Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pick the right bomb and you don't really need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Aces High posted:

isn't that literally what they do during the bombing run in Maverick?
The Merge has a good writeup about that tactic for the GBU-24 Paveway.

Godholio posted:

I think that only works with Bombs spelled with a capital B.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Can't speak to Russian equipment but with most US planes I'm familiar with you can choose between the computer telling you where your bomb is going to hit, or choosing a spot for the bomb to hit and having the computer tell you where to fly. For the latter basically you line up with the target and hold weapon release and the computer lets it go when the parameters are correct.

What about turning your targeting system off and letting the Force guide your torpedoes in?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The X-man cometh posted:

What about turning your targeting system off and letting the Force guide your torpedoes in?
I think that's the system that was used in WW1

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I had to share this here - if legit that seems like some rough tolerencing for a barrel
https://twitter.com/GenerMo/status/1551164071982022657?t=WzLdCEBSYc5PhA9D5gmpxA&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

KitConstantine posted:

I had to share this here - if legit that seems like some rough tolerencing for a barrel
https://twitter.com/GenerMo/status/1551164071982022657?t=WzLdCEBSYc5PhA9D5gmpxA&s=19

Literally on the last page. Who gave you that star?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Probably found it on some black market Soviet hardware.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm a gbs mod. If I wasn't an idiot I wouldn't be qualified

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fair point.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s not that they drilled the barrel wrong, poo poo happens. It’s that they just shrugged and we’re like, eh, gently caress it and it continued on through what had to be multiple inspection and test steps between the fabrication of the barrel, mounting it to its receiver and installing it and on up the chain of higher level assemblies. All the way through delivery to the military and then down to unit and finally to a crew.

Surely someone noticed?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

It’s not that they drilled the barrel wrong, poo poo happens. It’s that they just shrugged and we’re like, eh, gently caress it and it continued on through what had to be multiple inspection and test steps between the fabrication of the barrel, mounting it to its receiver and installing it and on up the chain of higher level assemblies. All the way through delivery to the military and then down to unit and finally to a crew.

Surely someone noticed?

A better question: did anyone in that chain care?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Murgos posted:

Surely someone noticed?

Probably someone that doesn’t exist, still gets paid, and that paycheck goes into the same bank account as their team leader or manager.

there’s grift and corruption in play at every level there

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Digging around that reddit thread (ugh), it seems like it's possible that it's intentionally manufactured like that in order to take advantage of barrel whip to extend the range of the fired shell, but then again that could easily have been Russian trolls saying that.
So using Occam's razor when it comes to all this, well...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Digging around that reddit thread (ugh), it seems like it's possible that it's intentionally manufactured like that in order to take advantage of barrel whip to extend the range of the fired shell, but then again that could easily have been Russian trolls saying that.

Is that the Russian artillery equivalent of pushing your 9 forward when you shoot to throw the bullets harder?

edit: Also, if that was a thing, then the Ukrainians would know about it and practice that for themselves since they basically have all the same doctrine the Russians do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Godholio posted:

*Russian bomber bombs itself*

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Murgos posted:

Surely someone noticed?

My guesses:

1. It was rejected midway through production and thrown into a pile, then pulled out of the pile and finished because they needed to meet quota.

2. They ran out of the carbide inserts they use for turning the outside and just said "gently caress it"

3. They had all the tools and supplies to do it right, but skipped every step they could to meet quota.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
4: limited supply of steel because anything over the bare minimum was stolen by the boss, not enough materials to redo it and make quota.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A masterclass MS paint tutorial

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1551415164821540864

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Special operation is my passion!

That art should be on the wall of vkusno-i tochka labeled “by Oleg age 5” next to the playpen made out of destroyed T-72s and old car batteries

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

The craziest thing about this delivery technique is that for a few years in the 50s, the only plane that could carry a nuke off of a carrier was a prop-driven ground attacker, and this was seen as the only way the pilot had a fleeting chance of survival.

