Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
[martin luther king voice] let denial ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
no grain no life

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[stalin voice]: woah look at these grain prices... that's an absolute steal!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
no pain no grain

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
[ricky martin voice] he'll make you take your clothes off and go dancing in a ton of pain
he'll make you live a crazy life but he'll take away your grain
like a bullet to your brain
come on!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://twitter.com/Bogdan__Oliver/status/1547406102580629507

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

should post the original article since it contains some pretty good sources people can actually look at if they want to get a better understanding of why the Holodomor is a politically hot topic (while less so as a topic of historical study)

https://yasha.substack.com/p/holodomor-and-the-erasure-of-jewish

quote:

In my last big installment, I wrote about my grandmother’s Ukrainian shtetl and my family’s lost history of pogroms. In this installment, I want to write about another big mystery that hangs over that branch of my family: Why did my grandmother Rosa and the rest of her relatives suddenly flee the shtetl and head south to Crimea.

This was in 1933, a decade after she and her parents had already survived multiple waves of pogroms. If the pogroms weren’t enough to send them packing, what happened in those first few years of the 1930s? And they didn’t just leave and go to some nearby big industrializing city, like was normal at the time. They left for Crimea. The question is: Why? The answer: No one in the family knows. This part of our history is completely missing from the oral record.

For a while now I’ve wanted to try to reconstruct what happened. But I wasn’t sure where to start. We simply don’t have any family stories or documents that could have provided even a hint at what happened. No one from that generation — not my grandmother, not my great-grandmother — talked about it with my mother. It’s as if there’s a cloud of silence that hung over that episode — as if there was something about it that no one wanted to discuss. Now I think I know why.

Since I had no personal family information, I delved into the problem the only way I knew how: by looking at the local context. What was happening in their region at the time? What were the bigger events taking place in Soviet Ukraine?

Now I think I know why the fled the shtetl: It was the horrible famine that was raging in Soviet Ukraine at the time.

I admit the proof I have is meager and circumstantial. Things align. But I could be wrong. But that doesn’t even matter that much. Because as I pieced this history together, I stumbled onto something much bigger than just my family story — something that’s surprisingly relevant to the Ukrainian politics and mythologizing that’s happening today. It has to do with the Holodomor. And in particular: the erasure of Jewish victims from the Ukrainian famine genocide narrative.

My family on my grandmother’s side is from Central Ukraine — from a few shtetls about 120 miles south of Kiev. While trying to learn the history of the particular shtetl where I think my grandmother was born, I found a Ukrainian encyclopedia entry that mentioned the village was hit by famine in 1932-1933. As it explained: “A memorial sign was erected to the victims of the Holodomor in the village cemetery in 1991.” I asked my mom if she knew anything about it and she shook her head. No, she had no idea. No one in the family told her about any famine from where they were from.

It might seem strange that no one said anything about it. Even if my family had enough to eat back then, they must have at least seen people starving. It would have been hard not to notice. The famine killed at least several million people. Starving people from the countryside swarmed the big cities, where people were also starving. The army was even brought out to prevent the flood of miserable people that was clogging the big centers.

But then, my family’s silence is not so surprising. As I wrote before, it may be hard for us to understand in this age of oversharing and our constant focus on trauma and micro-aggressions and PTSD, but that old generation generally kept quiet about the horrible things they had to endure. What was the point of picking at the scabs and reliving the horrors of the past? How could it possibly help? It just wasn’t done. And about the famine, people had an additional incentive to keep quiet: politically it was taboo. The topic was censored.

My grandmother’s family didn’t farm. Like most Jews, they were small time merchants, lumpen capitalists that dealt in bread and grain out of their stalls. They had no power. So if grain was suddenly in short supply, like it was in in 1932 and 1933, they would have suffered along with the Ukrainian peasant farmers who produced the stuff. But there were Jewish farmers — not many, but they existed. And they suffered right there along with the Ukrainian peasants.

In his history of Soviet Jews, Felix Kandel — who was one of the writers behind the cult cartoon Soviet Nu, pogodi! back in the Soviet days — lays out some of what was going on:

quote:

During the “Holodomor” of 1932-1933, the biggest victims were in Ukrainian villages. The famine did not bypass their neighbors, Jewish farmers. Many Jewish collective farms were included in the list of the Council of People's Commissars of Ukraine as the most affected by the famine. Among the areas with the highest mortality was the Kalinindorf Jewish National Region. Outside the collective farms, in the cities and towns of Ukraine, there lived a huge number of Jewish artisans who worked for the rural population — tailors, shoemakers, tinsmiths, carpenters and blacksmiths; With the onset of famine, the orders of the surrounding farmers ceased, and the traditional delivery of products to the small-town bazaars also ceased. Now everyone was starving, and official documents of that time confirmed this.

Who was to blame for the famine?

