Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
toady nerfed aquifers a while back, now there's mostly "light aquifers" that are very easy to get past vs. heavy (old style, much harder). I think light aquifer tiles are more common than heavy by about 50:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You can also filter if you want to make sure you don't have heavy aquifer but I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who uses site searching.

I want better options to increase the levels of volcano prevalence. Gotta have my volcano base folks, that's just how it is

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah a site without a volcano is just, why

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

# of volcanoes is a flat count set in worldgen options, you can just turn it up to 200

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Real dwarves pump magma up, volcanoes are for lazy tree lovin sissies

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

# of volcanoes is a flat count set in worldgen options, you can just turn it up to 200
If I go much past 100 worldgen seems to poop itself and take forever to finalize, which may just be the fortunes of war. Maybe I will set it to 200, Elves be damned.

You also get a lot of island volcanos. I never tried such areas, do you still get the generic caravans or migrant waves on an island?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IIRC you still get migrants and caravans from your own civ if it's close enough, but nothing else. No invasions ever unless gobbos/enemies are on the same island (you still get megabeasts though) and no caravans other than your civ's. You also can't send out any raids. If your civ isn't pretty close then you'll never get any migrants or caravans at all (except the two hardcoded migrant waves).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, I always do that, but I'd still like it as a search option

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Check out DFhack's advanced site finder - would you like a lava tube in the first cavern layer? Looking for specific ores? Minimum number of nearby necromancer towers?
E: maybe you mean integrated for the steam version

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

Right right. There's a lot of dfhack stuff that should be integrated for Steam.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Check out DFhack's advanced site finder - would you like a lava tube in the first cavern layer? Looking for specific ores? Minimum number of nearby necromancer towers?
Yeah I mean if they're in the guts of things anyway, now would be the time. Someone post that on the OF or something. (DwarF?)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the trick is getting volcanoes to spawn in otherwise flat terrain

Flesh Forge posted:

Check out DFhack's advanced site finder

yeah this thing's loving amazing, I revisited the game recently after not playing since before it existed and was blown away

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It's pretty easy to remove aquifers out of the game with like notepad, I haven't done it in years but it's just a token.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah a site without a volcano is just, why

lava pump systems are for real dwarves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
lava pumps are for motherfuckers with personal access to a Cray EX

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
One of my favorite forts ever, waaaaaaay back before the military/hospital changes scared me away (I have just been not able to grog the new systems in the slightest, mostly from lack of concentrated effort, but I just don't know where to start, looking forward to trying again come steam release), was an almost perfectly flat desert with a flat volcano smack dab in the center. Built a castle made almost entirely out of glass directly over it. And yes, of course, it was wired for the sections over the tube (a prison/zoo) to fall into the tube on lever throw.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My first migrant wave included a legendary weaponsmith. Shockingly, he turned out *not* to be a vampire. And this fort has access to magnetite and marble. One day's work by this guy and a furnace operator is all I'll ever need to buy out every caravan, a single masterwork serrated steel disc is worth like 5000 dwarfbucks.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Toadyone posted:

Carolyn finished a lot of new tree art, so I switched gears to implement the code changes need for that. This means: wood colors, autumn leaves, flowers, and fruit! We'll have some more pictures ready in a few days - for now, here's a look at the midautumn leaves with different wood colors.

(edit for being fool enough to try bbcode on the phone)

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 12, 2022

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hempuli posted:

That singular track is really great, and learning that Toady composed it himself made it even greater!

I started learning guitar just to learn the df track :banjo:

It's kinda hard

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Awwww :3:

https://twitter.com/theothertuklus/status/1548046076153700353?s=20&t=PuTAciuZzfwj7GmIC-WCRg

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Threetoe posted:

Everything is beginning to coalesce, to congeal, to coagulate. All that's left is the detritus that is required to bring us to the starting line, waiting for the crack of the pistol. What does that mean? It means that I took a creative writing class in college.

We have reached the point that squashing the last of the bugs is as much of the focus as finishing the menus and tutorials. It means that all we have left is to polish this sucker and we can finally sprint to the end. But we aren't there quite yet. Just a little longer.

In the mean time, here is an interview we did with Blind, featuring Tarn and I, plus questions from Tekkud!

