Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This review of the last episode is mostly a plot summary: https://www.vox.com/2017/1/16/14279588/sherlock-finale-final-problem-review

To summarise the summary: it's extremely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Moriarty capping himself to ensure Sherlock can't win is an awesome and shocking moment

"As long as I'm alive, you can save your friends. You've got a way out. Well, good luck with that." BLAM

The best part of Sherlock was Moriarty and even shoehorning him into the sister episode couldn't save it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember the bachelor party one being fun when he's drunk and they're showing the dumb little mental annotations on the screen but they're all drunk speak.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I enjoyed it for the first couple seasons but I found myself playing with the internet on the other monitor and absorbing nothing from the later episodes. I remember there being a wedding episode for Watson and Whatsername that was especially bad?

Does anyone wanna go into depth a little bit on what the ending did that ruined it? I thought it was a fun little show for a while.

The big problem with Sherlock, and other Moffat shows, is that it hates you, the viewer. Because you are a dumb baby, and this show is smarter than you. Would you like to know how Sherlock survived the fall? gently caress you, you don;'t get to know, and the show will call you a nerd for wanting an answer. Sherlock will hallucinate a victorian mystery to figure out how Moriaty has come back from the dead, and then that turns out to not even be relevant. And then, like 4 years after he comes back we find out that Moriarty hasn't come back from the dead, and you were a dumb nerd for expecting to find out how he comes back from the dead.

It's awful.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The fact that Sherlock spends its time crafting a mystery and making the viewer care about the mystery and then spent an entire episode devoted to making fun of the people super invested in solving one of it's biggest surprise twists is something that has always stuck with me

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Maybe not a great show anyway, but the American version of Life on Mars was definitely ruined by its ending. I couldn't even believe it was serious at first.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Happy Landfill posted:

The fact that Sherlock spends its time crafting a mystery and making the viewer care about the mystery and then spent an entire episode devoted to making fun of the people super invested in solving one of it's biggest surprise twists is something that has always stuck with me

And then makes the show makes a character in the show super invested in the mystery just so Sherlock can make fun of that nerdy loser one more time to show what the show thinks of people who get invested.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

Or spending multiple episodes over several years about how Moriarty came back from the dead, only to reveal....he didn't, and just recorded a load of silly videos for Sherlock's sister to use in her Saw remake.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The first 2 series of Sherlock hold up imho. s02e02 The Hounds of Baskerville is a fantastic adaption! Even though HBomberguy's video did show me the light, about how it still treated the viewer with a level of contempt from the start, i still liked them. the last two series are atrocious and what we really need is a game of thrones spin off with off-brand fantasy versions of sherlock and watson thank you

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah first two seasons of Sherlock are good. Third is uneven as hell but it has some fun stuff, last season was atrocious, and a complete waste of Toby Jones.

I mean Jesus Christ Sherlock’s sister has magic hypnosis powers that allows her to make people kill themselves and then does the whole Saw thing, my GOD what tripe.

I remember really liking that 19th century in-between ep they did though. I liked that they actually played the characters differently and not just modern characters in dress up.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 25, 2022

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah first two seasons of Sherlock are good. Third is uneven as hell but it has some fun stuff, last season was atrocious, and a complete waste of Toby Jones.

I mean Jesus Christ Sherlock’s sister has magic hypnosis powers that allows her to make people kill themselves and then does the whole Saw thing, my GOD what tripe.

I remember really liking that 19th century in-between ep they did though. I liked that they actually played the characters differently and not just modern characters in dress up.

I thought that in-betweeny episode had some very good bits but then Mary was just future Mary but in the past. Nothing against the actress I just thought she was the least believable part of that episode.

I remember liking that episode with the evil newspaper owner. But I was a sucker for the whole sherlock/mycroft relationship anyway.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drunk in Space posted:

Maybe not a great show anyway, but the American version of Life on Mars was definitely ruined by its ending. I couldn't even believe it was serious at first.

Is it different from the real one?
That it's the afterlife

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought the ending of the U.S. one is it's a hallucination or simulation while they're on a spaceship flying to mars.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
^^^
To expand on this a bit

Taear posted:

Is it different from the real one?
That it's the afterlife

In the US version, it turns out that they're literally astronauts on a mission to Mars. They were in some kind of suspended animation during the journey and had VR simulations to keep their brains active and healthy. Tyler's program hosed up for some reason causing the split in timelines from his original choice of being a cop in 2008. When he wakes up, he sees that everyone else is just a fellow astronaut on the ship. Gene Hunt is actually his dad. Yes I am serious, it's that dumb.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Well. I'm glad I avoided the US one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao at GRRM thinking hate for season 8 was just a toxic internet thing. Part of my confusion over the reaction to 8 was even "normal" viewers thought it sucked when the show had been bad for several seasons already.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 25, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

its funny they try to push the toxic twitter excuse for this show of all shows when brick and mortar stores the world over are still stocked with unsold GoT products that came out around the time of the final season. there is no show with more physical IRL examples of how precisely it went to poo poo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Drunk in Space posted:

