Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Eh, I'd argue Macho Man wasn't really in that league, he was a much smaller, more agile and skilled dude than any of the lumbering oafs.

But he absolutely juiced hard and cycled off when the steroid trial hit before heading to WCW where it was even more of a free for all when it came to drugs. The Insane Clown Posse talk about it was the first place they ever saw people do soma and it freaked them out (understandably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1551993011646521347

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shang-Chi 2, Wonder Man, and now this. Feige must have really liked working with Cretton.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if he's also doing Secret Wars then.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Shang-Chi 2, Wonder Man, and now this. Feige must have really liked working with Cretton.

Shang-Chi is probably the best thing from phase 4 so it makes sense.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

live with fruit posted:

:agreed:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

I don’t think so Tim

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's the best movie for sure. I think I'd give Loki and Ms Marvel the nudge when including TV shows though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

X-O posted:

It's the best movie for sure. I think I'd give Loki and Ms Marvel the nudge when including TV shows though.

Avengers: Kang Dynasty, directed by Cretton and written by Bisha K. Ali.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

I would easily take MoM or Th4r over it. It’s not a bad movie but it has a lot of more glaring CGI issues and it just felt like one of those early origin films from Phase 1 or 2 at times.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would easily take MoM or Th4r over it. It’s not a bad movie but it has a lot of more glaring CGI issues and it just felt like one of those early origin films from Phase 1 or 2 at times.

Shang-Chi had a phase one level budget.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shang-Chi managed to thread a seemingly impossible needle of introducing a loving great Mandarin while commenting on and updating the fake version.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought the visuals for Shang-Chi were great but I also saw it at a drive-thru where the screen wasn't quite bright enough and the ambient light not quite dark enough for good contrast. But overall the movie was really well put together and had above average action for an MCU film. I remember being excited for the Russos helming Avengers on the heels of Winter Soldier's action being great.

Edit: drive-in, not drive-thru. Don't worry, I sometimes hold up the line but never that badly

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 26, 2022

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with this but not only do I think what you mentioned falls more on studio mandate/budget but they probably couldn't pin Raimi or Waititi down for a future tentpole film. It's why they got the Russo's for phase 3(?)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think about Kingsley's "Those monkeys were just acting like they were riding horses" bit about once a week and it always makes me smile.

Sister Chi, plus her hype man, plus Razorfist, plus her team of ninjas and graffiti artists, they are the piece I want to see again most of all.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

wonder if he's no longer doing the Shang-Chi sequel due to the production schedules involved. Also weird that they might be getting a different director for Secret Wars; I assumed they'd be filmed back to back given that they're releasing six months apart

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Russos were also two people, so it was a bit easier to manage something so big. I think different people for each movie will probably be easier for everyone.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It was also Markus and McFeely and they and the Russos were a team going back to Winter Soldier. The four of them were probably a finely tuned machine by the time they got to Infinity War.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I've gotta assume that Marvel is petitioning Coogler hard to direct Secret Wars. Especially because I'm betting that Secret Wars will feature Doom heavily and I'm nearly certain that Doom is showing up in those Wakanda Forever post-credits the same way Thanos did in Avengers at the end of Phase 1.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s that time of the year, folks: leak speculation based on released/announced Lego sets.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-O posted:

The Russos were also two people, so it was a bit easier to manage something so big. I think different people for each movie will probably be easier for everyone.

I would see the Coen Brothers Secret Wars 100 times in theatre

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I would see the Coen Brothers Secret Wars 100 times in theatre

Too bad they split up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't believe the Coens are no longer brothers

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Soul Glo posted:

sure when captain america does it, he’s a hero, but when the rock does it, he’s a muscle bound jerk idiot!!!

"IF YOU CAN SMELLLLL...WHAT THE VITA-RAYS...ARE COOKIN"

STAC Goat posted:

“the Rock should play Namor” feels like some kind of artifact from that time period when every fan casting of a super hero was some wrestler or actor who just looked like the comic character.

It always takes me back to when Wizard fantasy-cast an X-Men movie in 1991. Which every other dope I knew who collected comics took as fact for some reason. Oh, Schwarzenegger as Colossus, how interesting, yes, quite. Though the idea of a DeNiro Wolverine would be perversely cool. A Logan that has the claws, but just kicks people.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

give Secret Wars to Michael Bay

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

I've gotta assume that Marvel is petitioning Coogler hard to direct Secret Wars. Especially because I'm betting that Secret Wars will feature Doom heavily and I'm nearly certain that Doom is showing up in those Wakanda Forever post-credits the same way Thanos did in Avengers at the end of Phase 1.
That would make a lot of sense

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"IF YOU CAN SMELLLLL...WHAT THE VITA-RAYS...ARE COOKIN"

It always takes me back to when Wizard fantasy-cast an X-Men movie in 1991. Which every other dope I knew who collected comics took as fact for some reason. Oh, Schwarzenegger as Colossus, how interesting, yes, quite. Though the idea of a DeNiro Wolverine would be perversely cool. A Logan that has the claws, but just kicks people.

Danzig.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

live with fruit posted:

It was also Markus and McFeely and they and the Russos were a team going back to Winter Soldier.

And still are, they did The Grey Man.

AngryBooch posted:

I hope they don't show Doom too early. I feel like that undercuts the threat of Kang if Doom starts getting built up before Kang has properly showed up in Quantumania.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 26, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

It was also Markus and McFeely and they and the Russos were a team going back to Winter Soldier. The four of them were probably a finely tuned machine by the time they got to Infinity War.

