Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A batch of goblins

I still have most of the Battle for Skull Pass goblin side lying around (~60 goblins). At my current speed, I'll be done in a few years. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a good methodology for painting metallic black armor? I'm working on this massive Guts bust and want to do it right.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a good methodology for painting metallic black armor? I'm working on this massive Guts bust and want to do it right.

Sonic Sledgehammer recently did a video on painting Heresy-era Iron Hands and the main part of his recipe is Vallejo Metal Air Metallic Black, drybrushed with Necron Compound, then washed with Agrax Earthshade.

Found the video: https://youtu.be/dDYSY80ck8w

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 25, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

w00tmonger posted:

Vallejo metal color jet exhaust straight from the bottle, washed with thinned black templar. Some light scratches with a medium grey metallic like magnesium and some sparse scratchy edge highlights with a sorta bright color like duraluminum.

Substitute and brand you want, just giving specifics for the purpose of demonstrating color.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Finished up with my corsairs, time to slowly post photos of them. Apparently they're space pirates so of course they get beach bases and parrots. Used the goonhammer beach base idea to start with and simplified it for 28mm bases. Oh and the model is 90% contrast paint over a drybrushed zenithal. Some edge highlighting was done on some parts to make them pop a little more.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

w00tmonger posted:

For a medieval knights armor kinda look, I like magnesium base coat, dark aluminum as main color (keeping the magnesium in the recesses and dark areas), aluminum on raised surfaces and areas that would be lit up. Wash it all in nuln oil gloss. Nuln oil gloss is sadly gone the way of the dodo for unknown GW reasons, and I honestly don’t know how to replicate it correctly, despite many experiments with gloss medium and glazes and varnishes.

E: those are all VMC (vallejo metal color), dark, medium, bright, and astoundingly good metals. If you’re brushing it on, it takes a little practice because they’re quite liquid, but if you’re careful they’re amazing when brushed too.

Ee: I’d definitely test on another model first to see if you like the effect

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 25, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Finished up with my corsairs, time to slowly post photos of them. Apparently they're space pirates so of course they get beach bases and parrots. Used the goonhammer beach base idea to start with and simplified it for 28mm bases. Oh and the model is 90% contrast paint over a drybrushed zenithal. Some edge highlighting was done on some parts to make them pop a little more.

Space pirates.

That parrot needs a little helmet :ohdear:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Vince of course has a tutorial on black armor if you're okay with doing some glazing. I'm working on a Black Widow company for Battletech.

I don't quite have the hang of it yet, don't think my glazes are, uh, glazey enough. Too much pigment. I had to strip and start over.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love the joke video idea that miniac and ninjon thought of where they make a video on how to find a specific tutorial on Vincy V's YouTube channel, as he's covered just about anything you'd ever want. I even consulted a video on using water effects when I was making those bases.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jonny Nox posted:

Space pirates.

That parrot needs a little helmet :ohdear:

All my experience is that space pirate birds are black and stuffed with explosives.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Chiming into to report that oil washes are as easy and magical as everyone says

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

I don't quite have the hang of it yet, don't think my glazes are, uh, glazey enough. Too much pigment. I had to strip and start over.
Guess who has the tutorial? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88NtHNmz1Q

Tl;dw: Basically make a wash, maybe add a bit of pigment back in, and then use a tissue to draw all the extra water out of the brush.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Getting the water out of your brush after you draw pigment onto your brush is definitely the thing that I think trips most people up, certainly that was the problem I had when I was trying to glaze.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Bored Online posted:

This technique really helped with my alpha legion so I this I will continue it this way. Maybe if I double up contrast layers on the panels it will provide a more "cermite" look or whatever its called, while still making the trim a cake walk. I'll give it a shot tomorrow night. Spraying the whole model in metallic and using traditional acrylics on the panels just seems like another recipe for frustration, because there is so much trim to get between.

So how do you do a metallics + contrast paint scheme on vehicles without the flat panels looking like a streaky mess?