Later on they added a rocket to the back of the bomb to give the pilot an extra minute or two to get low, fast, and put his rear end to the blast.

You can also see this delivery method "demonstrated" by looking up DCS MiG-21 toss bombing on YouTube.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I mean

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is he wearing a double banzai bandana for double the kamikaze

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I mean, Occam wins hands down here, because that isn't a thing. If you want to shoot something more distant you tilt the gun's barrel up. Just think about it - if you instead deliberately induce barrel whip to add some sideways velocity to the projectile, now the projectile isn't flying pointed straight along its ballistic arc, which is all kinds of awful.

Another point against the idea: conservation of energy. All the energy comes from propellant, and there isn't any more of that burning up just because the barrel is whipping around. The energy used to "whip" (flex) the barrel is energy which could be used to make the projectile depart the gun faster. You're also going to be losing more energy to friction between projectile and barrel.

If the gun's ballistic performance isn't good enough for the range you want to shoot, you need to improve it the normal boring way: make the gun stronger, issue hotter ammunition.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Go read this article about the siege of Azovstal:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/24/world/europe/ukraine-war-mariupol-azovstal.html

I'm not copying and pasting it here, because you need the pictures. But here's the intro as a teaser:

quote:

The two Mi-8 helicopters tore across enemy territory early on the morning of March 21, startling the Russian soldiers below. Inside were Ukrainian Special Forces fighters carrying crates of Stinger and Javelin missiles, as well as a satellite internet system. They were flying barely 20 feet above ground into the hottest combat zone in the war.

Ukraine’s top generals had conceived the flights as a daring, possibly doomed, mission. A band of Ukrainian soldiers, running low on ammunition and largely without any communications, was holed up in a sprawling steel factory in the besieged city of Mariupol. The soldiers were surrounded by a massive Russian force and on the verge of annihilation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

xposting

LifeSunDeath posted:

any clue what this stuff is? It reminds me of anti bird spikes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This SDO & SMO update is 3 days old. Held the conference on a Friday, transcript didn't go up until this morning. It also looks less human-edited than usual, so some machine translation weirdness going on. For example, I suspect they were discussing the Forward Edge of Battle, not the Ford Edge of Battle.

As usual, intro blurb, then excerpts as I arbitrarily decide.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3103383/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

tl;dr:
-Ukraine continues to be precise with HIMARS targeting, morale high
-Russian forces imprecise and indiscriminate in targeting, morale low
-Russia still gaining territory, taking heavy losses to do so
-Aid looking longer term than immediate fight (this has been a theme for probably 3-6 weeks now)
-No Russian advances north vic Izyum, limited RLF advances vic Bakhmut,
-Russian claims of destroying HIMARS are false.
-US supplying 105mm ammo to feed the UK-offered 105mm light howitzers (L119)
-Ukraine effective with Phoenix Ghost, but no clarification on what that means or how. Aid of total of 580 Phoenix Ghosts expected to keep them supplied through August. (This is a big increase from initial announcement of 100 drones months ago)
-No US plan to transfer any aircraft beyond UAVs to Ukraine, and there is no ongoing US pilot training of Ukrainians
-US conducts information sharing, but US does not pick targets for Ukraine to strike
-Russian passive and active defense efforts vs HIMARS of limited effectiveness thus far

quote:

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Great, thank you. What I thought I would do is just touch on from a policy vantage point what we're seeing on the ground in the international community and then go through today's announcement of additional security assistance very briefly. So, in terms of the situation on the ground, it's increasingly clear that we're seeing Ukraine employing very precise, very accurate targeting of critical Russian positions with their HIMARS, and we're seeing the Ukrainians have strong morale as they maintain their fight. That's juxtaposed with what we're seeing from Russia, which is, you know, completely indiscriminate targeting, resulting in civilian casualties. They're paying a high price for every inch of territory that they try to take or hold. And we're seeing very low morale from the Russian forces.

