Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I feel the intent of FE3H was to play most routes blind. See the flaws and majesty of each. Much like Byleth, walking each path.

Then, to decide what's most appealing to you, and make it the best. Edelgard instigates a war against evil's most banal form. Dimitri fights to preserve what is occurring today, because peace is an absence of war. Claude fights for Silver Snow's plotline with him awkwardly inserted and also the Whole Truth which I am certain makes a hella difference to all the people ground to dust under the Crest system. Seteth fights to preserve a ruling class in Silver Snow, because what's important is Flayn and burn everyone else today was fine if you cannot perceive the suffering. Then to pull everyone you can into Crimson Flower and break their shackles, then to realize it's a video game and who lives and dies because they have a face doesn't matter. Anyway, Dedue licks the boots of the nation that genocide his. What shitpost did I miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like Three Hopes a lot better for making most of Faerghus impossible to recruit, and a lot of the Eagles in return too. It feels truer that those people wouldn't defect.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They should have just limited you to ~3 recruits. Let’s you get some extra interactions, but still makes you kill a bunch of the students so the fights have more impact. This is a restriction I tend to impose on myself in three houses, but it should have been baseline imo.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
for my three houses runs I deliberately only recruited a smattering of characters each time, with the exception of my current SS run where I'm recruiting everybody (as I'm reliably informed its the worst route so might as well gently caress around)

The way Hopes does it is good but two things it needs imo

1. The Deer need more recruits

2. Once the final chapter is done you should be able to train every character you've ever had at the grounds, even if they're not on that route. Add in a way to get more training points also, every X levels cleared in the record keeper or something

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I consistently recruit everyone in Three Houses, but honestly, it's less about wanting a perfect ending where no one I could have recruited dies and more that I tried limiting myself once on my second run and the second half felt really boring and empty without a steady stream of paralogues to break up the endless cycle of "cook a +1 spd meal, eat like 6 lunches, do some drills, repeat until plot battle." Hopes works a lot better for leaving recruits on the table because there isn't really an equivalent period where a pile of extra paralogues from hoovering up every possible PC feels necessary to break up the monotony.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The answer is that in CF

You recruit:

Raphael to kill Ignatz
Marianne to kill Hilda
Felix to kill Sylvain, Ingrid, His Dad and Dimitri
Annette to kill her Dad
Shamir to kill Catherine
Constance to kill Mercedes
Yuri to kill Gwendal
Hapi to kill Cornelia

Ashe to turn into a pair of boots.
Lorenz to turn into Thyrsus

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Recruiting Ashe in GW as my first run, only to have him mope around camp the entire time, did not leave a good first impression on me.

Conversely Linhardt did not seem to give a gently caress and therefore I loved him, although I felt kinda bad about separating him from his boyfriend.

No I have not played Three Houses.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Some of the recruits feel bad. Dorothea in Azure Gleam is the forerunner for me, but Ashe in SB/GW is hot on her heels. Kinda tragic the only way Ashe can be “happy” is to kill the guy that took him and his family off the streets when he found them stealing from him in a starving desperation.

Everything to do with Lonato in AG felt a lot less weightier than 3 Houses.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It felt very hosed up that Dimitri's first response wasn't to try and figure why Lonato had such beef with the church but to instead just call for his head.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hunt11 posted:

It felt very hosed up that Dimitri's first response wasn't to try and figure why Lonato had such beef with the church but to instead just call for his head.

To be fair Dimitri is really, really not suited for power

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Clawtopsy posted:

Some of the recruits feel bad. Dorothea in Azure Gleam is the forerunner for me, but Ashe in SB/GW is hot on her heels. Kinda tragic the only way Ashe can be “happy” is to kill the guy that took him and his family off the streets when he found them stealing from him in a starving desperation.

Dorothea is so sad in AG and they gave her only one small AG specific support so it’s like what is the point here, why have you done this?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Clawtopsy posted:

Knights of Seiros aren't people.

The hell you saying about Shamir and Alois?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
How well does 3 Hopes run in handheld mode compared to docked? I'm wondering if it's worth delaying buying this until I can consitently have access to a TV I can play it on or not. I'd rather not play it handheld if it's demonstrably worse but I'm also not going to explode like the bus from Speed if the FPS dips below 30, so as long as the game's not turning into a slideshow every other minute it's probably fine for me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

midnight lasagna posted:

How well does 3 Hopes run in handheld mode compared to docked? I'm wondering if it's worth delaying buying this until I can consitently have access to a TV I can play it on or not. I'd rather not play it handheld if it's demonstrably worse but I'm also not going to explode like the bus from Speed if the FPS dips below 30, so as long as the game's not turning into a slideshow every other minute it's probably fine for me.

