Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Voice acting ruined video games.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

its an important contrast to the years of people saying "can i pet the dog?" in every fuckin game, which then moved to the marketing line "and yes, you can pet the dog" which is almost even worse

AC origins owned cuz you could pet the cats

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Stray is cute. You can look at kitty jump animations, run around and slide on the floor trying to do a quick 180, and you can meow. Free jumping would have been better, but there are so many different jumps you'd have to tie the action to some context anyway.

X JAKK posted:

I tried to pet a cat in GTAV and looked on helplessly as franklin proceeded to give it one quick stomp to the skull.

:yikes:

Edit:

Rutibex posted:

it ruined AAA role playing games that's for sure. every high budget rpg now has to be some on-rails fallout 4 type affair. The need for so much voice acting means you can't write nearly as many dialogue options as older rpgs.

Yeah that's the real tragedy. You can always mute bad voice acting. You can't get all the dialogue back.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 25, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I was considering Stray because the world looks cool but the idea of running around an empty world as an animal sounds so boring. I understand looking at cat pics and thinking they are cute but my attention span for that kind of thing is like 5 seconds.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's not empty though?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the description said a long forgotten cyberpunk city and i never saw any NPCs or anything in the gameplay so i just figured it was devoid of humanity.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
There's no humans. It's all bipedal johhny fives with screen faces wearing UGG boots.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

roomtone posted:

the description said a long forgotten cyberpunk city and i never saw any NPCs or anything in the gameplay so i just figured it was devoid of humanity.

No humans but a whole lot of robots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i shot a dog in far cry 5

to be fair, it was a dick

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

it ruined AAA role playing games that's for sure. every high budget rpg now has to be some on-rails fallout 4 type affair. The need for so much voice acting means you can't write nearly as many dialogue options as older rpgs.

I mean you could, but that's less money for the wicked lens-flare effects.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think any near-future AAA game will be extremely text heavy and require reading comprehension beyond about 5th grade level understand because if it did, the game would lose a large amount of possible players.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Elysium is getting a sequel. Well it's certainly not AAA, but A atleast.

Then again ubisoft keeps birthing gameturds right into the open mouths of mentally disabled people worldwide, so people aren't getting smarter any time soon.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

!Klams posted:

Like I know, of all the people I know that would want to buy this on sight, exactly none of them could do a traditional platform puzzle in something like Mario, without spending a painful amount of time on it.

Maybe people like to experience different kinds of gaming across different games? If I want Mario platforming, I'll play a Mario game. Stray is obviously a different game and I find it really cute and enjoyable, and touching in spots. I don't get why people have to act like there's One True Kind of Gaming and other experiences don't matter. I play a lot of different games because I want a lot of different experiences, and as somebody in her 40s I'm really not interested in proving my skills or validity to anybody.

The acrobatics going on here to justify people trying to say some games are objectively bad rather than just "I don't like thing" is part of why I just don't participate in gaming communities anymore. I mean, that and the Nazis.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Visual Pinball Whirlwhind. It is a cool whip.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Well, No Straight Roads was almost great, but the wonky combat is just too unsatisfying to make me feel like replaying it. I am constantly getting hit by things I absolutely cannot see, the parry system is one of the worst ive ever experienced, you will have far better luck spamming the dodge button than trying to time dodges correctly, it just lacks lots and lots of severely needed polish.

The 1010 fight in particular was such a HUUUUGE waste of potential.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 25, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

That and quest markers

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm of two minds on quest markers. I think they have a place on, say, the world map or maybe a minimap (though I'm staunchly anti-minimap also), but they shouldn't be a part of the regular UI. I've been playing Morrowind and I sure would like to have pointers on my full map that tell me where the quest-giver is standing, considering that many of them are slightly off the main path in the middle of butt gently caress nowhere between cities

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My Spidey sense is tingling.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Fur20 posted:

I'm of two minds on quest markers. I think they have a place on, say, the world map or maybe a minimap (though I'm staunchly anti-minimap also), but they shouldn't be a part of the regular UI. I've been playing Morrowind and I sure would like to have pointers on my full map that tell me where the quest-giver is standing, considering that many of them are slightly off the main path in the middle of butt gently caress nowhere between cities

The thing is games tend to rely on quest markers entirely for playability, and that's where it gets bad. If you're constantly tracking an arrow or whatever on the map/compass, you aren't really taking in much of the actual world or getting sucked into the atmosphere, just adjusting your character so they keep heading straight for the destination - and that gets boring, since you are running through things which are explicitly labelled as irrelevant for several minutes.

