Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The show peaked with pickle Rick

I still can't believe I worked on that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I always find it odd when I see people say they hated the Vindicators episode (and that whole season) because it's straight up one of my favorite episodes. Like top 5 maybe top 3. I love that episode.

I love the Isreal bit, I love the neutrino bomb bit, I love the shot of everyone turning to look at Rick when the big TV monitor comes down, I love NoobNoob.

:same:

Rickshank, Pickle, V3, Ricklantis and Mindblowers are all top tier R&M.

e:
I love engaging with Brands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE6Ox3ikCMU

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 26, 2022

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rick and Morty is a good show. imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mutata posted:

I still can't believe I worked on that episode.

I’m glad you did because it’s excellent

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And whatever work you did on it kicked rear end

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AlternateNu posted:

AS put out a Vindicators prequel mini-series of shorts which is pretty loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzpJh9_KFg

Yeesh, poor Allen. Also Crocubot. Also Lady Katana. Also Calypso. Also Diablo Verde. Also Million Ants. They really gave some pathos to a bunch of one off characters.

Probably a good thing Rick killed Vance, and he REALLY should have killed Supernova. Glad Noob Noob survived though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

vindicators is bad in part because morty completes his arc for the episode like 10 minutes in and becomes too jaded too quickly. kind of a metaphor for the show as a whole.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I like the Pickle Rick episode a lot and almost all of it is because of Susan Sarandon

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mantis42 posted:

vindicators is bad in part because morty completes his arc for the episode like 10 minutes in and becomes too jaded too quickly. kind of a metaphor for the show as a whole.

Actually that's why it's good

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I like V3 because it highlighted another lovely aspect of Rick. I guess some people were more bothered by Dan going after superheroes.

Also, unlike the heist episode this one made an effort to be funny.

"Well, have fun with that. But Morty and I have to meet a comet girl, a monorail man, two assholes and a full alligator in, like, an hour."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the ricklantis mixup is easily in the top 3 episodes of the entire show, maybe the best episode of the show period. thank you season 3 for giving us a perfect rick and morty episode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Looking through all the episodes of season 3, yeah there isn't a single episode in there I don't think is great. The weakest one for me is probably The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy and that's only by like, a small amount. I think it's hilarious when Rick bursts in and drags Jerry away and goes "IT'S A RICK A JERRY ADVENTURE! A RICK AND JERRY EPISODE!"

Speaking of Rick and Jerry, I'm now getting clips of the show on my youtube, and man that bit in the Purge episode where Jerry keeps asking if it's Taddy on the phone is so funny. Where did they come with the name Taddy?!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I do think Pickle Rick is the best episode of the show, especially in hindsight.

To me the second best episode of the show is "Rick Potion #9" because that's when the show was like, ok, here, we're laying all our cards out on the table. It almost seems quaint today, but it was such a bold swerve at the time.

You probably have a different opinion and that's fine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jurassic Bark was when I knew the show was going places. I might have missed earlier discussions but is this show coming back in the near future?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Do you mean Lawnmower Dog because I agree

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ashpanash posted:

To me the second best episode of the show is "Rick Potion #9" because that's when the show was like, ok, here, we're laying all our cards out on the table. It almost seems quaint today, but it was such a bold swerve at the time.

This is interesting because this is the episode I started with for some reason, and I initially bounced off. I think I just wasn't paying enough attention to it versus whatever I was doing on my other monitor, because when I came back for another try a few months later I watched the first season straight through and thought it was fantastic.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

Jurassic Bark was when I knew the show was going places. I might have missed earlier discussions but is this show coming back in the near future?

If this isn't an intentional joke it should be, because it's hilarious.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Last Chance posted:

Surprisingly yes! Hulu has picked it up for a 20 episode run a full ten years after it was cancelled. Initially John DiMaggio wasn't going to come back because he was holding out to get a pay raise for him and the rest of the cast (and he was right to do so, voice actors are so under paid), but a deal was struck and he's onboard now.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 26, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It really wasn't good when they killed it, and they had yet another pitch-perfect finale, so I'm not sure I want this.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Imagine if they went through with Saturday Morning Fun Pit being the finale.

I wanted to stop about five minutes in, but I ended up hatewatching it. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember but at the time it was horrendous.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

It really wasn't good when they killed it, and they had yet another pitch-perfect finale, so I'm not sure I want this.

Basically they need to run into the writers room every time they produce a script and come up with a different lie for how the show has totally been cancelled and their next script really does have to be the last one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drat, that's good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ashpanash posted:

I do think Pickle Rick is the best episode of the show, especially in hindsight.

You probably have a different opinion and that's fine.

Rick Potion #9 was the first episode I watched because I heard a billion bleating lambs gushing over it on the internet, and I remember thinking it was the most macabre thing I'd ever seen. So, naturally, I had to watch the rest. But honestly, I am base as gently caress because it was really the Meeseeks episode that hooked me.