So, I think that encapsulates kind of how we view the situation. Right now, in the international context. We had a terrific week here in the Pentagon, as we saw Secretary Austin host the Ukraine defense contact group. And certainly, we heard, you know, strong messages of support for Ukraine. But the thing I want to emphasize is that it wasn't just rhetoric; we were very pleased to hear a number of new announcements of concrete support that's really going to help Ukraine in this current fight, everything from artillery and ammunition to air defense and coastal defense capabilities.

And then, the other theme of the discussion was about sustainability because we are there for Ukraine for the long haul. So, with that, I just want to touch on our announcement today. Today, we announced 270 million in additional security assistance for Ukraine. This includes a presidential drawdown of 175 million, as well as a 95 -- 95 million in Ukraine security assistance initiative funds. So, in terms of the presidential drawdown, this is the 16th such drawdown since August of 2021.

And the capabilities in this package are going to be useful on the battlefield immediately. They include for additional HIMARS, that's the High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems and additional ammunition for the HIMARS for command post vehicles. 36,000 rounds of 105-millimeter ammunition. And the thing to note about that is this is ammunition that is actually going to support a donation that the United Kingdom is making of howitzers. And this is something that we do quite frequently where we match countries that maybe have one part of a capability with another donor country to create a complete capability for the Ukrainians. It's something that EUCOM has been facilitating through their cell in Stuttgart, Germany.

And then the package also includes additional anti-armor, weapons, spare parts, and other equipment. In addition to the presidential drawdown package today, we announced under the Ukraine security assistance initiative that we will provide Ukraine with up to 580 Phoenix Ghost tactical unmanned aerial systems; the Ukrainians have been making excellent use of the Phoenix Ghost system. So, this action allows us to go out and procure from industry additional capability. That's where USAI is different from drawdown. This is actually a procurement action.

And with the Phoenix go system, what we'll be able to do is ensure steady deliveries of this capability, starting in August, to ensure that the Ukrainian Armed Forces have a continual supply of this capability. So, that brings us up to $8.2 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden administration, and we're not going to stop there. We're going to keep evaluating Ukraine's requirements, keep working to support them to meet their battlefield needs, and I will stop there and hand it over to (inaudible).

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Thanks, (inaudible). And good afternoon, everybody. Good to be back with you. 149th day of Russia's illegal and unprovoked large-scale invasion of Ukraine, we just give you a quick run around the battlefield. And it won't take long because there really have not been significant gains by the Russians anywhere. The -- In fact, I would say in the north, no advance, really at all by the Russians along the axis from Izyum, down towards Sloviansk. And I think, you know, given the -- the comments by the Russians weeks ago, that they were going to get into Sloviansk, that is not met -- has not come through. And so, defenses by the Ukrainians continue to be strong. We are seeing an increase of Russian activity vicinity, BOC moot, but again, the advances there are very small, and the Russians were paying a heavy price for it. As -- as (inaudible) mentioned there before, we continue to see increased signs of discipline and morale problems in the Russian and the Russian army. And we talked a little bit about this last week, as well.

And over the past couple of weeks, the Ukrainian will continue to be incredibly strong. And -- and what we're seeing is -- is that will kind of, you know, push the Russians around pretty -- pretty decently. And speaking of which, so in Kherson in the south over the past week, we've seen the Ukrainians make advances now, taking portions of villages, and really given -- given a good fight to the Russians in the sound. I know some folks are interested in the maritime piece a dozen -- a dozen or so ships at sea for the Russians in the Black Sea, several of them caliber capable. And then one -- one thing I'd like to just hit before we get going is a comment about the HIMARS.

