Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But, like, what is to be gained by talking obvious nonsense about cancer? Pretty much everyone has been touched by cancer in some fashion throughout their lives, who is the target market for saying something profoundly ignorant and offensive like "everything below stage 4 is completely in your control?"

Who is listening to that and thinking "hmmm, yes, this woman is clearly very sane and a good potential leader! Excellent point!"?

I understand the motivation to say "COVID is basically the common cold, just get back to work everyone!" from an economic perspective... what's the motivation to discourage people from receiving adequate cancer treatment and/or essentially laying blame on those who weren't able to "control" their own disease, as if you can simply choose to not have cancer?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

But, like, what is to be gained by talking obvious nonsense about cancer? Pretty much everyone has been touched by cancer in some fashion throughout their lives, who is the target market for saying something profoundly ignorant and offensive like "everything below stage 4 is completely in your control?"

Who is listening to that and thinking "hmmm, yes, this woman is clearly very sane and a good potential leader! Excellent point!"?

I understand the motivation to say "COVID is basically the common cold, just get back to work everyone!" from an economic perspective... what's the motivation to discourage people from receiving adequate cancer treatment and/or essentially laying blame on those who weren't able to "control" their own disease, as if you can simply choose to not have cancer?

A gracious reading of her intelligence says that she doesn't give a poo poo and she's looking to pull in just enough wedge issue nutbar conservatives to win the leadership contest.

A realistic reading is that she's based her whole career on "contrarianism" and "just asking questions" and shes too stupid to realize that particular issue was a minefield.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
They're free thinkers, you see. We've been treating cancer with western medicine for decades but people still catch and die from it. Ergo, we should stop doing that and try something different.

It's the same logic as "covid was really bad this winter even with people masking, therefore masks don't work" Mitigation is too compliacated an idea for their pea sized brains.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Another Bill posted:

They're free thinkers, you see. We've been treating cancer with western medicine for decades but people still catch and die from it. Ergo, we should stop doing that and try something different.

It's the same logic as "covid was really bad this winter even with people masking, therefore masks don't work" Mitigation is too compliacated an idea for their pea sized brains.

You know, that's an interesting point. You see it all the time with anti-vaxxers too: if something doesn't work perfectly, it's a HOAX! Everything must be deterministic and certain!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Here's the Smith and naturopath video if you're into self-harm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TItZumzJVDo

The bit about cancer and prevention starts at around 20 minutes. As a family doctor, hearing this quack talk about how doctors don't focus on prevention is uhhhhh gently caress you. My profession has significant issues with gender and race and privilege but goddammit I know a whole lot of people who are bringing science into it. And none of us are telling you not to get a loving vaccination.

Naturopathy (and chiropractic, and energy medicine) is anxiety-relieving at best and dangerous quackery at worst, and it's a lot more likely to be worst. Looking forward to Danielle Smith gutting our healthcare system further in favour of absolute bullshit.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Im surprised old money hasn't shut that poo poo down.

Imagine trying to market Alberta for investment dollars when your premier is continually starting a constitutional crisis with the federal government on whatever random legislation falls within her cross hairs that month.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

PT6A posted:

Conservatives in the US and elsewhere have adopted the firehose of falsehoods. Just say as much ridiculous verifiably false poo poo as possible, and you'll keep splitting people away from the groups that would normally keep them from straying off the rails.

While it won't necessarily help you win, it'll blast apart swaths of your opposition coalition. It's why you can have approval ratings in the toilet, but as long as you're damaging the electability of the other parties, you're good.

It's a brilliant strategy, one that centrists can't help themselves but play into. Countering the false information doesn't work, but that won't stop them from trying to bail out our dinghy with a thimble.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

apatheticman posted:

Imagine trying to market Alberta for investment dollars when your premier is continually starting a constitutional crisis with the federal government on whatever random legislation falls within her cross hairs that month.
They don't care as long as their person gets in who will push through their agenda. As long as the person they helped get elected doesn't try to push through anything contrary to their agenda, they don't care.

PT6A posted:

You know, that's an interesting point. You see it all the time with anti-vaxxers too: if something doesn't work perfectly, it's a HOAX! Everything must be deterministic and certain!
I've also run into a lot of people on both sides of the political spectrum who, ever since COVID, label any type of modern medicine as "part of the big pharma conspiracy". Unless a treatment works instantly with 100% effectiveness and 0 side effects then it's "all part of big pharma's plan..."

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 26, 2022

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

My friend with two kids in daycare just got COVID for the third time this year. Pretty great we’re forcing people to continue working and putting their kids into those situations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shofixti posted:

My friend with two kids in daycare just got COVID for the third time this year. Pretty great we’re forcing people to continue working and putting their kids into those situations.

