Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru.

Sir, Wendy's beats their employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’ll be the most American thing ever if you got nuked while watching this movie

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the loving gently caress is something awful praising this poo poo movie? Literally ALL OF THE ENEMY SOLDIERS ARE FACELESS. AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE LIVES, FAMILIES, OR LOVED ONES. but OUR soldiers (read:amercians) in this movie have them. Why? Because "the enemy aren't people". But functionally, the plot is NOT IN ANY WAY DIFFERENT from Triumph Of The Will or Birth Of An Nation. "The enemy doesn't have remorse, emotions, or logic, therefore they must die." That is word by word the fascist handbook. Just because they don't say "it's brown people" doesn't mean it isn't still an racist, fascist, sexist movie that isn't any different from something hitler would've made if given a film crew.

And a good chunk of the money given to this movie will be given to the scientologists who make sure their detractors "disappear", fact.

sa, if you WANT people to stop loving voting in manchin's and trumps, then stop loving rewarding hollywood and start loving donating to your local loving antifa instead. It would do better to saving our skins from WW3 than watching some dumb loving tom cruise flick.

You guys don't pull loving punches when hating on superheroes? Why is a loving flighter jet any different? Because there's only been 1 flighter jet movie in the last decade instead of 30? Who gives a poo poo. Jets are enemies of peace. Treat them like poo poo like you would treat nukes like poo poo. Just because guns and punches and kicks are more popular in movies these days doesn't make it original or an triumph of "originality".

No one's made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers and Nukes to kill brown (or maybe asian, considering people don't realize that Iran DOES in fact have snow. Look it up.) people in the last few decades, either. But we aren't rooting for that to make a come back, are we?

Has anyone ever made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers?

I mean, technically the Middle East is SW Asia, but no one really refers to the people who live there as "Asians."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Has anyone ever made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers?

I mean, technically the Middle East is SW Asia, but no one really refers to the people who live there as "Asians."

Cut ending of Double Indemnity

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

There was a heroic use of a nuke in the movie Stargate, so I guess there's that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will are widely regarded to be groundbreaking movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They talk about using nerve gas in Aliens but they never get a chance to use it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Scuffy_1989 posted:

There was a heroic use of a nuke in the movie Stargate, so I guess there's that.

But nukes don't work in ID4 so clearly Emmerich saw the error of his ways.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

live with fruit posted:

But nukes don't work in ID4 so clearly Emmerich saw the error of his ways.

I think that's more homage to the 50s War of the Worlds movie, where nukes didn't work either.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the loving gently caress is something awful praising this poo poo movie? Literally ALL OF THE ENEMY SOLDIERS ARE FACELESS. AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE LIVES, FAMILIES, OR LOVED ONES. but OUR soldiers (read:amercians) in this movie have them. Why? Because "the enemy aren't people". But functionally, the plot is NOT IN ANY WAY DIFFERENT from Triumph Of The Will or Birth Of An Nation. "The enemy doesn't have remorse, emotions, or logic, therefore they must die." That is word by word the fascist handbook. Just because they don't say "it's brown people" doesn't mean it isn't still an racist, fascist, sexist movie that isn't any different from something hitler would've made if given a film crew.

And a good chunk of the money given to this movie will be given to the scientologists who make sure their detractors "disappear", fact.

sa, if you WANT people to stop loving voting in manchin's and trumps, then stop loving rewarding hollywood and start loving donating to your local loving antifa instead. It would do better to saving our skins from WW3 than watching some dumb loving tom cruise flick.

You guys don't pull loving punches when hating on superheroes? Why is a loving flighter jet any different? Because there's only been 1 flighter jet movie in the last decade instead of 30? Who gives a poo poo. Jets are enemies of peace. Treat them like poo poo like you would treat nukes like poo poo. Just because guns and punches and kicks are more popular in movies these days doesn't make it original or an triumph of "originality".

No one's made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers and Nukes to kill brown (or maybe asian, considering people don't realize that Iran DOES in fact have snow. Look it up.) people in the last few decades, either. But we aren't rooting for that to make a come back, are we?

Counterpoint: Highway to the Danger Zone loving rules.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TheNamedSavior posted:

drat you're right, I really should go see Top Gun: Maverick again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TheNamedSavior posted:

Sorry, "flighter" jet?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

You could probably paste any country as "the Protagonist" and it would still be dope as hell

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also jets are cool and flying fast is cool

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

goons: top gun is not propaganda

also goons: daddy war machine please jack me off with your war planes

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The propaganda here is flying fast? Then yes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There are certain degrees to the argument, Top Gun is a generalized propaganda for the MIC but it doesn't rise (or sink, if you prefer) to the level of something like Birth of a Nation which explicitly states "We shouldn't have given black people the vote". Like it does portray a situation where US military action against another country is justified and then the question is whether such a thing could ever be true and- like, it's possible. Maybe it hasn't happened since 1941 but I'm no historian.

