Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For recent interruptible stuff that does actually matter, Dragonsong Ultimate door bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I remember doing so many stuns and silences in old ARR Haukke that the LB bar would be full by the first boss, because interrupts give a bonus to the gauge.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
EW spoilers: The EW Role Quest's big final duty does rely on Interject a few times, which I didn't get at first since I had never used it since the early levels where it never had any effect.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

EW spoilers: The EW Role Quest's big final duty does rely on Interject a few times, which I didn't get at first since I had never used it since the early levels where it never had any effect.

I think this is the biggest problem: Interruptible abilities are the exception, not the rule, so you get used to ignoring the fact you even have it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, that was some wild stuff. I basically had to remind myself the mechanic existed.

Even after a year+ in-game, I only started consistently recognizing interruptible bars after I started Blue Mage and got into Masked Carnivale fights. There are lots of mobs in there with nasty slow casts, and it pays to become the Master of the Flying Sardine.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like a lot of early game problems would be smoother if the Active Help Tutorial or whatever it is didn't come up while you're in the middle of a dungeon, which as we all know is the best time to stop running and read several paragraphs of information. Generally I'll close it immediately, catch up to the party members who have already ran halfway to the next boss, and then forget to check what it actually said.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the active help popups might be the most consistent source of outdated information anyways

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Monarch posted:

Thanks for the PF advice. And yea I definitely got a bad feeling seeing the ones listed like "learning party using 2f 3i 2-2 KNOW THE STEP DANCE!!!"

usually the learning parties with alphabet soup in them have later prog points. when it comes to learning savage raid fights, it's generally bit of a faux pas to join a pf that's progging a late-fight mechanic or is advertised as enrage-to-clear if you're fresh to a fight and haven't at least seen the latest mechanic the pf is ostensibly learning. it's when a pf is advertised as learning mechanic x but after half an hour in the instance you haven't even seen it once that some people get a bit salty.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

Related to enemy cast bars, possibly the most important of the assorted semi-hidden HUD layout choices is making it very large like this (image stolen from some random reddit post. Coincidentally, it is an example of the bar for an interruptible cast):

And a little example of the game providing an anti-tutorial, since the elemental sprites in the overworld have the most common interruptable abilities new players will see, except they cast so fast you'd need the reflexes of an olympic fencer to actually interrupt them

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think that was it, interject rarely worked for me because I'd usually cast it just a smidge too late.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I did it, I got everything up to 90 (for combat jobs). Time to never log in again apart from raids and playing The Sims: Final Fantasy version with my house.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I did it, I got everything up to 90 (for combat jobs). Time to never log in again apart from raids and playing The Sims: Final Fantasy version with my house.

You're implying you haven't done DoH/L or possibly BLU.

You've got work to do bucko.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not overly interested in DoH/L, and I've already have BLU to 70 and got every single spell for it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you should work on the noncombat jobs anyway, they have nice storylines and some of the better daily tribe hubs + if you can deal with the tediousness of completing the entire blu spellbook then working on gathering/crafting logs should be easy

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Tekopo posted:

but do you have sufficient dress-up items for everyone

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

An extra-salty chapter of my life begins.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ya got the goof!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gufa Troop

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want to make a PLD glamour set that is just like, a comfortable and utilitarian looking set of leather armor. Is that feasible? Am at the tail end of Shb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Calaveron posted:

I want to make a PLD glamour set that is just like, a comfortable and utilitarian looking set of leather armor. Is that feasible? Am at the tail end of Shb

Does a leather jacket count? If so the second NieR raid's up your alley. As for armor... I'll have to poke around.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

AV has a pretty good black set. The glovws and boots have little triangle spikes, but the legs and chest are simple leather. Any DoW can use it

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 26, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Calaveron posted:

I'd expect so. The best bet is just look at the marketboard and see what the crafted stuff looks like. It's all there to look at and you can buy most of it from npc vendors. There's definitely sets that look far lighter than plate at least.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There's the replica sky pirate stuff, that looks pretty thin. The Fending chest is just a coat

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's a cloth set with a lion's head in HW zones for tanks. It has a visor where it either shows your face or the lion face.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Something like light armor, a simple chest plate, bracers, regular boots/pants with maybe knee guards

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The stuff from Bozja is fairly nice; not too fancy but not boring either. You do need to finish Shadowbringers to reach that activity, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even the low-level light armor has more greebles and furbelows than I would generally expect from basic videogame armor.

