Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

credburn posted:

Should I play Watch Dogs 1 and 2? Don't tell me to skip 1; if I'm going to play 2 I have to play 1 first. I don't know why it is that way but it is and I'm sure a lot of you can relate.

Personally think 2 is too loving cringe, grim dark brooding batpunisher uncle hacker man is like more fun to me than happy go lucky teenage hackers that also will also abruptly kill people, but as far as gameplay goes I prefer legions to both so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Watch underscore dogs 1 just became even more dumb to me after seeing the end of C&I's LP of it and learning the truth of the plot. You spend the entire game with Aiden wanting to find the reason for someone taking a hit on him after he robbed a bunch of people in a fancy hotel and saw a scrambled few seconds of video when his partner poked around. At the end of the game they want you to believe it is because he saw those few seconds of a blackmail tape, but it also casually drops that the place he was robbing the rich patrons at was controlled by the mafia. Like it never occurs to him, or anyone else in the game, that maybe loving around in an area controlled by what they know is organized crime might have consequences.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ashsaber posted:

Watch underscore dogs 1 just became even more dumb to me after seeing the end of C&I's LP of it and learning the truth of the plot. You spend the entire game with Aiden wanting to find the reason for someone taking a hit on him after he robbed a bunch of people in a fancy hotel and saw a scrambled few seconds of video when his partner poked around. At the end of the game they want you to believe it is because he saw those few seconds of a blackmail tape, but it also casually drops that the place he was robbing the rich patrons at was controlled by the mafia. Like it never occurs to him, or anyone else in the game, that maybe loving around in an area controlled by what they know is organized crime might have consequences.

I feel like this could have been a really funny twist if him being a massive unsympathetic rear end in a top hat was deliberate but I think it's a thing where the writers were like, 50/50 split on that idea. So half the time the game tries to sell him as a cool badass antihero and the other half of the time it's just like "he is a danger to everyone around him and everything that happens to him is his own fault", and it just changes gears between these two versions of him constantly.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

You can really tell which 50 got the final word in.

*chokes woman literally because she's a woman*
*phone rings* "Hello there. Oh, yeah, that was textbook misogyny coercion (wait, that's not better at all) - occupational hazard and all that. I know saying all this really downplays the overwhelming sense of guilt we'll fully reveal later but whatever."

*gets some guy absolutely, positively, no-loving-way-out killed*
*phone rings* "Hello there. Oh, yeah, I totally survived that 10 storey drop. We're still cool, by the way."

You can also tell that same 50 got too much say on what Dedsec's opinion was of that garbage script kiddie in 2.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the Watch Dogs Legion DLC has Aiden in it and hes shown as a violent piece of poo poo loser that accomplished nothing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Every example of why I should not play Watch Dogs makes me want to play it so I can at least be in on this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reive posted:

Personally think 2 is too loving cringe, grim dark brooding batpunisher uncle hacker man is like more fun to me than happy go lucky teenage hackers that also will also abruptly kill people, but as far as gameplay goes I prefer legions to both so :shrug:

Yeah 2 has a very big disconnect between the story and gameplay because the story is all about how Dedsec is a hacktivist group trying to change things for the better. Then in gameplay you can 3D print a machine gun and murder a bunch of people.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They did update the game so you can 3d print a machine gun that shoots paintballs and a shotgun that fires AIR and launches people.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am very tempted to do a Hate LP of Watch_Dogs 1. I love Chicago, and the concept is so good, but the protagonist is so bad. I have still played it all the way through four times.
Chip and Ironicus did a very comprehensive LP of the game, and were not in favor.

credburn posted:

Every example of why I should not play Watch Dogs makes me want to play it so I can at least be in on this.
Watch the Chip and Ironicus LP, they don't really leave anything out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah 2 has a very big disconnect between the story and gameplay because the story is all about how Dedsec is a hacktivist group trying to change things for the better. Then in gameplay you can 3D print a machine gun and murder a bunch of people.

If you're annoyed by the disconnect between story and gameplay that comes from the hero shooting people with a machine gun, just don't do that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Even better: play Legion, because unless you play as a spy or soldier you can't use lethal weapons.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Philippe posted:

Even better: play Legion, because unless you play as a spy or soldier you can't use lethal weapons.

This does mean you tend to run into the same half-dozen enemies repeatedly, all with "Hospitalized by DedSec Operative so-and-so" in their recent history.

This may in fact be an upside.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah it's emergent storytelling or whatever, especially if you take them out the same way every time (getting kissed by a robot, rubber bullet, etc).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Philippe posted:

Yeah it's emergent storytelling or whatever, especially if you take them out the same way every time (getting kissed by a robot, rubber bullet, etc).

