Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Here's a monster!

AITA for dropping out as MOH in my older sister’s wedding?

quote:

Backstory: I (23f) have 2 sisters, Jenna (25), Summer (19) and a brother, Jason (22). My parents also took in a family member, Rachel (11) a few months ago.

Rachel has been through some poo poo. She doesn’t talk, she never lets go of this little stuffed elephant, and she follows my mom everywhere. She can’t go to school yet because my mom and her therapist agree that it would be too much for her. Rachel is the sweetest kid ever, though. She’s always down to cuddle and watch a Disney movie and she has the cutest smile. I was even allowed to touch her elephant the other day.

Jenna has always been a pretty difficult person. She hasn’t lived at home in a while. She moved out for college, moved back home for a few months, then moved in with her boyfriend, now fiancé. My parents have been using her room as a guest room but they never changed anything about it. Rachel has also been staying there.

My parents are going to adopt Rachel and they want to turn Jenna’s old room into Rachel’s new room. They told Jenna they’re turning her old room into Rachel’s room so she needs to come and go through her stuff and decide what she wants to keep and what she wants to donate/throw away.

Jenna said they can find another place to put Rachel and she’s not giving up her room. My parents said they already made their decision and Jenna made an ultimatum: either our parents keep her room the way it is or she goes NC.

My dad and I packed all of Jenna’s stuff into boxes and put it in an empty garage. We painted Rachel’s new room, put together furniture, and filled the closet with new clothes and toys. We even built in a snack bar. Rachel loves it. She’s starting to stay in her room more (before she’d only go in her room if she needed to change or sleep) and I’m pretty sure I heard her talking to her elephant. Not as good as talking to a person but we’ll take it.

The problem is, now Jenna and my parents are in a huge fight. Jenna went NC and uninvited my parents from her wedding. In retaliation, my parents announced that they wouldn’t pay for half of the wedding anymore and they’re not going to pay the down payment on a house for Jenna and her fiancé (their wedding present). This has caused Jenna to call them abusive and neglectful to anyone that’ll listen.

I was supposed to be her MOH but I can’t believe she’s acting like this so I dropped out of the wedding party. Now Jenna’s even madder and her fiancé is saying the entire family is being cruel to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No, no, when I said I was going "no contact" that only applied to you, not your money!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Right in my veins, hnnnnnnngh

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As soon as the elephant was mentioned I was convinced Jenna was going to disembowel it and hang it from the ceiling fan in Rachel's room.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Here's a monster!

lol Jennowned

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Here's a monster!

Lol, woman you are getting married wtf are you going to do with your childhood room.
drat, I wish I had a snack bar as a kid.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting custody of my grandson?

Seems like we're missing some details here.

She can have a little cancer, as a treat.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Here's a monster!

Jenna keeps using those words, no contact. I do not think it means what she thinks it means.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Here's a monster!

Good on the family here. It's nice to know (most of) the family is sticking up for the kid that sounds like she's been through some real hosed up trauma

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I swear I saw that the other day from the point of view of the parents. Though at that point I think it was just threats and not full escalation.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'if you don't do what I want, I'll stop talking to you!'

'ok no problem, let's not talk anymore then'

'w....w-wait, no, I didn't think you'd be ok with it!!'

love it when the trash takes itself out

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Can someone link (And add to the google doc in the first post) the one where the woman's friends were using her to test their relationship theories leading her to be a single mom after divorcing her husband and she slowly realized none of them did all the things they pushed her to do?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Someone who's not living with you stopping by unannounced is a bit weird. But that's come up before, and some people are more ok with the concept than others.

Still that's just a minor detail compared to the :stare: in the comment there. Now some lampshades he wants to keep private is looking more likely.

