Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’ve never even heard of Waqwaq, but just saying the cover image I thought “is this the Houshin Engi artist?” and for once I was right!

But now I’m sad about Hakyu Houshin Engi being bad. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm currently binge watching the Seven Deadly Sins anime. I've watched the first season when it first came out and like it quite a bit, but failed to pick it up when season 2 came out. Now that the anime is apparently finished, I figured I'd watch the rest of it. So I'm on episode 7 of season 2, would anybody be interested in reading my reactions to the rest of the episodes?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cloks posted:

WaqWaq was recently released as individual chapters on the Shonen Jump app which gives me hope that we'll see stuff like Bobobo, GinTama, Ultimate Muscle... available eventually.

Kinnikuman Nisei ran on Jump?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ruri Dragon on indefinite hiatus because of the authors health condition. That really sucks, seemed like he had a hit on his hands, it was something i looked forward too every week. Hope they take all the time they need to recover.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Man that blows. I thought it was a very charming start

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hope they can get better. I look forward to Ruri's return.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oh man more dead space in jump

Guess that meams earthchild gets to live for a while longer

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ruri Dragon so inspired by Machikado Mazoku that they also somehow copied Izumo Itou's health problems too.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

Kinnikuman Nisei ran on Jump?

Looks like the original Kinnikuman ran in Jump and then it bounced around various Shueisha magazines. In the US it was published under the "Jump Advanced" label.

It's one of the manga that have been translated but has fallen out of print and it's incredibly expensive now. I was listening to a manga podcast where they mentioned it and apparently the translation policy shifted from over-cautious censoring in the beginning to "don't give a gently caress" towards the end when they realized they wouldn't get complaints because hardly anyone was buying the books.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I'm currently binge watching the Seven Deadly Sins anime. I've watched the first season when it first came out and like it quite a bit, but failed to pick it up when season 2 came out. Now that the anime is apparently finished, I figured I'd watch the rest of it. So I'm on episode 7 of season 2, would anybody be interested in reading my reactions to the rest of the episodes?

Feel free. I only read the manga and looked up the cool fights…some were disappointing.
Anyone else reading the sequel?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I read the first few chapters and it failed to hook me
Do note i never liked much of 7DS outside of Escanor, and now that hes dead...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

oh man more dead space in jump

Guess that meams earthchild gets to live for a while longer

One Piece had a good run, but i think it's time to cancel it in favor of giving Earthchild a bigger spot

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Okay, Earthchild's hit chapter 22, surely it's going to be cancelled soon, right? This is about the point where cancelled series start hastily wrapping up their plots.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

sure that sounds fun.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Feel free. I only read the manga and looked up the cool fights…some were disappointing.
Anyone else reading the sequel?

I'm glad I waited a while to start up the sequel because the opening chapters were good, but then there was a dip in quality until we got to the rest of the horsemen's introduction. It's not bad but coming off end of 7DS I thought the story could have just wrapped up and evil Arthur just comes out of nowhere.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I didn't take notes so far, but will be doing so going forward. Here are a few things I want to talk about. Again, I'm on episode 7 of season 2.

So is nobody going to seriously discuss that Meliodas is obviously a demon?? Sure, Ban mentioned it when Hendrickson had just taken off with Elizabeth, and there obviously was no time for a longer talk, but they had tons of time to delve into that topic since then! He has the malevolent aura, and has the same "knit your body together" ability that demons and demon infused humans have. Not to mention that one of those 10 Commandments sealed away 3000 years ago recognized Meliodas on sight, and called him by his name! This is seriously straining my suspension of disbelief a bit. Especially now that the Commandment went away after being tricked by Gowther!

It's interesting that Meliodas doesn't age, since he's apparently 3000 years old. Which brings me to the "wanted" posters for the Sins. At first I thought it strange that the posters so little resemble the actual Sins. But then it clicked for me that these are drawn by some human artist who had to imagine how they would look 10 years older. So Diane looks like a more mature woman, but hardly ages as a giantess. Ban is immortal, Meliodas doesn't age, etc.

Which brings me to the commandment who looks uncannily like Meliodas wanted poster!? I actually have two theories how that could be. Perhaps sometime in the past, Meliodas was part of the Commandments, but something happened that split him into a good and an evil version. That Commandment looks how Meliodas actually looked at that time, while the "good" Meliodas reverted to a more childlike, innocent form. That would also explain why he knows so much about demons and the individual Commandments.

