Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It just amazes me people who lie this much still manage to talk their way into media coverage as if they're real, when they're so full of poo poo that I don't have an analogy of sufficient gravitas to cover the infinite depths of which they are full of poo poo.

It’s free content!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It just amazes me people who lie this much still manage to talk their way into media coverage as if they're real, when they're so full of poo poo that I don't have an analogy of sufficient gravitas to cover the infinite depths of which they are full of poo poo.

AlmostAnyProfessionalGettingInterviewedOnTV.txt

You gotta give up your morals to get on that TV grift.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i demand discounts given in worthless company shitcoins, for reasons including "what is money"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Porfiriato posted:

:aaaaa:

I wasn't paying attention and thought that list was just a sustained fart of ideas from some random cryptobro, not a blue-check crypto thought leader (lmao) with 170K followers and a newsletter with 20,000 subscribers. Amazing.

e:
https://twitter.com/tommorris/status/1551803022933647361

Take crypto out of it and it's still dumb as poo poo! "Amazon will pay you to act as a warehouse." First off, why? Amazon can acquire warehouses on a whim. Second, the liability is immense. Who is responsible if something happens to the goods? Who is responsible if someone robs you to get to the goods? Third, they could not pay me enough actual money to make this worthwhile for either of us, let alone in scrip tokens.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not an expert but I think a fundamental problem with point number one, which was as far as I got because I was immediately disgusted, is that distributing the warehouse contents across a suburban footprint isn't going to be faster or cheaper or more accurate or anything good at all!

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not an expert but I think a fundamental problem with point number one, which was as far as I got because I was immediately disgusted, is that distributing the warehouse contents across a suburban footprint isn't going to be faster or cheaper or more accurate or anything good at all!

If anything it's going to be massively less efficient and lead to even more emissions from orders.

Which is saying something.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

If anything it's going to be massively less efficient and lead to even more emissions from orders.

Which is saying something.

Cryptos have proven time and time again that they are OK with this if it personally benefits them

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fun fact, during the busiest seasons UPS does occasionally have ad-hoc drop points where they can store packages. This lets the drivers of already-full trucks continue making more deliveries once the have emptied their trucks. Also, these trailers can be filled by other (usually lower-rank/lower-pay) drivers with packages that might arrive at the hub normal morning truck loading times. They just use locking trailers and pay a small amount to whatever property owner has the trailer on their land/commercial property/etc.

So yeah, this is just another case of crypto enthusiasts trying to re-invent a worse version of something so they can jam crypto into it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LanceHunter posted:

Fun fact, during the busiest seasons UPS does occasionally have ad-hoc drop points where they can store packages. This lets the drivers of already-full trucks continue making more deliveries once the have emptied their trucks. Also, these trailers can be filled by other (usually lower-rank/lower-pay) drivers with packages that might arrive at the hub normal morning truck loading times. They just use locking trailers and pay a small amount to whatever property owner has the trailer on their land/commercial property/etc.

So yeah, this is just another case of crypto enthusiasts trying to re-invent a worse version of something so they can jam crypto into it.

Logistics designed by the same people who make GTA minigames.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Logistics designed by the same people who make GTA minigames.

Still makes more sense than a LEAN supply chain.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sundae posted:

Still makes more sense than a LEAN supply chain.

All you had to do was receive the drat raw material the day before we needed it, CJ!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Obviously the solution here is to add more costs, because costs = value. Can't go wrong!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Potato Salad posted:

Turns out that public humiliation will still drive her to go private lol

No peace for any of these destructive, terrible people. She can go cry into her mountain of ill-gotten cash.

She didn't go private, she just blocked Dan Olson specifically. If you click through to the original tweets you can still see them.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

reddit dot com posted:

Is using a Whole Life Insurance Policy to fund real estate investing a viable/realistic tool?

I was recently introduced to an investing learning program/group that "promises" a path to financial freedom by utilizing Whole (Cash Value) Life Insurance policies as a vehicle to borrow cash for real estate investing. The idea is to have your money "working double time"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LanceHunter posted:

The delayed punchline to this is that the author of that tweet was tasked by TIME to rebut Dan Olson's Line Goes Up...

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1551691309538103297
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1551692258067419139

Pretend I quoted that entire interview because lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Everything action in life should be financialized and put on Blockchain

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

LanceHunter posted:

that sounds like a good idea. but it's also centralized, planned by the company that is going to use it, and people are getting paid in fiat. it'll never work.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I used an app to pay $10 to put my suitcase in a bodega's storage room for a few hours. How would cryptocurrency improve that? Instead of saying, "Hi, this is my name, here's my booking" I guess I'd have some kind of token on the blockchain. So that if there's an internet disruption it becomes impossible to verify, and there's another middleman to leech money out of the transaction.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

LanceHunter posted:

It's the same concept as something the post office has done for what, over 100 years? https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/71244/what-are-those-dark-green-mailboxes-dont-accept-mail

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Chamale posted:

I used an app to pay $10 to put my suitcase in a bodega's storage room for a few hours. How would cryptocurrency improve that? Instead of saying, "Hi, this is my name, here's my booking" I guess I'd have some kind of token on the blockchain. So that if there's an internet disruption it becomes impossible to verify, and there's another middleman to leech money out of the transaction.

