Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1551662761242943488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dumidyeypee/status/1551731051575136257?t=FabEsJDzMvRSz1HbSCVULQ&s=19

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

theres a bakery here that does cinnamon rolls without icing and it's pretty drat good. don't have them very often, though. gotta maintain my girlish figure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

R. Guyovich posted:

theres a bakery here that does cinnamon rolls without icing and it's pretty drat good. don't have them very often, though. gotta maintain my girlish figure

same in shenzhen. seen em there but never tried them. they look good enough

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AmbLiuXiaoMing/status/1551727481975103488

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It would be an objectively terrible decision w/r/t starting WW3 but it would be really funny if "shot down by the chinese" was part of Pelosi's biography.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the chinese are too smart to shoot down pelosi. why would you take down someone who single-handedly renders the government of your main geopolitical rival completely ineffectual?

doesn't the uk have like literally four nuclear subs? even if they sent every single one of the fuckers i doubt that you could call it a fleet even being as charitable as possible

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

the chinese are too smart to shoot down pelosi. why would you take down someone who single-handedly renders the government of your main geopolitical rival completely ineffectual?

doesn't the uk have like literally four nuclear subs? even if they sent every single one of the fuckers i doubt that you could call it a fleet even being as charitable as possible

OK, but there are at least three admirals on each sub!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fart simpson posted:

same in shenzhen. seen em there but never tried them. they look good enough

i generally don't get them now because if i want to use my calorie/carb allotment on baked goods there's a million beijing specialties i haven't tried and new places to try them in

驴打滚 or 紫米年糕 from a place that's been making them for decades or centuries is going to be much, much better than even the best western style bakery imo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God between that tweet thread about how much national GDPs reflect the actual productive economy and their sad little navy it's really amazing how completely hollowed out the modern UK is. There's no "there" there, they don't make anything, they don't have that many resources, their military sucks, and so on. They're really just coasting on the surplus they stole from their colonies and the fact that they speak English. They're the failsons of history.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

God between that tweet thread about how much national GDPs reflect the actual productive economy and their sad little navy it's really amazing how completely hollowed out the modern UK is. There's no "there" there, they don't make anything, they don't have that many resources, their military sucks, and so on. They're really just coasting on the surplus they stole from their colonies and the fact that they speak English. They're the failsons of history.

faildads actually

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China has already talked to wsj and reuters abput responding to Pelosi visit, that means China has talked to major western media and made the world pay attention. They are basically keep adding chips on the table for this hand. I am reading this as the military response is ready.

If Pelosi is coming on a business jet, China probably will send war planes to block the way; if Pelosi take a commercial airline secretly, China probably will test new missiles over Taiwan island, like the 95 cross strait crisis.

So, most likely outcome is Pelosi chicken out and US send a high position military officer to save face.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

unwantedplatypus posted:

It would be an objectively terrible decision w/r/t starting WW3 but it would be really funny if "shot down by the chinese" was part of Pelosi's biography.

I assume they’ll just fly PLA aircraft near Taiwan or maybe the airport Pelosi’s plane lands at and then call it a day. Also US-China relations will take a dive

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

i'm catching up with the story, and the white house is (reportedly) talking her down. i dunno. newt gingrich visited in 1997 when he was a speaker, so i assume shooting nancy out of the sky is probably not going to happen.

i know there's that thing now to find random hotheads on the internet and translate their comments as like a propaganda thing, but i saw a funny comment on guancha that a fighter plane should follow her to taiwan, and after having a big air battle with the taiwan air force, should bomb the runway so that she can't take off again. not even shoot her down, but just strand her there. you're not going anywhere nancy... :colbert:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
pretty bleak, though, i gotta say. the democratic party leader in congress is on the same page here as newt gingrich in the 90s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

there's no reason for the speaker of the house to be doing this, she's just an obstinate geratric type that wants to create an international incident basically on a personal whim

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

nervously laughing as the octogenarians with one foot in the grave keep trying to ignite world war 3

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Pelosi is given citizenship of Republic of China and settles in Taipei city.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Jul 26, 2022

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

You can't rule out London as the place to develop and test exciting new ways to do financial crimes. It's basically subsidizing the rest of the country

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm catching up with the story, and the white house is (reportedly) talking her down. i dunno. newt gingrich visited in 1997 when he was a speaker, so i assume shooting nancy out of the sky is probably not going to happen.

'97 china was still powering up its SSJ transformation tho. today's china is SSGSS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

nervously laughing as the octogenarians with one foot in the grave keep trying to ignite world war 3

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Redirect her plane to Beijing and have her come back as a Maoist

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

stephenthinkpad posted:

China has already talked to wsj and reuters abput responding to Pelosi visit, that means China has talked to major western media and made the world pay attention. They are basically keep adding chips on the table for this hand. I am reading this as the military response is ready.

If Pelosi is coming on a business jet, China probably will send war planes to block the way; if Pelosi take a commercial airline secretly, China probably will test new missiles over Taiwan island, like the 95 cross strait crisis.