Or that Commandment is just Meliodas older brother. That would also explain Meliodas' familiarity with the Commandments, but wouldn't be half as cool.

I'm also curious about meeting Escanor, the still missing Sin. There are 5 races, and for a long time, each new member was a new race. Meliodas (demon), Diane (giant), Ban (human), King (fairy), Gowther (doll). The pattern seems to be broken with Merlin, who seems to be a human? Or perhaps she's secretly a goddess in disguise, like Meliodas was secretly a demon. If Merlin really is a member of the goddess clan, then the pattern would hold and Escanor could be some cool new race. Although he does look human in his wanted poster. In any case, I'm excited to meet him.

And one last thing, I don't quite understand how Dreyfus survived, and apparently has been possessed by a demon? Didn't Hendrickson melt him down? I'm confused.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Seven Deadly Sins

Season 2, episode 7: So a kind of a breather episode, with flashbacks to Diane's past. This was overall a bit boring, but it should be noted that Giant culture is hosed up.

Season 2, episode 8: Merlin is out of commission. That's convenient for story purposes. And she was similarly absent during the big confrontation with Hendrickson. OP mages are a difficult thing to handle, I wonder if this will be a recurring theme. I assume Merlin goes back to normal once the Sins have killed that Commandment who turned her to stone, so the writers will have to come up with new ways to take Merlin out of the picture.

Oh wow, is Diane going to die? She walked right into the Commandments!

Nope, Matrona is alive. I should have seen this coming, last episode was too much of a setup.

Why is Camelot's king with them? Doesn't he have a country to rule?

We're going to the land of the druids, and here is Avalon. Is King Arthur being in Avalon a good idea? Doesn't he usually go there only when he dies? Now I'm worried!

Ooooohhhh, flashback time to Danafall? I'm super intrigued, more of Meliodas' backstory is always welcome. Also, not-Elizabeth is suspiciously hiding her right eye just as Elizabeth does, what exactly is going on here?

This was a much better episode than the last one. How powerful was Meliodas when his weakened self is already the most powerful member of the Deadly Sins (he does surpass Merlin when he lets out his demonic side)?

Season 2, episode 9: Ban is still around, and can't remember Jericho's name. I'm sure this will change in a dramatic moment later.

Oh, Elizabeth is a druid? Another race for the Deadly Sins and company?

At first I thought this was supposed to be a peaceful illusion to see whether he can snap out of it or not, but now this is much more sinister.

The holy knight trio plus Hendrickson are here as well, that's cool.

This was genuinely moving. The visuals of the happy days with Liz really do invoke some kind of paradise, with the opposite being true for her death scene. And there's always something kind of incongruent about little Meliodas, being the pint sized power house that he is.

Huh, werefoxes exist. And Ban is the Fox Sin, plus he kind of has inhuman teeth. Is he like a half-werefox? This would make Merlin the human of the Sins, and Escanor maybe a member of the Goddess clan, if they have male members?

Looks like it will be Ban backstory time next episode. Can't say I'm really that stoked, I would be much more interested in Merlin flashbacks. I still enjoyed this episode quite a bit, but all those flashbacks are starting to get on my nerves. There are super powerful demons to fight, when to we return to the action?

Season 2, episode 10: Oh god, I so don't care about Ban's backstory.

There's something comical about all these people being so ridiculously jacked. Every guy except the fairy and the doll have 6, 8 or 10 packs, it's ridiculous.

Oh thank god, somebody finally confronts Meliodas over him obviously being a demon. The first part of the episode was extremely boring, the second part was a lot more entertaining. Now there will hopefully be some reveals about Meliodas' past. And although I grumbled about an overabundance of flashbacks these last few episodes, I am so ready for a Meliodas flashback 3000 years ago.

Season 2, episode 11: Cool that King does have some more power than just his sacred treasure. But this interesting fight is instead interrupted by more Ban flashbacks, which I just skipped, I so don't care about them. gently caress off with this poo poo, it's starting to piss me off. I can't imagine watching this one episode per week, or whatever the release schedule was. The episodes to start with the boring parts first, but I think it would still be maddening to wait a week, only to be greeted with more stupid Ban flashbacks.

Oh, right. Elizabeth is still trying to make that seed sprout. I totally forgot about her.

