Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am kind of interested in reading the Krakoa era. When does it start? And which books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am kind of interested in reading the Krakoa era. When does it start? And which books?

This is a decent place to start:

https://www.amazon.com/House-X-Powers-Jonathan-Hickman-ebook/dp/B07Z8HGWC3/

From there, a lot of writers started exploring in a lot of different directions, with a surprisingly decent hit rate.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
[MODEDIT: Getting a little too close to :filez: with this post]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 26, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Edit: wait, wrong GIF.

Anyway, am excited for tomorrow's titles.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sloth Life posted:

[MODEDIT: Getting a little too close to :filez: with this post]

Or you could use your local library or subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, which adds new comics three months after they've been published.

Hoopla is a great source for digital comics as well, if your library gives you access.

e: Speaking of, I just got Venom from my library

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 26, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Don't post links to piracy sites, ya goobers. :blastu:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait a minute! Al Ewing wrote Venom? What?? How did that turn out?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Saoshyant posted:

Wait a minute! Al Ewing wrote Venom? What?? How did that turn out?

The writing is split with Ram V and so far it's been okay but mostly setup.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I think for me a part of it is coming from a professional perspective of liking to kick over the rocks in a writer's yard and see what bugs are crawling around underneath. Please believe that if a novelist wrote a string of novels as successful and influential to novels as Chris Claremont's Uncanny was to comics, and then spent the next 30 years just blithely writing about their kinks and deepest hang-ups with no supervision, there would be a million dissertations about that novelist. I love Claremont just being off the leash (or perhaps Claremont being... on the leash) and just following his whims around. I think he's earned that kind of sinecure and I've discovered that quite often the results are really quite fun and interesting.

Completely agreed. A lot of his 21st century work is messy and ridiculous, but it also has a dreamy improvisational quality to it where he's just letting the id out. The good part of X-Treme X-Men is like this - peaking at Storm: the Arena, which is the most untrammeled Claremont indulging his kinks storyline I've ever seen, and if you read it with the right mindset it's a trip. The page where Storm ecstatically turns into a dragon borders on outsider art.

Similar vibes with Uncanny (2004) and the arc where Rachel turns into a dinosaur person. Speaking of Uncanny (2004), I feel like this is something people never remember Claremont did - but the second issue of that run plucked X-23 out of NYX and the shadow of Zebra Daddy, and plonked her amidst the X-Men. So that's cool!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, yeah, completely agreed re: Simonson and Nocenti. They gave rigour, purpose and pace to his writing in the way that great editors can. One of the major and consistent flaws of most of his modern work is that it floats and doesn't drive towards its point as rigorously as his best Uncanny storylines did.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Edit: wait, wrong GIF.

Anyway, am excited for tomorrow's titles.

You wouldn't copy a floppy!

Floppy comic, that is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The writing is split with Ram V and so far it's been okay but mostly setup.

yeah it feels like the answer to "How is ewing/ram v's venom" is "come back in a year and ask again"

like there is some hella slow burn happening

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love Ewing but Venom is boring and I hate this cosmic stuff they're doing with him. He works so much better as a thorn in Spidey's side where he wants to help but always wants to help by killing bad guys.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Codependent Poster posted:

I love Ewing but Venom is boring and I hate this cosmic stuff they're doing with him. He works so much better as a thorn in Spidey's side where he wants to help but always wants to help by killing bad guys.

That's kind of not really ever what Venom has been though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm thinking that's how he was around the time of Maximum Carnage and Lethal Protector.

And honestly that's the only time I remember liking Venom and I haven't read that since I was a kid so I could be wrong. I don't really care about Venom at all so take that as you will.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a cool moment in the Clone Saga where Venom attacks Ben Reilly who was going as Scarlet Spider at the time out of some sense of honor for Spider-Man and Reilly beats him. Because at the time Spider-Man had never really defeated Venom, just survived him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

Completely agreed. A lot of his 21st century work is messy and ridiculous, but it also has a dreamy improvisational quality to it where he's just letting the id out. The good part of X-Treme X-Men is like this - peaking at Storm: the Arena, which is the most untrammeled Claremont indulging his kinks storyline I've ever seen, and if you read it with the right mindset it's a trip. The page where Storm ecstatically turns into a dragon borders on outsider art.

Similar vibes with Uncanny (2004) and the arc where Rachel turns into a dinosaur person. Speaking of Uncanny (2004), I feel like this is something people never remember Claremont did - but the second issue of that run plucked X-23 out of NYX and the shadow of Zebra Daddy, and plonked her amidst the X-Men. So that's cool!

