Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
On the plus side, you can finally grow rice and mango in Siberia. Maybe move all the Bangladeshis to Siberia and that place even more far east which I can never remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's called the hockey stick effect, or also the clathrate gun: global warming "unlocks" reservoirs of greenhouse gases that were previously frozen, which suddenly kicks global warming into much higher gear than a steady drumbeat

this is also the primary reason why we're hosed no matter what we do

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Junkozeyne posted:

You can't rule out London as the place to develop and test exciting new ways to do financial crimes. It's basically subsidizing the rest of the country

when the United Kingdom falls the City of London will simply conquer it from the inside, like the Duchy of Moscow

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

God between that tweet thread about how much national GDPs reflect the actual productive economy and their sad little navy it's really amazing how completely hollowed out the modern UK is. There's no "there" there, they don't make anything, they don't have that many resources, their military sucks, and so on. They're really just coasting on the surplus they stole from their colonies and the fact that they speak English. They're the failsons of history.

It's hard enough to get people to understand that the "City of London" is an incorporated entity distinct from the city of London, before explaining how the UK eats off of the City of London being the world's money launder.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cerebral Bore posted:

the chinese are too smart to shoot down pelosi. why would you take down someone who single-handedly renders the government of your main geopolitical rival completely ineffectual?

doesn't the uk have like literally four nuclear subs? even if they sent every single one of the fuckers i doubt that you could call it a fleet even being as charitable as possible

5 attack subs and four ballistic missile subs.

Mantis42 posted:

God between that tweet thread about how much national GDPs reflect the actual productive economy and their sad little navy it's really amazing how completely hollowed out the modern UK is. There's no "there" there, they don't make anything, they don't have that many resources, their military sucks, and so on. They're really just coasting on the surplus they stole from their colonies and the fact that they speak English. They're the failsons of history.

This is kinda a myth as far as I can tell. They have the 9th highest manufacturing output in the world with 1.8% of world total, with a large transport sector. Measured in real pounds manufacturing output doubled from 1958 to 2007. Productivity in the UK's steel industry increased by a factor of 8 between 1978 and 2006.
Obviously service stuff is increasing at a much higher rate and they're hardly a great power, but a hollowed out most powerful nation on the globe is still doing just fine as far as a smallish island goes.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's hard enough to get people to understand that the "City of London" is an incorporated entity distinct from the city of London, before explaining how the UK eats off of the City of London being the world's money launder.

I looked up their election process recently and if you could somehow avoid being killed it looked pretty easy to just take over.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm pretty sure the "Right Honorable Lord Mayor of the City of London" gets appointed the same way a Chamber of Commerce chair does.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does UK export decent amount of plane/train/power plants/other physical stuff, compared to Europe?

I know UK has a few high end auto brands, no nuclear plants solution because they are relying on France to build new plants. Oh yeah, Dyson stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wots all’is about London then bruv

(sincere question it sounds interesting)

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

lobster shirt posted:

papua new guinea has been having an election, and things look to be getting violent

https://news.pngfacts.com/2022/07/png-army-takes-control-of-port-moresby.html

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/471570/authorities-describe-png-violence-as-disturbing-inhuman

election results are going to be announced on friday, violence is probably likely then too. this violence doesn't seem all that much worse than it was during the last election in 2017, which is to say this doesn't look like some kind of color revolution, government overthrow, or impending coup or anything, but still not great.

Yeah, this election isn’t necessarily an outlier. When people talk about violence in Papua New Guinea, they often compare the stats to Syria. Unfortunately it’s really commonplace, especially in Port Moresby and southern highlands

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Cerebral Bore posted:

doesn't the uk have like literally four nuclear subs? even if they sent every single one of the fuckers i doubt that you could call it a fleet even being as charitable as possible

This is a very unfair attack. My city alone has over a dozen nuclear subs piled up in a graveyard.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm pretty sure the "Right Honorable Lord Mayor of the City of London" gets appointed the same way a Chamber of Commerce chair does.

yes but if the chamber of commerce had sovereignty. also the small number of flesh and blood humans who live in the City do get votes too but they don’t amount to anything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

As someone who is also basically a communist: the loving uyghurs probably have opinions about how lovely china is. And the Tibetans. And the LGBT community in china. Keep the tankie poo poo in cspam and stop licking authoritarian boot

What do you do with these people, seriously? I'm just going to get probed, aren't I.

Doesn't china have like, a whole bunch of openly gay pop stars or am I thinking of some other country?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What do you do with these people, seriously? I'm just going to get probed, aren't I.

Doesn't china have like, a whole bunch of openly gay pop stars or am I thinking of some other country?

You don't do anything with them. Maybe see if they get frothier and have a meltdown later.

Them using the words "tankie" and "authoritarian" means they'e just another anarcho-goober and while it's a shame this message board has a place where people like that feel comfortable posting all the time they do provide entertainment every now and then.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I've seen a lot of tankies parroting the line that the USSR single-handedly defeated the Nazis in WWII, so this tracks.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Slavvy posted:

You're fighting a fool's war over there

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

You're fighting a fool's war over there

You're right. I will now log off and play around with bicycles outside.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Slavvy posted:

You're right. I will now log off and play around with bicycles outside.

