Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think if they're a serial killer that targets cannibal rapists then that's chaotic neutral at worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think if they're a serial killer that targets cannibal rapists then that's chaotic neutral at worst

They're a serial killer who eats their victims and sometimes rapes them before killing them.

CitizenKain posted:

As much as I'm kinda bouncing off the first Pathfinder game, WoR really sounds a lot better. I got as far as starting the town and I kinda don't want to bother with it.

I might wait for the Enhanced Edition first. Wrath is a game I run hot and cold on. When the game is good, it's really good. But there's an incredible amount of jank to the game, too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I imagine as you get more high level there are a lot of circumstances where a cannibal rapist serial killer would consider getting out of dodge

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

2house2fly posted:

I imagine as you get more high level there are a lot of circumstances where a cannibal rapist serial killer would consider getting out of dodge

She only leaves of her own volition no matter what if you choose the I AM THE LAW! route.

Otherwise you'll eventually catch her in the act and have to decide what to do. My first game, as an Azata (Chaotic Good spirits of freedom, adventure, friendship, and nature), I killed her on the spot.

"It's just you and me now..." She said, unaware that it was actually her, my PC's pet dinosaur, and her dragon buddy. Azata get a havoc dragon buddy as an extra party member at all times who doesn't take up a party member slot, by the by.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Superman 64 did this as well, so if you want to speedrun it you have to play at some ridiculously low resolution like 128x128 or something.

My Little Thing is that I find it funny that there's no game called Superman 64 but everyone only knows it by that name and not it's actual name (The New Adventures of Superman), because no one gives a poo poo about it.

Edit: lol it's not even called that, it's "Superman: The New Superman Adventures"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That's not even the right title.

On the box it reads "Aventures".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's not even the right title.

On the box it reads "Aventures".

Good god, you're right.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kitfox88 posted:

Gotta love that, Skygunner on the PS2 did something similar except it also dynamically scaled down the resolution as well :allears: there was a cheat code to make it permanently lower res to maintain smooth framerate

I wish Skygunner would get a port to a modern system.

Also a sequel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A weird one for a game I've never played, but wound up watching a Youtube video on and thought was really neat. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions was a PS3/360/Wii game that's mostly famous for what it started than the game itself: it was the first piece of media with multiple different Spider-Men meeting, and the guy that wrote the plot treatment would take that idea on to write the first Spider-Verse comic storyline.

The neat thing about Shattered Dimensions though is that all four Spider-Men are voiced by different actors who played Spider-Man in his various cartoons. Regular 616 Spider-Man is played by Neil Patrick Harris (from the CG MTV cartoon), Spider-Man Noir is played by Christopher Daniel Barnes (from the 90s Fox Kids cartoon), Spider-Man 2099 is played by Dan Gilvezan (from the 80s cartoons), and Ultimate Spider-Man is played by Josh Keaton (from the 00s CW cartoon). That just strikes me as a really cool idea.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vandar posted:

I wish Skygunner would get a port to a modern system.

Also a sequel.

It got a doujin rail shooter by the recetear folk!
That was never localized :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Oh, that's neat. I remember playing a bit of that, but didn't really have the knowledge to appreciate that level of detail. Very interesting in retrospect.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

A weird one for a game I've never played, but wound up watching a Youtube video on and thought was really neat. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions was a PS3/360/Wii game that's mostly famous for what it started than the game itself: it was the first piece of media with multiple different Spider-Men meeting, and the guy that wrote the plot treatment would take that idea on to write the first Spider-Verse comic storyline.

The neat thing about Shattered Dimensions though is that all four Spider-Men are voiced by different actors who played Spider-Man in his various cartoons. Regular 616 Spider-Man is played by Neil Patrick Harris (from the CG MTV cartoon), Spider-Man Noir is played by Christopher Daniel Barnes (from the 90s Fox Kids cartoon), Spider-Man 2099 is played by Dan Gilvezan (from the 80s cartoons), and Ultimate Spider-Man is played by Josh Keaton (from the 00s CW cartoon). That just strikes me as a really cool idea.

Yeah, for a voice actor nut/long-time spidey fan like me that game was a dream. I love when game devs pay attention to voice actor fidelity/consistency like that- like how the '90s Capcom marvel fighting games had the voice actors from the '90s X-Men animated series reprise their roles as their respective characters.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Along the same vein, the old God of War games got Harry Hamlin and Kevin Sorbo to play Perseus and Hercules again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like Stray's division of labor in its controls. Much like Assassin's Creed did it, by dividing controls between foot stuff, hand stuff, interactions, etc, Stray does something similar: Press Triangle to do cat stuff, press Square to do robot stuff, press X to jump, and press Circle to meow. Simple.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Byzantine posted:

Along the same vein, the old God of War games got Harry Hamlin and Kevin Sorbo to play Perseus and Hercules again.