Oooh, right back to the infinitely more interesting drama between King and Meliodas. Why does King lack wings? I wondered the same before, every other fairy seems to have them.

I know we didn't really get answers, but the tension between King and Meliodas is engaging. I also counted the Commandments, and there are indeed 10, so Meliodas isn't one of them.

Meliodas might have control over his wrath now, but something else might make him go out of control again? Seems like a big gamble to take. That said, it's not like they had that much of a choice, what with the power of the Ten Commandments.

Oh, so it's the small guy with similar stature to Meliodas who's his brother? It kind of makes sense, looking at him he's like a darker counterpart. That still makes me wonder about the other one who looks like an older version of Meliodas. Their eldest brother then?

Last one for today, season 2, episode 12: So that is their eldest brother. That's kind of disappointing, I liked my split Meliodas theory more.

Elizabeth being Liz's reincarnation is not a huge surprise.

I feel like Hawk with his power level detector and perfect memory for power levels is some kind of caricature of certain manga/anime fans.

Escanor being more powerful than even restored Meliodas is interesting. I can't wait to see him!

Ooooh, evil revived Elaine! I like this! An opportunity to bring Ban and King together again I suppose. Didn't Elaine have wings when she was still guarding the Fountain of Youth? I'm too lazy to check, but I thought she had wings then. But if I'm wrong, then it's curious that both King and his sister seem to be the only fairies without wings. Are they full fairies, or half fairies then, I wonder?

Wow, evil Elaine might not be that evil? That's kind of surprising, and I didn't expect Ban and Elaine to reunite this fast! I kind of would like for Elaine not to look so child like, her relationship with Ban is a bit creepy due to the visuals, even if she's hundreds of years older than him. I do wonder what she makes of Jericho's presence...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Latest Ranger Reject

drat, Magatia, the hell happened to your face?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sad to hear about Ruri Dragon, hope the author can make a full recovery.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Read Zatch Bell.

Considering doing this. I know that the anime came out in the mid 2000s would you recommend the manga more or are the about equivalent?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
read the manga, watch the very melon scene on youtube. best of both worlds. also, the anime doesn't cover all of the manga.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if Ruri dragon means more Earth Child :ohdear:
So did Reisuke tell anyone about god Chan? The chapter left me confused.

Brought To You By posted:

I'm glad I waited a while to start up the sequel because the opening chapters were good, but then there was a dip in quality until we got to the rest of the horsemen's introduction. It's not bad but coming off end of 7DS I thought the story could have just wrapped up and evil Arthur just comes out of nowhere.

It had a rough start yeah and it little uneven, but it’s curriently pretty fun.
Arthur didn’t come quite from nowhere, he ate Cath. I assume that’s part of the reason.

You’re in for a treat. I think that going through this manga like this it probably holds up well.
Even if there is some weird stuff. Nakaba does a decent job at foreshadowing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Considering doing this. I know that the anime came out in the mid 2000s would you recommend the manga more or are the about equivalent?

I haven't watched much of the anime so I can't speak of it.

Manga is cool though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

Thoughts on last week's batch:

Earthchild: Just loving end it already, goddamn. Is this Shonen Jump's Morbius? Did the editor-in-chief confuse people talking about Earthchild as them liking it? As to the chapter itself, it sure loves talking up the importance of the dad and his special power. It'd be one thing if they kept it vague and said the power of love was what powered up the wife and baby, but it's explicitly the dad turning out to have hidden powers that did so. It also made those scenes where the dad shrugged off the memory wipes to remember meeting Kareri and Mamoru's existence, respectively, feel kind of cheap since it's probably only his power at work there.

Also, everyone is really just gonna shrug and let Waste keep doing its thing, and the family's even going to join it voluntarily. No tearing down the institution, or performing sweeping changes to the rules. Not like it's the cause of so much misery for Earthchildren or anything. Better things just aren't possible, I guess. :laffo:

Witch Watch: I get why the introduced a friend for Miharu so he has someone to interact with, but it kinda reads like a transactional relationship to me. Still, the manga's shown to have some good character development moments so this might be intentional and be addressed later on.

Sakamoto Days: The manga's hit on a pretty good theme now that they're exploring how the JAA is this old system and how it affects other assassins. It does good by putting order in such a chaotic profession and ensuring assassins don't end up killing their competition, as well as making sure everyone's provided with missions. But it can also lead to a situation where Shishiba's mentor became a wanted man who can never see the light of day again or risk being found and killed.