I think there was a report that the Russians had destroyed for HIMARS in -- in Ukraine, that as of this morning, in our conversations with Ukrainian that is, that is not true. And -- and so all of the HIMARS continued to really to be a thorn in the Russian side and over the past week, continue to prosecute targets related to command and control ammunition, and logistics, support areas, all of those having a very significant effect on the Russians ability to mount offensive operations, and continue anything that they're -- they're intending to do. So, anyways, I'll hold there look forward to answering and -- and talking to you.

Q (AP): Yeah. What is the U.S. -- does the U.S. have any plans in place to transfer more airplanes? Sort of, generally, an overview would be great of what the U.S. is doing and what you foresee in the future in terms of getting Ukraine more airplanes, which is something I know they've asked for.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: At this point, the Ukrainians operate a MiG and Sukhoi fleet. And the United States does not have either aircraft. But we -- we do know that we have been able to support the Ukrainians with a number of spare parts and other equipment to be able to better sustain their existing fleet and keep it -- keep it in the battle. So, but we have not transferred any U.S. aircraft; our focus on the air-to-ground peace has been on the -- the UAVs that I was just talking about.

Q (NPR): ... And for the military official, I'm hearing that the Russians are doing a lot more defensive work digging in and also bringing more tanks. And if you could offer anything on that.

SMO: ... And then the second part about Russian defenses, I think, you know, again, we talked a little bit about this last week. They have slowed down considerably. And again, the -- the HIMARS isn't a silver bullet. We haven't thought it was a silver bullet from the beginning. But we know that the HIMARS is having an effect and their ability to mount offensive operations.

And when you aren't able to conduct an offensive operation, the way to preserve your life is to dig in. We -- I would expect they certainly are creating places where they're -- they're digging defenses, with an expectation that they might be attacked, but in a lot of cases are digging defenses because they're able to -- or the sort of the Ukrainians are able to fire now they're tubed artillery, in large amounts, because they've been able to eliminate the enemy's ability to respond because of limitations. So, I do think that we're seeing folks dig in -- in defensive positions.

Q (WAPO): ... I know that you said that there have not been any U.S. planes sent there to date. But are there any plans to begin training U.S. -- Ukrainian -- Ukrainian pilots, other crew members on U.S. planes, U.S. systems for future planning? ...

SDO: On -- on pilot training, we do not have any -- any pilot training underway, ... I don't have any -- any information on any plans, specific plans on pilot training.

[My poster's note: people sure are geared up about airplanes]

Q (WSJ): No, if I could just follow up, though, the White House said that the deal DoD is looking at fighter jets – it’s the first time we've heard of that kind of advanced technology. I just think the public deserves some kind of insight about what precisely is happening at the Pentagon; we've heard this from the White House, we have no details on what it is at the Pentagon. It is looking at about fighter jets. Specifically, that was the White House reference in terms of what DoD is doing.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: For the immediate fight, that is not something that we are looking at; we are certainly engaged in a larger discussion with the Ukrainians about their future force needs. And we are looking across the entire range of capabilities to include aviation capabilities for that set of Future Force needs. But that is not something that we're looking at to support on the battlefield today.

Q (Fox News): Back to the HIMARS. Earlier this week, Ukraine's defense minister says that Ukraine needs at least 100 HIMARS or MLRS. So, I'm wondering, what's the reason for -- for not sending more, and why the U.S. is specifically sending four of them at a time.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, Liz, I'll answer that one. First of all, I would say as an Army officer, I never had enough, right. I mean, every time I did something, I wanted to have some more. And I expect that that's a very similar situation in Ukraine. No doubt they, the Ukrainians in particular, let alone the Russians, are seeing the effect of the 12 HIMARS that we've had there. And if you just extrapolate numbers, you'd like to think that that would have an equal effect.

Now, that said, we spend a lot of time talking to Ukrainians about what they need, in particular, how that will be employed. And then, as you would expect, we do. We're trying to be responsible. You're, we also take a look at, you know, that we balance our readiness and the impact ours. That's not to say that we are at a point where we're concerned, but -- But right now, we've been asked for, you know, 16; you saw the last four proved here. And that's what we're providing to the Ukrainians.

