Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not sure they're all the same size. That would probably vary depending on the strength of the Balrog. If we look at dragons for example Ancalagon the Black was so big his death blew up a mountain iirc but Smaug obviously was nowhere near that size.

Ancalagon wasn’t that large and some of the fan art of him is so incredibly stupid.

And speaking of fan art, or official art, what are some GOOD depictions of the Balrog that aren’t the John Howe/Allen Lee to Peter Jackson movies designs which are now wired into my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

hannibal posted:

This is expanded on in the story on the Wizards in Unfinished Tales. IIRC Gandalf (Olorin) is very hesitant to go and is not the leader but Manwe tells him to go anyway.

As I recall Olorin is harbouring fear about Sauron which brings him doubt and it’s for that reason in particular that Manwe encourages him to go.

Saruman always had a confident streak I think, and his travels in the east might’ve been the start of his downfall I think.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My theory about Saruman’s mysterious travels in the East was that he basically went through something similar to Denethor’s character arc of discovering first hand just how strong and innumerable the forces of Sauron were and came back with the belief that the only hope that the Free People’s had was to find the Ring and use it against Sauron. And that led him down the slippery slope of where he eventually ends up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ancalagon wasn’t that large and some of the fan art of him is so incredibly stupid.

And speaking of fan art, or official art, what are some GOOD depictions of the Balrog that aren’t the John Howe/Allen Lee to Peter Jackson movies designs which are now wired into my brain.

The Ted Nasmith Balrog definitely goes more for the Shadow rather than the Flame.

Ian Miller is definitely an acquired taste but his Balrog is very unique. It actually reminds me a lot of the demonic form of Angron from Warhammer 40K.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My theory about Saruman’s mysterious travels in the East was that he basically went through something similar to Denethor’s character arc of discovering first hand just how strong and innumerable the forces of Sauron were and came back with the belief that the only hope that the Free People’s had was to find the Ring and use it against Sauron. And that led him down the slippery slope of where he eventually ends up.

I certainly like this read better than the other obvious one, being "the east is inherently corruptible".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I certainly like this read better than the other obvious one, being "the east is inherently corruptible".

That’s an especially dumb theory due to the fact that we know all the way back in Valinor that Saruman had a hair across his rear end about Gandalf being declared “the last but not the least.” He was already a dick.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s an especially dumb theory due to the fact that we know all the way back in Valinor that Saruman had a hair across his rear end about Gandalf being declared “the last but not the least.” He was already a dick.

Nothing good comes of people who go around with the name "cunning man"

(said the homo sapiens)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hannibal posted:

This is expanded on in the story on the Wizards in Unfinished Tales. IIRC Gandalf (Olorin) is very hesitant to go and is not the leader but Manwe tells him to go anyway.

"Get on the loving boat, Ollie."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rolie Polie Olórin

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

MrMojok posted:

That draft kind of makes it sound like what he was envisioning was a Bakshi-type balrog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc&t=16s

The Balrog shows up later in the Bakshi movie in some stills illustrating Gandalf's narration of their fight, and looks much cooler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEgHjCWeFd0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zopotantor posted:

The Balrog shows up later in the Bakshi movie in some stills illustrating Gandalf's narration of their fight, and looks much cooler.

An extremely frustrating thing with the Baskshi stuff is how good it looks at times. That last shot of them riding the horses is great, e.g. The whole thing ends up being a gigantic what-if.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Hand-drawn animation is one of the most ball-achingly expensive, time-consuming, hardest forms of production ever conceived. Even a company with the size and talent pool of Disney found it onerous. It's no surprise that almost invariably anyone smaller than that who tried it either went bankrupt, had to cut corners and scale back their ambitions, or both.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Imagined posted:

Hand-drawn animation is one of the most ball-achingly expensive, time-consuming, hardest forms of production ever conceived. Even a company with the size and talent pool of Disney found it onerous. It's no surprise that almost invariably anyone smaller than that who tried it either went bankrupt, had to cut corners and scale back their ambitions, or both.

You forgot to mention outsourcing to North Korea.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

Thanks for that, I had totally forgotten those stills. They are indeed cool. Makes the initial version of the balrog look even more ridiculous!