Bored Online posted:

In general as painting becomes "easier" and I develop preferences, coming up with recipes and batch painting methods seems to be the bigger challenge. Any pointers on how people approach new models or projects in the conception phase would be much appreciated!

I totally understand and appreciate the logic behind batch painting, but I'll be damned if I'm disciplined enough to actually do much of it. Painting needs to be something that I enjoy, and that doesn't mean spending an hour a night for a week painting nothing but black on a squad of 40K Templars. I guess I make a conscious choice to mostly paint a model at a time in order to maximize the dopamine hit that I get when I finish one up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Freehand is hard. But I'll keep practicing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Menacing Macaws spreading terror in the void.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

In the grim darkness of the far future, THERE IS ONLY MARGARITAVILLE

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

S.J. posted:

Speaking of, I'm planning on getting some makeup brushes for drybrushing soon and would love some recommendations because I have no loving clue where to start or if it matters

1. Go to dollar tree
2. Buy whatever brushes they have in the makeup aisle
3. (Optional) buy some cheap eye shadow palettes while you're there, because they work great as weathering/effect pigment powders

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Cthulu Carl posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, THERE IS ONLY MARGARITAVILLE

lookin for my
lost shaker of souls

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

just gently caress around and find out (what works and what doesn't)

I'm trying to follow the 90/10 rule myself and it's working out great....I just haven't watched any content creator videos lately and have instead been busy with videogames in lieu of painting. I feel guilty about it though. Maybe I'll bring a model to work tomorrow and see if I can do any there.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Still working on things but I'm pretty happy with this "black" metal. Could probably have gone a bit darker somehow, but looking at the source material things are pretty split if the armors more black or silver.

If I were too would I just start glazing blacks overtop?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 26, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bought some Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl paints, specifically Bold Titanium White and Bright Ivory, to use on painting up some Black Templars "Dark Crusaders", and oh my god I'm an instant convert.

Obviously some cleanup work here and there to be done, and I still have to do the metallic parts, but overall I'm completely blown away by the coverage on the Pro Acryl paints. The white and ivory covered over a dark gray undercoat with one or two coats, and slightly thinned down ones at that.

The figure was primed black, given a basecoat of Vallejo Air Anthracite Grey, then a sort-of zenithal with AP Air Uniform Grey, and a light drybrush of the Pro Acryl white, before having AP Speedpaint Grim Black generously applied. AP Speedpaint Blood Red was painted directly over white for the red bits, and the robe was painted with the Bright Ivory before being given a coat of Speedpaint Pallid Bone and then touched up with Bright Ivory and then white for the final highlight.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Bought some Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl paints, specifically Bold Titanium White and Bright Ivory, to use on painting up some Black Templars "Dark Crusaders", and oh my god I'm an instant convert.

Obviously some cleanup work here and there to be done, and I still have to do the metallic parts, but overall I'm completely blown away by the coverage on the Pro Acryl paints. The white and ivory covered over a dark gray undercoat with one or two coats, and slightly thinned down ones at that.

The figure was primed black, given a basecoat of Vallejo Air Anthracite Grey, then a sort-of zenithal with AP Air Uniform Grey, and a light drybrush of the Pro Acryl white, before having AP Speedpaint Grim Black generously applied. AP Speedpaint Blood Red was painted directly over white for the red bits, and the robe was painted with the Bright Ivory before being given a coat of Speedpaint Pallid Bone and then touched up with Bright Ivory and then white for the final highlight.

Wow this looks great , and makes me want to try my imperial fists in all contrast / speedpaint. Do you have any tips for edging the pauldrons? I always struggle with those and find myself having to add a bunch of white cover up splotches, which makes the look inconsistent.

If anyone is curious the new imperial fist contrast paint really is as good as everyone says. This makes me interested in trying the pro acryl white as a replacement for ap matt white and all of the citadel stuff.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hell yeah pro Acryl convert.