It’s all politicized and muddy now. But as I understand it, all the credible history points to a hybrid reason: several years of bad weather and bad harvests were made much worse by the Soviet Union’s forced collectivization and industrialization campaigns. As a result there was simply not enough grain available and actual crop yields were much lower than official predictions — and yet Soviet officials, frequently ignorant of the facts and bent on growth and wrenching Soviet agriculture into the glorious industrial age, would not revise their plans and blamed the lack of grain on class enemies and saboteurs and dealt with them severely and harshly.

As historians like Stephen Wheatcroft have argued, declassified archives show that Soviet accelerationism and the harsh methods used to put it into place were in a big way to blame for the hunger and death that spread because of it. But weather played a big role, too. And Ukraine wasn’t the only place where it happened this way. There was even more deadly famine in Kazakhstan at the same time triggered by a very similar mix of causes.

And this wasn’t Ukraine’s only famine during that time. From the World War I through the Russian Civil War and into the 1920s, Ukraine and Russia went through several waves of famines and food shortages, which were made much worse by the epidemics that come riding in on the back of hunger. So the famine of 1930s wasn’t some total anomaly that came out of nowhere. And it wasn’t some sort of devious plot.

But that’s not how the famine is presented to the general public today.

Here in America and in Canada and in Ukraine, the prevailing popular view on it is tightly wound up with Cold War politics, anticommunism, and nationalist narratives coming out of emigre communities. In those circles, the 1932-1933 famine isn’t seen as a horrible but unexpected product of political and environmental factors, it’s presented as a deliberate campaign of genocide — a genocide engineered by Stalin and the Soviet state to wipe out ethnic Ukrainians and to destroy the Ukrainian nation. This view of nationalist history is what’s usually meant when people talk about the Holodomor these days. Some Ukrainian sources claim extraordinary numbers of Ukrainian — 7 million or even 10 million dead, which would make it almost twice as bad as the Holocaust and give Ukrainians genocide supremacy over the Jews.

There’s a big scholarly consensus that very strongly disputes this view. Historians have looked into Soviet archives, but no one’s yet found any evidence that there was ever a plan or a desire by Stalin or his high command to wipe out the Ukrainian people. According to Wheatcroft, Even Robert Conquest — who popularized the genocide theory in his book Bitter Harvest — softened his stance somewhat when new archival research was done after the end of the Soviet Union.

Still, the genocide theory is increasingly seen as the definitive history of what happened. You’ll find statements like “deliberate starvation of the Ukrainian nation” pumped by think-tanks like the Atlantic Council, the policy brain of NATO, Inc. And in Canada, home to a powerful Ukrainian nationalist diaspora, the Holodomor is officially enshrined as a deliberate act of genocide: “deliberately planned and executed by the Soviet regime under Joseph Stalin to systematically destroy the Ukrainian people’s aspirations for a free and independent Ukraine” is how the law that codified a Holodomor day of memory puts it. Naturally Chrystia Freeland — everyone’s favorite deputy prime minister of Canada — constantly talks about it.

What’s gross about a lot of the famine-as-planned-genocide narratives being pumped out by Ukrainian nationalists is how many of them are suffused with antisemitism — the belief that that Jews were at the center of using famine as a way of exterminating ethnic Ukrainians. Various scholars have pointed this out, including John-Paul Himka — who just so happens to be Chrystia Freeland’s uncle.

As John-Paul wrote in 2009, “Blaming the Jews for the Holodomor is part of the entire mentality of zhydokomuna [translation: “kike-communism” —YL], the identification of Jews with communism, that pervades the Ukrainian nationalist discourse and mindset. This is an idea that is considered respectable in the Ukrainian diaspora mainstream media, such as The Ukrainian Weekly.” He gives all sorts of examples of the underlying antisemitism that creeps into the Holodomor story. It comes out Ukrainian emigre communities, Ukrainian historians, and even the Ukrainian government. It’s all-pervasive. In one of his papers, John-Paul reprinted a photo he took in Lviv of a memorial sign that blamed the famine directly on “kike-commissars.” Yep, the Jews did it! drat kikes! It was just hanging there in public.

I’ve known about the antisemitic aspect of the Holodomor Industry from reading up on Ukrainian diaspora politics over the years. It was compartmentalized in my mind. But when I came across the detail about the famine hitting the region where my family was from and then connecting that to the fact that they had inexplicably fled from to Crimea at the exact same time…it made me think.

Jews made up a significant part of Ukraine at the time. What happened to them during the famine — during this supposed genocide that was aimed purely at wiping out the Ukrainian people?

There is just no way Jews didn’t also suffer during the famine. They lived in cities and small communities in regions hit hardest by food shortages. They were also swept up in this brutal tragedy. They suffered greatly and many died. In short: Jews were also victims.

