Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We don't know exactly when Emet-Selch started piloting, but I think it would make sense that he'd pick someone that already had some influence and power, and not random grunt #67.

Either way, wasn't really an OC. More of a fan adaptation or unlicensed sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We don't know exactly when Emet-Selch started piloting, but I think it would make sense that he'd pick someone that already had some influence and power, and not random grunt #67.

I thought that was part of the 'legend' he built up. That he did pick a random grunt to meatpuppet and, by virtue of being 12,000 years old, built himself a legendary origin story to solidify his legitimacy.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It would have been a lot easier if he weren't trying to build an anti-deiform-entity movement, you can't just rely on the ol' "Set up a prophecy a few hundred years ago and fulfill it yourself" trick if you want to make a bunch of people who fear and hate anything vaguely mystic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Endwalker confirmed, more implicitly than anything by outlining Solus' actual biography, that Emet possessed him when he was somewhat accomplished but still unassuming. I forget if it was said exactly what rank, but he definitely had some amount of it to the point where part of his mythos is 'this random unassuming officer suddenly started climbing the ranks and discovering ceruleum'. So people noticed the change, but not enough to actually get suspicious about it, he probably didn't have a lot of close relationships.

So in terms of fanfic, Solus is that kind of OC where the author picks a random background character and writes them as their transparent self-insert.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

So in terms of fanfic, Solus is that kind of OC where the author picks a random background character and writes them as their transparent self-insert.

Literally in this case.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zomborgon posted:

It would have been a lot easier if he weren't trying to build an anti-deiform-entity movement, you can't just rely on the ol' "Set up a prophecy a few hundred years ago and fulfill it yourself" trick if you want to make a bunch of people who fear and hate anything vaguely mystic.
Did... did he make the Garleans the way he made them for the challenge of it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nessus posted:

Did... did he make the Garleans the way he made them for the challenge of it?

He set up the empire to specifically despise eidolons/primals/etc. That wasn't necessarily for the challenge, but it provides a really easy point of friction and a "justification" for war. Everyone else has WMDs, you see, so we need to invade them for our own safety.

I don't think he had any hand in making them unable to use magic or having a 3rd eye though.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Since Solus and ancient Emet-Selch had the same face, I assumed that the garlean he possessed was a no-name rando in a low position, possibly even an orphan. Otherwise people would ask questions why this rising soldier suddenly has a new face. Or maybe he just got really lucky and found a dude who looked just like him.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't think he had any hand in making them unable to use magic or having a 3rd eye though.

We still don't know a lot about the Garleans and their origins, other than that their inability to use magic is very, very old. But after one of the Gougian Constructs blew a hole in reality people began to distrust their technology and started pushing them out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DemoneeHo posted:

Since Solus and ancient Emet-Selch had the same face, I assumed that the garlean he possessed was a no-name rando in a low position, possibly even an orphan. Otherwise people would ask questions why this rising soldier suddenly has a new face. Or maybe he just got really lucky and found a dude who looked just like him.
Just tinker with aether stuff and have his face turn into a grumpy rat man's over ten years. Everyone will just assume empiring is tiring work

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I call it a cosplay because he had to completely rebuild a body on the First to look like that, complete with a gun that you know he was packing the entire time waiting for a chance to shoot someone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

if you're a functionally immortal incredibly powerful being you can just do some of that ascian 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 dimensional chess to cause a crisis you become perfectly positioned to solve, and then just roll that into founding an empire

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

I think he must have got lucky (or spent a long time looking). When he's talking to Varis about the cloning project he comments that having a bunch of empty Solus bodies saves him the effort of changing new hosts to look like him

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I entered a housing lottery for a medium house for the hell of it, and now I've won and I don't know what to do with my house. I'm not creative. And it's not really worth putting effort into making my house nice, since it's not as though anyone will bother looking at it.