I didn't like Pickle Rick much the first time I watched it, but it probably grew on me more than any other episode upon rewatch.

Ricklantis Mixup is the best episode.

Season 4 was the worst season, but The Vat of Acid Episode is probably my #2 just behind Ricklantis.

Season 5 was the most forgettable with the only highlights being the finale, the end of Mortyplicity, and MR. NIMUS!

After thinking that through, I just realized I'm probably the fan Harmon and Roiland hate the most: Someone interested in the canon and cultural commentary above the random humor.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Do you mean Lawnmower Dog because I agree

Yeah. Lmao oops. drat, the ravages of time haven’t been good to my brain

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Anatomy Park was the episode that hooked me. i'm a sucker for jurassic park, combining that with fantastic voyage was funny in a big dumb way, the rain of blood and jerry calming everyone down by announcing that 'tv says everything is okay'. also not heaps (but a bit) of Rick vs Morty antagonism. i generally like when they're on the same page and not in genuine conflict really.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I always grin when "Put that back on!" pops into my head.

https://youtu.be/lkQLjidCUh8

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Surprisingly yes! Hulu has picked it up for a 20 episode run a full ten years after it was cancelled. Initially John DiMaggio wasn't going to come back because he was holding out to get a pay raise for him and the rest of the cast (and he was right to do so, voice actors are so under paid), but a deal was struck and he's onboard now.

Just for clarification, what specifically happened was that DiMaggio folded and accepted the initial offer Disney made. No one got what they deserved.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eh I enjoyed Vindicators 2 but I also felt it was completely unnecessary but I guess that's entertainment

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It was cool to see the previous members but otherwise I don't think it gave us very much that couldn't have been thought up in everyone's mind after that episode. Kind of like lots of origin stories these days.

Which one of Harmon or Roiland really likes the 80s dance movies? I mean I don't have a problem with the homage but it's kind of boring to literally redo Flashdance

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Which one of Harmon or Roiland really likes the 80s dance movies? I mean I don't have a problem with the homage but it's kind of boring to literally redo Flashdance

There was no dialogue so 100% Dan was behind that scene.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was an origin story but it added nothing on top of the characterization and backstory that was already delivered much more succinctly in the episode itself, which kinda puts it in the domain of 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' I guess, but maybe it's even a little more bankrupt than that because while the episode treats the characters and the various tropes they represent to be such cliches that they are not even interesting, and this was extended even to their 'dark superhero' aspects and internal conflicts, this web series kinda goes hard into 'woah weren't the vindicators actually super interesting and cool wouldn't you like to know a whole bunch more about them?' which really, really, is the opposite of what the episode is all about.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean it wasn't bad it's just that Rick and Morty spinoffs which aren't unique artistic takes in their own right but rather 'canonical extensions' will always suffer from the association, the show treats backstory as foil for jokes, the vindicators were not set up as characters you should care about, they're explicit parodies.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just for clarification, what specifically happened was that DiMaggio folded and accepted the initial offer Disney made. No one got what they deserved.

Yeah, and that sucks, but I also recognize the difficult position he was in. There really isn't a show without him, so if he just flat out refused to do it that would mean he was preventing his fellow voice actors (And if you've seen his documentary "I Know That Voice" then you'll know that these are people he's friends with in real life and he has a great deal of respect for) from getting a job. So he was put in a no win situation where he was forced to choose between caving and taking less money than he knows he deserves, or standing by his principals and potentially doing harm to people he cares about. There wasn't really a right a choice there.

Well, no, that's a lie, the right choice would have been for Disney a multibillion corporation to pay the talent that earns them their money fair wages, but they have a long history of not doing that and it doesn't look like they're going to stop now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1552292860371902464?t=vaHVSjRvKE0hTLLp091D-w&s=19

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

There was no dialogue so 100% Dan was behind that scene.

i dunno, i've been watching solar opposites which is all justin and its nothing but nonstop 80s pop culture references

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

No word on number of episodes or a possible mid-season break?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rick and Morty still feels like a relatively new show to me but apparently it premiered in 2013?! Huh?? That is literally such a lifetime ago. I know there was like a year break in between season 2 and 3 and again for 3 and 4 but still.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Macaluso posted:

Rick and Morty still feels like a relatively new show to me but apparently it premiered in 2013?! Huh?? That is literally such a lifetime ago. I know there was like a year break in between season 2 and 3 and again for 3 and 4 but still.

Hey it's still made faster than Venture Bros.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Literally just watched Never Ricking Morty (the story train one) yesterday and all I can say is, "god drat check dem cumgutters"

e:

Macaluso posted:

s5e10 aired on Sept 5 2021, maybe one solid year is just what they're settling on for a schedule. I guess ~5 weeks per episode doesn't sound completely unreasonable...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Takes No Damage posted:

Literally just watched Never Ricking Morty (the story train one) yesterday and all I can say is, "god drat check dem cumgutters"

Gross. I don't want to think of cum so watery and in such volume that....