Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

When leveling MCH, do you wait for full battery to Turret or drop at 50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it scales linearly so it doesnt matter. your main objective is to get it under buffs and not lose time to the boss being untargetable or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lady of Far Waters get, just Ruby Dragon left for Big Fish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're going for the short shots and blue top combo you should be a mechanist!

Now that I have the Makai pistol, maybe. Can't recall if I have the ShB relic shotgun, that'd work too.

I like the poofy Royal Volunteer's look for Mch though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

some of the early cuirasses might be a decent fit; they're basically a breastplate over leather with some tastefully sized pauldrons iirc? i remember running the custom-made cuirass you get from a super early quest as my tank glam for a while

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Awesome! posted:

it scales linearly so it doesnt matter. your main objective is to get it under buffs and not lose time to the boss being untargetable or something.

Last I checked this is sort of correct. The queen robo pal scales linearly and can be dropped whenever. The turret is funky and you want to drop it on even battery amounts. Any even amount is fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Here's a little tip because my teammates seem to be struggling with this a lot.

If you queue as a WAR in CC you want to be next to the enemy, not hiding behind a corner behind the BRD.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Calaveron posted:

I want to make a PLD glamour set that is just like, a comfortable and utilitarian looking set of leather armor. Is that feasible? Am at the tail end of Shb

The Tigerskin Coat of Fending (crafted/vendor) is a good leather armor coat. I also agree that some of the lower level, pre-SB crafting/gathering items that are All Classes are great sources for simpler glams too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I just want something that’s like a chest plate over a tunic

The closest you'll get is probably the Uraeus Body Armor, which is also really easy to obtain via the MB.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Feels pretty good being so close to Big Fish. Wild that I only really started going for it around 18th of last month + however long it took me to get the ARR legendaries. So 2 - 2.5 months for Big Fish depending on how nice Ruby Dragon is to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why would a Warrior not always be axing

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
they certainly didn't seem interested in axing questions in school

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
ABC - Axing Be Constant

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…oh goddammit I just realized that the maintenance notice was for European servers, not US

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This Film Is Dedicated To The Brave Resistance Fighters Of Ala Mhigo

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also just realized it's weird to me that "Warrior," the most white-bread generic name for a Fighting-Man ever, is the job that you specialize into from "Marauder," a cool-as-gently caress pirate-sounding class.

Although I suppose Maraduer getting an office job and moving to the suburbs is lore-appropriate for Merlwyb's thalassocracy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dareon posted:

Also just realized it's weird to me that "Warrior," the most white-bread generic name for a Fighting-Man ever, is the job that you specialize into from "Marauder," a cool-as-gently caress pirate-sounding class.

Although I suppose Maraduer getting an office job and moving to the suburbs is lore-appropriate for Merlwyb's thalassocracy.

I mean, Warrior is basically Berserker under a name that doesn't suggest you don't get actions.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I was so keen to do the marauder story quests - oh boy! Huge axe wielding pirates, based out of the Limsa cop shop. I bet I’ll be hunting down some rogue buccaneers or something!

Instead you get to repeatedly hit rocks because there’s a big cow that’s too powerful. What were they thinking!?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Roach Warehouse posted:

I was so keen to do the marauder story quests - oh boy! Huge axe wielding pirates, based out of the Limsa cop shop. I bet I’ll be hunting down some rogue buccaneers or something!

Instead you get to repeatedly hit rocks because there’s a big cow that’s too powerful. What were they thinking!?

It's cooler to hit rocks and save the hearts and lives of the children than it is to be a cop, op.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Well yeah, but that’s hardly a criticism that other class quests balk at, is it?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Most of the ARR job stories are not great

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also all the pirate-busting goes to the tax people, just like in real life

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Did you see that loving cow?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Marauder class quest is way more fun when you realize that you're becoming the dramatic backstory of why Sighard, future Generic Fighter Man, is an adventurer.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Calaveron posted:

I want to make a PLD glamour set that is just like, a comfortable and utilitarian looking set of leather armor. Is that feasible? Am at the tail end of Shb

The Crystarium and Cryptlurker Fending tops are pretty good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Warrior is still the best job quest chain in the game I will not be taking comments

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

S.J. posted:

Warrior is still the best job quest chain in the game I will not be taking comments

Stormblood, I’ll give you, but HW felt like it was just retreading the same plot as ARR, which wasn’t spectacular to begin with.

More job quests should be rom-coms.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Regalingualius posted:

Stormblood, I’ll give you, but HW felt like it was just retreading the same plot as ARR, which wasn’t spectacular to begin with.

More job quests should be rom-coms.

Stormblood was so good it retroactively makes the rest of it better

But also yes you're right

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blockhouse posted:

Most of the ARR job stories are not great

A lot of them feel like they're really straining to introduce all the lore of their job and its background, and as a result can't really fit actual characterization and personality in.