Yeah for sure-- I think the entire Kordey-drawn back-half of X-Treme is very compelling. I think as opposed to Larocca's slickness, Kordey brings a really fleshy, pulpy quality to the figures that teases something richer out of Claremont's narrative tics and encourages him to root those tics in more complex situations. Like, Kordey can sell "The Arena" just as well as he can sell the relatively quit grounded "Intifada" and I think that's fantastic. The only other pencilers in the 21st century who I think really push Claremont to that level of formal sharpness are Alan Davis (duh) and Chris Bachalo, who pencils a few VERY good issues of the 2004 run, including the excellent "24 Seconds."

For reference I've been looking at the 2004 run a lot lately for an upcoming project, and I recently reread X-Treme since I'll be covering a bit of the upcoming sequel, and I had a really good time overall with both.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's always a bit sad to me how people poo poo on Igor Kordey because he poorly drew one issue of New X-Men given a ridiculous deadline of like 16 days or something.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Me coming in to defend Kordey:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Me coming in to defend Kordey:

I adore Soldier X so much. The image of giant Cable framed by a rainbow is one of those indelible comics things that lives in my heart permanently.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I need to reread those, it's been an age.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kordey drew the hell out of Soldier X. I'm particularly fond of this sequence of panels:

The later issues by Arthur Ranson are quite pretty too. It's a great series all around.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I often think about the Canadian professor whose life was going so badly that he volunteered to get turned into a clone of Cable's little goblin friend Blaquesmith. Soldier X is so good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

I often think about the Canadian professor whose life was going so badly that he volunteered to get turned into a clone of Cable's little goblin friend Blaquesmith. Soldier X is so good.

Jordan Peterson?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cloks posted:

Jordan Peterson?
You take back this slander of little goblin clones IMMEDIATELY you libelous son of a bitch.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally got caught up with my comics, and caught up with this thread. Can the thread agree that the new X-Cellent comic was god awful? I thought I'd hold on for the first 5/6 issues for the first story arch, but it just kindof stopped for now? It said that volume 2 is coming in a few months, and I can't find myself to care at all about heroes versus villains subscriber count numbers. It's been painfully unfunny, and I don't care about any of these characters. Especially the Mirror Girl (or whatever her name was) being written like a heartsick moron dealing with Zeitgeist. I can easily place Children of the Atom and X-Corp miles above this series. But I haven't seen anyone else even mention this series here, let alone if I'm the only one with this opinion or not.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I literally forgot X-Corp existed. What a waste of David Aja covers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I read the first two or three X-Cellent and it felt really dated. Not just in regards to the current status quo but also its topic. Yeah social media is bad. Tell us in a new way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I never really liked x-staix except for the art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
x-cellent was the one that was supposed to come out two years ago right

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
X-Cellent seems like Milligan is addressing the critical faults of X-Statix, but without the humor and weirdness. It feels like an old guy trying to prove he's still hip.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I read some of the X-Cellent but since I didn’t read X-Statix I just thought I didn’t get it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Trying not to dox myself, but Kieron Gillen answered my question in the latest X-Men Monday column.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I finally read the newest Knights of X - and OMG finally it took Betsy and Rachel long enough to kiss, they have been flirting for what seems like forever.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Regarding today's X-Men Red, I guess Magneto doesn't need a backup if he can control his blood flow with the mighty power of magnetism.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Okay so I wasn't expecting Gillen to make Exodus rocket up the ranks of characters I really really like now but here we are

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Okay so I wasn't expecting Gillen to make Exodus rocket up the ranks of characters I really really like now but here we are
Exodus is a great character when used, but this is by far the best example in a long time. The stuff about Black Knight, Sersi and Apocalypse is directly from Black Knight: Exodus, and a great call back for the event. I have been intrigued by Exodus since he showed up at the school in The Wolverine and The X-Men era, and glad he is getting more to do.

On X-Men red front, that was even better than Immortal to me. about Fisher King I am wondering if he is one of hidden members of the Night, and if the prophecy means he will defeat Isca. I don’t know how that is possible, but can’t wait to see.

Great week of x books.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Man, David jobbing off-panel sucked. I wanted to see how Thanos+ fights a reality warper, not see him get wrapped in barf metal by Magneto

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Protagorean posted:

Man, David jobbing off-panel sucked. I wanted to see how Thanos+ fights a reality warper, not see him get wrapped in barf metal by Magneto

Legion of X #6 will show that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Red was rad, even though "actually this guy is stronger than a million of the last strong guys we introduced" is pretty tired at this point.

Loved the Big Gun joke.