I'm imagining a veteran MGS mook feeling a sharp pain in his butt, sighing, laying down on the ground and emptying his pockets while waiting for the sedatives to kick in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm imagining a veteran MGS mook feeling a sharp pain in his balls, sighing, laying down on the ground and emptying his pockets while waiting for the sedatives to kick in.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No, that was Volgin's thing, those mooks wouldn't have the chance to become veterans. A few generations later, and they'll be prime Johnny's to poo poo themselves on command.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Funny, I walked away from the LP with a favourable impression of the game, but looking back all I remember are the fun physics stuff with the motorized bollards and Ironicus pointing out all the Chicago landmarks

I don't think I paid attention to the story or anything Chip said

Philippe posted:

Hey what does this mean and can I kiss the robots myself

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I was being euphemistic. The robot kisses is a stungun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm catching up on my GDQ and watching the Harmony of Dissonance run, the one GBA vania I never finished. There are some mechanics and UI conveniences that would have made it much less of a pain in the rear end to play if the manual or the game itself had explained them at any point!

What brings me here, though, is how enemy iframes work. As is common in games like this, your attacks "hit" every frame, but enemies have iframes, meaning that in practice any given attack will usually only damage an enemy once.

HoD does something clever here, though: each enemy has multiple iframe counters, one for each distinct attack hitting it! So you can open with a simultaneous whip/subweapon combo, say, and both attacks will connect. This encourages you to mix things up and combo together whips, subweapons, spells, dive kicks, and slide kicks for maximum damage.

Where poo poo gets weird is that each enemy only has room for two iframe timers. If you can get three attacks to intersect with an enemy at once -- say, by throwing an axe into the air and then whip-kicking it just before the axe comes down on its head -- the third attack will deal its full damage every single frame. You can't do this to every enemy, but a lot of bosses are susceptible to it!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a similar-looking glitch in Streets of Rage 2: if both players hit an enemy at the same time, their attacks will deal damage on every frame that they're extended. It makes an amazing noise, deals a ton of damage, and whenever you hit something, the game freezes your animation for a few frames and that's additive. So both characters punch an enemy, the speakers go BLAAAAAAAA, the enemy dies, and a few seconds pass before you get control of your character back :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm catching up on my GDQ and watching the Harmony of Dissonance run, the one GBA vania I never finished. There are some mechanics and UI conveniences that would have made it much less of a pain in the rear end to play if the manual or the game itself had explained them at any point!

What brings me here, though, is how enemy iframes work. As is common in games like this, your attacks "hit" every frame, but enemies have iframes, meaning that in practice any given attack will usually only damage an enemy once.

HoD does something clever here, though: each enemy has multiple iframe counters, one for each distinct attack hitting it! So you can open with a simultaneous whip/subweapon combo, say, and both attacks will connect. This encourages you to mix things up and combo together whips, subweapons, spells, dive kicks, and slide kicks for maximum damage.

Where poo poo gets weird is that each enemy only has room for two iframe timers. If you can get three attacks to intersect with an enemy at once -- say, by throwing an axe into the air and then whip-kicking it just before the axe comes down on its head -- the third attack will deal its full damage every single frame. You can't do this to every enemy, but a lot of bosses are susceptible to it!

Yeah okay, but what does it have to do with Watch Dogs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a similar-looking glitch in Streets of Rage 2: if both players hit an enemy at the same time, their attacks will deal damage on every frame that they're extended. It makes an amazing noise, deals a ton of damage, and whenever you hit something, the game freezes your animation for a few frames and that's additive. So both characters punch an enemy, the speakers go BLAAAAAAAA, the enemy dies, and a few seconds pass before you get control of your character back :allears:

Went looking for this and you can see it at about 14:12 in this TAS run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtRY6U3koh8&t=852s

Apparently speedrunners call it the Handshake of Death.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And another fun glitch from my ongoing doom modding adventures: if you take the Scavenge Lead ability (kills drop additional ammo), and then pick up a backpack (increases max ammo capacity), Scavenge starts giving you ammo from other Doom-engine games like Hexen, Heretic, and Strife. You can't see it because the textures aren't loaded, and you can't use it because you're playing Doom, but you can still pick it up.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
This isn't a glitch, this is just something that's in WD:Legion because it's not often you get to talk about it.
Why recruit assassins and gangsters with guns when you can have a hypnotist?
https://i.imgur.com/GRCPqWs.mp4
(That's their Stealth Takedown.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been rereading this Let's Play of Final Fantasy 2, and it reminded me of one of my favorite game glitches.

So, a lot of people know about the Vanish-Doom trick in FF6. Vanish is a status effect that makes you immune to physical attacks, but makes magic attacks guaranteed to hit. If you cast Vanish on an enemy, it always succeeds, because the enemy doesn't bother to roll resistance on a beneficial effect. Then you cast Doom on them, and it also automatically succeeds, because of Vanish. You can use this on a whole bunch of bosses in the game, and for the ones it doesn't work on, you can use X-Zone instead, which is basically a fancier Doom. I forget why Doom doesn't work on them. (Sadly, the remakes of FF6 generally patch this exploit)

In FF2, there's a similar glitch, but it's a bit more convoluted. FF2 has a bunch of spells that are functionally instant death spells. Exit and Warp remove enemies from the battlefield, Stone petrifies them, Death kills them outright, and Mini and Toad turn them into tiny people and frogs, respectively, which then have a cute little animation of them walking off the battlefield. In all cases, the net result is the same, but the spells have different stats and target different resistances. Mini and Toad have the highest accuracy of all of these spells, and relatively few enemies resist them; meanwhile, 1/8th of the resistances data in the game is dedicated to making the Death spell specifically terrible. However, the final boss is a notable exception: he absorbs transmutation magic, so if you cast either of them on him, he'll just recover HP.