I don't want to log in every day, so it's not like gardening makes much sense.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I put bids on houses and I'm secretly relieved when I don't win for those very reasons

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Like, I was thinking of unsubbing, but I'll lose this house that I spent 19mil gil on and won a lottery for. I which I could give it to a friend or sell it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

I entered a housing lottery for a medium house for the hell of it, and now I've won and I don't know what to do with my house. I'm not creative. And it's not really worth putting effort into making my house nice, since it's not as though anyone will bother looking at it.

Yeah this is the very reason why I've never gone for a personal house before. But now that I have friends playing who are way more interested in the house side of things I was happy to front the cash so we could bid and let them do the actual decorating and caretaking since they're into that stuff.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Nebrilos posted:

Exterior: Paissa walls and as many Namazu effigies as you can cram in.

Interior: lights off, three partition walls dyed black forming a box around the entrance containing one thing: a guest book titled "feedback requested"

There you go.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I posted the JP-Eng translated conversation between Alisae and Zenos in a discord I'm in and I got asked to spoiler tag it. I obliged because its just easy to spoiler tag something and I'm not so combative to really fight against it, but I asked what's spoilery about it since you have to actually click through to read what is said, and they said the fact that Zenos is even alive.
I feel like that's a bit silly considering he's in the trailer for the expansion and I imagine its very difficult to have not heard of him if you have a passing interest in FFXIV, but sure I'll spoiler tag it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zeruel posted:

I posted the JP-Eng translated conversation between Alisae and Zenos in a discord I'm in and I got asked to spoiler tag it. I obliged because its just easy to spoiler tag something and I'm not so combative to really fight against it, but I asked what's spoilery about it since you have to actually click through to read what is said, and they said the fact that Zenos is even alive.
I feel like that's a bit silly considering he's in the trailer for the expansion and I imagine its very difficult to have not heard of him if you have a passing interest in FFXIV, but sure I'll spoiler tag it.

Zenos is one of the prickly characters like that, yeah, where after a point the fact he even continues to exist is technically a spoiler. Sure, it doesn't feel that big to us once we get there because it just sorta happens without too much fanfare and the leadup is very slow, but... well, the assumption that he's dead does carry for quite a while, come to think of it. It takes until the end of Shadowbringers for you to KNOW he's back alive and well, because until then any later appearance where he's not named could be Elidibus in his body (and frequently is).

Similarly, a recent challenge I hit in my videos is picking a thumbnail image for Fandaniel. He has like, four faces across all of his screentime, and they're ALL clear spoilers of some kind; you can't actually show his face and remain spoiler-free.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

One knows he's *alive* with a pretty quickly after Elibus possessing his corpse, before Stormblood is even over at that; it's more a matter of it being clear he gets his body back rather than being some rando Elezen.

It would be pretty funny if he'd gotten stuck joining the Oops All Elezen swath of the cast.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you're mainlining the story, Zenos is dead for a couple hours maybe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Scions are 'dead' longer than Zenos but nobody says talking about Thancred is a spoiler

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

FuturePastNow posted:

If you're mainlining the story, Zenos is dead for a couple hours maybe

Yeah, you can put two and two together and realize that he's hopping corpses by Under the Moonlight in patch 4.3. He gives the game away there with a soliloquy:

quote:

Katana-wielding Soldier: ...I have lost many things, but my mind is yet my own.
Katana-wielding Soldier: There upon the stage I stood, prepared to take my final bow, only to find that the finale was but an intermission...
Katana-wielding Soldier: Shall I use this chance to repent for my sins? Embrace goodness and mediocrity? Nay, I think not. While the one I yearn to face yet lives, the hunt must go on.

