Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

saga thoughts: trying to decide whether i want to use viking spearmen or irish/norsegael kerns for my viking levy javelins. the kern models have a more celtic dress/appearance but the spearmen have more armor and shields than most levy units- and idk if shields are appropriate for javelin skirmishers to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Shields are very typical kern equipment, but kerns are usually referred to in post-Norman invasion contexts if that makes a difference for you. They're not exactly difficult things to make though so it's a fair bet that pretty much any troop of the era could find a basic one to use.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Shields are very typical kern equipment, but kerns are usually referred to in post-Norman invasion contexts if that makes a difference for you. They're not exactly difficult things to make though so it's a fair bet that pretty much any troop of the era could find a basic one to use.

Okay didn't know that, the game still refers to the Irish skirmishers as "kerns" though it doesn't really matter. I guess I'll go with the Viking spearmen then, so they have a bit of differentiation from the Norse Gaels who are themed around using Irish slave levies

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

MeinPanzer posted:

Speaking of Wargames Atlantic previewed a new Warring States range (really just an infantry box and a chariot box) a while back that would make a great miniature Terracotta Army:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/blogs/news/new-range-warring-states

I wish I liked Wargames Atlantic more, because they're incredibly productive and are making great niche models at a very affordable price, but I've found their models to be consistently too stiffly posed, blocky, and/or low-detail to be worth buying :ohdear:.

I think their newer stuff is a little better, I've got some of their Persian infantry and they compare pretty well to Victrix's Persians, which I love. I like the Victrix stuff more, and their figures are definitely more versatile, but the Wargames Atlantic stuff isn't bad and I think will look pretty good ranked up with the other plastics.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just noticed that there are grogs there complaining about the moulded plastic flags and not noticing the exact option they are asking for also present :allears:

StashAugustine posted:

Okay didn't know that, the game still refers to the Irish skirmishers as "kerns" though it doesn't really matter. I guess I'll go with the Viking spearmen then, so they have a bit of differentiation from the Norse Gaels who are themed around using Irish slave levies
I've asked a friend who does a lot of reenactment in that period if he has any good references for Irish combat of the time to point you towards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FishFood posted:

I think their newer stuff is a little better, I've got some of their Persian infantry and they compare pretty well to Victrix's Persians, which I love. I like the Victrix stuff more, and their figures are definitely more versatile, but the Wargames Atlantic stuff isn't bad and I think will look pretty good ranked up with the other plastics.

Gazing longingly at Victrix carthaginians as my hand fights itself away from "add to cart"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I went for a giant Victrix haul a couple of months ago as a, uh, reward? for myself and it’s been great fun. Gotta say with the Persians though I’m disappointed they use the same like 4 head wrappings for everyone from the unarmored levies to the cavalry; the armored horsemen at least have some actual helmet options I’ve been spreading around at least.

They’ve been teasing some Scythian / Parthian horse archers lately though which have been looking pretty cool. Apparently Cataphracts on the horizon too.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

If victrix would just release a french light cavalry kit you could do an entire army on just their plastics with nothing else needed, and it’d be great

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lenoon posted:

If victrix would just release a french light cavalry kit you could do an entire army on just their plastics with nothing else needed, and it’d be great

If victrix would just re-release their french infantry so they are up to par with their recent kits it would be amazing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually, does anyone have any good recs for skirmish-level games using victrix ancients with just a box or two per side?

Background: my mom is about to throw a wad of cash at us for my birthday, and we've got twins on the way, so we want to use my birthday gift for some 28mm painting and gamin' in the brief few months of sanity before there is no time or money for plastic toys. Pretty set on Perry french v russians to re-enact our ancient grudge in Sharp Practice, but carthage v rome is on the table as a close second.

We got two decent size CoC 15mm forces painted p dang fast so I believe we can finish painting before the babies come. I believe.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

lilljonas posted:

If victrix would just re-release their french infantry so they are up to par with their recent kits it would be amazing

I agree, the old guard were a bit of a nightmare tbh. It’d be good to get a reissued kit, there’s no reason to do the Grenadiers, Chasseurs and Middle Guard as separate boxes for one, and the flash is spectacular

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually, does anyone have any good recs for skirmish-level games using victrix ancients with just a box or two per side?

Background: my mom is about to throw a wad of cash at us for my birthday, and we've got twins on the way, so we want to use my birthday gift for some 28mm painting and gamin' in the brief few months of sanity before there is no time or money for plastic toys. Pretty set on Perry french v russians to re-enact our ancient grudge in Sharp Practice, but carthage v rome is on the table as a close second.