^^^
To expand on this a bit

In the US version, it turns out that they're literally astronauts on a mission to Mars. They were in some kind of suspended animation during the journey and had VR simulations to keep their brains active and healthy. Tyler's program hosed up for some reason causing the split in timelines from his original choice of being a cop in 2008. When he wakes up, he sees that everyone else is just a fellow astronaut on the ship. Gene Hunt is actually his dad. Yes I am serious, it's that dumb.

holy poo poo lmao

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

holy poo poo lmao

I actually just watched a clip of it on Youtube to refresh my memory, and I realized I left out the best part: After Tyler wakes up and reacquaints himself with the crew and their real-life personas, they get a message from mission control reminding them about the importance of trying to find genetic material on Mars, i.e. :airquote:life on Mars:airquote:, to which Michael Imperioli's character responds, "This will be one successful . . . gene hunt!" Cue Harvey Keitel's entrance: oh it turns out his real name is Major Tom . . .

It's so ridiculous and on the nose that I guess you could argue it may have been a hallucination on Tyler's part, especially since in the very last scene when he and Keitel set foot on Mars, you see a close-up of Hunt's white loafer on the soil instead of his Mars boot or whatever. They did leave some ambiguity there, but it was still incredibly incredibly dumb and rendered the whole show before it utterly pointless.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Drunk in Space posted:

I actually just watched a clip of it on Youtube to refresh my memory, and I realized I left out the best part: After Tyler wakes up and reacquaints himself with the crew and their real-life personas, they get a message from mission control reminding them about the importance of trying to find genetic material on Mars, i.e. :airquote:life on Mars:airquote:, to which Michael Imperioli's character responds, "This will be one successful . . . gene hunt!" Cue Harvey Keitel's entrance: oh it turns out his real name is Major Tom . . .
You know how in Ashes to Ashes there's a demon who tries to draw the souls to hell? Maybe the hell is having to exist in that universe.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That DICK! posted:

its funny they try to push the toxic twitter excuse for this show of all shows when brick and mortar stores the world over are still stocked with unsold GoT products that came out around the time of the final season. there is no show with more physical IRL examples of how precisely it went to poo poo

Haven't been to the Funko store in Washington in a while because we don't live there anymore, but last I checked it still had a GoT section hanging out with the DC stuff.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

An insane mind posted:

I thought that in-betweeny episode had some very good bits but then Mary was just future Mary but in the past. Nothing against the actress I just thought she was the least believable part of that episode.

I remember liking that episode with the evil newspaper owner. But I was a sucker for the whole sherlock/mycroft relationship anyway.

I'm extra salty about Moriarty because the hallucination episode suggested an actually cool way that he "came back" - it's just copycats or possibly his allies and subordinates, who have adopted his legacy as a cover for all their crimes. That would be a fun challenge for Sherlock - fighting an entire network of criminals, not just one genius mastermind.

I also remebered that the previous episode had Sherlock commiting cold blooded murder in front of TV cameras, and it gets conveniently wrapped up with doctored film footage in like 5 minutes and is never mentioned again. God dammit Moffat.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Haven't been to the Funko store in Washington in a while because we don't live there anymore, but last I checked it still had a GoT section hanging out with the DC stuff.

Our local PLCB is gonna add another half-decade to that kiosk of Johnny Walker Fire and Ice whiskey.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
The people running this show are different from the guys running GoT, so "admitting their mistakes" would be rightly seen as throwing those guys under the bus, all for the sake of folks who think the poor quality of season 8 comes from some kind of curse that still hangs over them

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

An insane mind posted:

Yeah no that ep was good and Toby was great. I just wish he was an overarching villain instead of just the one ep. Scrap the horrendous sister thing and let Toby chew some more scenery.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Pissed right in the fireplace. What a gently caress

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yeah I never got the Sherlock's sister is even smarter but also her smart made her crazy and she wants to kill everyone but actually she's just a girl who wants to be loved because that's how you cure psychopaths. Ffs Moffat.

