Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Murder quotas

E: Murder wallets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the big thing with the opening ceremony is it was an idealised version of Britain's history that speaks only of the theoretical good. Like it loving had a march of the Windrush generation while Theresa May was doing her poo poo that would later be called the Windrush Scandal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lol my office is rewarding people for coming in despite the rail strikes by giving away all the food at the in-house restaurant for free

And the strikes didn't even affect my bus. Get in (my stomach)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

He explicitly said that it was effectively a theatrical staging of 'Jerusalem' - a song where the first verse poses a bunch of questions about religious myth and the second is a bunch of calls to action to create an idealised world.
The second verse is about Blake touching himself. Same as the opening ceremony really.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

I will make murder illegal. Did you know there's no actual written law making murder illegal? I will write one that says it's bad. It's one of the twelve commandments .

I had an argument with a person about pretty much this the other day because they couldn't understand the concept of common law.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I had an argument with a person about pretty much this the other day because they couldn't understand the concept of common law.

Wait you don't have a written law against murder?

Like I'm familiar with Common Law Principles and I understand that the British have an inherent hatred of writing your laws down*, but I would have assumed that you'd still have put murder on the statute books at some point.
Like, it just looks bad if you don't.
Sure we only wrote down ours in the 60's, but we hadn't been our own country up until the 20's. We eventually got it done.

*= See the Constitution or lack there of.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Wait a little and next she will tell the doctors to bring "more" people back to life. I will be honest i really want her to be the next prime minister, but i am French and i was captured by her cheese speech. I also want England to sink into the sea. So....

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Truss PMship vision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8miwsWtzRw

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

The Question IRL posted:

Like I'm familiar with Common Law Principles and I understand that the British have an inherent hatred of writing your laws down*, but I would have assumed that you'd still have put murder on the statute books at some point.
Sure we only wrote down ours in the 60's, but we hadn't been our own country up until the 20's. We eventually got it done.

Nope.

"Murder is defined, at common law rather than by statute, as the unlawful killing of a reasonable person in being under the King or Queen's peace with malice aforethought express or implied." -- Wikipedia

"Murder has never been statutorily defined, despite being recognised as either the most serious crime, or certainly among them."

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 27, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I agree with Liz Truss, the police should murder 20% fewer people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Could you imagine what a statute definition of murder written by Liz Truss would look like?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crispix posted:

i think what the 2012 thing is really about is it was the last big thing that happened while the chattering classes were still able to kid themselves that the chickens would never come home to roost wrt the decades of chronic maladministration of this country and its utterly rotten and incestuous media

fbpe was a prelapsarian movement that needed a vision for a britain that wasn't just racism and corruption.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

Danny Boyle always made it clear that the Olympics ceremony was a distorted, curated vision of how Britain wants to see itself, how it aspires to be, and the relationship with its history that it yearns to have. He explicitly said that it was effectively a theatrical staging of 'Jerusalem' - a song where the first verse poses a bunch of questions about religious myth and the second is a bunch of calls to action to create an idealised world. At no point does the song deal with reality and neither did the Olympic ceremony.

But so many people seem to have missed that and assumed that it was a mirror of reality for the UK in 2012; a place where James Bond saves the NHS and reads everyone a Harry Potter story before bedtime, before a bunch of young, diverse, happy people jump in a fleet of Mini Coopers with Union Jacks on the roof to go to a party were The Who and Blur do the music while Tim Berners-Lee sorts out the
wifi.

And the majority of the people in the progressive media who didn't understand that Danny Boyle's vision of Britain was just as ephemeral and aspirational as whatever hallucinations inspired Blake's words have to live with the fact that they spent many of the intervening years actively working against the best chance in a generation for something like the New Jerusalem to actually exist.

I like the irony of the daily mail and express etc being outraged at purveyor of sick filth danny boyle promoting heroin abuse and child neglect, then 25 years later yearning to crawl back into his perfect vision of britain

Edit: i fully believe the 2012 opening ceremony is the epilogue of a shared cinematic universe with shallow grave, trainspotting, and 28 days later

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 27, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Could you imagine what a statute definition of murder written by Liz Truss would look like?

Police markets

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

"Murder is a very bad thing.
Don't do it!
If you do it, you will go to prison for a thousand years and then have your head cut off!"

But with more backwards R's.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

[1]
.1 Calling Liz Truss a dumbfuck on twitter

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Question IRL posted:

There isn't any reason to make it a statute though. Everyone knows and understands what murder is, and adding a murder statute would just make things more confusing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If the British are to be taken seriously then they must have a statue for breathing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Is this like how the best place to get stabbed in the UK is Glasgow because their doctors are masters of treating knife wounds?