There's still a few that manage to stand out, at least to me. Scholar is really good (although I believe that was added in patches so it had some extra time in the oven), White Mage lives under the shadow of Conjurer but still has a decent dynamic, Warrior and Bard at least have ideas even if they don't quite stick the landing, Ninja has good physicality (although, again, patch addition). I really like the angle Paladin has of 'constantly showing up a job contact that doesn't actually want you around', although it has the problem that Dark Knight does it in a more interesting way.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Awesome! posted:

They could have changed it, but last I saw, didn't Queen scale linearly, but Rook's timing makes it so that 70 and 90 are optimal?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

A lot of them feel like they're really straining to introduce all the lore of their job and its background, and as a result can't really fit actual characterization and personality in.

There's still a few that manage to stand out, at least to me. Scholar is really good (although I believe that was added in patches so it had some extra time in the oven), White Mage lives under the shadow of Conjurer but still has a decent dynamic, Warrior and Bard at least have ideas even if they don't quite stick the landing, Ninja has good physicality (although, again, patch addition). I really like the angle Paladin has of 'constantly showing up a job contact that doesn't actually want you around', although it has the problem that Dark Knight does it in a more interesting way.
Since all of the job quests (though not class quests) besides Arcanist (since it didn't exist until 2.0), White Mage (because the story was completely changed), and Ninja (being added in 2.4) are holdovers from 1.0, it's interesting to glean that Heavensward was planned prior to A Realm Reborn's release. 1.0 White Mage might have led to a different development of the elementals in the story, but it's more or less completely retconned out of existence now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dragoon’s 2.0 story was alright, mainly because it introduced Estinien

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cephas posted:

The Crystarium and Cryptlurker Fending tops are pretty good.

Definitely agree with the Crystarium top. Gives a great grounded option.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hogama posted:

1.0 White Mage might have led to a different development of the elementals in the story, but it's more or less completely retconned out of existence now.

I haven't gotten very far into WHM, but it feels like the relationship between Gridanians and elementals is basically like cat/dog people that think they know what their pet is saying.

"Oh, we can't help the Ala Mhigans because Gusty the Wind Sprite hid under the bed when the shouty one got angry" don't blame your goddamn religion for your lack of empathy, you piece of Grade 1 Carbonized Matter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hogama posted:

Since all of the job quests (though not class quests) besides Arcanist (since it didn't exist until 2.0), White Mage (because the story was completely changed), and Ninja (being added in 2.4) are holdovers from 1.0, it's interesting to glean that Heavensward was planned prior to A Realm Reborn's release. 1.0 White Mage might have led to a different development of the elementals in the story, but it's more or less completely retconned out of existence now.

I'm not surprised if the bullet points of Heavensward were planned even back then, because... well, 1.0 had to have some plans for the future, why wouldn't they include going to Ishgard? It's right there!

Dareon posted:

I haven't gotten very far into WHM, but it feels like the relationship between Gridanians and elementals is basically like cat/dog people that think they know what their pet is saying.

"Oh, we can't help the Ala Mhigans because Gusty the Wind Sprite hid under the bed when the shouty one got angry" don't blame your goddamn religion for your lack of empathy, you piece of Grade 1 Carbonized Matter.

And the Elementals make a lot more sense when you learn they're based on a combination of European fae stories and the kami of various Japanese faiths. It's 'the nature spirits give us great bounty when they're happy, but if you piss them off the volcano erupts and murders everyone', just transplanted into an explicitly magical forest.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 27, 2022

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Dareon posted:

This only tracks if you ignore the fact that Elementals will literally murder you and and your family and kick everyone you care about out of their forest if they get angry.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm not surprised if the bullet points of Heavensward were planned even back then, because... well, 1.0 had to have some plans for the future, why wouldn't they include going to Ishgard? It's right there!
We'll probably never know exactly what the original roadmap was, but given what tidbits we've gotten from live letters and panels and what's been datamined out of the old client, they'd probably meant to transition into the heretics storyline sooner (with numerous unused dungeons in development centered around that idea), and likely with the initial ambition of 6 starting city-states (Ishgard, Ala Mhigo, and Sharlayan being the three that didn't make the starting cut) they'd probably had vague notes on a whiteboard about going to the other two after Heavensward content.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

So some people from my FC and I got together and entered an anime cosplay contest and won! I'm pretty proud of what we put together in an afternoon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mordiceius posted:

So some people from my FC and I got together and entered an anime cosplay contest and won! I'm pretty proud of what we put together in an afternoon.

As much as I adore this, it's making me realize I really want a minion based on one of those creepy winged long-faced sin eaters. I feel like you could've used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

DanielCross posted:

This only tracks if you ignore the fact that Elementals will literally murder you and and your family and kick everyone you care about out of their forest if they get angry.

have we seen the murdering the elementals do? like, are those rock golems and treants "the Elementals?" i'll fight them I don't give a drat