My business partner and his entire family came down with COVID last week when one of his daughters brought it home from day camp. At least their symptoms were mild and everyone has since cleared up.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Interesting, Lich gets bail again despite violating her previous bail conditions

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tamara-lich-bail-ottawa-july-26-2022-1.6532149

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Also some daylight on the truckers spending millions of dollars on a church so they have a permanent protest base: https://twitter.com/JamesDBowie/status/1551998747642662912?s=20

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Squibbles posted:

Interesting, Lich gets bail again despite violating her previous bail conditions

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tamara-lich-bail-ottawa-july-26-2022-1.6532149

So how long until she's back in jail for violating the terms of her bond again?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Squibbles posted:

Honestly, unless you're a violent imminent danger to the public, you're going to get bail.

Keeping people in jail who haven't been convicted of a crime is wrong.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://twitter.com/pressprogress/status/1552057376009846784

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is there a provincial conservative party that isnt run by a gaggle of these kinds of idiots at this point? I feel like the answer is no but my knowledge of east coast politics compared to everything west of Quebec gives me hesitation to blanket it like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Is there a provincial conservative party that isnt run by a gaggle of these kinds of idiots at this point? I feel like the answer is no but my knowledge of east coast politics compared to everything west of Quebec gives me hesitation to blanket it like that.

Lots of things to blame Dougie for, but naturopath bullshit isn’t one of them. I have no doubt Oosterhoff would add faith healing to OHIP if he could though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

Lots of things to blame Dougie for, but naturopath bullshit isn’t one of them. I have no doubt Oosterhoff would add faith healing to OHIP if he could though.

I just realized Oosterhoff still a minister's assistant while Michael Ford waltzed into the ministership at Citizenship and Multiculturalism his first day.

I bet that chaps his nuts.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is Oosterhoff the home schooled religious weirdo that is on a crusade to kill off public education entirely because it teaches things like anatomy, sexuality, and critical thinking?

e: Some searching says its this and so much more. Wants gay marriage made illegal again, against abortion, transphobe, anti-mask/vax... how the hell does this win in a previously NDP held riding? :psyduck:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 27, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Furnaceface posted:

Our Tory premier here in NS definitely sucks big time, of course, but it's in that more rational classic way compared to whatever the gently caress is going on in the Prairies

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

Honestly, unless you're a violent imminent danger to the public, you're going to get bail.

Keeping people in jail who haven't been convicted of a crime is wrong.

this should be true, but I don't think it is. At least in 2015 when I was volunteering with CPEP, Ontario jails had a shockingly high number of people in them who hadn't actually been convicted of anything yet

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I know people who helped educate Osterhoff (but had nothing to do with the religious side of it) I'm told he's completely clueless and is basically a useful idiot for people above him who use him as a puppet in the political system. He is for all intents and purposes a mouthpiece and political tool for the church's interests in the Ontario government. Whatever he supports, whatever he says, he's a conduit for a much larger and more sinister political interest group. He completely lacks any personal agency and likely has not had any control over his life even as an adult and MPP. While I don't agree with the politics he represents his personal situation is basically a lifetime of abuse and manipulation.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 27, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Furnaceface posted:

e: Some searching says its this and so much more. Wants gay marriage made illegal again, against abortion, transphobe, anti-mask/vax... how the hell does this win in a previously NDP held riding? :psyduck:

Heavy Dutch/Canadian Reform community in that area of Ontario - they're loving batshit insane. They put a lot of effort in to get one of their own elected.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Slotducks posted:

Heavy Dutch/Canadian Reform community in that area of Ontario - they're loving batshit insane. They put a lot of effort in to get one of their own elected.

The Limburgian Candidate

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

apatheticman posted:

Brett Wilson is an even bigger wackaloon than she is, and he's got enough money to spray it out of the crazy hydrant for some time

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Arivia posted:

Lots of things to blame Dougie for, but naturopath bullshit isn’t one of them.
Not saying it's from Dougie; where did his daughter(s) get it from? At the very least they don't have any critical-thinking skills.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flakeloaf posted:

Brett Wilson is an even bigger wackaloon than she is, and he's got enough money to spray it out of the crazy hydrant for some time

Billionaires don't stay/get rich by spraying money at doomed projects. He's all bluster.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Are we absolutely sure Danielle Smith isn't another kamakaze candidate propped up by one of her opponents? 'Cause it's looking more and more likely these days,

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Is Oosterhoff the home schooled religious weirdo that is on a crusade to kill off public education entirely because it teaches things like anatomy, sexuality, and critical thinking?

That particular riding (Niagara West) is fairly new but is mostly the old Niagara West-Glanbrook which elected Tim loving Hudak. You could put a blue sign on a potted plant and get it elected in West Lincoln.

Nothing like being a teacher and having Oosterhoff named Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education, yyyyup.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Could be worse, they could make him Minister of Education

They might even

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

teethgrinder posted:

Not saying it's from Dougie; where did his daughter(s) get it from? At the very least they don't have any critical-thinking skills.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ford shares some of those wacky opinions, but if he does he's either he's on a tight leash or smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

Ford doesn't really fit in too much with the culture war conservatives, he's basically an old-school best buds with business / privatize everything type who just happens to say "folks" a lot. Outside of a bit of controversy around the elementary curriculum early on, I don't think he's played to the social conservative base much at all.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

enki42 posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Ford shares some of those wacky opinions, but if he does he's either he's on a tight leash or smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

Ford doesn't really fit in too much with the culture war conservatives, he's basically an old-school best buds with business / privatize everything type who just happens to say "folks" a lot. Outside of a bit of controversy around the elementary curriculum early on, I don't think he's played to the social conservative base much at all.