What happened with The Gray Man then. That machine broke down fast.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

I thought it was pretty bland. Which is kinda crazy considering there was an alternative China where the bad guy was a mind controlling dragon. But it was. Def less of an impressive start than Winter Soldier.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Winter Soldier is unironically still easily a top 2 MCU movie and hard to top.

The only weakness is that the 10-year CGI can be a little dated on parts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

Some guys like Brock Lesnar and HHH have/had non-standard performer contracts which don't get them tested. They can also use them with a prescription. Common for injury recovery, and there's at least one guy who I can't remember off-hand who has a medical condition that requires steroids to manage.

With HHH, it's because he's an actual employee of WWE, as opposed to an independent contractor, and compulsory drug testing by employers is illegal in the State of Connecticut.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

X-O posted:

What happened with The Gray Man then. That machine broke down fast.

All hail Feige.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Winter Soldier is unironically still easily a top 2 MCU movie and hard to top.

The only weakness is that the 10-year CGI can be a little dated on parts.

I think one of the things I really liked enjoyed about the Russos is that they kind of added a physical realism to the action. Like when Cap hit the ground or Winter Soldier was kicking the asses of him and his buddies it looked like it hurt. So I think that helps fuzz over the shaky CGI since it feels less reliant on that stuff. I dunno. I’m not generally a connoisseur of movie fighting or anything but that’s how it always strikes me.

Gray Man just felt like it fell victim to this whole wave of directors over indulging in the no limits streaming age. With Marvel they had lines to color within. poo poo got a little broad without them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 27, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shang chi's main sin, above the fact that the finale battle was mystical dragon crap and not him beating down 50 guys with his martial arts, is that I cared way more about his sister than him, and when the movie ended I wanted to see more of her but not him. Kinda like black widow

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

STAC Goat posted:

Gray Man just felt like it fell victim to this whole wave of directors over indulging in the no limits streaming age. With Marvel they had lines to color within. poo poo got a little broad without them.

I've not seen it, but the gist I've heard is that it is pretty mediocre with a generic spy story, a couple really amazing drone shots, and a few neat fight scenes. Probably not worth seeking out, but not the worst choice ever if you have some time to kill.

Would you say the internet consensus is accurate/fair?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Limits are not necessarily a bad thing and directors having people who can tell them no or that their idea is dumb (especially if it isn't someone from the studio) often goes a long way towards killing your darlings. Even the world's best director isn't a singular genius and really benefits from having people who can say 'no' to something. A lot of great movies would be less great if someone didn't tell Cameron/Spielberg/whoever "Hey, maybe not that idea."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Timby posted:

With HHH, it's because he's an actual employee of WWE, as opposed to an independent contractor, and compulsory drug testing by employers is illegal in the State of Connecticut.

This is going way off track, but how does that work with the Connecticut Sun?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've not seen it, but the gist I've heard is that it is pretty mediocre with a generic spy story, a couple really amazing drone shots, and a few neat fight scenes. Probably not worth seeking out, but not the worst choice ever if you have some time to kill.

Would you say the internet consensus is accurate/fair?
Sounds about right. I thought it was basically fine. Spy movies aren’t my main thing and I watched it with someone else who was more into it. I found the first act very over indulgent and kind of spinning in how fast it was rushing through setup and some of the dizzying shots. The plot is very generic though so it was easy enough to follow. And the cast is good so I kind of found myself getting into it for the finale. It’s not one I’d recommend to non fans of that kind of thing but I thought the good balanced the bad into a final place of “fine”.

ImpAtom posted:

Limits are not necessarily a bad thing and directors having people who can tell them no or that their idea is dumb (especially if it isn't someone from the studio) often goes a long way towards killing your darlings. Even the world's best director isn't a singular genius and really benefits from having people who can say 'no' to something. A lot of great movies would be less great if someone didn't tell Cameron/Spielberg/whoever "Hey, maybe not that idea."

Yeah. Plenty a movie has been messed up by studio interference or the need to cut time or fit ratings or whatever. But lots of films have also been made better by someone saying “that doesn’t work” or “do you really need that?” Everyone can use a second eye. No auteur is a true one man band. And the right now it feels like we’re in a time when there’s less people saying “no” to creators. And I’m not gonna say that’s a bad thing. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad. But it’s definitely producing some stuff that feels like it could have stood a little restraint or a second cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. Plenty a movie has been messed up by studio interference or the need to cut time or fit ratings or whatever. But lots of films have also been made better by someone saying “that doesn’t work” or “do you really need that?” Everyone can use a second eye. No auteur is a true one man band. And the right now it feels like we’re in a time when there’s less people saying “no” to creators. And I’m not gonna say that’s a bad thing. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad. But it’s definitely producing some stuff that feels like it could have stood a little restraint or a second cut.

To be honest one thing I think is a genuine downside is that it is so trivially easy to do basically anything thanks to CGI that it becomes sort of the default choice and means anything that might otherwise be unfeasible is totally workable (as long as you don't mind overworking struggling VFX studios). CGI is such a quick and easy answer that you never get to a position of "Well, we can't do that, but what *can* we do and how is it more effective?" I'm not trying to argue for the "the old ways were beeeeest" stuff but more that CGI has reached the point where it is the solution to almost every single problem you can face as a director. (Up to and including "this dude is loving dead." Why bother to recast when you can CGI someone's face onto someone else.)

And of course this is a boon for studios too since they can just go "Eh, someone make a 30 minute video game cutscene, that's the climax of our film" and that basically removes any need to consider if what you're doing is the most effective way to tell the story. Who cares? Have them fight some random swarms of vaguely insectoid creatures and some big CGI creature. Director wanted to do something else? Too bad, Black Panther vs Black Panther For The N64 is Already Done.