Literally wow the US state dept and assorted hangers on sure are making a lot of noise, I better take this seriously! - literal baby brain dummies who don't know poo poo

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Literally wow the US state dept and assorted hangers on sure are making a lot of noise, I better take this seriously! - literal baby brain dummies who don't know poo poo

This just reminded me of the anarchist troop podcasters upset at blowback pods very historical take on the Korean "war" and crying tankie tankie when faced with events as they occurred

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One more

quote:

Yeah I'm not gonna go on a point by point rebuttal or anything but that wiki article cites 510 different sources and I'm having a real loving hard time buying that it's all fake

Slavvy I'd like to suggest a book to you it's called "Red China Blues" and I found it very interesting

NOW I'm going outside

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Hmmmm who have more of a claim to nationalist Korean identity, the anti-Japanese guerrillas fighting for an independent Korea OR the comprador class of Japanese collaborators who immediately brought in death squads for cross border raids yeah it's a real toughie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you duel them to the death OP

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Slavvy posted:

One more

NOW I'm going outside

baby brains! literally too lazy to look at ANY of those imposing 150 sources themselves.

enjoy outside btw.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slavvy posted:

China is a really mixed bag, because people are mostly very culturally conservative, but not religiously conservative, which tamps down on the zeal of the hate.

So you get a lot of things like parents expecting their kids to be straight, but in the same way they expect them to get good grades and not do drugs.

But not "how dare gay people exist" batshit that the US or Russia or Saudi Arabia has. It leaves this uncanny valley where homophobia is widespread but not so blatant as to get much pushback.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Slavvy posted:

When they immediately start name calling "tankie" and don't actually engage with arguments nor provide anything substantial (lol just linking a Wikipedia article and nothing else) you've already established that there's no point engaging there. The auspol thread is equally bad. Just know that these people are mostly online wankers that will immediately cower and support fascism when the US starts poo poo. Focus your energy on studying theory, analyzing history and practicing revolutionary activities. Get out there and meet your fellow "tankies" they're far more attractive than those forum posters. Online libs don't understand dialectics or contradiction.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

This just reminded me of the anarchist troop podcasters upset at blowback pods very historical take on the Korean "war" and crying tankie tankie when faced with events as they occurred

Lmao, which one was this?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ikanreed posted:

China is a really mixed bag, because people are mostly very culturally conservative, but not religiously conservative, which tamps down on the zeal of the hate.

So you get a lot of things like parents expecting their kids to be straight, but in the same way they expect them to get good grades and not do drugs.

But not "how dare gay people exist" batshit that the US or Russia or Saudi Arabia has. It leaves this uncanny valley where homophobia is widespread but not so blatant as to get much pushback.

oh yeah like "whataboutism" or w/e but the elephant in the room is how we don't give a poo poo when our allies like KSA are religious fanatics executing people for being gay and also sorcerers, and committing genocide. Oh I mean liberals will tut tut and then go back for lusting for Chinese megadeath as the pundits roll out another round of "reformer" articles about the new king or w/e

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao, which one was this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3891477&pagenumber=1632&perpage=40#post525081046

"War Takes" which lmao has this banner:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmfao

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

All thanks to the podcast thread for that one

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Bill Kristol follows their twitter account lmao

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
The simple fact of the USA using Unit 731's "research" to wage biowarfare against Koreans ...

and then using confessions of such by US airman as an excuse for MK Ultra, claiming communist "brainwashing" spurred our research while it was already in the works at the time, the mind boggles at the evil

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

and people talk about the furry purge of SA like it was a bad thing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redneck nazgul posted:

I've seen a lot of tankies parroting the line that the USSR single-handedly defeated the Nazis in WWII,

Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1548360687633649669?t=1ecW8QBjuFMaNGD9urTcPw&s=19

Look at that poo poo

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Jul 27, 2022

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

One more

NOW I'm going outside

quote:

Slavvy I'd like to suggest a book to you it's called "Red China Blues" and I found it very interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_China_Blues posted:

Wong argues that the other forgotten hero of the Tank Man incident was the driver of the lead tank, who did in fact "exercise extraordinary restraint".[15]

lol

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Jin Xing, a trans woman who is a quite famous ballerina/TV host/actress, is the one major Chinese LGBT celebrity that comes to mind. Not sure how many there are aside from her.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows for LGBT folks in China, but I think that applies to LGBT folks in any part of the world. Same goes for ethnic minorities. I'm sure LGBT Chinese, Uyghurs and Tibetans have all sorts of opinions on China that range from "China bad" to "I just wanna grill" to "China #1." In my uninformed opinion, it seems like Chinese minorities have to deal with many of the ill effects of cultural conservatism western minorities do, with less threat of being beaten or shot to death in the street.

I'm on the last episode of Blowback season 3. It's very good. Got me real pissed off and whatnot. It's incredible to me how many western leftists can't understand how dangerous this white savior poo poo is. We can't even save ourselves lmao.

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Jul 27, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

while I wouldn't call it "extraordinary restraint" it's true that an American cop being blocked by a protestor would have just run him over

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Dude, it was trendy to have sex with squire in Ming dynasty. Chinese just don't talk about or treat gay people as separate group in law. You can be gay people freely, as long as you don't talk about it on tv.

I have issue with this western attitude that you have to keep breaking up groups into small groups and call that progressive.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Dude, it was trendy to have sex with squire in Ming dynasty. Chinese just don't talk about or treat gay people as separate group in law. You can be gay people freely, as long as you don't talk about it on tv.

I have issue with this western attitude that you have to keep breaking up groups into small groups and call that progressive.

pretty good for breaking up potential coalitions that would've united on class lines though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is similar to something the trans celebrity I mentioned a few posts ago said.

https://twitter.com/yaomeomeo/status/1447751115995373570?s=20&t=F6Acp8GlW8cE7-VhdvSNsA

https://twitter.com/yaomeomeo/status/1447753014832291840?s=20&t=F6Acp8GlW8cE7-VhdvSNsA

https://twitter.com/yaomeomeo/status/1447754087047438342?s=20&t=F6Acp8GlW8cE7-VhdvSNsA