Yeah, this was my exact whiplash as well. Giving someone a key for emergencies does not mean they can just let themselves in unannounced whenever. But this dude just seems like he hates his girlfriend.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
My wife thinks I'm spending too much time with my parents

quote:

My wife (38f) got upset yesterday when I said I was going to go to my (41m) parents house to help them with a couple handyman things. She claims I spend too much time with them and they abuse my availability. For context, they are elderly in their 80s and I just moved them across the country to be closer to us in case of emergency and to see them more because I was only seeing them once a year if that and less so with covid restrictions last few years. They are new in town, about 3 months in, and of course there is a ton of work to be done at their new place.

When I go to their house I am out maybe 3 to 4 hours over some handy work and dinner/hanging out. I usually go once a week, sometimes over the weekend I may go to bring my daughter over and enjoy the pool together. I expect over the next few months to see them less often, because the handy work will be completed. My wife never comes along, I'll say my parents are not agreeable people so for good reason, I'll agree she doesn't have to come along. But I struggle with her getting so upset for me wanting to go offer a helping hand.

It got to the point where yesterday I had to cancel going over to my parents how upset she got over it, so instead we did dinner and a movie at home. I got upset with her because I don't ever go out, since I work from home we're together all the time but she claims it's not quality time. I wanted to set my foot down and say I don't go drinking with friends, I don't go to the gym, I don't play video games, I don't go do anything for myself and going to see my parents should not be an issue. Is it? should it be?

TL;DR: My wife is upset that I don't see how "sick" it is that I go to my parents twice a week. that she didn't expect my parents moving to our city would take so much time off our own family. I don't know what to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woodchip posted:

My wife thinks I'm spending too much time with my parents

My wife never comes along, I'll say my parents are not agreeable people so for good reason, I'll agree she doesn't have to come along.

This seems to be a load bearing statement.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As soon as the elephant was mentioned I was convinced Jenna was going to disembowel it and hang it from the ceiling fan in Rachel's room.

Holy crap I read that story with a pit in my stomach waiting for the angry adult woman to do something terrible to that poor child's comfort stuffed animal out of spite.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
him having absolutely no hobbies strikes me as a real issue tbh

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Here's a monster!

wait, it's even better:

OP posted:

They’re planning on moving soon, like they’ll be in a new house by this time next year. She was going to have to get her stuff anyway.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

him having absolutely no hobbies strikes me as a real issue tbh

Bit hard to have hobbies when your primary reason for being is to work and provide quality time at least 6 days a week.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for leaving during an evening with my GF to go help my ex ?

quote:

Me (24M) and my ex GF (24F) broke up a little bit over 2 years ago.

1 year before our break up we adpted a dog « bean ». I am no going to lie we were the kind of crazy pet owners, he was like our kid. Our break up was mutual and at the end we were more friends/roomates than a couple. The hardest part was figuring out what to do with Bean. We both wanted to keep him in our lives so we decided in an arrangement to please both of us.

She has the bigger garden and she often work at home so she has him most of the time. I often go on hikes on the week end and she has to travel for work once a month so I have him at least a week each month and on the week ends.

I have the code to the gate of her garden so when it’s my turn I just go and get him. Her brother is one of my closest friend and I hike with him so during the week end he is the one getting him.

If we talk it’s mostly to give small update about our families (we know each other since we were 15) and the dog.

I know this arrangement is unusual but Bean is our dog and right now both of us can’t imagine not having him in our life.

6 months ago I met Ana (25F), she is now my GF. She never complained or said anything about how things work with Bean.

This Monday Ana came ove to mine. It was just a casual evening/night together. Around 10 my ex called me in tears. A neighbour came in the afternoon to deliver something and she forgot to close the gate. When my ex came back Bean was missing. She told me that her and her BF looked around but couldn’t find him and they were going to call more people to search for him. I told her that I was comming. I asked Ana if she wanted to come but she refused. When I arrived at my ex’s place a few people were here to help. Her bf, her brother, the neighbour and her family and some of our friends.

Anyway it took us over 1h but we finally found him. He was fine. We took him home I gave him a lot of hugs, said bye and left. I came home and Ana was already in bed. When I tried to talk to her she told me that she was tired and didn’t want to talk.

