Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

`Nemesis posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/Spa_Eng/status/1551627809973485573?s=20

This is an official project of the Saudi Government

I mean I want it but it seems like the pipiest of pipe dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

But

Why just one giant line? Unless they extend it to wrap around the planet, then it's back to being cool.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh wow, the world was waiting for another Kowloon City.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Love watching countries spend billions on a place that will be too hot to live in a decade.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I for one welcome Floating Tree Technology

Also I do wonder how well that heat exchange would work when the sun is sometimes directly above The Wall

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh neat, another arcology project! Those are always fun to think about.

Arrath posted:

But

Why just one giant line? Unless they extend it to wrap around the planet, then it's back to being cool.

You want it thin for surface area reasons, which also relate to things like human sanity -- being buried inside of a huge building and never seeing the outdoors is bad for peoples' brains. So a thin structure gives more windows. It also probably simplifies climate control (getting heat out of the center of a big building requires more plumbing), which is good because this thing is going to be an absolute nightmare to keep temperate in its apparently-planned location.

Why it's a line instead of a ring or some other curve, though, I have no idea. I mean, certain curves are a bad idea due to the whole "turning the sun into a reflected death beam" issue that certain skyscrapers have had, but you'd think they might follow the coastline or something at least.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
So they're just going to build a wall with no way for things like wildlife to get by, or anywhere for dirt and sand to go other than to pile up beside it?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You're talking as if this horrendously expensive project would actually happen rather than fizzle out when nobody is looking.
I wish we had actual arcologies and other mega scale habitats.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

All I could think about was how a hundred mile wall of mirrored glass taller than the Empire State Building is going to be, uh, extremely bad for birds. Also, will there be underpasses for ground-based wildlife? A giant wall is going to disrupt their movements. :ohdear:

And what about wind and sand movement? It's basically a giant (and impervious-looking) windbreak.

Then I got digging around retro-futuristic arcology poo poo and megastructures and it turns out the city on a line with transportation concept is not remotely new:

Another project to watch in this general realm of dense megastructure concepts is that crazy windowless dorm building going up at UCSB (the building itself has windows and the exterior is actually quite nice-looking, but the dorm rooms themselves do not have windows).

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
It's slightly less dumb than snowpiercer. At least this isn't on rails.

But what if the line...wrapped around into a circle! That would be even more efficient! And you could use the space inside the circle while the line functioned as a sort of outer wall protecting the inside!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Buttchocks posted:

It's slightly less dumb than snowpiercer. At least this isn't on rails.

But what if the line...wrapped around into a circle! That would be even more efficient! And you could use the space inside the circle while the line functioned as a sort of outer wall protecting the inside!

Given that you also want this integrated with some sort of transport system, wouldn't it make sense to make many smaller circles, maybe laid out in some sort of grid? Of course, you'd get better use of the space if you made them square instead of circular, though at the cost of having to deal with corner rooms.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arcologies are cool ideas, but I'm not sure how well that one will work.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Love watching countries spend billions on a place that will be too hot to live in a decade.

I'm fine watching the Saudis pour money into pipe dream projects that won't go anywhere.

Beats them using it to buy more missiles from Rathyon to kill people in Yemen at least. Or murdering journalists. Or really anything else they do with their money.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Those mirrored glass windows are going to be matte frosted glass after the first sandstorm hits it.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Lol no need for wildlife crossings because there is basically no life in Saudi Arabia

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
deserts have lots of life, especially near large bodies of water, and in fact desert wildlife rules a lot

take a look at the choice real estate this is supposed to be slicing through

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
After seeing a few of the abortions in this thread, I will share with you what I posted in the HVAC thread. I found this under my house (doube-wide) ... no wonder why it was always cold or warm under the place when the AC/heat was running.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They have a plan for that, too. Huge rear end lakes to generate a microclimate. I have no idea whether it can work, I'm reasonably sure it won't work, but it would be pretty cool if it did.

This past winter in Riyadh was very wet. All the English language sources I could find said it was record levels of precipitation and everyone I spoke to between locals and long term expats said it was unusual, and the general consensus among people was all the green spaces were having an effect. Obviously, I can't gauge how much of that is propaganda and how much might just be global warming induced climate change, but weird things are happening in the desert.

Don't get me wrong, all the poor people are going to get left behind, dissidents will still get their heads chopped off for quite a while yet, and the country will collapse if they really kick out all the foreign laborers by 2030. But it's not that much different from, say, the US moonshot.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why it's a line instead of a ring or some other curve, though, I have no idea.