(For reference, Blind is the guy who does a lot of DF streaming, the one who's running Longdeath, the fort that's supposed to last 1000 years, and Tekkud does all kinds of tutorial videos on youtube, managing stockpiles and other useful stuff)

I dunno, I'm excited. It sounds like they're reaching the beginning of the end

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Christmas present release maybe?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
They said we can expect it in fall

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
played my first game of DF in a few years

year two comes around and I get my first siege: ~20+ zombies, and i only have one squad of copper-armed dwarves with a couple suits of armor between them. but i can pull everyone inside, lock down the doors, and hunker down while I prepare trap rooms or something

the wiki says a lot about how nasty an undead siege is, but it doesn't mention that the siege can come with kobold thief zombies who unlock your doors and let the whole horde in

now i'm playing my first reclaim mode game in a few years

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
This is why I am a shill for Big Drawbridge. Not only can you drop people down holes, but they can't be picked by kobolds, living or otherwise.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pickled Tink posted:

This is why I am a shill for Big Drawbridge. Not only can you drop people down holes, but they can't be picked by kobolds, living or otherwise.

Just don't forget to set it to close and not retract.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

ToadyOne posted:

As we're trying to figure out the final shape of the release, we ultimately have to make some decisions about Classic, Adventure mode, and Arena mode, as we've been discussing here and elsewhere for the last months. Before doing that, I thought I'd take a good stab at Classic and get a better feeling for how long it would take to do the conversion. This required entering a semi-conscious data entry state. After days of grinding away at a 120KB txt file, I ended up just finishing a whole preliminary look.

Preliminary classic unit sheet

Preliminary classic creature list

All of the new menus are converted - the tooltips are essential for the small buttons of course, and we have those. Looking at these screens, obviously there's more that needs to be done and some of the glyph choices are Questionable (it was hard enough keeping my eyes open after doing ~2000 entries.) But on the plus side, it looks like we'll have a Classic release on the website at-or-around the initial launch, and every one of these glyphs is also easily moddable in the txt if you want to make different choices. As a bonus, in the Premium version you can flip between graphics and Classic with a simple settings option during play without having to reload.

Over in Adventure land, the community consensus was that pushing it to post-launch is acceptable, and we're going to take that route - it'll save us months (and months) of pre-launch time, which we need to do at this point. Don't worry - I'm a big adv mode fan and it's not going anywhere, we just need to get the launch together after these several years. Arena mode is still undecided - it's really important for testing and modding, but another chunk of time. Maybe I'll have another good half-conscious run on it as with Classic here, though it requires some art etc. so I can't just grind myself through it ha ha.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Wolfechu posted:

As a bonus, in the Premium version you can flip between graphics and Classic with a simple settings option during play without having to reload.

Yes! I was wondering about this for a long time, very happy to hear the Steam version will have both options easily available.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I don't think Toady 100% knew whether it'd be possible before the last 24 hours

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Interesting to see that fortress mode is actually getting prioritised over adventures, when it's always felt like toady did the opposite.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Well, it's not called Dwarf Goes Hiking in the Woods!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pharnakes posted:

Interesting to see that fortress mode is actually getting prioritised over adventures, when it's always felt like toady did the opposite.

In a way though, I feel like that gave a lot of the fortress mode it's flavor.

One of the things missing from every competitor is the sheer detail that goes into drat near everything from dwarves to engraving. Even if most of it really doesn't matter that much, looking at a dwarf and seeing family connections and an actual personality listed out beats generic colonist #2344

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I don't know if I am strong enough to wait until the release to have a weeklong dwarf binge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Capntastic posted:

I don't know if I am strong enough to wait until the release to have a weeklong dwarf binge.
Rhymes with orange!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Nessus posted:

Rhymes with orange!

…lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deki posted:

One of the things missing from every competitor is the sheer detail that goes into drat near everything from dwarves to engraving. Even if most of it really doesn't matter that much, looking at a dwarf and seeing family connections and an actual personality listed out beats generic colonist #2344

most of that stuff originated in the early period when fortress mode was the focus. adventure mode features have certainly added a lot to fortress mode too over the years but in a lot of ways the stuff people love about fortress mode has been very stagnant for a long time. it was fine for a few years but eventually i found it kind of tiresome, glad to see fort mode getting actual attention

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What are the "[prefix] metal" materials suggested by the forge, like "glowing metal" and "dark metal" and are they included in the game? If so, where? The only non-regular metals I've ever encountered in vanilla were adamantine and divine metal.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Tias posted:

What are the "[prefix] metal" materials suggested by the forge, like "glowing metal" and "dark metal" and are they included in the game? If so, where? The only non-regular metals I've ever encountered in vanilla were adamantine and divine metal.

You must dig deeper

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Deki posted:

Most competitors can’t survive having DF-style frame rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Tias posted:

I think those are just some of the variants of divine metals.