Played it in handheld mode a lot and didn't notice any real drop.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They both get the good sense to quit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shamir is a subcontractor, not an employee, the title is for legal reasons only.
Well, they haven't invented subcontractors yet, but she's totally one.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alternately: These characters are my precious friends and I don't want to do a murder on them.
If I wanted to play a TRPG that just constantly gut-punches me all the time I'd play Triangle Strategy (I bounced off Triangle Strategy).
I've decided that realistic writing isn't actually great after all because I play video games to escape from reality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ChrisBTY posted:

Alternately: These characters are my precious friends and I don't want to do a murder on them.

This is what it comes down to, really.

Except Bernie's dad. I'd buy DLC that was just different ways to kill him.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

midnight lasagna posted:

I only ever play in handheld mode and weirdly the only time I get any stuttering is running around camp. Battles have been totally smooth.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

This is what it comes down to, really.

Except Bernie's dad. I'd buy DLC that was just different ways to kill him.

Anyone that makes bernie cry, really. Except Lindhart, because she's crying at the thought of losing him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hunt11 posted:

To be fair, Lonato's rebellion comes in the middle of a half dozen slitherer/Cornelia pushed rebellions, and is also stated very openly to be a slitherer pushed rebellion as well. It sucks because we know Lonato personally, but this game literallt confirmed that the Western Church leadership had long since been supplanted and replaced by slitherers, since before Christophe's rebellion.

I will say that its not a terribly well written piece of conflict though. It's implied that Cornelia convinced Lonato to move without imperial support (in SB, not AG) which caused his early rebellion which throws the imperial war out of balance and causes the Kingdom to be able to take victory after victory, rather than an easy win. But even if you bring Ashe there's no real touching dialogue between them, Lonato just says 'stand down Ashe, I've come too far to be stopped now!' With no attempt at explaining himself.

That whole plotline would make more sense if the Slitherers had just body swapped Lonato, rather than him suddenly being like 'you know what I should do days before the massive imperial army shows up for my secret allegiance swap? I should announce that I side with the empire, and ride off in a suicide charge to go try and kill the Archbishop myself'

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly the whole thing in both Houses and Hopes can be explained by the fact that Lonato is just kind of a loving moron. He's a minor lord with one castle and a pittance of an army, to the point that in both games he has to gather up a peasant rabble to have anything even resembling a real military force. In Houses his plan is to march across the Kingdom to the Monastery where he'll... uh, just get his loving rear end kicked I guess, like bro you're marching some peasants towards a heavily fortified defensive position in the mountains guarded by some of the greatest knights on the planet. In Hopes meanwhile his plan is to march across the Kingdom to Firdiad and - again - get his loving rear end kicked by the combined armies of the northern lords who he knows very well are 100% loyal to Dimitri and employ the best armies in the kingdom. This one is particularly stupid because all he had to do was wait like a week and a bunch of other western nobles + the empire would have hopped on board with him. Instead he decides to Leeroy Jenkins his rebellion because, uh, ???

Sorry Ashe but your adoptive father is a dipshit and honestly everybody's kinda better off with his dumb rear end dead.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I honestly doubt that Lonato actually thinks he can succeed. I think he's trying to suicide by cop knight but because he's a Lord he's dragging his whole territory into it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Epi Lepi posted:

Dorothea is so sad in AG and they gave her only one small AG specific support so it’s like what is the point here, why have you done this?

To let you know that you are effectively taking them hostage/prisoner rather than switching classes like in Three Houses.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I forgot what a delightful character awaited me on my third route

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

I love how bad they feel. It's super depressing and tragic and exactly what I wanted.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

they both gently caress off from the Knights of Seiros with very little convincing, they're alright people

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I love how bad they feel. It's super depressing and tragic and exactly what I wanted.
:emptyquote:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Yeah, it's good. It does lead to some weird moments if you use them in Azure Gleam - Ashe is understandably like "aw nerts I sided with the people who killed Ingrid and betrayed my homeland I can never go back to being a knight or back to Faerghus" so his reason for sticking around in SB is kind of apparent.

Petra, Bernie and Dorothea all feel very forced when facing Edelgard, though. Petra's like. I won't betray my army a SECOND time Edelgard and I'm like. Why not? Dorothea is like "I really do not want to do this at all" and Edelgard's response is she will defeat her and take her back to Adrestia herself and it's like. That is what Dorothea wants. why is dorothea still fighting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Many of the recruits in hopes feel very goofy. Not sure why most of these guys are cool fighting against their pals.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Many of the recruits in hopes feel very goofy. Not sure why most of these guys are cool fighting against their pals.

Most of them are explicitly not okay with it and you are literally blackmailing them into it!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

Yeah, it's good. It does lead to some weird moments if you use them in Azure Gleam - Ashe is understandably like "aw nerts I sided with the people who killed Ingrid and betrayed my homeland I can never go back to being a knight or back to Faerghus" so his reason for sticking around in SB is kind of apparent.

