Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "360 - Jucika And The Conductor"

"Remiz = Cart house/coach"

"361 - Jucika And The Safety Helmet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

As far as I can tell, most or all of the strip titles are taken from the (Japanese edition of the) Call of Cthulhu role-playing game.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Unfortunately no Aragones for the time being, I need to scan and edit and I’m on vacation at the moment. We’ll be back next week!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Oh boy, I've been reading some comics that are in my translation queue and I can promise you that there's some solid hate-reading material scheduled for autumn 2025. Stay tuned!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
oh dunk, the internal screener/storyboard animatic for the cancelled Popeye cartoon movie got leaked

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/genndy-tartakovskys-popeye-animatic-video-leaked-219062.html

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kennel posted:

Oh boy, I've been reading some comics that are in my translation queue and I can promise you that there's some solid hate-reading material scheduled for autumn 2025. Stay tuned!

Good, good

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Tracy Contest: The Solution(s)

As I mentioned when I first started posting the Dick Tracy contest strips, each newspaper that ran the strips had its own set of judges and prize pool. The Chicago Tribune contest was judged by Chester Gould himself, who drew his own solution. But first, let's take a look at what folks in other cities came up with -- starting with the St. Louis Star-Times, since they were good enough to actually reprint the panels that included the clues clews their judges considered important:

St. Louis Star-Times 5/5/49

You have to admit that's some pretty sharp-eyed newspaper detectiving there, even if I'm not quite clear how the bag got from the bus to Widow Dubbs's basement.

Meanwhile in Los Angeles, the winner came up with the most obvious and least interesting solution possible: Honey Keyes gave the bag to The Lobe on the bus, and he stashed it at the bus station. Yawn. You suck, Philip King of Inglewood.

Los Angeles Times 5/29/49

The Miami contest was judged by cartoonist Zack Mosley, of Smilin' Jack fame (and Deathless Deer non-fame), who picked the same solution as the St. Louis judges: Widow Dubbs's basement. The rather short list of prizewinners suggests most Floridians weren't interested in the contest. Also, Kinter Berkebile is one heck of a name.

Miami Herald 4/17/49

More to come!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 27, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

really want to see if he can stretch this a whole week
He can tell this story to his daughter, wife, and co-workers. Need somebody else for saturday.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kidcoelacanth posted:

really want to see if he can stretch this a whole week

How old is he supposed to be anyway?

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
https://twitter.com/SystemMastery/status/1552103245568303104

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Haha you beat me to it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This is sort of my fault and I'm so loving happy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Professor Bee Sharp?

Mary Worth

I hope he tells her everything and she rats him out to HR.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Technical issues cut my evening payload a little short...

Our Boarding House (June 29-July 1, 1922)

Elsewhere in the paper, something that feels like it's relevant for our continuing dive into the 1920s. Meet Lois Hatch, a University of California student who is the head of an anti-flapper club.

Based on the old "how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm" stereotype, her purity patrol pivoted off the idea that flappers are incurable, and the only treatment to prevent an outbreak is social isolation. According to the article, "Each co-ed will be presented with a set of rules, warranted to be 100 per cent anti-flapper. Any hazing that is permitted will be turned in the direction of the flapper. "We must educate it out of them," she told reporter Marian Hale. "Flapperism is absolutely opposed to good scholarship, good sportsmanship and to college ideals."

Really, a lot of flappers we've been exposed to through this thread seem to be very good sports, but whatever.

Anyway, since tonight's going to run a little short, here's another snippet of the days of the other '22.

Toonerville Folks (September 15-17, 1919)

Blondie From Zero (July 18-20, 1932)

Because this feels like it could be useful later...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 27, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

oh no

but also

oh yes

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not enough pot in the world

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I'm an hour in. It took them 48 minutes to get to the actual RPG, and everything up to that point (and quite a bit of it after) is the hosts unpacking K&K lore. Their exasperated outrage is a genuinely beautiful thing. As an act of "you're not alone, I'm seeing this too", highest possible recommendation.

And yet, the one guy keeps calling Bill Holbrook "Hal Holbrook", which makes me suspect he'd rather spend an hour and forty-three minutes talking about Mark Twain Tonight.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 27, 2022

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

EasyEW posted:

Blondie From Zero (July 14-16, 1932)

Probably the origin of Dagwood's habit of taking baths in modern Blondie.

Mister Kingdom posted:

How old is he supposed to be anyway?

According to one strip, Ed is supposed to be 54, which based on Dustin's 2010 debut, would mean he was born in 1956.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 27, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

I'm an hour in. It took them 48 minutes to get to the actual RPG, and everything up to that point (and quite a bit of it after) is the hosts unpacking K&K lore. Their exasperated outrage is a genuinely beautiful thing. As an act of "you're not alone, I'm seeing this too", highest possible recommendation.

And yet, the one guy keeps calling Bill Holbrook "Hal Holbrook", which makes me suspect he'd rather spend an hour and forty-three minutes talking about Mark Twain Tonight.