We got two decent size CoC 15mm forces painted p dang fast so I believe we can finish painting before the babies come. I believe.

Maybe SAGA?

I haven't tried Footsore's Mortal Gods, but it looks like it would suit even smaller forces than SAGA since it's based on Test of Honour:

https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/mortal-gods-rules

This thread has some ideas:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136495.0

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

SAGA is the first game that comes to mind. There's an era-book called Age of Hannibal that covers the Punic Wars. Republic of Rome, Carthage, Gauls, Iberians, Numidians, and Greeks are covered.

If that era appeals to you, Clash of Spears is a very good skirmish game set in the same time-frame/the same armies.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

Maybe SAGA?

I haven't tried Footsore's Mortal Gods, but it looks like it would suit even smaller forces than SAGA since it's based on Test of Honour:

https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/mortal-gods-rules

This thread has some ideas:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136495.0

Mortal Gods is really fun and doesn't take many models, but it does take some additional buy-in since you need to base them very specifically.

I like the game a lot, though, and you can even branch out to mythological creatures if you want to.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Mortal Gods is really fun and doesn't take many models, but it does take some additional buy-in since you need to base them very specifically.

1" round bases.

Even if you don't use that size, the "phalanx" bases are sabots, so you can use whatever you like as long as you balance it on the base; a regular opponent of mine has his hoplites on WAB suqare bases but they work okay.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Warlord's SPQR had a semi-recent edition update as well, if you're looking for something more Warhammer/Mordheim adjacent rules wise, but it's only got the core book currently, which doesn't cover Carthage or pre-Marian Romans, which is a bummer. They haven't said anything about expansions either.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cessna posted:

1" round bases.

Even if you don't use that size, the "phalanx" bases are sabots, so you can use whatever you like as long as you balance it on the base; a regular opponent of mine has his hoplites on WAB suqare bases but they work okay.

Yeah, I was just thinking of the phalanx bases, but you're right, I didn't really think about how they're really just templates you can throw any base you want on.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Also, Too Fat Lardies makes Infamy, Infamy, an Ancients skirmish game covering Rome v. Gaul. They're working on a Rome v Carthage add-on.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
In news that I doubt means anything to anyone on here, Field of Glory: Napoleonic is getting a 3rd edition. There is a lot of changes that make the game clearer, faster and more Napoleonic (skirmishing now actually is a thing as opposed to giving your units "long range"). It's still in beta test but I note the rules now fix the nearly all the issues I complained about to one of the author's.

eg: Troops can now leave entrenchments! You can get cheap crappy commanders who need to be kicked by their corps commander to do something. Skirmish troops now act in their own little shooting round and the winner of that combat gets an advantage in closing on the enemy. Artillery also has it's own shooting round to provide support for the infantry moving up. Probe missions give intelligence that allow you to have knowledge of the enemies strategy. Entrenchments can be used on the attack (I imagine for placing artillery or defenders of your Line of Communications). Lancers are both more dangerous but also more fragile. There's about 20 pages of designer's notes on what and why they changed things.

The firing table is now looking worse and is as clear as the smoke of a battalion of infantry firing all weapons, but otherwise it looks a lot more straight.

Hopefully I can get a game of it and give a battle report.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So I finally caved and bought THIS fantastic drunk Italian mortar crew for my BA platoon.

But now I'm wondering about basing... I don't suppose any of you are aware of anywhere that sells 1/56 scale empty booze bottles and six-packs/crates of alcohol? :v:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Major Isoor posted:

But now I'm wondering about basing... I don't suppose any of you are aware of anywhere that sells 1/56 scale empty booze bottles and six-packs/crates of alcohol? :v:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1055202313/miniature-bottles-pack-of-30-dd-28mm

https://bitsofwar.com/basing-kits-scatter-terrain/1648-transparent-human-bottles.html

(Six packs wouldn't be common in WWII, go with wine bottles.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord

Comstar posted:

In news that I doubt means anything to anyone on here, Field of Glory: Napoleonic is getting a 3rd edition. There is a lot of changes that make the game clearer, faster and more Napoleonic (skirmishing now actually is a thing as opposed to giving your units "long range"). It's still in beta test but I note the rules now fix the nearly all the issues I complained about to one of the author's.

eg: Troops can now leave entrenchments! You can get cheap crappy commanders who need to be kicked by their corps commander to do something. Skirmish troops now act in their own little shooting round and the winner of that combat gets an advantage in closing on the enemy. Artillery also has it's own shooting round to provide support for the infantry moving up. Probe missions give intelligence that allow you to have knowledge of the enemies strategy. Entrenchments can be used on the attack (I imagine for placing artillery or defenders of your Line of Communications). Lancers are both more dangerous but also more fragile. There's about 20 pages of designer's notes on what and why they changed things.