Paints aside you should be really pleased with the result. Nice one

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Bored Online posted:

Wow this looks great , and makes me want to try my imperial fists in all contrast / speedpaint. Do you have any tips for edging the pauldrons? I always struggle with those and find myself having to add a bunch of white cover up splotches, which makes the look inconsistent.

If anyone is curious the new imperial fist contrast paint really is as good as everyone says. This makes me interested in trying the pro acryl white as a replacement for ap matt white and all of the citadel stuff.

When you say edging the pauldrons, do you mean the shade/shadow between the white part and the red trim? That was actually stupidly easy, I just painted them white with the Pro Acryl paint, gave them a coat of AP Speedpaint Holy White (their version of the Apothecary White Contrast paint), then repainted the PA white on it again. Since the PA white goes on so well it made the whole thing super easy. I'd highly recommend getting a bottle of that and never using any other white paints again. :v:

Yeast posted:

Hell yeah pro Acryl convert.

Paints aside you should be really pleased with the result. Nice one

Thanks very much! I do have to admit that the AP Grim Black Speedpaint made this incredibly easy, once I had all the drybrushing done I just applied it and it pulled everything together nicely. One trick I learned for painting smooth surfaces like space marine armor with Contrast/Speedpaints is to overload your brush, so you have plenty of paint to keep whatever section you're working on "wet" and can move it around until you're done with that section of the mini and move on to the next one. Doing that helps avoid the "coffee stains" or streaky effects you can get sometimes with those types of paints.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Currently trying to strip some models that had a primer dry rough instead of smooth on them and not seeing much results after 5 days. I tried to scrub off the paint with a toothbrush on day 3 and it worked ok for a little but seemed to need a lot more elbow grease and pressure than I was seeing online which made me worried about breaking them so I figured I'd let them sit a few more days. How long should it normally take? I'm using LA's Totally Awesome as a stripper and the Primer is GW Corax White.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Excuse the blutack but I just got a bag of orc bits for nothing, and I don't really like orcs, but I saw a few pieces ahead of time and got this chaotic idea stuck in my head

Good idea or bad idea?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Excuse the blutack but I just got a bag of orc bits for nothing, and I don't really like orcs, but I saw a few pieces ahead of time and got this chaotic idea stuck in my head

Good idea or bad idea?

Does it swing the axe or shoot the gun when you honk?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does it swing the axe or shoot the gun when you honk?

TBH I don't know, I feel like the orc would swing at nearby people with the axe and use the.....Fifth Element gun on everything else

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Good idea or bad idea?
Good idea but *only* if you bash that motorcycle into a unicycle

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looks like you secretly do like Orks

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tiny plane goes vroooooooom

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Painted some bloodbowl lads!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

AnEdgelord posted:

Currently trying to strip some models that had a primer dry rough instead of smooth on them and not seeing much results after 5 days. I tried to scrub off the paint with a toothbrush on day 3 and it worked ok for a little but seemed to need a lot more elbow grease and pressure than I was seeing online which made me worried about breaking them so I figured I'd let them sit a few more days. How long should it normally take? I'm using LA's Totally Awesome as a stripper and the Primer is GW Corax White.

If LA's Totally Awesome isn't working for you, try a soak in 90+% Isopropyl Alcohol for a bit. Fauxhammer has a tutorial as to how to strip miniatures, and covers all of the different materials they're made of.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eediot Jedi posted:

Tiny plane goes vroooooooom

Neat. What are those?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They look like various Ork Dakkaplanes from Aeronautica Imperialis

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm looking to buy some fancy brushes. What sizes should I look into getting?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

1 and 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lucinice posted:

I'm looking to buy some fancy brushes. What sizes should I look into getting?

I would say that depends on the brand as sizing isn't consistent between brands. My Rosemary & Co Series 33 Size 3 is significantly smaller than my W&N Series 7 Size 3. I'm not sure if anyone knows of a good guide showing a bunch of different brush types next to each other though.