I didn't make it too far because most of what they were doing is basically repeating the same conversations we have here, but with even less clarity as they mix up what goes on in On the Fastrack with Kevin and Kell and also completely fumble Safe Havens. Which, I mean, it's fine they don't understand the Greater Holbrook Experience, but it does mean that they don't really have anything new to say to a long-time reader of this thread. It also sounds like you get the major details on the TRPG right away-- in that it's only vaguely related to K&K as a universe and there are weirdly specific rules for combat which doesn't really make sense for emulating a Soap Opera comic strip and just adds to the fact that it's a TRPG with the thinnest veneer of the Kevin and Kell theming.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Well yeah, the downside is that nobody can do a deeper dive than we have.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EasyEW posted:

Well yeah, the downside is that nobody can do a deeper dive than we have.

God have mercy upon us.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 4, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 4-5, 1991)

Gocomics goes into reruns at this point but for some reason the next bunch are still listed under 1991.

Big Nate

Appreciating the thread title btw :allears:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

readingatwork posted:

Gocomics goes into reruns at this point but for some reason the next bunch are still listed under 1991.

IIRC Bill Watterson went on a 9-month hiatus during this time, so GoComics is posting the reruns that would have run in papers during that time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The_Other posted:

According to one strip, Ed is supposed to be 54, which based on Dustin's 2010 debut, would mean he was born in 1956.

Even in 2010 that song would have been on a classic rock/oldies station. The time to go "Oh no Bon Jovi is on the oldies station I am old now" is long past gone.

e: Like this is the equivalent of someone going "I can't believe it, they're calling NES games retro!"

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 27, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The bottom left portion also works for ADHD.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 15, 1952)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Elsewhere in the paper, something that feels like it's relevant for our continuing dive into the 1920s. Meet Lois Hatch, a University of California student who is the head of an anti-flapper club.

Based on the old "how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm" stereotype, her purity patrol pivoted off the idea that flappers are incurable, and the only treatment to prevent an outbreak is social isolation. According to the article, "Each co-ed will be presented with a set of rules, warranted to be 100 per cent anti-flapper. Any hazing that is permitted will be turned in the direction of the flapper. "We must educate it out of them," she told reporter Marian Hale. "Flapperism is absolutely opposed to good scholarship, good sportsmanship and to college ideals."

Really, a lot of flappers we've been exposed to through this thread seem to be very good sports, but whatever.

Anyway, since tonight's going to run a little short, here's another snippet of the days of the other '22.

My grandmother was a flapper back in her day. I wonder what she'd have made of this.

Also, strong Eyes of Dr. T. J. Eckleburg vibes from that ad.

Popsi

Isn't that cannibalism?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/26/02

Brenda Starr 3/6/49

Smokey Stover 3/13/49

Everyday Movies 5/24/35

"Sing that one again about 'Oh it isn't love until you've got a wedding ring.'"

Bonus ad! For some reason, the dog-head-collecting fad never got off the ground.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Just wanted to say that I too love the lingo and general gist of Our Boarding House. Is there a specific point the Major becomes a breakout character or is he just a well done early sighting of a classic character archetype?

And drat, that Val. Val is gonna ruin this dude.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Other posted:

Bon Jovi first hit in 1983, so he would have been 27 at the time. Seems just a bit too old for Bon Jovi since they strike me as appealing to mostly teens to maybe early college-age.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It also feels pretty off-brand for Ed to like a song about the struggling working class.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Doomykins posted:

And drat, that Val. Val is gonna ruin this dude.
Is... Is he not aware Val is the prince?

E: and my two cents is Nate is an enormous rear end in a top hat. At least Calvin and the Boondocks kids have reasons for being dicks, Nate just seems to be a bad person for the sake of being a bad person and we're supposed to shrug and accept it because ???

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 27, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo this is raw.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

It also feels pretty off-brand for Ed to like a song about the struggling working class.

not as much as he likes Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

not as much as he likes Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen

You beat me to the comparison. Lyric-illiteracy is rampant in Americans.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If anyone is unfamiliar with System Mastery podcast, Jef and Jon go on tangents all the time. This is just an extreme example of there being very little to actually talk about with the RPG system itself.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

Just wanted to say that I too love the lingo and general gist of Our Boarding House. Is there a specific point the Major becomes a breakout character or is he just a well done early sighting of a classic character archetype?

I love Toonerville, but my eyes just roll off Our Boarding House. I think it's the sheer volume of lingo in almost every one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is nothing more American than white guys from a solidly middle class background who have worked white-collar jobs for their entire lives imagining themselves as a scrappy, disenfranchised hardnose who came from nothing and lived on the borderline for years before they achieved upper-middle class success. "I worked a physical labor job part-time for one whole summer before I started law school! For a semester or two I had to eat ramen noodles! therefore I know exactly what it's like to be at the bottom of society!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J