The next day she was cold and barely talked to me but after work she called me to talk and kind of exploded on the phone. She said that I left her to go with my ex and that she was hurt. That I chose to spent the night with my ex and our friends rather than with her. I tried to explain that I only went because of Bean but she refused to listen to me.

According to her there were enough people to find Bean and my ex didn’t need my help. Which is true but he is still my dog and it’s my job to be here for him. Even our friends came to help.

I want to add this is the only time that something like that happened since we broke up.

Honestly I don’t know what to think. In my mind I did the right thing but Ana said that I neglected her.

My friends don’t get along well with her so if I ask them they will be biased.

Never jeopardize the Bean

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I wonder if that woman has daydream fantasies of her husband going out drinking with his friends or playing video games instead, lol.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for leaving during an evening with my GF to go help my ex ?

Look, if you get into a relationship with a joint custody agreement, you're just gonna have to expect to make some sacrifices

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

El Spamo posted:

drat, I wish I had a snack bar as a kid.
My wife and I fostered kids for a while. We had designated snack boxes for them, each individually decorated and labeled, from which they could take stuff out and eat any time they wanted. This was key for some of the kids because of food insecurity they had suffered in their lives. And, based on the story, it definitely sounds like the poor kid had some neglect (and thus maybe food insecurity) in her past.

The key difference is that all food had to be eaten at the dining room table and not in the bedroom; I wouldn't want to deal with the mess and terrifying discoveries of food wrappers and half-eaten food under the bed, etc.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Bit hard to have hobbies when your primary reason for being is to work and provide quality time at least 6 days a week.

She's controlling and doesn't value him. A good person tries to make time for their partner to spend time away, and expects the same in return. She considers herself to basically own his time and he's trying to spend it in a way she didn't approve.

My ex used to get real bent out of shape if I arrived home 10 minutes later than I'd said, never mind traffic or buying gas. Over time it turned out to be nothing more than she thought she owned me. For some reason me texting her that I was leaving work (at a consistent time) and coming straight home wasn't good enough. She actually considered me unsharing my phone location with her as a step on the road to divorce.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

She's controlling and doesn't value him. A good person tries to make time for their partner to spend time away, and expects the same in return. She considers herself to basically own his time and he's trying to spend it in a way she didn't approve.

My ex used to get real bent out of shape if I arrived home 10 minutes later than I'd said, never mind traffic or buying gas. Over time it turned out to be nothing more than she thought she owned me. For some reason me texting her that I was leaving work (at a consistent time) and coming straight home wasn't good enough. She actually considered me unsharing my phone location with her as a step on the road to divorce.

He's choosing to spend every weekend with his parents instead of her. Worse, he's taking the daughter so he's the one isolating her from the family on the weekends.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Taking your daughter out once a week to see her grandparents for a few hours doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. You're fully making poo poo up, Alchenar.

quote:

When I go to their house I am out maybe 3 to 4 hours over some handy work and dinner/hanging out. I usually go once a week, sometimes over the weekend I may go to bring my daughter over and enjoy the pool together. I expect over the next few months to see them less often

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah whatever you want to say about the guy, the wife’s being insanely weird

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think that one's tough because it seems like there's a lot going on between the lines. If you believe the comments, he's spending what sounds like a perfectly normal amount of time with the wife and kid hanging out and going places, but then he also feels a bit squirrely about how much time he's spending at his parents. And then there's the whole thing where the parents aren't really just "not agreeable", it turns out they hate the wife and pull out the whole "stealing him away from us" card.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think that one's tough because it seems like there's a lot going on between the lines. If you believe the comments, he's spending what sounds like a perfectly normal amount of time with the wife and kid hanging out and going places, but then he also feels a bit squirrely about how much time he's spending at his parents. And then there's the whole thing where the parents aren't really just "not agreeable", it turns out they hate the wife and pull out the whole "stealing him away from us" card.

