don't want to anger the IDF

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I really don't want to retake the exam and finally get my shot after all these years only to come in and she is there.

As I typed that we're watching today's and holy poo poo gently caress Ken does poo poo that Mayim never has: When someone says "I'll make it a true daily double," and they're under the max wager, asking to clarify what they want to do by gently reminding, "Ok, for $400, or you could wager up to $1000...."

She doesn't even state that that's possible, let alone prompt after the wager is stated.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Then I'm done. Not dealing with another season of her twitchy smugness.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Boy that FJ really, really hinged on already knowing about the 25-year rule -- I too guessed Gwen Stefani by thinking about who was popular in 1998 and 2019.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i didnt know that it was a rule but i figured that as a hall of fame there had to be some kind of longevity component to it (like how mlb requires 5 full uninterrupted years of retirement before youre eligible) so i thought about women that had successful solo and group careers that started in the 70s and queen stevie was the first person to come to mind

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I instantly went with Stevie Nicks

I think I'm going to make a loko moto this weekend though!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I heard that exact same question at pub trivia a few months ago so I happened to know it, but I think it's fair to assume that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't induct people until their careers are mostly behind them. That's pretty much how every other HoF works, and if you ever see headlines about who's getting abducted, it's always acts from about 20-30 years ago, so it's safe to assume they're asking about an older artist.

But there's no clue beyond "woman, successful as part of a band and also as a solo act". You'd think they would work in some language about her style or specific career highlights that the Hall used when it enshrined her for the second time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guessed Cher.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, go Ken, but gently caress all this. It’s basically Sony doesn’t know what the gently caress they are doing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I knew that cold and Mr Hookshot was super impressed.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
One of my worse categories, and yet I somehow got it. But I did guess Beyonce initially. Then I reread the clue and realized that's the years she was inducted so that didn't make sense, and somehow pulled Stevie Nicks out of my rear end as the first woman I can think of who was in a group initially and had a solo career after.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I guessed it right but my backup guess was Debbie Harry. It’s usually the more obvious answer so I was pretty confident in Nicks unless there was someone important I had forgotten. Those were still some very dumb guesses because they really fundamentally don’t understand how Halls of Fame work.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I guessed Joan Jett myself

Guess they're kicking the can again regarding the hosts. Quite unfortunate.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gross. Can't she just like...go away until these new jeopardy shows are created?

How many celebrity jeopardy shows can you do a year? There's prob a limit on how many want to go on and look stupid when someone like the Blue Clues guy slaughters them. By season 2 it'll be all D listers.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I want Cardi B on celeb J!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Island Nation posted:

I guessed Joan Jett myself

Guess they're kicking the can again regarding the hosts. Quite unfortunate.

Sadly I don't think they are kicking the can. It seems clear they want Mayim Bialik and are just waiting until her sitcom is canceled so she can do it full time. Otherwise there's really no reason so keep this duo hosting thing going.

I can only tolerate her if I know Ken is around the corner. If/when she goes full time I'm unfortunately out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Seems like the suits are doing a 'split the baby in half' scenario that's liable to just piss everyone off. Aside from her Q score or whatever bullshit metric they're using, I just don't get what they see in Mayim at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

I can only tolerate her if I know Ken is around the corner. If/when she goes full time I'm unfortunately out.

:same:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if mayim becomes permanent host then the combination of people leaving that were previous fans, the people remaining being less discerning, and whoever the hell her q score is attracting will make the game pretty incredible. if you think the games and contestants lately have been abysmal, just wait a couple years.....

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Keep Ken full-time, but have Mayim choose his wardrobe, imo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Not to mention, with the clue writing going downhill, having Ken permanently at the podium at least gives the possibility that he, like Alex used to do, will make changes to the clues as he sees fit, and possibly have a positive impact on the writer's room in general.

Mayim, on the other hand, obviously doesn't even know the answers to the clues as she's going, let alone has the trivia skill and knowledge to help make the show run smoothly.

When she's announced as the forever permanent host when Call me Kat gets cancelled, I think the show is going to nosedive in quality even further than it already has.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I genuinely 100% do not think Miyam is ever going to be announced as full time host of syndicated Jeopardy. Really what this announcement shows is that Sony is just not going to make an official choice for one or the other, and will most likely just keep the split until either Ken or Miyam decide to call it quits, and it's clear neither is going to do that at this point.

Really, the closest thing I can imagine Miyam taking over full time is primetime Jeopardy, which would fit with Michael Davies quote on wanting "multiple hosts for different versions of Jeopardy"

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think the biggest unsaid thing about mayims hosting is the matter of respect. people respected alex as the stentorian keeper of knowledge, the man that many of us grew up with. some of my earliest memories are sitting in a bouncy chair watching 1993 jeopardy and calling it boppity because i couldnt pronounce it right. ive watched this show my whole life. when you went on jeopardy, you wanted to do well not just for yourself but because on some level you wanted to impress alex too, feel like you belong on that stage. ken doesnt have that, but hes the greatest to ever do it and the game clearly means as much to him as it does to the contestants, and being up there would make you feel what he must have felt as a contestant. hes on your wavelength, and you realize how hard what he did was. you respect him and his achievement even more than you would have watching from home 18 years ago (!!!)

give me one good reason to respect mayim as the host? you cant. so who cares what happens? bets get sloppy, people dont take risks on clues as often. the game gets both embarrassing and boring. then add in the lower quality of contestants due to post covid stuff and her being just bad at the actual job of hosting, and its no wonder the show is like this. these ken games in this batch so far have honestly also not been particularly great, but theyre still a huge breath of fresh air compared to the last couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Seems like the suits are doing a 'split the baby in half' scenario that's liable to just piss everyone off. Aside from her Q score or whatever bullshit metric they're using, I just don't get what they see in Mayim at all.

She costarred on a sitcom that made CBS a lot of money (and made WB a gross tonnage of it). Her character was a neuroscientist and so is she. Her home is in the LA metro area. That's likely all the qualities they wanted. Skills at being a emcee were secondary to them. Ken only has a part time hosting gig due to her being double booked.