Now one other point, it's important to note that we're not the only ones that are providing this type of capability. And so, there are other countries out there that are able to provide this. I'll leave that to them to talk to you about it. But -- But certainly, they will be the synergy of those effects. We'll be able to hit the battlefield here in short order.

Q (Fox News): Q: Is the U.S. specifically waiting on other countries to send more before we, the U.S., would?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: No, I don't think we're doing that, Liz. I think you know, again, you know, the Contact Group is a great example. This is this past week. I mean, there's, there's, as you all have seen, I mean, there's some pretty super unity across the world right now in terms of how we're trying to get after this fight. And so, everybody is offering up various, not everybody, certainly, but -- but a lot of people -- organizations and countries, most countries, not organizations, strike that, Liz. A lot of -- a lot of countries are providing effects to the Ukrainians, we just happen to be one of them. And we're certainly proud to be a part of that group of people who are doing so.

Q (The Independent): Alright, one more follow-up if I may. Is the U.S. able to talk about being able to talk about us, to help with targeting, and the is a U.S. helping to pick targets, okay targets, that sort of thing?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: We don't pick the targets. I think everybody knows that you know, we are working on information with Ukrainians, we've got a great relationship with them. So, we don't pick the target. You know, and I'll just leave it at that.

Q (Defense News): All right, thanks so much for taking my question. We've heard a couple of times now; Chairman Milley yesterday said again on this call that the Russians haven't been able to destroy any HIMARS provided to Ukraine. One can we get some insight into why, you know, we've heard generally that the Ukrainians have used these effectively, but why haven't the Russians been able to hit them? And then also, has Russia been able to use its own equipment to intercept HIMARS projectiles? And if not, why not? Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So, Joe, all good questions. First of all, I got to tell you; I think this speaks to the -- to the exceptional abilities of the Ukrainians; I mean, you've got, you've got something out there that is inflicting a level of damage on the Russians that we know that they're having a hard time sustaining. And so, you know, that they're probably the most haunted things in all of Ukraine. And -- and again, the ability for these men and women to shoot, move, and stay alive is just exceptional. And so, I would say it's good, I think because their technical expertise is, would be my answer to you. In terms of the interception of HIMARS, we do have indications that they would like to intercept the HIMARS. You know, given the use of them now over a month, I'm sure they're there a couple of rounds that they were probably successful and intercepting. But if you look at the level of damage that the Ukrainians are inflicting on the Russians, they clearly are not intercepting very many. And so, I'll just leave it at that, no doubt they're going to continue to try. And, you know, it's really something to watch -- to watch these men and women from the Ukrainian side.

Q (WAPO): Hey, thank you. We heard from a senior U.S. defense official yesterday that there's about 100 high-value targets that Ukraine has taken out on the Russian side. And that, assumingly, that would cause some chaos in the Russian system. Can you flesh that out a bit in terms of what you're seeing in terms of how the Russians have to adjust whether they need to jump their command posts more frequently? And I guess how this fits into a bigger picture if the Ukrainians are launching a counter-offensive?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, sure, Dan. The first of all, we are seeing indications that the Russians are trying to adjust for the effect that the HIMARS are having on them. As I mentioned before, and as we've talked about before, that, you know, the Ukrainians have concentrated a great deal of effort on the Russian command and control their logistics supply areas, to include all sorts of classes of supply in particular ammunition. And so, as a result, you know, the Russians are attempting to mitigate those effects, through a number of means, camouflage movement, changing locations. And I, you know, I mean, I couldn't tell you what level of effect you're having. But it doesn't seem to be that good. You know that. And again, if you look at the mean, the real effect that I think the Ukrainians are having is when they hit these ammunition supply locations, as an example, or command and control, they may be well behind the Ford Edge of the battle. But the Ford Edge of the battle can't do anything. You know, we know from the way that the Russians fight that they need someone to tell them what to do. And when you are able to kill the people that tell him what to do, you're able to stop those -- those -- those folks from moving forward. And we continue to see that. So, I think their effect is -- is getting better and better.