At least that episode gave my mycroft trying to sacrifice himself all noble like by being a dick. I blubberd.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BiggestBatman posted:

The people running this show are different from the guys running GoT, so "admitting their mistakes" would be rightly seen as throwing those guys under the bus, all for the sake of folks who think the poor quality of season 8 comes from some kind of curse that still hangs over them

Under the bus is the correct location for them, though

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even if a show is 90% good all the way through if the ending is seen as that bad by the general fanbase and casual viewers it often puts a bad lasting impact on the show, or whatever media it is.

If the ending was just okay even it usually turns out fine, satisfying endings often aren’t easy, but it especially hurts shows that have big mystery arcs.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

In the new Snow show it's going to turn out that the Night King was only one of the Night Leaders, the actual really dangerous one is the Night Queen who looks a lot like Arya, which is why the Night King was unprepared for her stabbing him. She looked so much like his sister you see.

You heard that right folks, the Night King is alternate universe Rickon. How do we know that there are alternate universes? Well, Maester Sam is going to make a little mistake reading some of the old texts and is going to open portals. We'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll feel.

Snow, coming soon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

An insane mind posted:

In the new Snow show it's going to turn out that the Night King was only one of the Night Leaders, the actual really dangerous one is the Night Queen who looks a lot like Arya, which is why the Night King was unprepared for her stabbing him. She looked so much like his sister you see.

You heard that right folks, the Night King is alternate universe Rickon. How do we know that there are alternate universes? Well, Maester Sam is going to make a little mistake reading some of the old texts and is going to open portals. We'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll feel.

Snow, coming soon.

When does Sam get his chainsaw hand?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Somehow, Hodor survived.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
George R.R. Martin says he doesn't think 'Game of Thrones' is more 'anti-woman' than history

quote:

"Game of Thrones" creator George R.R. Martin said that he doesn't think that his stories are any more misogynistic than real life or history.

The original HBO series, based on Martin's books, was hit with multiple criticisms of sexism and misogyny due to the way female characters were often treated as sexual objects in the show.

While the spinoff series "House of the Dragon" appears to have less gratuitous sex, the story centers on a civil war that erupts in Westeros to stop a woman, Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, from leading the country.

During a panel for the new series at San Diego Comic-Con Saturday, Martin said that the plot echoes how women were kept out of leadership roles in real history.

"I don't think Westeros is particularly more anti-woman or more misogynistic than real life and what we call history," Martin said, according to Entertainment Weekly.

He added: "I get inspiration from history, and then I take elements from history and I turn it up to 11.' Games of Thrones' is, as many people have observed, based very loosely on the War of the Roses. [House of the Dragon] is based on an earlier period in history called the Anarchy."

The Anarchy was a civil war in England that erupted when King Henry I left his daughter to claim the throne, which is similar to how the civil war starts in "House of the Dragon."

Emilia Clarke has also hit back at criticism of sexism against "Game of Thrones" in the past.

She told Entertainment Weekly in 2016: "It pains me to hear people taking 'Thrones' out of context with anti-feminist spin — because you can't do that about this show. It shows the range that happens to women, and ultimately shows women are not only equal but have a lot of strength."

"House of the Dragon" premieres on August 21 on HBO and HBO Max.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Emilia Clarke also spoke about how she fought against many of the nudity scenes on the show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder what GRRM thought of the Last Duel.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Happy Landfill posted:

This was the moment, yeah. There was good after that, but it was a bad show that did good things after that point where before it was a good show that got dodgy sometimes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I wonder what GRRM thought of the Last Duel.

The Last Duel had a pretty nuanced portrayal of rape in the middle ages. It showed that it was considered bad and that women had an opportunity to seek legal action. It also showed that those legal actions were limited and that women were not always believed. It was one of those movies that even though it was set in the past managed to say something about the present.

It was far better than Game of Thrones which had nothing to say about rape, other than showing that it happened, and often used naked women as set decoration. And yet it was far better than the actual books because they actually understood that some of the things that was happening was in fact rape and not happy fun times.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

GRRM sometimes feels like an internet edgelord going every man if given the opportunity would be a rapist and gently caress everything he could get his hands on.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

An insane mind posted:

Sherlock was always kind of bad though, like I still watched it because I love trash but beyond the actors making the most of it it was just...bluh.

I found the first few episodes entertaining enough but didn't love them like some friends did, but the incredible collapse into unwatchable dreck was still pretty striking IMO. Good contrast with GOT because there are so few episodes of Sherlock, so the whole decline is really compressed; within a handful of eps you've gone from Cumberbatch having some fun being Sherlock to an ouroboros of the dumbest poo poo and most ham-handed tone shifts anyone has ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gurm's point that history was bad too isn't really relevant since the show isn't historical. It doesn't matter what lines up with history for some time range when you also have dragons and ice revenants and poo poo.