Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah I used to live near where the 91, the 405 and the 110 met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

It's specific to southern California. The 101 in LA is just 101 in SF.

I'm from the Bay Area, and it feels natural to say that I'm taking the 5 down to LA next week.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone not *shudders* californian call them "the" X?

In the midwest, the "the" is acceptable if using a highway's name, but not when using its number. So if you're on the Tri-state, you're on 294.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Don't even get me started on the nigh-incomprehensible bifurcation between the Southeastern Pennsylvania "root" and "rowt".

Both pronunciations of the word "route", two very different pronunciations depending on the context. And there's no way to know the proper way unless you're from around here

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We just call the highway by where it goes to. South wins again.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Don't even get me started on the nigh-incomprehensible bifurcation between the Southeastern Pennsylvania "root" and "rowt".

Both pronunciations of the word "route", two very different pronunciations depending on the context. And there's no way to know the proper way unless you're from around here
Here in Australia "route" is always pronounced root unless it's the verb for using an electrical routing carpentry tool...
And "router" is always pronounced "row-ter"....

This is for very culturally significant reasons.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's "root" if you're talking about streets, "rowt" if you're talking about network packets. Or, alternately, "root" if it's a noun, "rowt" if it's a verb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cable Guy posted:

Here in Australia "route" is always pronounced root unless it's the verb for using an electrical routing carpentry tool...
And "router" is always pronounced "row-ter"....

This is for very culturally significant reasons.

Rude.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We just call the highway by where it goes to. South wins again.

There's a local highway that goes between Newport, DE and Gap, PA. It's State Route 41 in both Pennsylvania and Delaware. However, in Delaware, the road is called "Newport Gap Pike" and in Pennsylvania it's called "Gap Newport Pike". The most petty poo poo ever. Isn't there a possible compromise??

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

Call the what?
Thats weird, to get on 95 from Raleigh it would take 30+ minutes of driving directly east.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You can’t hide loss edits from me.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SlothfulCobra posted:

Call the what?

you can reattain "great nation" status by building out this subway system

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

redleader posted:

Nice try Elon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

There's a local highway that goes between Newport, DE and Gap, PA. It's State Route 41 in both Pennsylvania and Delaware. However, in Delaware, the road is called "Newport Gap Pike" and in Pennsylvania it's called "Gap Newport Pike". The most petty poo poo ever. Isn't there a possible compromise??

I propose simply annexing Delware, the silliest state to exist. We should also merge the Dakotas in a compromise to keep the Senate equally as biased to turboconservative states instead of handing them an advantage.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I propose splitting Delaware up into the states of D, E, L, A, W, Other A and Other E.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Split it into DE, LA, WA, and RI

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sorry "other a" and "other e" are non-negotiable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Powered Descent posted:

In the midwest, the "the" is acceptable if using a highway's name, but not when using its number. So if you're on the Tri-state, you're on 294.

Does anywhere outside of Chicago and NYC name their interstates? I guess there are things like the Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes, but I'm not sure if people actually use those names commonly.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I'm from the Bay Area, and it feels natural to say that I'm taking the 5 down to LA next week.

I’m also from the Bay Area but I’d never say this and only remember hearing the article being used more recently. The pattern I would naturally use for monosyllabic numbers would be “I-5” or “Highway 1” (for California state routes). It would simply be the number for most multisyllabic numbers (e.g. 80/580/680/880, 101). There is maybe one exception I can think of off the top of my head where the number and “Highway X” are interchangeable where I think my parents would use “Highway” and I wouldn’t.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 25, 2022

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

redleader posted:

We should convert it to dedicated bike paths instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coop supermarket logo design.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anywhere outside of Chicago and NYC name their interstates? I guess there are things like the Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes, but I'm not sure if people actually use those names commonly.

people refer to it as "The turnpike" at least in NE ohio

Also 476 (at least the non-turnpike portion) outside of philly is known at "the blue route" for some unknowable and ancient reason

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sure, there's plenty of names. I know Texas has the Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway and the George Bush Turnpike (altho I'm not really sure if the turnpike is technically part of the interstate or just a road built to turn the interstate going by Dallas into a beltway). I-495 in New York is called the Long Island Expressway. H-1 is the Liliuokalani Freeway. I-25 is the Pan-American Freeway, the Ronald Reagan Highway, and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway. Missouri named part of I-70 the George Brett Super Highway. It's kinda silly to have all these names, but if you think about it, the vast majority of these highways, most people will live most of their lives using and seeing only a fraction of the road that they live near, and it's only a few people who will travel long distances across them as well as the federal government having to manage them. It's why I'm grumpy about all those road signs that claim to say the direction they're going, but all the interstates are fully diagonal around where I live so it's confusing.

