Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hamilton is the coolest dude in rum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like in the vid how Spike is trying to measure stuff and Ed is like "who cares, just pour the stuff in."

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

obi_ant posted:

Very recently I have decided to dive into the deep in with rum. I purchased Appleton 12, 15 and 21. All of which were good, but did not scratch that funk that I'm looking for. I have bottles of Probitas for making Daiquiris, Smith & Cross, Clement VSOP, Plantation Pineapple & OFTD for Mai Tais (I was experimenting with the ratios). The Probitas alone is very good and does has enough funk for me. I also have a Dr. Bird which is probably my favorite out of all of these. Where do I go from here as far as sipping rums are concerned?

Have you tried Paranubes? It's a Oaxacan rum that is pretty drat funky. I personally think it's quite delicious too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Definitely +1 to weird clairin, but also consider some good old-fashioned Rhum Barbacourt. The 8 year is a great all-rounder with just a touch of funk, while the 15 year is a beautiful sipping rum that I gaze longingly at every time I'm in Total Wine.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Polish Pirate posted:

Have you tried Paranubes? It's a Oaxacan rum that is pretty drat funky. I personally think it's quite delicious too.

I'll put that on my running hit list. Would you suggest the anejo or regular stuff?

Kenning posted:

Definitely +1 to weird clairin, but also consider some good old-fashioned Rhum Barbacourt. The 8 year is a great all-rounder with just a touch of funk, while the 15 year is a beautiful sipping rum that I gaze longingly at every time I'm in Total Wine.

Clairin Le Rocher is on my short list.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure he tells his story in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljC673n3Wo

Hamilton, that is.

I just met him last week! He visited the Suffering Bastard in Sanford and put up some happy hour cocktails made with his products.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

I'll put that on my running hit list. Would you suggest the anejo or regular stuff?

Are you in a place you can order stuff online?

chips liquor and mission liquor in Southern California delivery to a lot of states.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you in a place you can order stuff online?

chips liquor and mission liquor in Southern California delivery to a lot of states.

Oh yeah. My shop is pretty good in terms of inventory and variety. Anything that I’ve wanted spirits wise they’ve had and I’ve been able to acquire easily. Aside from the heavily allocated bourbon, cause that’s a joke at this point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I had something like that. I have total wine, which is pretty good but roughly 1/2 (or more) of things I am looking for are not available. So I've ordered a couple times from chips liquor. My justification for the $15 or so in shipping is if I get 3 bottles then they cost slightly more than they would be retail, but at least I get them.

I miss living in a biggish city.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

obi_ant posted:

I have only had the regular juice. If you do try the anejo would love to hear your take

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Paranubes Anejo tastes like ketchup and rubber. It's so good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are some interesting bitters worth trying?

I just picked up Bennett’s Exorcism and Wild Hunt and Scorpion and really like them, as well as the 3 vagabond bottles from Dashfire

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hamilton 86 - Burnt brown sugar like the top of a creme brulee, chocolate cake, smoke and dried Coca Cola that spilled on the movie theater floor. This was amazing, it was cheap enough to pick up even after the other purchases. I wonder would this be good in a Jungle Bird.

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish I had something like that. I have total wine, which is pretty good but roughly 1/2 (or more) of things I am looking for are not available. So I've ordered a couple times from chips liquor. My justification for the $15 or so in shipping is if I get 3 bottles then they cost slightly more than they would be retail, but at least I get them.

I miss living in a biggish city.

Not too sure if you're in area, but I know https://www.klwines.com/ ships around LA.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

obi_ant posted:

I wonder would this be good in a Jungle Bird.

Yes.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Has anyone here managed to try agreed clairin? It's my favorite spirit but I can only get unaged bottles where I live.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

What are some interesting bitters worth trying?

I don’t know if it’s interesting, but Ms. Better’s Grapefruit is a great citrus bitters. I haven’t been overly impressed by anything else they’ve done, though.

Sombre & Amer has a bitters called Arbor smells like a damp forest, minus any pine.

In other news, I had a bunch of limes so I decided to channel my inner Philip Marlowe and make a Gimlet using fresh limes instead of a disgusting amount of lime cordial.

I found a recipe that called for 2oz gin, 3/4oz lime juice, 3/4oz SS. I bumped the lime to 1oz.

It was really, really good. Highly recommended!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of bitters, what's a good online source for buying bitters? Either variety of boutique stuff, or good prices on say the 16oz Angostra? (I've been doing bitters and carbonated water, and going through a lot of both)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

As a lol, I picked up a bottle of barrel aged Malort at my local place. Should be fun for vacation next month.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Speaking of bitters, what's a good online source for buying bitters? Either variety of boutique stuff, or good prices on say the 16oz Angostra? (I've been doing bitters and carbonated water, and going through a lot of both)

Alambika for Canada, not sure what tgeir international shipping policies are

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AlexDeGruven posted:

As a lol, I picked up a bottle of barrel aged Malort at my local place. Should be fun for vacation next month.