And like I'm pretty sure it's not gonna lead to WW3.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

The F in F-18 stands for flighter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The a stands for attacker

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

TraderStav posted:

Counterpoint: Highway to the Danger Zone loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3D7Y_ycSms

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The g in 9gs stands for gravity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

The highest recorded g-force experienced by a human who survived was during the 2003 IndyCar Series finale at Texas Motor Speedway on October 12, 2003 in the 2003 Chevy 500 when the car driven by Kenny Bräck made wheel-to-wheel contact with Tomas Scheckter's car. This immediately resulted in Bräck's car impacting the catch fence that would record a peak of 214 g

Tom cruise ain't poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkvCR6BnG4

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just setting the stage for a Days of Thunder legacy sequel

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are certain degrees to the argument, Top Gun is a generalized propaganda for the MIC but it doesn't rise (or sink, if you prefer) to the level of something like Birth of a Nation which explicitly states "We shouldn't have given black people the vote". Like it does portray a situation where US military action against another country is justified and then the question is whether such a thing could ever be true and- like, it's possible. Maybe it hasn't happened since 1941 but I'm no historian.

And like I'm pretty sure it's not gonna lead to WW3.

Non-proliferation is a laudable goal.

That said, I don't know how anyone could say the movie is sexist/racist. The US Navy is shown to be an egalitarian place, the whole organization has women and minorities at all levels doing all the jobs. It's majority white, but so is the country.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There has to be a certain level you draw of removal or you get to the point where you go "this person in this movie is wearing clothes made in China, why are you supporting child slavery."

Also, there is a point where you laud skill even while disagreeing with messaging.

Marvel movies get bashed here often because they aren't made well (as far as rising above mediocre where it comes to action direction or comedy or anything they're trying to do). That also makes bad politics like Black Panther's CIA garbage more of a conversation than the mediocrity of everything else in the movie. This is so well made, most of the conversation is gushing over how well it's made as opposed to talking about the way the movie tries to make "nobody" the villain by making everyone nameless and faceless. Also, it dipped so far into the absurd that most of us here probably didn't take any propaganda seriously since none of us think that the U.S. is making trench runs, parachuting like GI Joe out of exploding planes, then stealing planes and dogfighting with them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I immediately joined the Navy after seeing this movie. AMA.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Roth posted:

I immediately joined the Navy after seeing this movie. AMA.

What's your tier list for rum, sodomy, and the lash?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

What's your tier list for rum, sodomy, and the lash?

idk but I just briefly looked at the mod buttons and went "Wait what are those?" before remembering those are the mod buttons.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Roth posted:

idk but I just briefly looked at the mod buttons and went "Wait what are those?" before remembering those are the mod buttons.

I'll put rum down in the S tier then

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

There has to be a certain level you draw of removal or you get to the point where you go "this person in this movie is wearing clothes made in China, why are you supporting child slavery."

The people who loving make money off of the airplanes that kill brown children in the middle east have a webpage dedicated to this movie. There's a difference between a shirt being made by a child slave and a weapon made to kill children of any class.

And the rest of your idiotic post is just saying that top gun gets a pass because "ITS DAT loving GOOD". No. That's not how loving media criticism works, on ANY planet, even ours.

Even if somehow this movie is the best written, best produced, best shot thing ever, it's still a loving movie that ends with an situation that would lead to a loving real life nuclear war, and instead uses it to celebrate how great tom cruise is.

EVERY movie deserves analysis, and even if somehow they don't, I'm pretty sure every loving god drat blockbuster about fictional soldiers using real guns, to fight in fictional wars, that strangly have strong parallels to real life geopolitics, loving deserves analysis.

Do people ignore the racism in Lord Of The Rings, Dune, Or Nearly Anything Written Before The 20th Century because they'll all well written masterpieces? No. gently caress No. They discuss it, they analyze it, they criticize it, they make memes about it. They acknowledge it.

And yes, a movie about mostly white people murdering "faceless" enemy soldiers deserves a lot of loving discussion as to why it does that. Especially when Dunkirk did a similar technique for a real war, and guess what? People talked about it.