Belfast doctors were cutting edge when it came to knee & leg injuries from the 70s-90s.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I blame Napoleon for the idea absolutely everything must be written down. Ancien regime France had common law just like us.

Edit: pretty sure kneecapping is still a thing? But more for (non sanctioned) drug dealers now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There isn't any reason to make it a statute though. Everyone knows and understands what murder is, and adding a murder statute would just make things more confusing

....After the last six years of Brexit, Trump and the Boris Johnson PM, you still think "unwritten rules are fine. Everyone knows what they mean and what the are supposed to do and writing things down will just be confusing. These things will never be taken advantage of."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Rust Martialis posted:

"Murder is defined... as the unlawful killing of a reasonable person in being under the King or Queen's peace with malice aforethought express or implied."

Compiling my list of unreasonable people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's a difference between a common law understanding of murder, and a tradition of showing integrity in office. How would one prescriptively define that?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

why doesn't she just cut the murder rate by 100%?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

It would be written entirely in crayon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kalensc posted:

^^^ pls

Also gdi frankie boyle. Are any old qi or mock the week regulars still decent folks - bill bailey perhaps? How bout dara
Sandi Toksvig. (She was a QI regular before she was a host.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

....After the last six years of Brexit, Trump and the Boris Johnson PM, you still think "unwritten rules are fine. Everyone knows what they mean and what the are supposed to do and writing things down will just be confusing. These things will never be taken advantage of."
The USA has a rigidly codified set of checks and balances and separation of powers, it didn't stop Trump and it's not stopping the Supreme Court, it just stops centrists who follow them, because at that level it's a matter of power and who wields it.

Heavily codified systems just mean that you can point to the specific subclause they're running roughshod over if you're not in power.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

roomtone posted:

why doesn't she just cut the murder rate by 100%?

It wouldn't be a Tory policy unless at least some innocent people die as a result

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Oh my, you've got to laugh at the audacity but that's a bit much

fuctifino posted:

That Rory news is horrific :(

He was too poor to afford his living costs at Uni, but not too poor for the Uni to keep his £1000 and tell him to gently caress off? loving hell.

RIP

I'll try to add a bit of positive energy to the thread with this nice sight to see. I wonder how long Sam will remain shadow minister after this? https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1552171671129292806

YOU ARE THE LEADER OF THE PARLIAMENTARY WING OF THE TRADE UNION MOVEMENT KEITH OH MY GOD

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Kyran_ONeill/status/1552197587171786752

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

How well did having a written constitution work in protecting American democracy from Trump? The whole Jan 6th attempted coup was justified by an absurd, but literal, reading of the constitution something to do with the accreditation process for the electors who elected the President. Basically a variant of shooting all the electors who won’t vote for you, then handing out a Presidential pardon for the murders.

It was only stopped by an informal process based the Republican equivalent of the 1922 committee,, including iirc Cheney, saying ‘that is obviously loving mad, stop now’.

All countries are actually governed by an unwritten constitution; some just kid themselves otherwise. Once you realise this, you start to make a lot less unforced political errors. Don’t be the German conservatives who went up to Hitler and said ‘emergency period is over, according to the rules you clearly need to step down now’.

History spoiler: this did not end well for them.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

As someone who never heard of this... :airquote: :master: :airquote: before today... I gotta know where he got the funeral leaflet

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

radmonger posted:

All countries are actually governed by an unwritten constitution; some just kid themselves otherwise. Once you realise this, you start to make a lot less unforced political errors. Don’t be the German conservatives who went up to Hitler and said ‘emergency period is over, according to the rules you clearly need to step down now’.

It's this. America's Cumrag (they spend their time jerking off on it and discard it when it's inconvenient) is worth the paper it's written on i.e. not loving much. What matters is power. If you can circumvent it by saying No I Don't Think I Will, what good is it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why the American right have shifted from the Constitution to a weirdo regressive Christian Nationalism, because that allows even more latitude to just make poo poo up (god said so)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Guavanaut posted:

Murdering is the act of anyone murdering anyone who;
a) is white ango Saxon;
b) and voted for the conservative;
c) and was born in England;
d) and goes to Church;
e) and is a patriot who voted leave.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
This might be naive of me but I think some places will upload a pdf of funeral booklets for people who didn't make it but wanted one, so he probably just printed one off himself. How he knew his mother died etc is another matter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bizarre by Hadley Freeman

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1552244056247476226

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

This really is one of the points in the anti-trans campaign when it becomes extremely and blatantly obvious that it's an astroturf by American fundies who are completely unfamiliar with stuff like British children's entertainment.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1552273899047493633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Actually the crowd of nazis standing outside the library and shouting at parents walking in about pedophiles are very sensible and have good points that we should listen to, I am reasonable and insightful