What's the coolest non-movie portrayal of the balrog? Pls post your favorite balrog art.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

MrMojok posted:

Thanks for that, I had totally forgotten those stills. They are indeed cool. Makes the initial version of the balrog look even more ridiculous!

What's the coolest non-movie portrayal of the balrog? Pls post your favorite balrog art.

It's clearly inspired by the movie portrayal, but it's still awesome:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The aforementioned Ian Miller Balrog.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Amazingly, as a balrog buff, I’ve never seen this one before. Looks almost like a combination of MC Escher and HR Geiger.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is close to what I think the text supports

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yeah that’s kinda how I picture it when I read the text.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Arc Hammer posted:

That certainly is a many-thonged whip

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arc Hammer posted:

Whoa! I like this guy’s mane

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

webmeister posted:

That certainly is a many-thonged whip

I think it deserves an upgrade to thongéd

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

euphronius posted:

That’s certainly interesting. So what would Gothmog look like?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gothmog isn’t in lotr.

Well I mean there is a Gothmog but they are a human or an orc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I looked it up and the “fact” Saruman knows Gandalf has a ring of power is from Unfinished Tales so … not really a fact in the context of Lotr imho

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know lol but Gothmog is a balrog but bigger and badder so what would he look like along those lines.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I believe it was Gothmog that was said to be “twice the stature” of an elf.

e: just popped in the Fellowship Blu-ray and by my calculations, Durin’s Bane is as tall as 3.5 Galdalfs therefore he is 75% better balrog than Morgoth

Non-joke e: I really like the larger size of the balrog in the film and some of the art. It just works better as far as inspiring sheer terror, and imagining the thing laying waste to armies.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 27, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

That's not a balrog, that's a valarauko.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A Balrog is never too large. Nor is it too small. It is precisely the size that it means to be.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

That's not a balrog, that's a valarauko.

What's the difference? I thought valarauko was just quenya for balrog?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Staltran posted:

What's the difference? I thought valarauko was just quenya for balrog?

It is. It’s a combination of two words, the words for power and demon, or something like that.

Same for balrog, which is two sindarin words for the same.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Valarauko! There's another contender for Best Tolkien Name, along with Taniquetil, Ancalagon, Alatariel, Rhovanion, Smaug and Ar-Pharazon.
My auto correct did not like any of these

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MrMojok posted:

Non-joke e: I really like the larger size of the balrog in the film and some of the art. It just works better as far as inspiring sheer terror, and imagining the thing laying waste to armies.

It also says something about Gandalf that he can go toe-to-toe against that while looking comparatively ordinary and frail.

I'm not sure what else you could use to convey that idea visually.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

thats cool

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

thats cool

yeah 'a tolkien bestiary' is drat great book

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

id be exaggerating if i said id want an adaptation in that style, because it's just a bit too grotesque to be fitting, but itd be cool to have just a touch of that style, along with tolkiens own restrained style, worked into an adaptation. i guess it will never happen now though

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

id be exaggerating if i said id want an adaptation in that style, because it's just a bit too grotesque to be fitting, but itd be cool to have just a touch of that style, along with tolkiens own restrained style, worked into an adaptation. i guess it will never happen now though

ian miller did some art for bakshi's wizards

eg.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

It is. It’s a combination of two words, the words for power and demon, or something like that.

Same for balrog, which is two sindarin words for the same.

Exactly, but the "lighter" phonetics of the Quenya term seem to connote a certain gracility and elegance in my mind over the Sindarin, which I'd bet was one of Tolkien's goals with the languages. The result is that, to me, they sound like names for different but related beings, or different forms of the same being. The image posted "feels" like a closer fit to the word "valarauko", while Jackson's hulking furnace demon feels like a closer fit to "balrog".

To put it another way, "balrog" sounds like a blunt instrument, "valarauko" sounds like a knife.

Balrog

Valarauko

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Am I correct in interpreting the pronunciation of Valarauko as "Valar-auko"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well the roots are "vala-rauko" so that's how I pronounce it.