In Witcher 3 I downloaded a mod (i think, might've just turned all the hud off) to get rid of all this and while I was immediately more interested in the stuff happening around me, the problem was that there was absolutely no way to know where stuff was other than opening the map and adjusting that way every so often, which is basically the same thing as quest markers but more intrusive.

A game would need to have it's world actually designed with the idea that you should be able to navigate without quest markers from the start, because it gets to a point where the spaces are so big, empty and/or poorly signposted that you can't really get to the important content of the game in a reasonable time without relying on them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

extremely disrespectful thing to say when the voice of Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2 just died

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

extremely disrespectful thing to say when the voice of Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2 just died

Aw poo poo! He did.

RIP, dude was cool.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

roomtone posted:

The thing is games tend to rely on quest markers entirely for playability, and that's where it gets bad. If you're constantly tracking an arrow or whatever on the map/compass, you aren't really taking in much of the actual world or getting sucked into the atmosphere, just adjusting your character so they keep heading straight for the destination - and that gets boring, since you are running through things which are explicitly labelled as irrelevant for several minutes.

In Witcher 3 I downloaded a mod (i think, might've just turned all the hud off) to get rid of all this and while I was immediately more interested in the stuff happening around me, the problem was that there was absolutely no way to know where stuff was other than opening the map and adjusting that way every so often, which is basically the same thing as quest markers but more intrusive.

A game would need to have it's world actually designed with the idea that you should be able to navigate without quest markers from the start, because it gets to a point where the spaces are so big, empty and/or poorly signposted that you can't really get to the important content of the game in a reasonable time without relying on them.

Oh no I'd hate to miss all the exciting bushes and trees littered about!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fur20 posted:

I think the quest markers should be integrated into the game. Like if you want to see the quest markers in-game instead of on a map you have to cast a divination spell or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

so? just travel to the outer planes and pick him up again

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

I think the quest markers should be integrated into the game. Like if you want to see the quest markers in-game instead of on a map you have to cast a divination spell or something.

I cast, look at map

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Instead of quest markers they should bring back the video game phone tips hotlines. So we can learn the tricks of the real video game masters.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Witcher 3 ruined video games.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

neato burrito posted:

Really? REALLY? That's your tipping point?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Warios doing the mini snaps.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sebmojo posted:

I cast, look at map

It fizzled, you’re looking at a tavern receipt

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

I'm on board with this, Find Person and Know Known Knowledge are perfectly good divination spells for a school that typically gets a bunch of yawn-worthy garbage, and then one ridiculously overpowered capstone like a spell that makes every attack miss you automatically. Something that shows quest markers for 30 seconds is perfect. You could even have your Clairvoyances and Future Sights for "unknowable" destinations, and at high levels it'll show you exactly where the advance point is but at lower skill ranks you can only, say, find an npc who knows the info you need.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 26, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Games need to stop doing that poo poo where if you die a couple of times in a row, it brings up a prompt suggesting you lower the difficulty. I'm not doing that, I know it's in the options, don't insult me when I'm already probably annoyed with some cheap poo poo your dumb game did.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Games need to stop doing that poo poo where if you die a couple of times in a row, it brings up a prompt suggesting you lower the difficulty. I'm not doing that, I know it's in the options, don't insult me when I'm already probably annoyed with some cheap poo poo your dumb game did.

it should just say "C'mon bro, get your poo poo together" instead

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

neato burrito posted:

Actually no, that was Morrowind :twisted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd be ok with that. Or just the word lol pasted across the screen.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

neato burrito posted:

:glomp:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Good soup! posted:

:frogout:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Good soup! posted:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

I'd be ok with that. Or just the word lol pasted across the screen.

:youdied:

how is this not a smilie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

you're right

it should just do it silently