Agreed, Ford really does not strike me as holding any fringe nutjob views, he's just there to grift and give handouts to businesses and developers.

Piquai Souban posted:

Also some daylight on the truckers spending millions of dollars on a church so they have a permanent protest base: https://twitter.com/JamesDBowie/status/1551998747642662912?s=20

It's really infuriating. I live within very short walking distance of this church. Since it was deconsecrated it was sort of a community/arts centre with a nice Irish pub in the basement and then covid hosed it and forced a shutdown.
People started vandalizing it and the owner really didn't care. A good number of windows on the upper portion are shattered and pigeons have taken over the towers. I can't even guess what kind of state the upper areas are in but I'm guessing it's not pleasant.

I most certainly do not want a fringe right-wing cult headquarters in my neighbourhood but the owners want their 6 million dollars of terrorist money I guess.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Agreed, Ford really does not strike me as holding any fringe nutjob views, he's just there to grift and give handouts to businesses and developers.

It's really infuriating. I live within very short walking distance of this church. Since it was deconsecrated it was sort of a community/arts centre with a nice Irish pub in the basement and then covid hosed it and forced a shutdown.
People started vandalizing it and the owner really didn't care. A good number of windows on the upper portion are shattered and pigeons have taken over the towers. I can't even guess what kind of state the upper areas are in but I'm guessing it's not pleasant.

I most certainly do not want a fringe right-wing cult headquarters in my neighbourhood but the owners want their 6 million dollars of terrorist money I guess.

First tax bill they will bail on it.

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

McGavin posted:

The Limburgian Candidate

It's the northern Dutch that are the insane religious ones, not the drunk Catholics in the south

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To paraphrase Austin Powers: there's two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch Reformed Church.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Information about the Langley shooter is starting to come out.

‘I wonder if it’s him:’ Dead Langley gunman’s landlord recalls erratic behaviour

quote:

Ciszek said that Goggin had been recently acting erratically. She had noticed he was "going a little bit crazy" during his last two weeks, "like saying 'I'm f'd up, I'm f'd up.'"

"You know, it just breaks my heart because I could feel the pain in him. I could see he was so lost, and I obviously didn't do anything about it," she said. "And it's really tragic what happened to him, but at least he's at peace now. And the two people that passed away, you know, I send them love as well, and the two people in critical [care], I hope that this changes their life around for the better."

Ciszek hopes the tragedy is a wake-up call to say hello to neighbours and care for their mental wellbeing.

"I just hope that he's peaceful now in a better place. Because from what I saw, he was really broken and really hurt and very confused."

Some other article goes to his neighbors, says he would smoke in his car in the middle of the night, quiet and kept to himself.

So far looks like a guy who snapped.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kopitar posted:

It's the northern Dutch that are the insane religious ones, not the drunk Catholics in the south

Look, I just needed something that sounded like Manchurian, I don't know anything about social demarcations in the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Danielle Smith is getting all the attention, but Alberta's other PC leadership candidates deserve some too. They also have crazy ideas about solving Alberta's problems by passing laws to force the Federal government to do things. Travis Toews platform includes:

quote:

3. SHIFT TAX POWER FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENTS.
I’ll work with other Premiers to shift the tax power from the federal government to provincial governments. This allows provinces to have the tax capacity to deliver services like childcare, pharma care, and dental care. It would provide Albertans with more autonomy, and make it easier for us to deliver high quality services to all Albertans while balancing the budget.

Alberta can already collect their own income taxes. They just don't do it because they would have to have an agency to receive and process tax returns. Quebec has a system and collects its own taxes. Mostly, this sucks for tax payers and wastes money, since it means each person filing multiple returns every year.

What Toews is really getting at is that Alberta would collect all the taxes and then distribute what it though is fair to the Federal Government. Which would give them power over the Feds - but only if they somehow blocked the Feds from just continuing to collect their own taxes. Quebec tried exactly this five years ago. It didn't go anywhere.

quote:

4. DEFEND AND ADVANCE ALBERTA’S KEY ECONOMIC SECTORS LIKE ENERGY AND AGRICULTURE.
To back Alberta’s energy and agricultural sectors against Ottawa’s targeted attacks, as Premier I would:
Pass enabling legislation so that when Ottawa attacks Alberta’s economy we have a potential suite of targeted levies on goods and contracts we can begin to apply and escalate as needed.

Apparently no one on his campaign paused to wonder why not a single province has set up a customs office to tax goods from other provinces, at any point, in the past 155 years. There's actually a very good reason, in that it is explicitly prohibited by the Constitution Act (1867)

quote:

121 All Articles of the Growth, Produce, or Manufacture of any one of the Provinces shall, from and after the Union, be admitted free into each of the other Provinces.

Ignorance of civics, or playing to that ignorance, take your pick.