There's literally an alt-right meme with the exact same premise. Those wastes of sperm LOVE calling people who don't agree with their shitsmeered worldviews NPCs. You know, almost as if their worldviews, emotions and passions don't matter, and that you wouldn't be harming a human being if you killed them? Like the faceless not-iranian goons who's opinions and emotions and loved ones apparently don't matter because tom cruise says so? The scientologist?

I think that maybe we should discuss the parallels between an massive million dollar movie, and a violent terrorist movement made by racist bootlickers...but because the movie is THAT GOOD according to the "leftists" at Something Awful. Not only am I wrong (for thinking that opinions aren't objective and that the supposed quality of an work doesn't overide any criticism of it for promoting world views that literally kill people), but the entire field of film criticism is wrong too! Jeez, who would've thought!

Also literally what loving world do you live in to not see the pro-nuclear war propaganda as being as bad as black panther's pro-cia propaganda? Jesus loving christ you are dense. For a leftist you sure do seem forgiving of propaganda when a "totally not north korean/iranian" gets gunned down in a well shot way?

PS The Movie Isn't That loving Good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shut the gently caress up

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TheNamedSavior, do you feel nuclear proliferation is a good thing?

Should more countries have The Bomb?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheNamedSavior posted:

PS The Movie Isn't That loving Good.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VengefulIncompleteAlaskanmalamute-mobile.mp4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That shirt analogy was pretty lousy, and if there was a film about tailors that glamorized the sweatshop to consumer pipeline then yeah I’d have a big loving problem with that movie too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
They made the enemies faceless and stateless to avoid pissing off other countries hth

I pretended they were Canadian and the facility was in the rockies, it all fits. The snow, the mountains, launching off a carrier to get there.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

ilmucche posted:

They made the enemies faceless and stateless to avoid pissing off other countries hth

I pretended they were Canadian and the facility was in the rockies, it all fits. The snow, the mountains, launching off a carrier to get there.

Should have had a Maple leaf on the F-14.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ruddiger posted:

That shirt analogy was pretty lousy, and if there was a film about tailors that glamorized the sweatshop to consumer pipeline then yeah I’d have a big loving problem with that movie too.

The shirt thing wasn't an analogy, it was asking where your/their line is drawn at, directly by showing an extreme end of the line, and was said as directly that instead of an analogy.

The point is, some people aren't as bothered by farcical fantasy war movies as other people, so yelling at them with long paragraphs isn't going to accomplish anything - and someone can turn right around and do the same to you about something you like if their line is further down the list.

And yes, the worse a movie is, the more nitpicking is done to them. Discussions about Dunkirk facelessness lasts about 5 minutes since it's entirely a perspective film from people who wouldn't see the face of people flying planes bombing them. The conversations end up going nowhere. Now if Nolan kept messing up the perspective and made all kinds of mistakes, then it may be something to talk about.

I personally saw the faceless enemy as Cobra-land. But I also saw the movie as basically one step removed from Hot Shots and a complete fantasy.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also if you got something to discuss, then say it. Just posting rants calling everyone idiots is not quite the same thing.

There’s been a lot discussion about the propaganda aspects of this film already. Personally I see the movie depicting the navy in not a particularly great light, but at the same time acknowledge that it does normalize military strikes. And like with most action films, we can enjoy the spectacle without endorsing war.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Scuffy_1989 posted:

TheNamedSavior, do you feel nuclear proliferation is a good thing?

Should more countries have The Bomb?

I personally feel that nuclear proliferation is good as long as America exists, and that all states should aspire for a nuclear guarantee as long as the threat of American imperial policy hangs over them, they not only are North Korea and iran pragmatic in their acquisition of nuclear weapons but morally justified as the only way to protect their people from international military bullying, and also that this movie fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I personally feel that nuclear proliferation is good as long as America exists, and that all states should aspire for a nuclear guarantee as long as the threat of American imperial policy hangs over them, they not only are North Korea and iran pragmatic in their acquisition of nuclear weapons but morally justified as the only way to protect their people from international military bullying, and also that this movie fucks

A lot of countries' nukes would never reach America (even really directly politically) and are used in response to neighbors having them or to threaten neighbors. Top Gun 2 was probably a situation of an unknown country developing nukes that would threaten one of America's allies, due to the response in the movie, but with it being faceless country, it's hard to make a strong judgment on which situation it is exactly, is the problem. There are differences between North Korea and Iran's acquisition with differing political debates between both. Which is kind of the point; keeping it vague means that any statement or debate can be made depending on where your head puts the country (I changed my mind and now say it's Outer Heaven).