Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

she has substitute teacher energy. ive cracked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

[Peggy Hill voice] Mayim Bialik!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

[Peggy Hill voice] Mayim Bialik!

[Mayim Bialik voice] Peheggy.. Hill.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The thing that bothers me is that they're doing something I run into at work a lot: They're catering to one group that would simply adjust while alienating a far more important group.

If they go with Bialik, they will lose a very large number of die-hard fans, from which they get their super-champs that are so good for ratings. They lose the people driving the online communities who you alienate by choosing someone who admitted they never even watched the show before deciding she wanted to host it for some reason.

If they go with Ken, the olds who prefer Bialik will bitch and moan, but they're going to shut up and keep watching no matter what because they'll adjust and don't really care, they just want to keep filling that 7pm slot in their daily routine.

It's truly baffling that they don't see this split and prioritize what the die-hards see as the integrity of the institution of Jeopardy over grandma just thinking Mayim seems so nice so you should give it to her.

I'm really questioning if I'd audition again if she was hosting. I'd rather never get my shot than to finally get it and it's ruined. I've wanted it for too long :smith:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

lmao yes this is exactly it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

That sub that just puts on a video because she doesn't understand that material being covered.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I always thought Dave Matthews' music was forgettable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Two of them were too old and one was too young

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Twitter has dozens of complaints about tonight's episode setting off their smart speakers, and I find that hilarious.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Two of them were too old and one was too young

I'm guessing my age is in between the older guys. I know of Matthews' work, but only in passing. I would not be able to name any of his songs.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

as a stoner that went to a school full of rich jewish kids, i had to listen to a lot of lovely rear end dave matthews if i wanted to smoke some free weed in someone elses dads den

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mearn posted:

Twitter has dozens of complaints about tonight's episode setting off their smart speakers, and I find that hilarious.

It only set mine off once, oddly enough right as I was thinking it's odd it hadn't been setting it off constantly.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

ee-or

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m 33 and had no loving clue what Dave Matthews looks like but to be fair that’s probably because I avoid his lovely music at all costs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also the speed at which I yelled “gently caress you” at that stupid bird on my TV

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, i'd try to be a superchamp just to get my interview segments into an entirely brand new game: "let's make a grownup cry on television"

buzz in occasionally with "you really think women get raped because of how they're dressed?"

"really think babies who require ceasarians should just die, huh?"

"i used to buy an energy drink with the same formulation of nootropics in your stuff. gave me the absolutely worst shits."

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 27, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"hackman."

"bialyk."

"got anything new?"

"other than you're a garbage individual."

"gotcha. joe's in control and i really hope he beats you."

"...not after that attempt at the football category, he ain't."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Did Dave Matthews popularity just fall off a cliff after like 1999?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

davecrazy posted:

mainly because jimmy fallon did a better dave matthews than dave matthews. people wished they could see more of fallon, and then the middle finger on the monkey's paw extended fully.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Busted Stuff came out in 2002, so they kept it going a little longer than '99

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

davecrazy posted:

They had a couple of hits in the mid-90's, which made most people sick of them within the year.

Dave Matthews occupies the same space as bands like Phish or the Grateful Dead, where they have a dedicated core following, and no one else cares, or actively avoids them.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the first thing that pops into my head when i hear about dave mathews isn't any of his music, it's the goon talking about how dave matthew's tour bus offloaded its sewage off the bridge it was sitting on and onto the tour boat where the goon was working.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

the first thing that pops into my head when i hear about dave mathews isn't any of his music, it's the goon talking about how dave matthew's tour bus offloaded its sewage off the bridge it was sitting on and onto the tour boat where the goon was working.

Same. There's a Wikipedia article about it if anyone's interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band_Chicago_River_incident

It includes this choice line:

quote:

On August 25, Mayor Richard M. Daley held a press conference, in which he released the videotape used as evidence. Daley also expressed his belief that the dumping was "absolutely unacceptable", but that he believed the Dave Matthews Band was "a very good band".

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 27, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Lmao how had I never heard that before??

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
never underestimate the spending power of stoned white people with too much money:

quote:

They've been touring the U.S. during most of the second half of 2021, visiting many of the places that are also on the "2022 North American Tour" itinerary. Dave Matthews Band finished eighth on Pollstar's Year End Top 200 Worldwide Tours, with 583,399 ticket sold for a total gross of $46 million.. Most of last year's dates were sold out, including the final two nights at Madison Square Garden, Nov. 12-13, which sold a combined 30,981 tickets for a gross of $3,413,313, according to Pollstar box office data.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Same. There's a Wikipedia article about it if anyone's interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band_Chicago_River_incident

Here's the forums thread. Such a hilarious read!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Lmao how had I never heard that before??

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1174437

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
lmao of course there was a goon on the boat

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/note-jeopardy-ep-michael-davies-new-hosts-and-new-initiatives

quote:

Ken will kick off the season in September, host the inaugural Second Chance competition and the heavily anticipated Tournament of Champions featuring Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach, Ryan Long, and many, many more. His initial hosting run will take us through December. In the meantime, Mayim will host Celebrity Jeopardy! on ABC in primetime. When she takes over from Ken in January, the current plan is to have her host a couple of new tournaments as well as the Jeopardy! National College Championship and as many weeks as she can manage with her other primetime commitment to “Call Me Kat.” We know you value consistency, so we will not flip flop the hosts constantly and will keep you informed about the hosting schedule.

And from the new Inside Jeopardy Podcast:

quote:

"And I will share my vision for Jeopardy!’s future, including new developments in the areas of pop culture and sports, plans for a Jeopardy! Honors awards show and my biggest and most passionately held idea: a Jeopardy! Masters league in primetime or on a streaming platform."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1552369812772380674?t=mBBU06zbJI7Ygxh1lbvpow&s=19

Welp

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
At least now I'll have a guaranteed set of dates where I can do something else instead of watching Jeopardy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Not loving the push for more tournaments either. At least the celebrity ones are just bonus ones you can ignore.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Definitely glad Ken is hosting the ToC and is first up, looks like I watch Jeopardy until 2023 begins.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No tournaments for Buzzy?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Anne Whateley posted:

No tournaments for Buzzy?

somebody (i would guess ITV) probably put their foot down about double-dutying J! and The Chase

e: and there are still 10 chase episodes in the can whenever they return from hiatus

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ToC is gonna absolutely loving rip. Matt, Amy, Mattea, Ryan and Ken is hosting? :hellyeah:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

this sucks, the first quote makes it clear that they would have mayim doing the whole thing if they could. otherwise they would overtly mention a flip in duties, with ken hosting celeb jeop and other stuff while mayim does the main job. instead by the way its written she is going to be doing all of it in that period and ken just vanishes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

ToC is gonna absolutely loving rip. Matt, Amy, Mattea, Ryan and Ken is hosting? :hellyeah:

Hell to the yes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Can they just do a pure science tournament?.....please?

They never would because everyone hates those categories :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nice callback today with the clue that went like, "This city in West Virginia was still part of Regular Virginia..."