An interesting type of self-own.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Waltzing Along posted:

An interesting type of self-own.

I've actually had it. It tastes about the same as regular. I don't dislike Malort, but because of its reputation, it's fun to share.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I've made my own malort and malort-like liqueurs a few times, and while I'm not entirely sure exactly what all is in Jeppeson's malort, doing straight wormwood extraction and then adding just a bit of sugar after dilution honestly tastes pretty darn close to me. I've also been working on my own recipe with wormwood, gentian, cinchona, angelica, chicory, cacao, mace, star anise, and juniper, and while I like the results, I'm pretty sure that most of those ingredients don't really add anything past maybe the first four, which is still more complex than malort I suppose, where again I can't taste anything but wormwood.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anyone have a tried and true Crème de Mure recipe? I got a bunch of fresh blackberries and figured it would be a good way to preserve some. Recipes online seem to say just heat them with wine and sugar but I wasn’t sure if there was any more traditional flavorings added.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

tonedef131 posted:

Anyone have a tried and true Crème de Mure recipe? I got a bunch of fresh blackberries and figured it would be a good way to preserve some. Recipes online seem to say just heat them with wine and sugar but I wasn’t sure if there was any more traditional flavorings added.

I used this and it came out well:

https://theeducatedbarfly.com/how-to-make-creme-de-mure/

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s easy enough, I’ll give it a shot.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Fair warning, I halved the recipe and still filled a 750ml bottle. The full recipe will make two.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Alarbus posted:

The Amor y Amargo online store: https://www.amoryamargo.com/collections

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black - super funky nose, lots of hogo, braised pork, dried scallops, smells like I'm walking down a small old school Asian supermarket. I think the nose outshines the taste. Easy drinking, caramel, oak, green shrubbery, burnt spices.

This is very good, probably a good introduction to funky-er rums for my friends. I like the price and the hogo.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a better angostura / old fashioned bitters around? Like the same flavor profile but higher quality? Maybe Dashfire?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

obi_ant posted:

Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black - super funky nose, lots of hogo, braised pork, dried scallops, smells like I'm walking down a small old school Asian supermarket. I think the nose outshines the taste. Easy drinking, caramel, oak, green shrubbery, burnt spices.

This is very good, probably a good introduction to funky-er rums for my friends. I like the price and the hogo.

Yes! Ham Jam, we call it. Tastes like bruised bananas and pool toys. My wife and I were once served 50/50 shots of it with Tempus Fugit’s banana liqueur with a drop of Angostura and it was pretty stunningly delicious.

And speaking of which, I don’t really understand trying to find a “better quality” Angostura. Where’s it falling short for you PRADA SLUT?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

The Polish Pirate posted:

I just bought a bottle of this. I needed to put some more interesting rums on my bar. Excited to try it out tonight!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

prayer group posted:

Yes! Ham Jam, we call it. Tastes like bruised bananas and pool toys. My wife and I were once served 50/50 shots of it with Tempus Fugit’s banana liqueur with a drop of Angostura and it was pretty stunningly delicious.

And speaking of which, I don’t really understand trying to find a “better quality” Angostura. Where’s it falling short for you PRADA SLUT?

How is the banana taste for the Tempus Fugit? I've had a lot of banana flavored things, and I hate that generic, chemical "Runts" taste.

Professor Wayne, let us know what you think of it!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What tonic/seltzer/mineral water do you recommend? I ran out of topo chico so tossed some pelegrino in a mojito and no thanks. Pelegrino's flavor just sticks out to much. Topo chico seems okay.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Not that this means that you have to like it, but I believe that runts banana flavor nis targeting a different variety of banana, the gros Michel. So it's an chemical flavor in runts, but that's what bananas used to taste more like.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
More like the gross Michel, amirite?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Waltzing Along posted:

What tonic/seltzer/mineral water do you recommend? I ran out of topo chico so tossed some pelegrino in a mojito and no thanks. Pelegrino's flavor just sticks out to much. Topo chico seems okay.

I'm a big fan of Jarritos Mineragua, it's got a very strong fizz. I don't know how widely-distributed it is though, and Topo Chico seems pretty close.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just use la croix, trader Joe's, or whatever other canned seltzer is available when I'm shopping. It's all perfectly fine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

obi_ant posted:

How is the banana taste for the Tempus Fugit? I've had a lot of banana flavored things, and I hate that generic, chemical "Runts" taste.

Professor Wayne, let us know what you think of it!

It's not artificial at all. It smells like they shoved a ripe banana in the bottle. If you like banana smell it's incredible.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Liquid Death isn’t good for cocktails because it’s really lightly carbonated. Just FYI. Good for drinking, not mixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Topo Chico is the best hands down imo