LOL, so they reprised their characters getting slaughtered by a rampaging psychopath? That’s an interesting cameo idea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Brave Fencer Musashi as I never got that far in it before, and it's pretty cute so far. (I never got past the Steam Knight before this playthrough, now I'm at Steamwood being about to explode in 21 ingame hours). It has a great sense of comic timing, like when the princess calls Musashi a "Little Turd" in the opening, her retainer apologises to him while addressing him as "Sir little turd" and then a while later in gameplay time when you finally get access to the menu you see it's calling you "Level 1 - Little Turd" - that's pretty funny. It's a very hard game so far though, so I'm glad I'm emulating it as physical copies are super expensive.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally playing through Peacewalker, which was the only MG game I hadn't played (and that includes Acid and the NES ones). I wasn't expecting it to just be Phantom Pain light, I was under the impression it was something totally different, but this is way better

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Finally playing through Peacewalker, which was the only MG game I hadn't played (and that includes Acid and the NES ones). I wasn't expecting it to just be Phantom Pain light, I was under the impression it was something totally different, but this is way better

I keep trying to play that because there's so much good stuff in it, but the boss fights eventually kill my motivation. I guess they really need multiplayer, but I just don't do that :sigh:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm not a fan of the Metal Gear games, but I really liked the singing vehicu-bots, especially the XXXTREEEEEME half-pipe tank that totes gleams the cube, brah, before making GBS threads out a field of electrode-mines with a dramatic "nah-nah-NAAAAH!" musical sting.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Are you playing the original or the HD version?

(Regardless: more like Piss Wanker am I right?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm not a fan of the Metal Gear games, but I really liked the singing vehicu-bots, especially the XXXTREEEEEME half-pipe tank that totes gleams the cube, brah, before making GBS threads out a field of electrode-mines with a dramatic "nah-nah-NAAAAH!" musical sting.

Funny thing, the Pupa is obviously based on the Shagohod, but it took me way too long to realise the electric weapon is the substitute for Volgin.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep trying to play that because there's so much good stuff in it, but the boss fights eventually kill my motivation. I guess they really need multiplayer, but I just don't do that :sigh:

Yeah, the bosses suck. The storyline ones aren't too bad if you take your time to upgrade your rocket launchers and poo poo, but the post-game ones are a nightmare if you don't have anyone to play with. They were pretty clearly designed with the multiplayer in mind. The worst part about them is that not many people seem to even find them that hard, the advice just being "Use smoke grenades and take out the guys until there aren't any left. :shrug:", but this relies on you having perfect stealth and discounts the fact that the later bosses have something like 30 guys with them. The AI weapons are a bit more fun.

But this is the wrong thread for that. I think that while MGSV is obviously a much more complete game (in terms of gameplay, lol), Peace Walker probably has more charm. The goofy poo poo your guys say, Big Boss saying "YOU'RE FIRED", the zany Zadornov missions, etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, the bosses suck. The storyline ones aren't too bad if you take your time to upgrade your rocket launchers and poo poo, but the post-game ones are a nightmare if you don't have anyone to play with. They were pretty clearly designed with the multiplayer in mind. The worst part about them is that not many people seem to even find them that hard, the advice just being "Use smoke grenades and take out the guys until there aren't any left. :shrug:", but this relies on you having perfect stealth and discounts the fact that the later bosses have something like 30 guys with them. The AI weapons are a bit more fun.

But this is the wrong thread for that. I think that while MGSV is obviously a much more complete game (in terms of gameplay, lol), Peace Walker probably has more charm. The goofy poo poo your guys say, Big Boss saying "YOU'RE FIRED", the zany Zadornov missions, etc.

I liked the boss fights much more than the ones in previous games :(

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm playing the HD version. I've had the disc forever but didn't get to it, I just replay snakeeater every couple of years instead. It's nice to know who half of the MGSV characters are finally

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I liked the boss fights much more than the ones in previous games :(

Are you saying you like the Peacewalker bosses more than The End!?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
The Peace Walker Outer Ops are much better than in MGSV (did they even have them?) PW just has more overall charm and heart to it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Don't skip the Peace Walker cassettes, they're loving hilarious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I love MGSV for its gameplay but yeah, there's a big difference in the tone between the two. Every time I run into stuff like Kaz's burger tapes, I just think how much I want more of that sprinkled through the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When I worked security, I unironically loved Transfarring because I could grind out boards on my night shift. It ruled

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a shame that MGS5 dropped so much of the goofy poo poo, I know you can do some dumb bullshit in gameplay, but the game is so serious otherwise. The Hamburger Tapes™ are about the only intentionally goofy thing in there.