Q (Tom Squitieri): Thank you. Good afternoon. Earlier this week, Ukrainian officials were talking about launching a counter-offensive into the Crimea. Are they ready to do that now? And if not now, when would they be ready? Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: I'll leave that up to the Ukrainians. Yeah, I'm not going to comment on -- on what they plan to do in the future.

Q: I didn't. I didn't ask you to comment on what they plan to do, sir. I asked you are they capable from your military perspective?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Listen, we've been -- we've been talking about Ukrainian since, you know, February 23rd-24th. And in a lot of cases, a bunch of us -- and that's everyone, in some cases, underestimated the capabilities of Ukrainians. So, I would -- I would not hazard a guess is what they are capable or not capable of at this point other than to tell you, as I said at the beginning, I think their will speaks a great deal for what they want to do. And when they set their mind to it, they seem to do it.

Q: Thanks for lot appreciate that.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Sure.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: And Heather, the second question, I think, is, have we seen evidence of firing of calibers this week? So, it was a second question.

Q: Yes, please.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: You know, that's -- I don't know. I'm not sure if we have or not the last -- the last caliber I know was fired that I'm tracking was the one that killed 22 civilians last week.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's applique armor to protect from submunition bomblets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TankPorn/comments/6m3puy/panzerhaubitze_2000_hull_down_in_northern/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TankPorn/comments/c7d9s2/panzerhaubitze_2000_with_rubber_hedgehog_armor/

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

-US conducts information sharing, but US does not pick targets for Ukraine to strike

"Here's some juicy targets. You don't have to hit these but uh, why wouldn't you?"

And Ukraine gets the benefit of an intel collection and target determination system 50 years and $trillions$ in the making.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is an interesting thread re some UKR volunteers vs FSB, not familiar with the source, but Russian media seems to not like him, Bellingcat put it on my TL.
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1551535542180929536

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Because cannons work just like trebuchets?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

highme posted:

This is an interesting thread re some UKR volunteers vs FSB, not familiar with the source, but Russian media seems to not like him, Bellingcat put it on my TL.
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1551535542180929536

How do you foil a standing offer to defect? Hostages?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The story is a fun read. Won’t spoil it for you.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
All the Russian pilots look to be in their 40s or older. I'm not seeing any mid-20s pilots in the mix like you'd see elsewhere.

Possibly another indication of lack of investment in training ?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Baconroll posted:

All the Russian pilots look to be in their 40s or older. I'm not seeing any mid-20s pilots in the mix like you'd see elsewhere.

Possibly another indication of lack of investment in training ?

There's been a lot of discussion about how few flight hours Russian pilots get. I'm guessing they just don't want to trust their planes to people who have the same level of experience as your average American hobby pilot.

And the remaining technically-minded Russians have already fled for Dubai or Switzerland.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alan Smithee posted:

*Russian bomber bombs itself*

A couple of planes have shot themselves down by underflying and overtaking bullets they fired.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Godholio posted:

A couple of planes have shot themselves down by underflying and overtaking bullets they fired.

Glenn Miller is reputed to have bought it after another allied plane dropped its payload on his bomber...

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

Or bombs. Who sometimes decide they don't like being let go into the world and hurry back home.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs&t=110s

:stare:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

cult_hero posted:

Glenn Miller is reputed to have bought it after another allied plane dropped its payload on his bomber...

That story got debunked and the current theory is that his plane (a small single engine aircraft, not a bomber) flew into bad weather and iced up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
sfw despite twitter tag, no gore or anything

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1552310825553100800?s=20&t=UV1mRNWgd93qRZswWYLKXg

I like the moment where you see him look over all 'why is the gun crew laughing?'