Have you seen the netflix documentary "Snowpiercer"?

e/ serious answer, it's not about making sense, it's about the spectacle. Same reason Burj Khalifa has a convoy of septic tankers go in and out every day instead of real plumbing

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 26, 2022

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Um, 170km long, and able to get from one end to the other in 20 minutes? That seems a bit much. If I remember my high school physics, assuming linear acceleration to midpoint, then same decel to destination, wouldn’t that put the vehicle at like 1000km/hr at the midpoint?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Look the spec didn't specify whether the passenger had to arrive alive, or in form of a paste against the bulkhead. Just the travel time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Orvin posted:

Um, 170km long, and able to get from one end to the other in 20 minutes? That seems a bit much. If I remember my high school physics, assuming linear acceleration to midpoint, then same decel to destination, wouldn’t that put the vehicle at like 1000km/hr at the midpoint?

Maybe it crosses a time zone and it actually takes 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just imagining a janitor traveling a 1000 km/h to open a window on either end to get ventilation going.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Obviously Elon musk is in on the design.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonerGhost posted:

They have a plan for that, too. Huge rear end lakes to generate a microclimate. I have no idea whether it can work, I'm reasonably sure it won't work, but it would be pretty cool if it did.

This past winter in Riyadh was very wet. All the English language sources I could find said it was record levels of precipitation and everyone I spoke to between locals and long term expats said it was unusual, and the general consensus among people was all the green spaces were having an effect. Obviously, I can't gauge how much of that is propaganda and how much might just be global warming induced climate change, but weird things are happening in the desert.

They had this theory in the nineteenth century.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

`Nemesis posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/Spa_Eng/status/1551627809973485573?s=20

This is an official project of the Saudi Government
Cool, I've always wanted to live on the Presidium.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Queen Victorian posted:

All I could think about was how a hundred mile wall of mirrored glass taller than the Empire State Building is going to be, uh, extremely bad for birds. Also, will there be underpasses for ground-based wildlife? A giant wall is going to disrupt their movements. :ohdear:

And what about wind and sand movement? It's basically a giant (and impervious-looking) windbreak.

Then I got digging around retro-futuristic arcology poo poo and megastructures and it turns out the city on a line with transportation concept is not remotely new:

Another project to watch in this general realm of dense megastructure concepts is that crazy windowless dorm building going up at UCSB (the building itself has windows and the exterior is actually quite nice-looking, but the dorm rooms themselves do not have windows).

Is that the one that a billionaire shithead thought up?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I think the thought process is more analogous to the construction of reservoirs in Oklahoma which. The state has no meaningful natural lakes but has seen a significant increase in humidity since the constructions of a massive network of artificial reservoirs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's hilarious is that, if the Saudis build any of that arcology whatsoever, to whatever diminished effect, they'll have done more for housing than America :911:

It's not great when "massive impractical hilarious pipe dream money pit arcology project" is materially better than everything America has allowed itself to even try

Jows
May 8, 2002

I remember seeing a bunch of ads a few months ago for NEOM on Twitter and thinking it was all pipe dream bullshit that costs infinite money. Now I know it's a Saudi initiative and was right all along!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what a great idea, in a few years it can double as a levee

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

After seeing a few of the abortions in this thread, I will share with you what I posted in the HVAC thread. I found this under my house (doube-wide) ... no wonder why it was always cold or warm under the place when the AC/heat was running.

It's kinda hard for me to see what is going on here tbqh but I'm gonna just let you know that clicking through to the imgbb.com site to try and look at larger versions made my corp malware agent go absolutely bonkers. I'd recommend sticking with imgur in the future.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

What's hilarious is that, if the Saudis build any of that arcology whatsoever, to whatever diminished effect, they'll have done more for housing than America :911:

It's not great when "massive impractical hilarious pipe dream money pit arcology project" is materially better than everything America has allowed itself to even try

Care to elaborate on this, or are you just being super brave and edgy here?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

I get that it's cool to hate on the USA, but please have some actual goddamn facts to back it up when you do. More to the point, this ain't D&D or C-SPAM.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Great way to know when they fail.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Today I learned that .22LR rounds are sufficient for both 15A and 20A circuits. :science:

Edit: 👇Yup.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 27, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Surely those are .22 LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The classic audio-visual auto alert fuse.