They actually recorded some sound clips of Kiefer Sutherland saying "You're fired!" like with Peace Walker, but they never used them.
Sutherland is probably a big reason why there isn't as much dumb stuff, too expensive to record too much with him, so they only got what they had to. Even then he barely talks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Kiefer Sutherland recorded a lot more dialogue than is actually in the game but Kojima cut it, purportedly because he'd watched Mad Max Fury Road and wanted his main character to be similarly taciturn. Whatever the reason, the effect is that Punished "Venom" Snake ends up coming across as more of a blank slate player avatar than the protagonists of the other games. A cipher, you might say

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Currently playing AC Odyssey, and very much enjoying it. I've been a Greek mythology nerd since I was a kid, so I'm digging the whole setting.

So I was sailing on the far Western edge of the map, hunting ships for a bounty. I was using Ikaros to scout for ships, when he spotted a treasure chest in the middle of nowhere. There wasn't any ruins or sunken ships on the map, so what could it be?

I equipped the Poseidon trident for the Water Breathing, and dove overboard. I dove down, and down, and down some more. The light started dwindling until I could barely see, and still I hadn't reached the chest. Finally, I found the chest on the bottom. I cracked it open, and found 50 x Wood, and a Heavy Bow. Wow, no wonder it had sunk so deeply. Heavy Bow. Ha.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

A bit late to the party but I just finished Control and finally understand why everyone talks about the Ashtray Maze.

From people's reactions outside of spoiler text, I had always assumed it was some sort of clever puzzle - the actual fast-paced combat with the dynamic soundtrack you get instead was a great surprise and a fantastic, fun bit of gameplay.

Oh, and Outer Wilds before that. Everything about it, especially the DLC.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Are you saying you like the Peacewalker bosses more than The End!?

IDK maybe. I tried thinking about it but I breezed through all the games (from Metal Gear up to Metal Gear Solid V The Fatmom Pain back-to-back, having to buy a PS3 just for MGS4 and a PSTV for Portable Ops) so quickly I can't honestly say I remember much.

Veotax posted:

It's a shame that MGS5 dropped so much of the goofy poo poo, I know you can do some dumb bullshit in gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40jpZ20r7VE

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The moment you get to the Shredder boss in Shredder's Revenge and Wu-Tang Clan suddenly guests on the soundtrack is loving rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Kvauxz1DA

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Necrothatcher posted:

The moment you get to the Shredder boss in Shredder's Revenge and Wu-Tang Clan suddenly guests on the soundtrack is loving rad:

The soundtrack to that game fuckin killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWY-IuCcibk

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just maxed all my stats in Brave Fencer Musashi, partially because I felt like some mindless grinding because I've been really worn out from work.

I'll finish the game tomorrow after work. It's been fun so far and I like the low thresholds as it makes levelling less daunting.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, there were a bunch of good musical guests on that soundtrack. Mike Patton doing the theme song was also great.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Star Wars The Force Unleashed: You can inject people with the worst kind of electricity, force lightning, because you are an evil Sith Warrior.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This probably isnt an opinion shared by anyone else but i remember the physics for force unleashed for metals etc were cool and i wish they got used in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Samurai Bringer
I really love the whole game, but there's 3 things I really enjoy

First, the overall gameplay has one of my favorite things - Defeat other characters and Frankenstein yourself a new arsenal from their dropped weapons and armor. Helmet from this guy, which clashes with the armor from that guy, plus the sword of that guy, and spear from other guy. A lot of the swords look different, despite all being "swords", and I'm a sucker for anything that does cosmetics like that.

Second, the sound and music remind me so strongly of old 8 bit games I played as a kid. There's maybe half a dozen tracks in the whole game, but they all work really well.

But I think the thing that is most interesting is the attack/movement builder mechanic. As you defeat enemies, one of the things they can drop are scrolls for different styles of attack. So you get basic sword movements (slash left, right , up and down) but you also get body movements like step forward and jump, and enhancements, like power, wave, and size. So you can make a button press do a slash left, then slash right if you are just starting out. But with a little trial and error, you can make combos that will have your character slash at the guy next to him, run forward in the direction of the next closest target, slash at him, jump up, crash down into the ground and cause an ice explosion, freezing people around you. And there's not really any downside to experimenting. If your attack is not optimized, the worst thing that happens is it uses more power points to use the attack than damage is caused to your enemies. It's inefficient, but still potentially viable.

I really want more games that would have a system like that.