Now, what you can do is, cast Wall on him. Wall blocks spells that are lower-leveled than the level of the Wall spell. Their animation plays, but they have no effect, because they hit the wall instead of the regular target. But Mini and Toad have special animations of the target walking off the battlefield! So you cast Wall on the target (which, as with Vanish, doesn't bother trying to resist a beneficial effect), then you cast a lower-leveled Toad on them, the animation plays, and as a side-effect removes the target from the battlefield.

And then the game says "Ineffective" because technically the spell was blocked. :v:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
What's nuts is I never knew about Vanish/Doom.

I used Vanish/x-zone instead on everyone :cheeky:

Then theres always Vanish/sketch for maximum hilarity

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
As a kid I thought Vanish/doom only worked on the 8 Dragons and was just an Easter egg way to kill them. I don't know how I never thought to try it on anything else or what possessed me to try it on a dragon in the first place.

You can use this on a whole bunch of bosses in the game, and for the ones it doesn't work on, you can use X-Zone instead, which is basically a fancier Doom. I forget why Doom doesn't work on them. (Sadly, the remakes of FF6 generally patch this exploit)

There's a couple situations when doom doesn't work. One is if the target is undead, doom will just heal them instead, of course in that case a phoenix down is an easier kill anyway. Another is fights like Wrexsoul where you need to kill multiple targets at near the same time or they resurrect each other, as a kid I didn't understand Wrexsoul and thought X-Zone was the only way to kill him hah. The other big difference is X-Zone can cause enemies' spite attacks(and sometimes more important scripts, like Bahamut dropping from Doom Gaze) to not trigger, which can be good or bad depending on the circumstance.

They just fixed it, but a really fun bug in the pixel remaster prior to the recent patch was nothing in the game was immune to dischord, which halves enemy levels. Reducing the endgame bosses to level 1 through repeated dischords was a very fun way of beating the game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

flavor.flv posted:

Hey what does this mean and can I kiss the robots myself

I would advise against it.

(Your little spider drone has a stealth takedown where they climb up a dude and give them an electric facehug)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

stab posted:

Then theres always Vanish/sketch for maximum hilarity

:hmmyes:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Analogue glitch stolen from the GIF thread:

https://i.imgur.com/NWXBRB6.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nordick posted:

That's awesome. True pinball wizardry

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I played in a pinball tournament where my ball sort of just rested on top of one of the orbs, and suddenly the score started cranking, like every frame (I don't know the analog equivalent for the purpose of telling this story) the machine registered a hit. It stayed there for a very long time, and I won that round. Technically not cheating due to the analog nature of the pinball machines, though I felt like it was. I still came in last place in my group by the end of the night -- but not that round! First fuckin place babyyyyyy

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Jul 26, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In International Super Star Soccer Deluxe, if you put the ball in the goal from behind, it counts a goal for every frame the ball is in there. But it doesn't show the number until the ball enters the goal from the front.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PowerfulCharmingIndianskimmer-mobile.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you haven't seen the TAS of International Super Star Soccer, you are missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A06DjnoHRIk

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If you haven't seen the TAS of International Super Star Soccer, you are missing out.

IN THIS HOUSE, WE
• Respect the classics :hellyeah:🫡
• 🤖🦿⚽️

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Nordick posted:

So when you do this too long and melt the plastic solenoid sleeves on the popper and the kicker, is that a softlock?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Are there any other really good playarounds like this or the Family Feud one?

There’s a series of Mortal Kombat ones that absolutely rips the game apart that are pretty entertaining.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chamale posted:

In International Super Star Soccer Deluxe, if you put the ball in the goal from behind, it counts a goal for every frame the ball is in there. But it doesn't show the number until the ball enters the goal from the front.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PowerfulCharmingIndianskimmer-mobile.mp4

this is great and the TAS is great, I love that there's a soccer dog at the beginning part.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
TASBot did a Brain Age TAS at SGDQ once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSFHKAvTGNk&t=922s

In general, the TASBot sections of GDQ are worth watching. They did a frankly incredible Ocarina of Time beta content TAS at SGDQ 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbkv_DJ0f0&t=117s

More traditionally, I remember this Marvel vs. Capcom playaround being pretty good, but I haven't watched it in a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gDmm0NZIo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Scribblenauts playaround does some clever things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PvUZA5GJ3o