You can see why someone like Slur would want to destroy the JAA. But we don't actually know what Slur's endgame is, which makes it hard to trust his motivations. It's also interesting how his rhetoric is spreading among the impressionable youth, who only hear the words "he'll change things for sure!" and can't even ask what these changes will entail.

Akane-Banashi: While I'd love it if Akane wins and gets her private chat with Issho, it'd be really badass if she loses the competition, but wins by tearing off Issho's congenial mask in public.

High School Family: Still the best gag manga in Jump right now. Sorry, Roboco.

I think both are gonna happen in a way. My thoughts are that she's gonna deliver what is the BEST overall performance and the one Issho likes the most, which will lead to him being ENRAGED since it'll make it clear that Akane has had PROFESSIONAL tutoring in the art and is likely already an apprentice, so her being involved in a competition meant for amateurs is gonna be perceived as a MASSIVELY disrespectful Faux Pas by him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't watched much of the anime so I can't speak of it.

Manga is cool though.

I hear the anime is good though so if you're into long-running shonen anime then go for it imo.

But It doesn't adapt the whole thing so you're gonna need to switch to the manga at some point even if you do go with the anime.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Latest Ranger Reject

drat, Magatia, the hell happened to your face?

probably damage from a divine weapon that hasn't fully healed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

And one last thing, I don't quite understand how Dreyfus survived, and apparently has been possessed by a demon? Didn't Hendrickson melt him down? I'm confused.

He never actually died, he was possessed by a Demon the whole series.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 28, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder if Ruri dragon means more Earth Child :ohdear:

:rms:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Black Clover is back this week

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I forgot that was a break and figured it was over

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if anyone else has been following the Manga Up! story but it sure sounds like a debacle. Manga Up! is a reading app launched by Square Enix which is supposed to be a place where you can read FMA, Soul Eater, My Dress up Darling, etc. It also has exclusive rights to Arakawa's latest series but the app is full of heavy handed censorship and microtransactions designed the nickel and dime you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m not going to use it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if anyone else has been following the Manga Up! story but it sure sounds like a debacle. Manga Up! is a reading app launched by Square Enix which is supposed to be a place where you can read FMA, Soul Eater, My Dress up Darling, etc. It also has exclusive rights to Arakawa's latest series but the app is full of heavy handed censorship and microtransactions designed the nickel and dime you.

I took one look at Manga Up! And backed away slowly humming “a pirates life for me”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Censorship in what way? Whenever I hear that my mind jumps to people complaining about vagina bones

Edit: lol wtf it uses the stupid credits bullshit most webcomic apps use but you don't even pay by chapter. To read one chapter of FMA you need to buy 3 parts

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 28, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Censorship in what way? Whenever I hear that my mind jumps to people complaining about vagina bones

Edit: lol wtf it uses the stupid credits bullshit most webcomic apps use but you don't even pay by chapter. To read one chapter of FMA you need to buy 3 parts
From what I've seen it's black bars on anything suggestive or gory. Meaning I've seen a page posted where an entire panel of someone being dismembered is blacked out leaving only the text box visible. Vagina bone is ironically also something that got tagged and apparently it's done this way to allow the app to be on platforms in as many international regions as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

From what I've seen it's black bars on anything suggestive or gory. Meaning I've seen a page posted where an entire panel of someone being dismembered is blacked out leaving only the text box visible. Vagina bone is ironically also something that got tagged and apparently it's done this way to allow the app to be on platforms in as many international regions as possible.

Weird. I opened FMA to check and Ed's gory missing leg is front and center. Maybe it has something to do with the age check

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently there are at least a few truly weird examples: https://www.glitched.online/square-enixs-manga-up-app-criticised-for-heavily-censored-content/

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Here are some examples I quickly scrubbed from various articles. Thumbnailed because they can uh, look weird.

They clearly just ran some AI pass over the pages and by golly the AI tried its best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah so it is inconsistently about titties.

And in every case it makes it look worse than no censorship so good job thete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The censorship is clearly lazy as poo poo but that barely bothers me.

I won’t use anything that throws microtransaction after microtransaction at you. And them splitting up chapters to nickel and dime you to nth degree is pathetic