So, most likely outcome is Pelosi chicken out and US send a high position military officer to save face.

quote:

The U.S. military is devising options for protecting Pelosi’s delegation, who—as is normal procedure for congressional delegations to Taiwan—would be flying on a military plane. The measures under consideration include moving aircraft carriers or sending fighter planes for close air support. That, in turn, could be misinterpreted by the Chinese side as an aggressive rather than a defensive measure.

no ones flying commercial

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Good morning. Doomsday morning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I am parking my aircraft carrier in your driveway DEFENSIVELY

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You don't want to drive your carrier too close to the enemy radars and land based aircraft.. Last time a US carrier went through the Taiwan strait was in the Bush era. I don't remember which Bush.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Turtle Watch posted:

Good morning. Doomsday morning.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

You don't want to drive your carrier too close to the enemy radars and land based aircraft.. Last time a US carrier went through the Taiwan strait was in the Bush era. I don't remember which Bush.

do u liek mines

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The FAILING New York Times headline:

U.S. Officials Grow More Concerned About Potential Action by China on Taiwan

buried in the eighth paragraph:

quote:

U.S. officials say they are not aware of any specific piece of intelligence indicating the Chinese leadership has decided to move soon on Taiwan.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thats not candy posted:

no ones flying commercial

lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
S. Korea should be 'cautious' in deciding on joining U.S.-led chip alliance: ICT minister

This is actually pretty big news that nobody is talking about. US wants SK to join the "Chip 4" alliance which is basically an anti-China fab alliance, except 60% of SK's semiconductor sales goes to China. So US is giving SK a deadline of end of August to give an answer.

This Yoon guy is pro US, but Korean Chaebol is serious business. If he insist on SK joining the hip4 in defiance of Samsung and SK Hynix, he will soon find himself in a Korean cult scandal. I think ultimately US has to lower the "chip4" standard in order to include S. Korea. Maybe allow the SK companies to decide themselves or something.

But it would be pretty funny if SK publicly announce they are not joining the "Chip4". What an egg on Biden's face. It would like call your team "Fantastic Four", you pencil your wife and your brother-in-law in your team but you can't get the rock guy to join.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/cgmeifangzhang/status/1551458280664440832

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

S. Korea should be 'cautious' in deciding on joining U.S.-led chip alliance: ICT minister

This is actually pretty big news that nobody is talking about. US wants SK to join the "Chip 4" alliance which is basically an anti-China fab alliance, except 60% of SK's semiconductor sales goes to China. So US is giving SK a deadline of end of August to give an answer.

This Yoon guy is pro US, but Korean Chaebol is serious business. If he insist on SK joining the hip4 in defiance of Samsung and SK Hynix, he will soon find himself in a Korean cult scandal. I think ultimately US has to lower the "chip4" standard in order to include S. Korea. Maybe allow the SK companies to decide themselves or something.

But it would be pretty funny if SK publicly announce they are not joining the "Chip4". What an egg on Biden's face. It would like call your team "Fantastic Four", you pencil your wife and your brother-in-law in your team but you can't get the rock guy to join.

why u throw chip4 lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
if Pelosi visits China should go Killmonger and start arming Native reservations

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1551931797428387840?s=20&t=usvVNMfjEwduqCGygOuHEg

Serf
May 5, 2011

drat failures

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

that stinks. I wonder if/when China is gonna aerosolize the stratosphere to increase albedo

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

years ago i read something by a crank climate scientist who said all the IPCC projections were far too conservative and that the climate was going to worsen drastically because the carbon in the atmosphere would start a feedback loop much quicker than the IPCC predicts which would then cause the earth to become similar to venus within a few decades, and that any action on climate was probably too late by the 90s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's called the hockey stick effect, or also the clathrate gun: global warming "unlocks" reservoirs of greenhouse gases that were previously frozen, which suddenly kicks global warming into much higher gear than a steady drumbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

papua new guinea has been having an election, and things look to be getting violent

https://news.pngfacts.com/2022/07/png-army-takes-control-of-port-moresby.html

quote:

The National Security Advisory Committee (NSAC) is meeting at 3pm today to discuss not only the Port Moresby issue, but other issues that have disrupted the electoral process right across the country.

PM Marape will address the nation through a press conference right after the NSAC meeting.

“We are on top of all these issues,” he said.

“By tonight, or tomorrow, there will be a curfew.

“Those who want to continue to cause disturbances to counting, as well as to the innocent society at large, will face the full force of the law.”

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/471570/authorities-describe-png-violence-as-disturbing-inhuman

quote:

It was just the latest in election related or tribal violence during the voting, which was into the last days of counting, with the writs expected to be returned by Friday.

The National newspaper reported further violence between warring tribes near Porgera claimed seven lives, taking the death toll there to 25 in a week.

election results are going to be announced on friday, violence is probably likely then too. this violence doesn't seem all that much worse than it was during the last election in 2017, which is to say this doesn't look like some kind of color revolution, government overthrow, or impending coup or anything, but still not great.