I mean if that’s true then it would seem the amount of time being spent isn’t actually the issue there

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I want to know more about the initial decision to move the disagreeable parents to be closer to them.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
The whole "I don't go to the gym or have hobbies" thing strikes me as a weird statement. The only things these actions have in common with helping his parents out is that they are time away from his wife. I wonder if she has argued with him that he shouldn't have those things either, and that he should be spending 100% of his time with her.

So in his head, he's making a rational argument to this expectation: "I am not spending that much time away from you - look, I have already compromised by not having any hobbies or going to the gym" when his response should be, "it is a ridiculous expectation to have me around 24/7. I need to have a relationship with my family, my own time for taking care of myself, and my own time for pursuing joy." He is trying to be reasonable in a situation that is anything but.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Controlling behavior is perfectly fine if the person has a good reason for it. Like they're bored or they're lonely because their partner left the house for three hours.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

house of the dad posted:

Controlling behavior is perfectly fine if the person has a good reason for it. Like they're bored or they're lonely because their partner left the house for three hours.

In a crazy twist the OP realizes he is married to a dog and every time he leaves the house she thinks he is gone for good.

Hughlander posted:

Can someone link (And add to the google doc in the first post) the one where the woman's friends were using her to test their relationship theories leading her to be a single mom after divorcing her husband and she slowly realized none of them did all the things they pushed her to do?

I got you

AITA for breaking up with my friend group for horrible relationship advice that broke up my marriage?
rear end in a top hat

quote:

My main group of friends is 4 other women I met at university 10 years ago.

We all met basically on the first week of the first year and have stayed tight with each other done then alive 10 years ago. I used to think they were all bad rear end and looked to them for advice for a lot of stuff including relationships. I started seeing my now ex-husband 6 years ago, we got married 2 years ago got separated 1 year ago and now divorce is final.

A lot of the problems we had was me acting on, what in hind sight seems like, bad advice given to me by my friends. Examples:

Just after our engagement they convinced me that I shouldn't change my last name or hyphenate because it was old fashioned and oppressive, even though Mark told me early on that it was an important thing to him

They planted doubts in my mind about how what originally I thought were innocent comments by his mom were jabs she was taking at me and pushed me to force Mark to stand up for me to his mom

Convinced me that I need to ration sex because some stupid reason that I bought into then that doesn't make sense now.

Convinced me that when we have kids they should take my last name because I would be giving birth and again we shouldn't support old fashioned traditions.

With the last fight Mark had enough and said he wanted out and initiated the break up. I was devastated, I foolishly thought he'd never leave me because again my friends convinced me that I was way out of his league and that he would never leave me.

I decided I can't be friends with these women any more because not only did they give me really bad advice but when each of them for married none of them followed any of the advice that had been SO important when they told me. They each took they husband last names. They all bend over backwards to get along with their in-laws. No rationing of sex. No more kids need to get mother's last name talk.

This just pissed me off and I confronted them,I told them they were just using my marriage as a playground to test their stupid relationship theories and that they only started really thinking things through when it came to their own relationships. I told them I couldn't be friends with them any more.

They are saying I'm being unreasonable and that they told me what they thought was best at the time and that no one held a gun to my head. They said now that they've been in the position things are different and that they're saying it's a lot more important to go along to get along.

That's true, I'm probably going to be regretting for the rest of my life not using enough of my own judgement in my own life decisions. But the thought that I had a good guy that I pushed away because of their advice is just too much for me. WIBTA for cutting them loose?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/co5chc/aita_for_breaking_up_with_my_friend_group_for/

The link still works too .

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
EDIT: HOLY loving poo poo ^^^^^^^

I think it's also important to point out that his parents are in their 80s. They're getting up in years, and that's got to weigh on his mind a bit.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 27, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

vonnegutt posted:

The whole "I don't go to the gym or have hobbies" thing strikes me as a weird statement. The only things these actions have in common with helping his parents out is that they are time away from his wife. I wonder if she has argued with him that he shouldn't have those things either, and that he should be spending 100% of his time with her.