Yeah the cool thing about dollars is that you get paid in them and then you can buy whatever you want with them. In the world bitcoiners want, apparently every single human activity will involve a different currency. I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to keep converting beween them.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah the cool thing about dollars is that you get paid in them and then you can buy whatever you want with them. In the world bitcoiners want, apparently every single human activity will involve a different currency. I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to keep converting beween them.

Travelling in Europe before the Euro.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Qwertycoatl posted:

They just want to arbitrage every possible currency pair with bots.
Why the bot author would sell his bot rather than just make infinite money himself? :iiam:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chamale posted:

and there's another middleman to leech money out of the transaction.

You just said the soft part out loud. This is the very point and core of "web3". The rest is just buzzwords and useful idiots pushing it for the people who intend to be the ones who collect the rents.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

gschmidl posted:

Travelling in Europe before the Euro.

Except that pre-Euro travel didn't carry the additional risk ("risk" - it'll definitely happen at some point) that someone will steal all the money and you'll be left with nothing. It's like travelling when there's a good chance that whatever country you're exchanging money in will just stop existing and also steal your whole bank account while they're at it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tinytort posted:

Except that pre-Euro travel didn't carry the additional risk ("risk" - it'll definitely happen at some point) that someone will steal all the money and you'll be left with nothing. It's like travelling when there's a good chance that whatever country you're exchanging money in will just stop existing and also steal your whole bank account while they're at it.

Really want to make a joke about the drachma but having trouble making it come together here

Seriously, I can't imagine what it's like when the government revalues/redenominates your currency

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tinytort posted:

Travelling in Yugoslavia, then.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

tinytort posted:

I don't quite understand, what "risk" are you referring to here that didn't exist with the pre-Euro European currencies?

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't quite understand, what "risk" are you referring to here that didn't exist with the pre-Euro European currencies?

The risk that your weird business specific altcoin will evaporate tomorrow or that the exchange just up and vanishes. When this happens with a real nations currency it’s a huge loving deal. Usually because of a war or something.

So the real money version of this is you’re traveling in Europe in 1944 and getting paid in fifteen types of Nazi military occupation scrip and the only place to exchange them are shady mafia guys under railroad bridges who might just walk away with your deposit or rob you at gunpoint.

And then something “totally unforeseen” happens like Hitler losing the war and oops no one is interested in your Vichy French Funbux.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

A pickpocket on the Naples Metro* could only take the Lira in your wallet/purse, and not the contents of your brokerage account or retirement funds. Also, currency collapses only occurred infrequently, my joke about the drachma notwithstanding.

(* Stereotypes aside, my wife has been to over 60 countries and has been pickpocketed exactly once: on the train from Naples to Herculaneum.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Admiralty Flag posted:

(* Stereotypes aside, my wife has been to over 60 countries and has been pickpocketed exactly once: on the train from Naples to Herculaneum.)

That's the Circumvesuviana, right? Apparently one of the worst trains to be on.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

gschmidl posted:

That's the Circumvesuviana, right? Apparently one of the worst trains to be on.

That's a funny way to spell "the train from Gare du Nord to CDG Airport".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My gf in my 20s was robbed basically immediately after we got to Naples. A scooter drove past and grabbed her bag, the strap was around her body and she got dragged along a bit. Poor thing.

Naples : bwm

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like bringing stuff to Naples is dumb just steal from tourists

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Elephanthead posted:

Sounds like bringing stuff to Naples is dumb just steal from tourists

:hmmyes:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Motronic posted:

You just said the soft part out loud. This is the very point and core of "web3". The rest is just buzzwords and useful idiots pushing it for the people who intend to be the ones who collect the rents.

One of the people I speak to was brainwashed into that this middleman = value. They were like "what if this is actually a value?"
Me: how about no.

It is disappointing how successful crypto marketing is at telling people things bad for them are good for them.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

notwithoutmyanus posted:

One of the people I speak to was brainwashed into that this middleman = value. They were like "what if this is actually a value?"
Me: how about no.

It is disappointing how successful crypto marketing is at telling people things bad for them are good for them.

If they are just playing the market and don't ever interact with the terrible customer service parts of their ideas... Then they don't have to think about how bad it is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twerking on the railroad posted:

If they are just playing the market and don't ever interact with the terrible customer service parts of their ideas... Then they don't have to think about how bad it is

this is like 99% of the dialogue around crypto

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twerking on the railroad posted:

This is also the entire techbro and CEO life. They don't actually interact with ANY of the systems they decide the nature and functionality of, even if they use them- they have people to do that for them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It is disappointing how successful crypto marketing every human endeavour is at telling people things bad for them are good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Weatherman posted:

That's a funny way to spell "the train from Gare du Nord to CDG Airport".

the RER has air conditioning now, I was shocked at how pleasant the trip is. Plus they run every other train as non-stop to the airport from Gare du Nord at least on the weekends.