It's natural for people to come up with names and extra designations for roads, but those names also take on a life of their own, like the LBJ Expressway kinda ends up being both I-20 and I-635. There's also old names from before the Interstate system and the Numbered Highway system, like the Linoln Highway that connected New York City and San Francisco but got replaced by US Route 30 and I-80.

There's also a few Interstate highways outside of the mainland US that don't connect to the Interstate system. None in Guam though.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Also 476 (at least the non-turnpike portion) outside of philly is known at "the blue route" for some unknowable and ancient reason

Because the other options for its course when it was being planned were the green and red routes and blue won out.

Also, according to my father who grew up in the area, the segments of concrete that had been installed but didn't yet connect to anything were a great place to have keg parties. (Would've been in the late 60s/early 70s).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Because the other options for its course when it was being planned were the green and red routes and blue won out.

Also, according to my father who grew up in the area, the segments of concrete that had been installed but didn't yet connect to anything were a great place to have keg parties. (Would've been in the late 60s/early 70s).

yeah, i know that now but for something that picked up a name before my parents were born and has no other official references to the name as an outsider moving in it's very confusing

there are a bunch of parks underneath it especially in the delco stretches that i imagine are great places for parties

edit: maptax for pachat

Archduke Frantz Fanon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 25, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Everyone knows the Blue Route only sucks because of the bastards who lobbied to have it go from six lanes to four south of Route 3. They've cost thousands of honest people millions of hours of their lives over the last 30 years.

It's an interesting highway though, almost entirely cut off from the dense suburbs it runs through by concrete walls and also advertising is entirely prohibited along its length, which is not common. So you've got this very lush very green highway that is essential to daily life for at least a half a million people that also sucks.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lc3peq4P5s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

E: I was wrong

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Coop supermarket logo design.

To my knowledge, each country's "Coop" supermarket is completely their own thing, they don't have an international head office like other supermarkets such as Aldi (nord or sud).

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I propose simply annexing Delware, the silliest state to exist. We should also merge the Dakotas in a compromise to keep the Senate equally as biased to turboconservative states instead of handing them an advantage.

Please don't merge the Dakotas. That means the sentence "Calling the Netherlands 'Holland' would be the same as calling the USA 'Dakota'" would no longer work.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've played way too much EU4 because it didn't take me long to recognize the Philippines.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are the Philippines considered to be an obscure country, only known to map buffs?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

steinrokkan posted:

Are the Philippines considered to be an obscure country, only known to map buffs?

My sister was getting her child psych degree during COVID and had to run a general intelligence test on my dad and I. She was floored when I got to the part about geography and I quickly recognized a map of the Caribbean was missing Cuba, while a map of Africa and the Middle East was missing Somalia. Frankly I was kinda embarrassed it took about 20 seconds to work them out.

Point is, most people don't think about geography

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this thread is a self-selected audience but yeah I can label a map of africa from memory and get weird looks at bar trivia during these rounds. only the south pacific and a couple southern caribbean islands give me trouble

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Millions of people all over the world couldn't find their own country on a map.

A lot of people just don't care.

It's not like knowing the location of Svalbard or the capitol of Angola makes any practical difference even if it's fun.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 26, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Millions of people all over the world couldn't find their own country on a map.

A lot of people just don't care.

It's not like knowing the location of Svalbard or the capitol of Anhgola makes any practical difference even if it's fun.

This. Us map-starers are baffled but irl it's entirely useless for someone from Omaha, Nebraska, USA be able to pick out Tartu, Estonia on a map. That guy is a plumber. His knowledge is way more valuable than knowing where Tartu is.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah geography is the last thing that should be included on an intelligence test. Having trivial knowledge or not doesn't indicate how smart you are.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

i say swears online posted:

only the south pacific and a couple southern caribbean islands give me trouble

Little islands are rough, they all look the same.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Grand Fromage posted:

Little islands are rough, they all look the same.
gently caress, only thing worse than that is the CAPITALS of small islands. All Caribbean islands have their capital in St. Jamesbridgetown as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

i say swears online posted:

this thread is a self-selected audience but yeah I can label a map of africa from memory and get weird looks at bar trivia during these rounds. only the south pacific and a couple southern caribbean islands give me trouble
Yeah I get funny reactions from friends in Discord when I get Worldle countries in one guess. I wish this knowledge had more practical use.

edit: well it has helped me with timezones when doing work projects with people overseas or knowing where the city that people overseas say they are from.

edit2: my favorite reaction to having map knowledge that no one expected was when a co-worked of mine from India was talking about where in India she was from I knew which language she spoke. She was completely floored, it was great.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 26, 2022