So in his head, he's making a rational argument to this expectation: "I am not spending that much time away from you - look, I have already compromised by not having any hobbies or going to the gym" when his response should be, "it is a ridiculous expectation to have me around 24/7. I need to have a relationship with my family, my own time for taking care of myself, and my own time for pursuing joy." He is trying to be reasonable in a situation that is anything but.

yeah exactly - this was what I was picking up too. the real issue is he doesn't have enough space to develop himself as a human being outside of work

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA: for my response when my boyfriend brought up the apartment purchaee/ownership infront of his family?

good thing you're planning to marry this guy OP, wouldn't want to let him get away

My brain keeps putting "previous" in front of boyfriend.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

My brain keeps putting "previous" in front of boyfriend.

You seem to be ignoring all his positive qualities, such as

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I think it's also important to point out that his parents are in their 80s. They're getting up in years, and that's got to weigh on his mind a bit.

Truth. My mother passed last year at 86. I retired earlier than I wanted to help take care of her and she went downhill faster than we expected.
Dad is still going strong at 84 despite surviving 2 heart attacks but we know the clock is ticking so we make a point of seeing him as much
as we can.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Nae posted:

I want to know more about the initial decision to move the disagreeable parents to be closer to them.

Sometimes you don’t get a choice. My mother’s parents announced one day that they were selling their house and moving 10 minutes away from us. This was several years after my parents moved states to get away from them. I guess moving near one of their non-scapegoat children wasn’t an option because ????

Anyway, they’re dead now. :toot:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for insisting on attending my sister's wedding?

quote:

I f32 been dating John m37 for 2 years. He's a single dad to 3 kids [4m (jr) ,6m,9m]. I moved in with him and his kids a little while ago. I gave to say that he's super protective of his kids, I haven't been able to meet them til later because he said they might not like me and so he started easing them into accepting me by encouraging me and pushing me to be "extra friendly" to them by buying them stuff and cooking for them daily.

He's very busy often times, and the boys have now clinged on to me because they see me more than they see him. Don't get me wrong; I'm grateful for this outcome but the issue is that I can't be away from them for a long time. More than hours. Now that I'd moved in I can't go anywhere without taking them with me. I can barely have time for myself but what's worse is that my work got interrupted by that. John suggested I work less hours but it didn't happen.

Now my sister is getting married soon. It'll be held hours away so I'll have to travel. The invitation stated "child-free" so I can't take the kids. When John heard about this he told me to immediately call and apologize cause I won't be attending. I was stunned I asked why and he went on about how much the kids adore me and how they'll go crazy when I'm hours away from them. besides, that he's too busy to look after them. I said it's not my fault and he should either take time off work and stay with them or get a babysitter. He threw a fit about how selfish and unfeeling I was and that he will only let me attend the wedding when I tell my sister to let the kids come but I can't ask such thing of her! I INSISTED on going after he kept saying I shouldn't go. He went and told the boys that I was looking for an excuse to get some time away from then and now they won't even speak to me. I confronted him about what he did and he said it's the result of me "insisting" on going to the wedding and choosing my sister over my stepkids. He even said I should be thankful the kids "accept" me for who I am and are giving me this much attention. I was speechless and felt offended.

AITA for standing my ground and wanting to go? She's my only sister and we have a great relationship so not attending her wedding can cause issues.

EDITING SOME INFORMATION: to answer the question about the biological mom. His eldest is from his late wife. He then dated his ex girlfriend and had his middle and youngest child with her. Now she's out of the picture. The eldest user to be kind of distant from his half brothers and had issues with them for years. I was left to navigate through that and help him re-bond with them. Like I said all of them like to spend time with me so as a result they are bonding together, which is a great thing. John was clearly too busy to try to fix this problem a long time ago.

brb, gonna go ask r/relationship_advice what to do when my bangnanny gets uppity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

hallo spacedog posted:

The "can't do chores cause I'll break stuff" feels like a classic abusive line. When she gets frustrated with him he will "clean" and start breaking her important or sentimental stuff and then say "not my fault, I'm clumsy and it was an accident, this is your fault for asking too much of me."

I get that impression too