The firing table is now looking worse and is as clear as the smoke of a battalion of infantry firing all weapons, but otherwise it looks a lot more straight.

Hopefully I can get a game of it and give a battle report.

This sounds really great, but I've gotten too spoiled by PDF versions of rulebooks. It's hard to justify ~$70 (shipped) for a rulebook alone. Hopefully v3 comes with a PDF version.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Major Isoor posted:

So I finally caved and bought THIS fantastic drunk Italian mortar crew for my BA platoon.

I always forget that Elite stocks Empress Miniatures here in Aus

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Major Isoor posted:

Shotgunning cans of minestrone

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I started reading the Sharpe novels and of course I now have a new Sharp Practice project

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

alg posted:

I started reading the Sharpe novels and of course I now have a new Sharp Practice project

Entirely the wrong colour though! But seriously, those look great, who are they from?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Captain Theron posted:

Entirely the wrong colour though! But seriously, those look great, who are they from?

Perry plastics: https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/bh1-plastic-british-napoleonic-line-infantry-box-set-36-line-infantry-4-riflemen/

You're kidding about the color right :ohdear:

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I am kidding, it's just that Sharpe wouldn't be caught dead in red after he joined the rifles, green is where it's at! :parrot:
But seriously, nice work, they look great!

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 8, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

He's not a rifleman for the first couple of books!!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Endman posted:

He's not a rifleman for the first couple of books!!

He's a private, corporal, and then sergeant in the Havercakes in the first few!

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 8, 2022

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Looking at starting a few 10mm Ancients projects, and sourcing some STLs is the biggest issue because I’m trying to ensnare some non-historicals folks after they enjoyed trying out GNW stuff. We’ve already gone in on Warprinter’s Hannibal vs Rome stuff, but I’m hoping to find some decent Persians without having to sculpt them myself. Any recommendations for designers, or am I gonna have to make my own?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

3D Breed just completed a Kickstarter for 15mm Greeks and Persians that should scale down nicely - they design their stuff a little extra chunky for FDM and minimal supports, which also lends itself to downscaling.

There's a link to the late pledge on the linked page if you're interested, it's a pretty great deal.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

moths posted:

3D Breed just completed a Kickstarter for 15mm Greeks and Persians that should scale down nicely - they design their stuff a little extra chunky for FDM and minimal supports, which also lends itself to downscaling.

There's a link to the late pledge on the linked page if you're interested, it's a pretty great deal.

Late Pledge is showing up as no longer available for me (sold out), so that’s a bit tough, but these are some great-looking sculpts.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

moths posted:

Not related to Greeks/Ancients, but they also recently finished a KS for Old West figures: outlaws, sheriffs, etc., along with some related bits and pieces of scenery. Judging by the preview pics, they're more realistically proportioned, looking closer to the metal or plastic figures Great Escape Games put out for their western skirmish game. So if you have a hankerin' for some 3D printed cowpokes, I think they still have late pledges available. :clint:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hey I just finished my Persians from 3dBreed and have an ocean of primed Greeks on my desk!

There's also Cromarty Forge who has Romans, Britons, and Gauls mixed in with his Warmaster stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hedningen posted:

Late Pledge is showing up as no longer available for me (sold out), so that’s a bit tough, but these are some great-looking sculpts.

I just got that, too. They've been really cool about stuff on the KS and they might be able to do something for you if you email them

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

moths posted:

I just got that, too. They've been really cool about stuff on the KS and they might be able to do something for you if you email them

I have done so, as the chance for great models outweighs the crassness in asking for cheaper minis. Also holy hell if these turn out well, might see about getting the club to pitch in on the full Roman set.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Painting up some Anglo-Saxon select fyrd for Saga, anyone got some good freehand shield designs for Mercians? Already did one warlord with the yellow dragon

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Hedningen posted:

I have done so, as the chance for great models outweighs the crassness in asking for cheaper minis. Also holy hell if these turn out well, might see about getting the club to pitch in on the full Roman set.

Update on this: it looks like they’re just removing the late pledge, adding the 1-click option for 350 €, and will let me know when things are available.

So! Just slightly too late, and their update puts it a bit out of range. I’ll update if I get any other communication from them, but looks like I’ll need to limit my plans for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

During the campaign, they offered 25% discount on the previous March to Hell collection - so it's likely the next one will offer a similar deal for this one:

I think they're doing Vietnam next, so you might need to wait for the next Ancients one.