Petra, Bernie and Dorothea all feel very forced when facing Edelgard, though. Petra's like. I won't betray my army a SECOND time Edelgard and I'm like. Why not? Dorothea is like "I really do not want to do this at all" and Edelgard's response is she will defeat her and take her back to Adrestia herself and it's like. That is what Dorothea wants. why is dorothea still fighting.

Bernie says that she refuses to return home, that she'd rather fight her friends than be near her father.

Petra says she's found a new path for Brigid, out from under the Empire.

Dorothea is the only one who acts like she is 100% willing to go home and doesn't wanna fight.

Edit: honestly, discussing Bernie for a second, it's still really funny to me how stupidly spiteful the whole count Varley thing is. Edelgard chooses a dumb ironic punishment for him over just disappearing him like Hubert indicates he is readily able to do. And all this does is cause minor problems in the pursuit of her goals, all so she can torment the guy a little.

Everyone would be happier if he was just dead.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 28, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's funny when in SB and GW when you recruit people from the Alliance/Empire in the first bit of the game and then they become your allies but they're still like... people you defeated who defected to your side. Linhardt has a funny line about this in GW where you ask if he wants to go back to being an Empire noble and he's like "no way! I hated that!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Most of them are explicitly not okay with it and you are literally blackmailing them into it!

It doesn't always feel that way when i'm playing them or seeing their supports.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The recruits in general are a concession to happy videogame funtime but if you go too deep into it then it gets weird really quickly. You can't even really do any handwaving about the Crest of Flames' magical charisma powers because Shez doesn't have the Crest of Flames or any other crest at all for that matter.

It makes perfect sense that Ingrid might want to hang out with a class of Adrestians for a nice change of pace, less so that a woman so fixated on the ideals of knighthood would then go on to spontaneously side with her king's enemies five years after the commencement of hostilities. Especially when e.g. Ashe and Lorenz need to be re-recruited after the timeskip but Ingrid's like yeah sick kill all my old childhood friends sure thing lemme just go get my pegasus and I'll be right there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sapozhnik posted:

The recruits in general are a concession to happy videogame funtime but if you go too deep into it then it gets weird really quickly. You can't even really do any handwaving about the Crest of Flames' magical charisma powers because Shez doesn't have the Crest of Flames or any other crest at all for that matter.

It makes perfect sense that Ingrid might want to hang out with a class of Adrestians for a nice change of pace, less so that a woman so fixated on the ideals of knighthood would then go on to spontaneously side with her king's enemies five years after the commencement of hostilities.

I mean Ingrid can't be recruited on either of the other routes for exactly that reason. In fact she's an absolutely required death on SB. I think Ashe and Mercedes are literally the only Lions you can recruit on the other routes at all.

Unless you're talking about Houses instead of Hopes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's also weird that you're stuck between conscription and straight up killing. Like, Ashe, I'm never gonna field you, I have the full roster of Black Eagles at my disposal, you don't have to hang around camp. You can go stay with Lonato, or even back to Fearghus if you want. It's not like you've actually attacked anyone from the Kingdom, you just surrendered. I'm pretty sure getting taken prisoner is not treason.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Bernie says that she refuses to return home, that she'd rather fight her friends than be near her father.

Petra says she's found a new path for Brigid, out from under the Empire.

Dorothea is the only one who acts like she is 100% willing to go home and doesn't wanna fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQ9fxjzkfs

This is the dialogue I'm referring to? Edelgard offers Petra the chance to return home, and Petra says she won't turncoat a second time. Bernie is simply scared, and Edelgard offers her pleasant advice. Dorothea says "I fought and I lost and have no excuses". Edelgard responds she's taking her home.

e: Over the course of the game, in camp, all the characters can expand on why they're remaining. Face to face with Edelgard, it feels kind of weak.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: honestly, discussing Bernie for a second, it's still really funny to me how stupidly spiteful the whole count Varley thing is. Edelgard chooses a dumb ironic punishment for him over just disappearing him like Hubert indicates he is readily able to do. And all this does is cause minor problems in the pursuit of her goals, all so she can torment the guy a little.

Everyone would be happier if he was just dead.

I don't think it matters who she shoves into that position at first as there was always going to be viewed poorly by certain portions of Fodlan. Better to put someone in there who she doesn't care that much about dying then someone who is actually important.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think it matters who she shoves into that position at first as there was always going to be viewed poorly by certain portions of Fodlan. Better to put someone in there who she doesn't care that much about dying then someone who is actually important.

He was also already the Empire’s religion guy so going from “minister of religious affairs” to “leader of church” was probably an easy call to make for everyone even if it meant he couldn’t just get the axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Eh, someone's gotta be the archbishop, and the alternative is saddling someone she actually likes and trusts with that lot.