Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm looking for a keypad door lock with a key override and a manual deadbolt. I saw the Schlage BE365 used to come highly recommended but recently changed their manufacturing process and is now shipping a ton of duds. Any recommendations? Wi-fi and other fancy features are totally unnecessary.

https://www.build.com/schlage-be489wb-cen/s1562942?uid=3710878

I'm happy with this. Wifi is actually great to add codes or unlock the door for the dogsitter or LOCK the door after the dogsitter because they didn't know how to use the keypad and managed to lock and then subsequently unlock the door before leaving every time.

It was $250 when I bought it though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

unknown posted:

Just ranting.. Why is it the small repair jobs always become big ones?

You pull the thread, you pay the price. This is also the reason I refuse to start any project on a Sunday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought a simple Schlage keypad lock for $200 a year ago and one of the buttons just fell off

It’s a rubber membrane thing like a TV remote so I couldn’t fix it, I just propped it back in place and changed the code to not use it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I never know which thread to post questions in. Might be better for the interior decorating thread but gently caress it :justpost:

Anyone have opinions/recommendations on outdoor shade for a screen porch? In terms of blinds/curtains sort of deal to block the setting sun.

We got our screen porch built last year, and it's great, except there's a 2-3 hour window in the afternoon/evening where the sun is low enough where it sneaks under the roof, but high enough where the neighbor's trees don't yet block it. WHile it's way more usable than the deck it replaced, this still makes it hard to use when it's 95 and sunny out and the kids are playing in the sprinkler or whatever.

Options appear to range from super cheap LowesDepot roll-up blind deals (either fabric or bamboo style), up to some $300-per-panel (so $600/section) Sunbrella outdoor curtains (which are supposedly weather-proof but I dunno).

The other issue being there are 3 sections on ~62" centers with 6x6 posts between them, so out-of-the-box doesn't seem like it's going to work for us.... 48", 72", and 96" seem to be the common widths for the roll-up style blinds, so if we went with that style it'd be custom order (which is still cheaper than the nicest weather-resistant curtains).

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

So I never know which thread to post questions in. Might be better for the interior decorating thread but gently caress it :justpost:

Anyone have opinions/recommendations on outdoor shade for a screen porch? In terms of blinds/curtains sort of deal to block the setting sun.

We got our screen porch built last year, and it's great, except there's a 2-3 hour window in the afternoon/evening where the sun is low enough where it sneaks under the roof, but high enough where the neighbor's trees don't yet block it. WHile it's way more usable than the deck it replaced, this still makes it hard to use when it's 95 and sunny out and the kids are playing in the sprinkler or whatever.

Options appear to range from super cheap LowesDepot roll-up blind deals (either fabric or bamboo style), up to some $300-per-panel (so $600/section) Sunbrella outdoor curtains (which are supposedly weather-proof but I dunno).

The other issue being there are 3 sections on ~62" centers with 6x6 posts between them, so out-of-the-box doesn't seem like it's going to work for us.... 48", 72", and 96" seem to be the common widths for the roll-up style blinds, so if we went with that style it'd be custom order (which is still cheaper than the nicest weather-resistant curtains).

I have the ridiculously expensive outdoor curtains (Tempotest, but basically same as Sunbrella) because where I have them they are exposed to elements 24/7. You can see them in the photo I posted on the previous page of my tojagrid assembly. I'm actually impressed at how well they have held up being outside 24/7 for over a year now, through the winter too.

That said, it sounds like your application is pretty well protected from the elements. I don't think you should spend that $$$$ on weather resistant curtains. The roll up blinds would probably be great for you, or if just some regular curtains with some kind of plain white backing facing outside. The white backing is just so there's no visible fading on the pattern of the curtain that you see (the side facing inside). Which one just depends on look at price, probably.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

CarForumPoster posted:

We've had a Schlage FE595 for 3 years and are very happy with it. Easy to add/delete codes when employees join/leave.

Hindsight 20/20 I will probably be adding a Z-Wave based security system like Ring and it'd be nice to have the door log attempts and successes to the security system.

EDIT: Also wish I could schedule locked times for codes. Outside of hours people should be there? Can't get in without certain code.

we use the schlage FE595 too and it's been great, just the right mix of not too "smart", reliable, and pretty easy to teach to dog walkers etc... also it means i no longer accidentally lock my wife out of the house...

for security we just have a wired arlo video doorbell and it's Fine

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

extravadanza posted:

I have the ridiculously expensive outdoor curtains (Tempotest, but basically same as Sunbrella) because where I have them they are exposed to elements 24/7. You can see them in the photo I posted on the previous page of my tojagrid assembly. I'm actually impressed at how well they have held up being outside 24/7 for over a year now, through the winter too.

That said, it sounds like your application is pretty well protected from the elements. I don't think you should spend that $$$$ on weather resistant curtains. The roll up blinds would probably be great for you, or if just some regular curtains with some kind of plain white backing facing outside. The white backing is just so there's no visible fading on the pattern of the curtain that you see (the side facing inside). Which one just depends on look at price, probably.

Cool, good to know the expensive curtains at least hold up like they claim. I'd hate to spend that much on a curtain only to have it fall apart from UV or mold up after rain.

And to be sure, ours would be slightly protected from weather, but not fully. Get a lot of wind-blown rain, but I would think a roll-up would be high enough to mostly stay out of harm's way.

I kinda go back and forth. We had a roll-up on our balcony from the PO and it was a total wreck... clung on to pollen, spider webs, and turned to a favorite wasp nesting location. Not sure how long it was up there, though, or if it was a quality or a cheap POS, but in addition to being grungy as hell, the plastic bits were brittle and broke easily from exposure.

But that said, I pass a house on my commute with a screen porch that has curtains all around and they kinda look like rear end. Yours look good with the open-air pergola sort of thing, but closing in the roof and having multiple sections really changes it... Not that ours would be visible to passers-by, though, so maybe a non-issue.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Getting new flooring installed
In the kitchen and they removed the fridge which came with the house…this is the back of it.

Any ideas wtf caused this? It’s a side by side fridge with icemaker/water dispenser
From 2004

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Oh, yeah, I've seen that on an Electrolux and I've heard it's common on Frigidaires. A refrigerant line inside is too close to the metal, making the metal cold, leading to condensation, leading to rust. It's a stupid design flaw. You may want to wire brush it down and paint it. Even better if you open it up and look to see if you can insulate it.

It's likely unrelated to the water line.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KS posted:

Oh, yeah, I've seen that on an Electrolux and I've heard it's common on Frigidaires. A refrigerant line inside is too close to the metal, making the metal cold, leading to condensation, leading to rust. It's a stupid design flaw. You may want to wire brush it down and paint it. Even better if you open it up and look to see if you can insulate it.

It's likely unrelated to the water line.

Awesome. So nothing with a “need to fix now”, but we’re replacing the fridge in the next year or two anyways so we should be good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

I would start with the $29.95 bamboo roll up thing and see if you can get two summers worth of use out of it, upgrade further if it's not holding up

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I would start with the $29.95 bamboo roll up thing and see if you can get two summers worth of use out of it, upgrade further if it's not holding up

We had those on west and south facing unshaded southern California (so like, no Arizona but also not kidding around) porches to provide shade and in front of some sliding glass doors as temperature insulation. They lasted a decade as long as you weren't constantly putting them up and down. They're not pretty by any stretch, and if you leave them rolled up and they get wet they will mildew something fierce but so will anything. They absolutely took 10 degrees off the window in the summer if not more just by stopping the sun from hitting it directly and giving a 6" buffer. Well worth it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

First hot day of summer in the new house - turned the thermostat to Cool and nothing happened. A/C is not turning on. I have no idea how to possibly diagnose this - do I just have to call someone? I checked the breakers and they are on. Is there any common thing people do to A/C units in the winter, some sort of deactivation?

Edit: I flipped the circuit breakers off and back on just for fun and it magically turned on.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 26, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harriet Carker posted:

First hot day of summer in the new house - turned the thermostat to Cool and nothing happened. A/C is not turning on. I have no idea how to possibly diagnose this - do I just have to call someone? I checked the breakers and they are on. Is there any common thing people do to A/C units in the winter, some sort of deactivation?

Edit: I flipped the circuit breakers off and back on just for fun and it magically turned on.

There is some procedure for resetting AC units that I can’t remember the specifics of, but it basically involves ‘turn everything to off, flip the breaker off for 20 minutes, try again’ and it works well. It’s worth getting someone out to check it out and service it though if it’s new to you. You never know how well or poorly the PO maintained things.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Harriet Carker posted:

I've lived in a few places with a lightswitch near the AC (maybe they all have this?) that just looks like a regular lightswitch. Once someone turned ours off (because they thought it was a random attic light with a bulb burnt out or something) and it took us a few hours to realize what they had done.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is some procedure for resetting AC units that I can’t remember the specifics of, but it basically involves ‘turn everything to off, flip the breaker off for 20 minutes, try again’ and it works well. It’s worth getting someone out to check it out and service it though if it’s new to you. You never know how well or poorly the PO maintained things.

Some also have a fuse box built into them. Maybe all? I dunno, ours does. On ours there's a little panel you flip and then a little cage with two cylindrical (little bigger than AA batteries) fuses and a handle that you can use to pull everything out. Ours was having annoying intermittent problems and it turned out the fuses and the leads had a little bit of corrosion on them. Cleaning the leads and rotating the fuses 90 degrees fixed the problem while I ordered some new ones. The replacements are still sitting in the closet because the old ones are still ticking with just that, but when they inevitably do die I'll have the replacements ready to go.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if you try to start the a/c and you hear a whine from the outdoor unit it's probably the capacitor.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some A/C units, usually the thermostat, have a start delay to avoid short cycling the compressor.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Thought I had a bad capacitor last week, of course on a Sunday when the parts houses were closed and Lowesdepot don't carry them. Called AC guy I know through work since he keeps caps on his van, he came out and the capacitor tested fine and it was the contactor that was bad. Glad he made it out otherwise I would have gone a night with no AC, tried to do the capacitor myself on Monday, and been no closer to fixing it for my trouble.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
A squirrel chewed through our screened in porch to get at tub of bird seed yesterday. Came home and the little fucker was stuck in there and climbing all over the place in a panic. So I opened the door and he bolted.

Came home today and presumably the same little fucker chewed his way in again to dig in the pot of one of my tomato plants.

I'm so pissed. The first time was a relatively small panel by the door, but this time it was one of the huge panels.

If he does it again I'm going to want to get murdery. I removed all food or food adjacent items from back there, but obviously this fucker has learned a new trick for scavenging.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Oh that's rough those are big screens.

I've had this happen in an apartment I was in. Came home one time to find the little rascal indoors burrowed into a sealed loaf of bread on a counter.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Final Blog Entry posted:

Thought I had a bad capacitor last week, of course on a Sunday when the parts houses were closed and Lowesdepot don't carry them. Called AC guy I know through work since he keeps caps on his van, he came out and the capacitor tested fine and it was the contactor that was bad. Glad he made it out otherwise I would have gone a night with no AC, tried to do the capacitor myself on Monday, and been no closer to fixing it for my trouble.
Pro HVAC tips:
-Always have a spare cap and contactor ready to go. There are plenty of YouTubes out there on how to replace both.
-Take pictures of all the wire connections before you disconnect anything so you can reference them later.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chad Sexington posted:

A squirrel chewed through our screened in porch to get at tub of bird seed yesterday. Came home and the little fucker was stuck in there and climbing all over the place in a panic. So I opened the door and he bolted.

Came home today and presumably the same little fucker chewed his way in again to dig in the pot of one of my tomato plants.

I'm so pissed. The first time was a relatively small panel by the door, but this time it was one of the huge panels.

If he does it again I'm going to want to get murdery. I removed all food or food adjacent items from back there, but obviously this fucker has learned a new trick for scavenging.

You're gonna have to kill or relocate him because now he's programmed.

I've installed large expanses of screen on my Mom's side porch.

I'd kill him.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I had squirrels get into my soffits and that was a nightmare. Use a have a heart trap with some peanut butter and drop him off a few miles away. Would have rather shot them but I live in town now so yeah. loving tree rats.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sloppy posted:

I had squirrels get into my soffits and that was a nightmare. Use a have a heart trap with some peanut butter and drop him off a few miles away. Would have rather shot them but I live in town now so yeah. loving tree rats.

My neighbor would catch them in a Hav-A-Hart.

Then drown 'em in an ash can

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sloppy posted:

My buddy had a raccoon problem in his shed. Killing them was illegal, dumping them elsewhere was illegal, and it cost several hundred dollars to pay pest control to go dump them in a farmer's field out in the country.

After some consideration, he decided that borrowing a live trap and administering subsonic .22LR rounds was more cost effective.

Something like 14 raccoons later, he and his shed finally knew peace.

. . . that being said, I wonder if since the squirrel is chewing through the screen, hosing it down with some form of capsaicin-based spray wouldn't do the trick?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My friends have raccoons in their attic. They’ve been a problem for years now and all attempts to get rid of them have failed. At this point they’re considering selling the house just to be rid of them.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

LanceHunter posted:

My friends have raccoons in their attic. They’ve been a problem for years now and all attempts to get rid of them have failed. At this point they’re considering selling the house just to be rid of them.

Good luck selling a house with an active infestation.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sell it to the raccoons IMO

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Enos Cabell posted:

Sell it to the raccoons IMO

Speciesism is rampant at banks. No way they'll get financing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Chad Sexington posted:

A squirrel chewed through our screened in porch to get at tub of bird seed yesterday. Came home and the little fucker was stuck in there and climbing all over the place in a panic. So I opened the door and he bolted..

Chewing through pet screening is a pretty remarkable feat that shows an impressive single-minded determination, you may have an unstoppable john wick of a squirrel here

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Eason the Fifth posted:

Chewing through pet screening is a pretty remarkable feat that shows an impressive single-minded determination, you may have an unstoppable john wick of a squirrel here

How many fatal squirrel attacks happen each year?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eason the Fifth posted:

My wife and I have been in the hospital waiting on the birth of our first. This gave John Wick squirrel opportunity (nobody on the porch for once!) and motivation (wife usually puts out bird seed, so the bounty of food suddenly dried up).

He also knocked over one of my security cameras.

This squirrel crossed the wrong guy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Elephanthead posted:

How many fatal squirrel attacks happen each year?

...with a fookin acorn

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
This is a pretty good time to ask about Groundhog removal. We have a family of groundhogs that have inhabited beneath our deck. We need to get rid of them for good before they damage our poo poo more than I already have to assume they have. My wife prefers a humane trap/release, personally I don't give a poo poo but I would like to honor her wishes. Is this something that I should just ask for on local social media for pricing/assistance? I'm thinking that's best but wanted to check in with fellow goons for sanity purposes. I can't honestly see myself doing the trapping/releasing so it would be hiring someone for sure.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Comfortador posted:

This is a pretty good time to ask about Groundhog removal. We have a family of groundhogs that have inhabited beneath our deck. We need to get rid of them for good before they damage our poo poo more than I already have to assume they have. My wife prefers a humane trap/release, personally I don't give a poo poo but I would like to honor her wishes. Is this something that I should just ask for on local social media for pricing/assistance? I'm thinking that's best but wanted to check in with fellow goons for sanity purposes. I can't honestly see myself doing the trapping/releasing so it would be hiring someone for sure.

Hire Bill Murray if you can afford it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Hire Bill Murray if you can afford it.

Seconding this. Hired him and the dude threw in same-day service.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So a little while ago I was posting about plumbing vent issues in that I'd regularly get sewer gas smells in the master bathroom when running water elsewhere in the house. I suspected that the plumbing vent terminated in the wall of the master bathroom instead of out through the roof, and upon hiring a company to resolve this we found...

As there was a notch in the top plate of the wall to accommodate a pipe going into the attic I don't think the PO didn't know or just forgot to do it, but man, what an annoying corner to cut. At least this means :ms: .

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Comfortador posted:

Check your local laws, trap and release is illegal in some places because you’re just making your pest someone else’s problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

GFBeach posted:

So a little while ago I was posting about plumbing vent issues in that I'd regularly get sewer gas smells in the master bathroom when running water elsewhere in the house. I suspected that the plumbing vent terminated in the wall of the master bathroom instead of out through the roof, and upon hiring a company to resolve this we found...

As there was a notch in the top plate of the wall to accommodate a pipe going into the attic I don't think the PO didn't know or just forgot to do it, but man, what an annoying corner to cut. At least this means :ms: .

Happy you found the issue but WTF was the PO thinking? LOL