Don't ignore crafting/gathering gear if you're looking for simple glams, though. Some of the smithing gloves are just nice, simple forearm-length leather gloves.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Calaveron posted:

the gazelleskin coat and tigerskin coat of fending are both stormblood crafted sets that should fit the aesthetic

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

One nice thing 14 does compared to WoW is that if you interrupt an interruptible cast then the mob will usually stand there doing nothing until what would have been the end of the cast. There's no incentive to play latency chicken with the cast bar for ~efficiency~, you can just press head graze when you see a blinking cast bar.

Another nice thing 14 does is that it doesn't have a billion goddamn interrupts everywhere, but I guess mileage will vary on how much of a plus that is. I do admittedly wish squeenix did something with dungeon trash. Not a dozen interruptible casts on every mobs, but something that's not indicator spam.

Related to enemy cast bars, possibly the most important of the assorted semi-hidden HUD layout choices is making it very large like this (image stolen from some random reddit post. Coincidentally, it is an example of the bar for an interruptible cast):

The default UI isn't terrible but there are a lot of things placed in the periphery that you definitely don't want in the periphery, as well as some very useful options hidden in the hud layout section for individual hud items. Simple job gauges, for example, or the split buff/debuff display settings.
Don't sleep on this one, it's a huge quality of life improvement. The default castbar location is god awful and easy to miss so putting it low and large and centered makes it a lot easier to notice what's being cast and when. Even if there's nothing interruptable just noticing a tankbuster incoming or whatever can be a big help.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I just want something that’s like a chest plate over a tunic

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I always liked the Crystarium Guard uniform, but, I doubt it's what you're looking for.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The uraeus body armor might be close. I don't really like it, it's got weird sleeves, but maybe you will.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

The cotton tabard is kind of like that. It's a low level craftable. Probably for sale in some vendor. I like it a lot and use it in my main glamor, actually

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/648d48fbfec

this might work

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Doman Steel Tabard of Fending

I like "street-level" looking gear a lot, especially since as a big RP nerd my amateur moron shouldn't be rocking FF protag armor and gear that glows and all, at least not yet.

And since I looked into my screenies folder for that, more glam shots:

Eastern Musketeer!

Alternate Reality Garlean!

That point where you enjoy playing a class in pvp and leveling rous but it's level 50 and your glam options are limited!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Back when ARR came out and the relic reborn Chimera trial was cutting edge content I had groups wipe there to ram's/dragon's voice unless a bard was silencing them. We were bad then.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
LunarCon is just a few days away, starting this Friday, so if you're interested in visiting on your character and need to DC Travel (it's largely on Crystal's Brynhildr server, with a club on Malboro), you might want to do so in the next day or two. With as many people that showed up for last year's, I imagine DC Travel will be slammed Friday morning.

If you can't or don't want to visit in-character/person, almost everything will be streamed so you can watch those instead. They updated the website recently with a schedule for events and panels, which includes links to the stream channels at the top.
https://twitter.com/LunarConXIV/status/1551697078308315136?t=UIn_pv85HT4_fZs29okBHg

Onean fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 27, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
One Jesse Cox will be making an appearance at this as well :3:

https://twitter.com/LunarConXIV/status/1552051137381031936

I remember when Jesse was so against playing the game and now he's probably one of the biggest fans of the game. To the point where he's getting a statue made for his WoL:

https://twitter.com/MediaRhoades/status/1550311876055138304

(I have also contacted this guy and plan on getting one for mine as well)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jealous...
Well done!

I did Lara Croft a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Jealous...
Well done!

I did Lara Croft a while back.

If you're going for the short shots and blue top combo you should be a mechanist!