I’ve looked around and there’s a bit of scholarly work on this subject, but it’s all very minor and fringe. As it stands, it’s mostly a forgotten part of Jewish history — left out by all sides. The Ukrainian nationalists and anti-communinist Cold Warriors don’t want to talk it because it would deflate their evil Soviet genocide narrative. And on the Soviet side it’s completely missing for obvious reasons: the famine itself was a totally censored topic. That’s why I think my family in Leningrad probably never talked about. Better to keep quiet. What’s the point of bringing up old wounds, especially politically dangerous ones.

So the effect has been total erasure. Aside from maybe being blamed as perpetrators of the famine, Jews simply don’t exist in the popular famine narrative. Even Jews themselves don’t know much about it anymore.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jul 14, 2022

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

someone please repost the “letter from camp” holodomor song someone here wrote i would like to read it again.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
stalin to ukraine (1931): Uhhh.... if you like your grain, you can keep it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dreylad posted:

This view of nationalist history is what’s usually meant when people talk about the Holodomor these days. Some Ukrainian sources claim extraordinary numbers of Ukrainian — 7 million or even 10 million dead, which would make it almost twice as bad as the Holocaust and give Ukrainians genocide supremacy over the Jews.

uh, didn't 12 million people die in the holocaust?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Nanomashoes posted:

Koos Group posted:

Since Leon is a Jew, I think it's reasonable to listen to what he has to say about the greatest tragedy that's ever befallen his people. I've also been considering that, since some like him say zero died, and others say six million did, we should look in the middle where truth usually lies, and consider 3 million to be D&D's official figure. If you want to say more or fewer than that perished, you must provide extensive citations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

sounds like Marxist propaganda op

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a holodomer sounds like what you call someone who is addicted to the holodome, which is where most of the sex happens in the future

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I just don't think we should allow Holocaust denial in our forum. Let's not sink to D&D's level.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Nanomashoes posted:

I just don't think we should allow Holocaust denial in our forum. Let's not sink to D&D's level.

click the quote. it's from within cspam. the forum is already listing

this thread is the one lifeboat we have

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

those pesky Jews did the Holodomor. Ukrainians should get control of Israel as reparations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nanomashoes posted:

I think 6 million is the number for Jews. Wiki is giving me a further 11 million killed for the broadest definition.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Weka posted:

I think 6 million is the number for Jews. Wiki is giving me a further 11 million killed for the broadest definition.

Most of the victims of the Holocaust were Soviet citizens, which is an inconvenient fact the west would rather nobody draw attention to. Remember, nobody should ever feel sympathy for the Red Menace. The Holocaust was about the Jews, maybe LGBT, autism, and the disabled if you want to be super progressive about it, but absolutely nobody else.

(Ask eastern europe what their stance on the Roma is)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There are a bunch of people who define "the Holocaust" as the murder of 6 million Jews rather than the general mass murder of 11 million people. Those people are dumb and/or Zionists.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm a great scholar of genocides, such as the Hundred Years' Genocide, the Genocide of 1812, World Genocide I, and the American Civil Genocide

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nix Panicus posted:

Most of the victims of the Holocaust were Soviet citizens, which is an inconvenient fact the west would rather nobody draw attention to. Remember, nobody should ever feel sympathy for the Red Menace. The Holocaust was about the Jews, maybe LGBT, autism, and the disabled if you want to be super progressive about it, but absolutely nobody else.

(Ask eastern europe what their stance on the Roma is)

Eastern?

30.5 Days posted:

There are a bunch of people who define "the Holocaust" as the murder of 6 million Jews rather than the general mass murder of 11 million people. Those people are dumb and/or Zionists.

6 + 11

Anyway, I think we're very lucky that Putin isn't as thicc as Stalin so we are much less likely to see a holodomor 2. Plus I think the big spoon has been lost to the mists of time.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Holodomor? I barely even know her!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

In solidarity with the people of Ukraine, GRRM will change the name of the 8 foot tall mentally disabled stable boy to Holodomor in future printings. no one in Westeros will ever forget.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Anyone have strong opinions on The Politics of Genocide by Ed Herman?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

been thinking about it.... what if the holodomor really happened... in the FUTURE?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fabergay egg posted:

been thinking about it.... what if the holodomor really happened... in the FUTURE?
good point. lets go back to the future to find out if it's real or not

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fabergay egg posted:

I like a man with a plan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
honestly surprised the holodomor denial wikipedia page is unlocked

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

honestly surprised the holodomor denial wikipedia page is unlocked

1 ez trick to get an OUN psychopath to sit in an unmarked van outside your house waiting for you to take out your trash

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Xaris posted:

good point. lets go back to the future to find out if it's real or not

holodomer: 2033

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

We probably should have been skeptical of JK Rowling when the Harry Potter spell to make food disappear was "Holodomora"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Retromancer posted:

We probably should have been skeptical of JK Rowling when the Harry Potter spell to make food disappear was "Holodomora"

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

this was when moriarty became sentient and neelix taught him to cook or something right

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
honestly, :gas:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Ewww, we have a Holodomor denier ITT.

Never forget.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paul you say that in every thread

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
thats not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU