Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

xenoblade 1 is way weirder about the girls in the party than xenoblade 2 imo, like all the girls in xenoblade 1 get jack poo poo to do or get shunted around a lot while the girls in the xenoblade 2 party are driving a fair amount of the plot and rex's motivation is largely living up to pyra's expectations for him, and morag and brighid get waayyyyyy more writing-wise than like, fuckin sharla, who basically vanishes from existence two hours after joining. the only girl who gets much of anything in terms of overall screentime is melia, and a lot of her stuff is tied into freaking kallian, a man in the running for 'most forgettable ostensibly important NPC in a jrpg.'

sharla's plot existence is like casting healing spells whenever someone gets stabbed in a cutscene and then the game going 'also her and reyn are gonna get together' despite them getting barely any onscreen time together, compared to like, the multiple scenes you get of morag and brighid talking about their deal and their backstory and stuff.

like im not gonna say the otaku jokes arent something people can dislike but to me i disliked how xenoblade 1 handled the girls in a writing sense way more than tora joking about maid play, and its weird how much discussions of sexisms in games basically begins and ends at perv jokes or outfits with approximately zero consideration given to how the characters are actually used in a narrative sense.

there's definitely an air of harem anime protag to rex and zeke's blade gets so little to do i literally cannot remember her name, and poppi is largely tora's comedy relief sidekick, but the one time the game deigns to give tora any amount of plot relevance poppi is right there with him, so fair's fair on that front. i liked the girls in xenoblade 2 a looot more than the ones in xenoblade 1 and at the end of the day that means a lot more to me than a couple lame jokes or pyra wearing short shorts.

Seven is female and she's Very loving Important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

shes also not around for 90% of the game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Junpei posted:

she kinda sucks though. her 5th skill branch is a good demonstration of why.

like say what you will about sharla but at least she doesn't have a skill tree that is entirely dependent on her being in a party with reyn

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game is legit amazing

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
XB1's top 3 fighters are unquestionably Shulk, Reyn and Dunban. Melia is strong DPS but she has no survivability, and since Reyn AI does not know how to hold aggro you are just asking to die over and over.

XB2 on the other hand the only male Blades I can think of that makes it to the top 10 tier list are awakened Dagas and Shulk with all the rest male blades being below average or straight up bad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

XB1's top 3 fighters are unquestionably Shulk, Reyn and Dunban. Melia is strong DPS but she has no survivability, and since Reyn AI does not know how to hold aggro you are just asking to die over and over.

XB2 on the other hand the only male Blades I can think of that makes it to the top 10 tier list are awakened Dagas and Shulk with all the rest male blades being below average or straight up bad.

I beat the 120 superboss controlling Melia directly, riki and reyn are fine as tanks. Heck you can make dunban a dodge tank

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

turn off the TV posted:

she kinda sucks though. her 5th skill branch is a good demonstration of why.

like say what you will about sharla but at least she doesn't have a skill tree that is entirely dependent on her being in a party with reyn

Yes having a bad fifth tree is definitely a problem exclusive to her.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lezard_valeth posted:

Melia has reflect so her survivability is actually kinda amazing. She can safely tank stuff like Titan Stamp if you time it right. Also, I think that the best overall DPS in the game is actually Seven with an auto attack focused build. She does tons of damage and is brain dead enough for the AI to be successful with her.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes having a bad fifth tree is definitely a problem exclusive to her.

Her fifth tree branch being mechanically bad has nothing to do with the game's writing. Her fifth tree being "i'm a pure maiden devoted to shulk" says a lot about her role in the story, though.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 27, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

lezard_valeth posted:

Wulfric, and corvin are both really good. corvin could be a top 10 maybe

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wulfric slaps, and corvin is surprisingly great for his combos. Plus the animations are awesome

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
50 hour mark.

Thread, don't play this game on hard unless you plan to over level a fair bit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BabyRyoga posted:

50 hour mark.

getting overleveled from doing sidequests is the natural Xenoblade experience so that shouldn’t be a problem

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Augus posted:

getting overleveled from doing sidequests is the natural Xenoblade experience so that shouldn’t be a problem

Yeah, I still have 10 levels in the bank I am not popping, But it's been a while since i've been able to beat a boss or unique monster without being 2-4 levels higher.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I have to admit I kind of hate the level of obfuscation that chain attacks have in 3. I have no idea what any of the TP bonuses are because the text sticks around on screen for about a quarter of a second and the game tells you to go gently caress yourself instead of providing a list of them. Some of my party set ups are really good at chain attacks and others are absolutely abysmal and there's not really enough information presented to know why.

BabyRyoga posted:

50 hour mark.

I've had unique monsters 10 levels below wipe my party on hard. AoE attacks don't give a poo poo about agro and if they kill your healers it's basically over.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Calaveron posted:

The xb2 scene with Zeke that includes Turters and a generic jrpg battle transition sight gag was anime but also really, really funny

Hopefully turters comes back in 3. The only returning character I care about

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Tabletops posted:

Wulfric, and corvin are both really good. corvin could be a top 10 maybe

Corvin is easily top 5. Ridiculously powerful and even more useful in some of the game's toughest fights. Only drawback is an affinity chart tied to plot progression.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

50 hour mark.

I just put things on easy and overlevel all the content so nothing in the game is remotely challenging

just exactly how I enjoy rpgs. relaxing :honked:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

and poppi is largely tora's comedy relief sidekick, but the one time the game deigns to give tora any amount of plot relevance poppi is right there with him, so fair's fair on that front.
Poppi does get some really good moments approaching and at the end;
Gently petting Rex after Pyra/Mythra are kidnapped, her talk with Mythra in Morytha about her fear of becoming an uncontrollable weapon (just like Mythra), and how she promises Pyra/Mythra to not help Rex at the end when he wants to save her.
Nothing like, hugely plot important, but good character work.
I think those are some of the strongest character moments for any character in the whole series.

So far!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hearing the English dub makes me understand people's issues with Tora a bit better. In Japanese he just sounds like a manic pikachu goblin (with a female VA) which makes him being a maid pervert come across as silly harmless fun. In English he sounds like a Welsh pedophile.

Dubs -- not even once.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dubs are for dupes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i do think theres a bit of a disconnect where people are reading tora as like, a 40 something manchild and not a 15 year old who been left alone in the woods with internet access. like he and poppi are operating on the same mental maturity level theres not really any power imbalance there, but if you read him as an adult it comes across much worse

not that its gold star material even as intended its still pretty rough, but,

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Poppi does get some really good moments approaching and at the end;
Gently petting Rex after Pyra/Mythra are kidnapped, her talk with Mythra in Morytha about her fear of becoming an uncontrollable weapon (just like Mythra), and how she promises Pyra/Mythra to not help Rex at the end when he wants to save her.
Nothing like, hugely plot important, but good character work.
I think those are some of the strongest character moments for any character in the whole series.

So far!

Poppi is cool. I like the stuff with Mythra a lot. I think it helps them both that they get these scenes with characters outside of who they usually interact with. Makes the party dynamics feel a bit more fleshed out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

n English he sounds like a Welsh pedophile.

drat i can't believe tora was in lostprophets

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nothing about Tora is worse than the lows that you'll get in like a modern Persona game. Poppi also owns a lot so I didn't mind that much, myself.

I'll be real though even listening to the dub I always thought Tora sounded very much like a kid/teen. That probably helped.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 27, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I ended up doing stuff to my Switch (this ended up being significantly harder than I expected, so I'm kind of shocked it ended up working out - had a couple times when I thought I hosed up and the whole process took like 5-6 hours) and can now play the game.

The cutscenes in this are remarkably good looking compared with Xenoblade 2, as well as the graphics in general. You really get the feeling that they were able to put much more effort into the game than XC2. Also the Japanese voice acting is extremely good (which isn't to imply otherwise about the English, just that this is what I'm playing with). As well as pretty much everything else; so far this basically feels like a sort of all-around upgrade to Xenoblade 2 in pretty much every respect (except arguably zone music, though I've only heard a few so far - it's still great, but Xenoblade 2 really excelled in this area, even compared with Xenoblade 1).

The full party is a bit overwhelming to deal with in combat, though the visual aids help a bunch for stuff like identifying who has aggro. I've been sort of rotating through everyone during (non-trivial) fights until I come across someone with unused Arts that it makes sense to use at the time (which happens often enough that I get the impression doing this likely results in a higher number of Arts cast overall than leaving it to the AI and only using a single character). I get the impression that a lot of the skill/strategy will come down to how you build your party, more than your actual button-pressing during combat.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gotta love when you finish a huge cutscene with tons happening, a fight starts, and right at the beginning you get like 4 screens of tutorials because so much just unlocked. this happens a lot in XBC2 as well ive read right?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite things in XC2 is how often you'd be winning a fight handily and then it would cut to a scene where you were dramatically losing the fight.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

leftist heap posted:

One of my favorite things in XC2 is how often you'd be winning a fight handily and then it would cut to a scene where you were dramatically losing the fight.

Same, but I actually hate this

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

RuBisCO posted:

Same, but I actually hate this

this happens in 3 a bunch so far.

I have to admit I kind of hate the level of obfuscation that chain attacks have in 3. I have no idea what any of the TP bonuses are because the text sticks around on screen for about a quarter of a second and the game tells you to go gently caress yourself instead of providing a list of them. Some of my party set ups are really good at chain attacks and others are absolutely abysmal and there's not really enough information presented to know why.

turn off the TV posted:

The biggest things ive found for mega boosting tp in chain attack is to match the role of the person who's order your going for, so like a defender in a defender chain gains bonus TP, as well as matching the person to the orders force, like if you start with noah, using Lanz and Eunie gives bonus TP as well because they're all kevesi, same for the other team.

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 27, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If the story dictates it I'd rather have that than 'unwinable boss fight you might use up a bunch of resources on before you realise you're supposed to lose'

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

3 has an encyclopedia of buffs and debuffs that unlocks new entries as you encounter them in the game. But also it doesn't include all of the buffs and debuffs. I have no idea what Art Follow-Up does and there's a class that's apparently built around it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
developer interview on nintendo, it says it was a video interview but i couldn't find an actual video of it

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-6-xenoblade-chronicles-3-part-1/

regarding characters not getting enough dialogue or being sidelined into obscurity in the plot, thought this was interesting that it made it in the Q&A

nintender posted:

Q: Indeed, when I played the game, I got the impression that all six characters were moving the story forward.

Takahashi: This time, I wanted to depict the feelings of the six main characters equally, so I tried to keep the word count of the dialogues as even as possible.
Of course, the central figures Noah and Mio have a few more lines, but compared to the first and second titles, which focused on the hero and heroine, you will notice that the other characters are also strongly involved in the story.
It may sound extreme, but I didn't want the other characters to just be nodding along toward the end of the game...

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Those who are playing, are side quests more like XB 1 or 2?

1 - You go to a town and collect maybe15-20 side quests. When you go into the field to explore, it seemed like every enemy was part of some side quest. Or every area had something to collect.

2- You get maybe 5-8 side quests at a time in each hub. They are much more dialog/story heavy and a lot of running back and forth. When going to the field to explore you end up having to use a wiki to find the location of the one or two mobs needed for the side quest.

I think I preferred the system in XB1. Sure, the quests pretty much boiled down to "collect X bear asses", but it was nice exploring everywhere knowing almost everything you killed contributed to a side quest. In XB2, I ended up just running past everything a lot, beelining for my target.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

3 has an encyclopedia of buffs and debuffs that unlocks new entries as you encounter them in the game. But also it doesn't include all of the buffs and debuffs. I have no idea what Art Follow-Up does and there's a class that's apparently built around it.

Wild guess: the name for cancelling an Art into another Art?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sakurazuka posted:

If the story dictates it I'd rather have that than 'unwinable boss fight you might use up a bunch of resources on before you realise you're supposed to lose'

These actually suck though cause usually you can't lose too quick and it's a guessing game hoe long you have to hang on for

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tabletops posted:

developer interview on nintendo, it says it was a video interview but i couldn't find an actual video of it

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-6-xenoblade-chronicles-3-part-1/

regarding characters not getting enough dialogue or being sidelined into obscurity in the plot, thought this was interesting that it made it in the Q&A

What's cool from the second part of this interview is they actually had flutes specially made and designed like the ones to be in the game to record all of the flute parts. That's awesome!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

(except arguably zone music, though I've only heard a few so far - it's still great, but Xenoblade 2 really excelled in this area, even compared with Xenoblade 1).

I liked the music in xc more than xc2. Pretty forgettable honestly.

I got choked up when Elma showed up in the challenge zone and uncontrollable started playing. Man sawano is a great composer

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tabletops posted:

Yeah, 3 does a way better job with this. It's not unusual for Noah or Mio to be playing second fiddle or basically absent.

e: I think that the entire party always being present helps a lot with this. X1's characters sometimes had bespoke dialogue for certain side quests, but since everyone is always present in 3 they were able to make all of it bespoke. That gives a lot more room for different party members to take the lead in different quests in a way that the series hasn't done before.

Terper posted:

Wild guess: the name for cancelling an Art into another Art?

That's still called Art Canceling.

Books On Tape posted:

Those who are playing, are side quests more like XB 1 or 2?

1 - You go to a town and collect maybe15-20 side quests. When you go into the field to explore, it seemed like every enemy was part of some side quest. Or every area had something to collect.

2- You get maybe 5-8 side quests at a time in each hub. They are much more dialog/story heavy and a lot of running back and forth. When going to the field to explore you end up having to use a wiki to find the location of the one or two mobs needed for the side quest.

I think I preferred the system in XB1. Sure, the quests pretty much boiled down to "collect X bear asses", but it was nice exploring everywhere knowing almost everything you killed contributed to a side quest. In XB2, I ended up just running past everything a lot, beelining for my target.

They're more like X's Normal Missions. They're more heavily story focused and involve a decent amount of scripting. You get occasional dialogue choices. There's also not nearly as many steps in individual quests or side quests that require other side quests to progress. You also have the guide option that shows you right where to go. You do still have missions which involve killing monsters for their parts, and gem crafting and the collectopedia are a thing so you'll still want to fight random stuff.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 27, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

They're more like X's Normal Missions. They're more heavily story focused and involve a decent amount of scripting. You get occasional dialogue choices. There's also not nearly as many steps in individual quests or side quests that require other side quests to progress. You also have the guide option that shows you right where to go. You do still have missions which involve killing monsters for their parts, and gem crafting and the collectopedia are a thing so you'll still want to fight random stuff.

goddamn that sounds great, good to know they fiddled around with the systems to make it less obtuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd usually agree, but "using resources during fights" isn't exactly a thing in Xenoblade (since you can't use items during battle and characters don't have any MP-like resource), so in this case it'd be better to go the "enemy simply can't be beaten" route.

That being said, I've never cared about this and don't really understand why people get so mad about it. The abstraction between gameplay and "what is actually happening in fights" is so great in pretty much any JRPG that I don't really care that the events of the gameplay don't accurately reflect what happens in a cutscene.