After that point, just noting that he has dialogue with another character in EW doesn't give you much info besides "he stays alive throughout the entirety of ShB, or else dies and comes back a second time." Which is a spoiler, I guess, but it doesn't reveal any important specifics (whether he gets his body back, what he does while he's back, whether he ends up joining the team, etc., etc.). Once you start ShB and realize that the majority of the patch will be taking place in a whole 'nother world, you'll be expecting him to take a back seat for a while anyway, spoilers or no.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just a matter of knowing your audience. In my main Discord there's two people who *just* finished the Stormblood x.0 MSQ, and it'd be silly to post that untagged.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

somewhere out there is a person really concerned about spoilers, who opened the game and then went to make a sandwich or whatever, only to return to the opening movie showing zenos front and center

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my general rule is that if it's in promo material it's fair game, but also if I know someone in the convo is still plugging away at the msq or the chat is slow enough that they could stumble across it I'll make an effort to spoiler anything past where I think they're at.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bloody Emissary posted:

Yeah, you can put two and two together and realize that he's hopping corpses by Under the Moonlight in patch 4.3. He gives the game away there with a soliloquy:

Not only that, but "Meteor" starts playing and he kills a guy with a katana. The devs really don't try to hide that it's Zenos at all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

somewhere out there is a person really concerned about spoilers, who opened the game and then went to make a sandwich or whatever, only to return to the opening movie showing zenos front and center

I laugh and drink in their suffering. It's my unpopular hot take that has minimal stakes, but the concept of spoilers ruins media, and the entire idea of them needs to be struck from the public consciousness.

I blame Marvel movies for exacerbating the problem.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

The Scions are 'dead' longer than Zenos but nobody says talking about Thancred is a spoiler

It absolutely is a spoiler. Nobody talks about it because as far as this thread goes, stuff pre-endwalker is pretty much fair game. But if anybody I got into this game was the type to be inclined to read SA ff14 stuff I would tell them to stay the gently caress out of this thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

It absolutely is a spoiler. Nobody talks about it because as far as this thread goes, stuff pre-endwalker is pretty much fair game. But if anybody I got into this game was the type to be inclined to read SA ff14 stuff I would tell them to stay the gently caress out of this thread.

Well I would hope they'd stay out of the spoiler thread, yeah

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I would hope they'd stay out of the spoiler thread, yeah

Oh nooo I forgot what thread I was in and now I am a buffoon!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Even then.

If a character appears on the boot up of the game their survival can't be considered a spoiler because it is literally impossible to avoid.

Their exact plot can but you can't hide the fact a character isn't dead except in cases like Emet's past self. Maybe next expansion where Zenos is not around.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

FWIW, I did not watch the EW movie until I finished 5.3. Skipped it every time it popped up.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If a character appears on the boot up of the game their survival can't be considered a spoiler because it is literally impossible to avoid.

I started playing in April 2020 and somehow managed to avoid the Shadowbringers intro until I got there in 2021. It requires you to be able to press a key but thankfully is not literally impossible to avoid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Failboattootoot posted:

Oh nooo I forgot what thread I was in and now I am a buffoon!

You are right that the main thread is now somewhere to avoid for new players who want to avoid spoilers. I wouldn't recommend staying from the new player thread until at least Shadowbringers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

I started playing in April 2020 and somehow managed to avoid the Shadowbringers intro until I got there in 2021. It requires you to be able to press a key but thankfully is not literally impossible to avoid.

I'm not talking about the intro movie. I'm talking about the literal launcher which repeatedly featured Zenos/Thancred/ESPECIALLY Y'shtola throughout the game's history.

Like Endwalker featured a giant picture of all the main cast including Zenos and you were going to see that because it was the image used for stuff like "patch notes."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't even look at the launcher art. Not because I'm trying to avoid spoilers or anything, my eyes just don't move there when logging in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't even look at the launcher art. Not because I'm trying to avoid spoilers or anything, my eyes just don't move there when logging in.

By that logic spoilers are impossible because you can't be spoiled by anything as long as you don't notice it in front of your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

By that logic spoilers are impossible because you can't be spoiled by anything as long as you don't notice it in front of your face.

If you're stupid enough, either nothing is a spoiler or everything is.